Chapter 3: The Long Road Back (Rob's Challenge)

Rob__

You're welcome Rob ^_^

I'm watching you. 

I'm totally going to have to do a do-over. Especially now that I feel I could have gotten all 4 eps in if it wasn't almost 1am... Totally not sore.

Holy, scrolling

Pft. Scrolling would probably be a lot easier.

Holy moly that is a lot of arm work. It looks not nearly as much fun as the drinking version though. 

Pick the right episode and you'll get trashed. Regardless which version of the event you pick. Plus - let me tell you, it's super fun sitting there counting the yells of "exterminate" as your eyes widen when they don't show any sign of stoppage anytime soon...

There is no signature here.

Wow.

So, how did you manage this? I mean logistics-wise. Were you able to do most of them while still watching, or did you often have to pause and do them and then restart?

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

DAY 11 (

)

The Negativland/"That's ridiculous, it's not even funny" comes from an online game that I used to play. Not the song. But just the knowledge of it. And the frequent That's ridiculous... response whenever I encounter the number 11. Some things just stick in your head... Yesterday was supposed to be a rest day but apparently I don't know what that means. This means one of two things 1) I'm super bored. 2) The extra calories are buzzing around 3) Now that I'm not sick, I have the energy to do things all the time. I'm not sore today. There's a little back tenderness from all the pullups. I think the dead lift warmup should work it out though.

When we talk about yesterday's food, there won't be anything magical to discuss. Well, except for the fact I got whey again. Not that I need it to hit protein markers, I just like it for fast-absorption post workout (here's a couple reasons - nutrition nerd alert: The Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition {jISSN} has a shit ton of quality free full-text reports and position statements. All are heavily sourced). Since you asked, I got +269 which isn't great, but isn't terrible considering that it was a rest day so I wasn't doing any heavy lifting. If it's not raining tonight, I'm going to schedule a midnight feast. The not raining is critical to the plan. Cooking inside on the overnight upsets the stomach of one of the parental units (something about the smells while drifting off), and I just really don't want to hear her cranky. And hey - that just means lots of grilled meat and maybe a large sweet potato.

Today's Special

1. Dead lift 5+ day. 205, 220, 235. It will take 11 reps for a PR. I'm pretty sure I can manage it as long as I don't try for a fast, speedy set. Going fast and spittin' nails will only net me a set of 10.
  2. Dead lift 5x10. Deload back down to 205, 195, 185, 175, 165.
  3. Kroc Rows.  8x8 @ 55-90.
  4. Barbell Curls 6x6 @ 70

Keeping the arm bullshit light today because it's not like I need to do anything at all to stay in the lead today...

Wow.

So, how did you manage this? I mean logistics-wise. Were you able to do most of them while still watching, or did you often have to pause and do them and then restart?

Generally, the episode still played. The End of Time pt.1 and 2 only had 20-30 actionable instances across the hour. There were definitely times that as I was doing/finishing a set of one, I'd have to immediately follow up with one of the other. In those episodes, I didn't fall too far behind so I didn't stop and pause. There was frequently as many as 5 minutes where I didn't have to do anything at all but sit and eat...

The 23 Exterminate Chain of Madness at the beginning of Stolen Earth got paused. It took me a decent amount of time to grind those out. I took a couple breaks of a couple minutes also while I was doing it just because I didn't want to be immobile when I woke up. I had been planning on continuing, but by the time I finished these it was already 12:30 and if there were further exterminate chains, I could see it taking until 4 or so to get through those Dalek episodes. And I'm in class right now. Ish. My teacher's not here so I'm sitting outside of class in the seating area assigned to the Second Cup stand.

Edited to add: The doorway with the pullup bar was facing the TV. Everything was super convenient. I sat on a chair next to the pullup bar. Dropped on the floor next to or stood up next to the chair to do my set.

When I decided I wanted to play some form of game re: pushups/pullups, I immediately thought about drinking games. All the nerdy things I love have drinking games (LOTR, Doctor Who, etc.) and it's a perfect hack for some bodyweight fun.

The End of Time pt. 1 I caught 21 situations that resulted in stuff. The End of Time pt 2 so far has me at 7. But we've only just started. And I might have forgotten to make a tick mark so it might be 8 rather than 7. But rules means its 7.

edited to add: EoT pt.1 = 21 actionable instances. EoT pt. 2 = 30 actionable instances.

edited further to add: As a point of interest.. Do not play Dalek episodes on advanced mode unless using alcohol. There's an instance in the beginning of Stolen Earth (which I decided to watch instead of Dalek) wherein a Dalek says Exterminate 23 times by my count. I currently have the episode on pause and I'm grinding them out. I should have just come up with an Exterminate to Actionable Instance conversion rate. Like 5:1. Yeah. 11 pushups instead of 55. Learn from my mistakes. From hereon out, I'm on the Exterminate Exchange Program. I'll determine the precise exchange rate on a case by case basis.

edited even furtherer to add: And I'm stopping here at 40 sets of each across 80 actionable instances in 2 episodes and the first 5 or so minutes of a third... Totalling 200 pushups and 120 pullups. I'm going to try these two episodes when I'm fresh.

Haha. That still sounds like more fun than my density training where I alternated mini sets of pushups and inverted rows for twenty minutes. I only got through 16 rounds and was so glad to be done.

Blend your whey with veggies. Greens protein smoothie.

hmm... i could. if i had a blender.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Holy game of awesome, Batman!  Love it!

Yes, NL, a high powered blender is awesome!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Oh man so two things in no particular order...

1) I slipped outside when it was raining earlier and banged up my elbow pretty hard. It makes dead lifts hard. I did my 5/3/1 sets already but I'm waiting for more of the pain to go away again before I get into my volume sets and my arm bashing.

2) I figured out what reddit is.

Oh man so two things in no particular order...

1) I slipped outside when it was raining earlier and banged up my elbow pretty hard. It makes dead lifts hard. I did my 5/3/1 sets already but I'm waiting for more of the pain to go away again before I get into my volume sets and my arm bashing.

2) I figured out what reddit is.

Report: so I can also know about this reddit thingy. 

Human Warrior

That's just code for "time suck." ;) #reality

Basically. It's sucked most of my afternoon.

reddit is the best and worst of the internet all in once place all at the same time. I haven't laughed so hard/feared for humanity so much all at the same time.

For example: Fear For Humanity and then onto Redemption! Both from the same thread! There's also some bonus footage of

Get one! They're extremely useful!

yeah... it won't fit in my apartment. :( no more room for kitchen toys.

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

yeah... it won't fit in my apartment. :( no more room for kitchen toys.

Not even a stick blender you can stick in with your cutlery, pots and pans or potatoes?

Guys. I'm kinda sorta injured. I'll explain later. I've got a few things to take care of. I'll be back, I promise.

Not even a stick blender you can stick in with your cutlery, pots and pans or potatoes?

Guys. I'm kinda sorta injured. I'll explain later. I've got a few things to take care of. I'll be back, I promise.

i'm gonna do some re-organizing and re prioritize, and see.

oh no! feel better. let us know if there's anything we can do.

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

i'm gonna do some re-organizing and re prioritize, and see.

oh no! feel better. let us know if there's anything we can do.

Any time you see me, yell at me to stop standing on the edges of my feet.

Day 12?

So last year I broke this bad habit I had of standing on the edges of my feet because it was really bad for the ole ankles. Between a combination of shoe wear and the bottom of my foot hurting, I've apparently been walking on the edge of my right foot more and more, effectively rolling my ankle out like all the time. I noticed yesterday when I was trying to dead lift. When I went back to go dead lift later, it actually hurt to have my foot pressed into the ground evenly.

So yeah. We're going to be watching foot position. Also, my elbow fucking hurts. Ole leftie wasn't able to row either yesterday. I'm rocking a bit of a bruise on the elbow and the surrounding arm area. It's OHP day today I think, so I decided to just let my elbow rest and recover last night so I could maybe get that done today. I'm still counting the lift day yesterday as a lift day because I did lift. I did my 5/3/1 dead lift sets.

It didn't go very well due to elbow. And foot hurty. Oh and the fact I did a bajillion chinups the day prior. Lol.

According to MFP, there's a +254 going down on the scoresheet for yesterday.

Today's workout will depend entirely on how my elbow hurts during sets of various movements. The bruise has been significantly reduced in size and colour since yesterday. If everything still sorta hurts my left arm, I'll just do unilateral movements and restrict today to "right arm day" and make tomorrow "left arm day".

Hey universe, no more substituting injury for illness in Rob's challenge, mmmmmkay???? Thx.

Lol I'll be fine! Bumps and bruises are a fast heal! Just a few days of ankle mobbing and I'll be squat perfect for Monday :)

Injury I can fucking deal with. And make measurable improvements by doing things. When I get sick, I'm impervious to remedy it's starting to seem like. Lol.

Lol I'll be fine! Bumps and bruises are a fast heal! Just a few days of ankle mobbing and I'll be squat perfect for Monday :)

Injury I can fucking deal with. And make measurable improvements by doing things. When I get sick, I'm impervious to remedy it's starting to seem like. Lol.

It starts with bumps and bruises.... gateway injuries.... :tongue:

But yeah, no kidding, when you become ill you do it full bore.

From Fitocracy

• Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP) +330 pts

• 65 lb x 10 reps (+66 pts)
  • Dumbbell Bench Press +275 pts

• 40 lb x 10 reps (+55 pts)