Chapter 3: The Long Road Back (Rob's Challenge)

Rob__

Day 13

So I definitely woke up with some top of foot stiffness from firmly planting my feet into the ground. Anyone who's ever changed their gait knows what that does to the muscles in the top of the foot, the heel cord, the calf and the shin. So I'm glad it's only been through the top of foot and through the ankle... We've got 2 days of mobbing ahead of us. It's an actual, legitimate, verifiable, none of this "haha, kidding" when it comes down to it, REST DAY. I'd put it in bright flashing letters if I could. The arm death PVP probably will spell the end of my arms...chest and back. My upper traps are like "grfd gradfd grtghdr ish mornink?" cause they're so tired.

Yesterday's food didn't go so well. I had a MASSIVE meal in the evening. But aside from a banana and some bone broth, and ice cream, that was pretty much it. I'm busy entering things into MFP now, so give me a sec and I'll tell you what the bad totals are. Whoa. Ok. Let's step back a second so I can explain to you what just happened. 

1) At 11:30 yesterday morning, I decided I wanted to start getting my pork roast ready for dinner before I sat down for breakfast.

2) At 2:30 when I put the roast on the grill, I had a cup of bone broth and a banana.

3) At 5:30pm I sat down for a breakfast of pork roast, rice and brussel sprouts. Ice cream for dessert.

4) Did my workout, had a protein shake after.

5) Spent most of the rest of the night lamenting how I haven't eaten any food since 6pm when I finished eating my pork roast, except for that protein shake I had post-workout.

6) Randomly passed out.

From MFP: Total - 3462 Cals, 192 Carbs, 180 Fats, 217 Protein.

So while all my macros were lower than scheduled except for the fats (3250/325/108/244), I still got enough calories in which is the important part. So there you go!

So I was looking at the twitters before I made my way over here, and John Berardi (link to his website bio) had a pretty decent article about eating for your body type, and how to get started fixing your diet. To distill it to its essential 3 points:

1) Don't worry about being paleo/whole30/etc

2) Fix nutritional deficiencies

3) Eat for your body type

4) Refine for your needs

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/fix-a-broken-diet <~~ An obvious link to the article for those who don't already have it open to read. It's a bit long, but it's an easy read and has some pretty good points to think about if you're wondering about your diet. As another fun read, he and Martin Rooney banded together and experimented on Nate Green. IF principles get put into practice and scienced, they execute a pretty decent water cut and using a combination of heavy nutrition, supplementation and exercise, they earned the tagline:

How to gain 20lbs in 28 days, lose 20lbs in 5 days and gain it all back overnight.

Nate Green's the one put through all their bullshit, so if you're considering a bulk and never have before, at the very least, it's an almost daily description of what he went through, how he felt, etc. so it can help ready you for your first bulk. Appropriately enough, the site url is http://www.biggersmallerbigger.com. You can read the book online at the link, or download the free PDF and peruse at your own leisure.

Apparently, I'm the food guy this challenge?

There is no signature here.

I think you are the food guy every challenge.  I've tried being the food guy and I suck at it.  At most, I may be able to aspire to be *A* food guy.

My tired mind leads me to wonder how people pronounce accented words like that.  After all of these years I still haven't even decided how *I* pronounce them.  Well, I guess I know how I pronounce accented "I" then...  But are you an *eh* food guy person or an *ah* food guy person?  For that matter, *thee* or *thuh*?

/endramble

Off to work to daydream about sleep and probably vowel sounds...

Great work on your challenge, btw!

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

Str: 18.75 | Dex: 12.25 | Sta: 16 | Con: 30.25 | Wis: 27 | Cha: 16.25

The first two times I read through it, I said *A* differently each time. I read it twice before I understood you meant the vowel pronounciation. I thought you were wondering how people emphasized it in their heads... like if it was more bold and shouty or if it was sorta tilted and slanted. So I read it a couple times and I was going to say that I read it bold and shouty.

Thee/thuh is always thuh. Almost everything else varies. Bean/bin/ben. Neether/naither. Eh/ah. I'm not sure how I used to say them as a kid, but once I learned that poor people say them one way/rich people say them another way/smart people say them one way/insert your cultural bias here the other way I tried saying them the new way and then all the wires got crossed and now I say everything different ways.

I learned Italian before I learned English. I can also speak French with some fluency. When I moved from Toronto to Ottawa, everyone said I sounded like I was from Toronto. Since I've moved back to Toronto, I've been asked a bunch of times when I moved here from England. I've been asked when I came over from elsewhere in Europe. So apparently my accent sounds relatively mixed? I do know that it's somewhat flexible and if I'm talking to someone for long enough, I'll start to sound like them.

Week 2 Update

Bad. First week went pretty good. Last week was a shitty food week overall. I had a negative day yesterday cause I only hit around 3000 calories.

All the Food - I ate 40% of the required extra calories to get an A. That's like... an F right? Saturday and Sunday were supposed to be pig out rest days, but instead, things kept happening. On Saturday, I helped out with a bunch of landscaping... so there was dirt shovelling, patio stone laying, etc. I didn't end up under the food total. Yesterday, I just kept having to go out, and I didn't have a chance to grab food between breakfast and dinner. Food out wasn't an option because I couldn't find my wallet. We're at -250 for yesterday cause I only made it to 3000.

All the Workouts - All workouts done ontime! Even though I only did my 5/3/1 lift on DL day, that's technically the only workout that needed to get done that day. I'd have liked to have gotten the volume in, but my elbow and right foot are still are sorts of fucked up. C'est la vie!

All the Recovery - I sat in silence for an hour yesterday. I've done some mobbing - not enough - and I've done some stretching - not enough. The most I did was after squat day. I haven't done enough work on getting my right ankle sorted. At least it doesn't hurt.

Speaking of Hurt, what if he's next, instead of before?

The first two times I read through it, I said *A* differently each time. I read it twice before I understood you meant the vowel pronounciation. I thought you were wondering how people emphasized it in their heads... like if it was more bold and shouty or if it was sorta tilted and slanted. So I read it a couple times and I was going to say that I read it bold and shouty.

Thee/thuh is always thuh. Almost everything else varies. Bean/bin/ben. Neether/naither. Eh/ah. I'm not sure how I used to say them as a kid, but once I learned that poor people say them one way/rich people say them another way/smart people say them one way/insert your cultural bias here the other way I tried saying them the new way and then all the wires got crossed and now I say everything different ways.

I learned Italian before I learned English. I can also speak French with some fluency. When I moved from Toronto to Ottawa, everyone said I sounded like I was from Toronto. Since I've moved back to Toronto, I've been asked a bunch of times when I moved here from England. I've been asked when I came over from elsewhere in Europe. So apparently my accent sounds relatively mixed? I do know that it's somewhat flexible and if I'm talking to someone for long enough, I'll start to sound like them.

I speak 100% southern.  When I realized the different pronunciation of things by different people I started changing the way I talked.  But eventually I came to embrace my heritage more and I learned to hate people who talk "country" as in they learned it from country music.  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Day 15

*to be continued. I just saw what time it was and have to go to school now.*

HI KIDS! This is me in class. That really large initial probably broke the formatting of this post like the forum's wont to do when you change font size. It's fine. We all know this is going to happen, so if it doesn't it'll be a pleasant surprise for everyone! The reason for the initial? I've decided to break the "chapter" into sub-chapters. Kind of like Stephen King, except for the fact I typically write comedy/fantasy-adventure in these chapters, I write a lot like King does. I've picked up a few of his habits. The repetition. Capitalization of Important Things to Make Them Events. BEING REALLY FUCKING LONG WINDED. All the us' suspects.

Last week was kinda suck. The week before wasn't good enough. I haven't stepped on the scale, but the number probably hasn't budged. Apparently, adding 250 calories to the baseline over last time was not enough. So we're going to add another 250 calories to the baseline. Chapter 3.2 is going to have a 3500 calorie threshold. Take us a little closer to 4000 calories every day. I'm probably going to raise the steaks (stakes?) again next subchapter.

Today's squat day. I'm looking forward to only having to do around 60 back squats today. And I only have to get that high if my ankle loosens and I do all 5 volume sets. My ankle tends to loosen with use, so it'll probably get done. Between now and my workout, I'm going to put together a loose 2-week arm blasting plan. Sets, reps, weights will all be determined when I go to do the workout so I can maximize points that session, but I'm going to know going in what I'm going to be doing every day. No more of this "well I just did this, so let's do this now...". I've sort of got a loose idea in my head, and it probably won't even prevent me from doing all the bench presses tomorrow.

Oh hey Max, quick question. If we don't do our 5/3/1 workouts cause we're doing the ladders, does that count for the PVP?  How do you want to handle it? I'll leave it entirely up to you. If you want to count the ladder as the 5/3/1 workout for the day, I'll find some other way to get arm stuff in and annihilate you...

On the AgenDa

1. Squat 3+ Day.
  2. Ankle mob
  3. Shoulder, elbow, wrist prehab
  4. Bio assignment part 1 of 2/midterm studying.

I have a six question set for the bio assignment. I need to pick two of the questions and answer them in 500-1000 each. I haven't looked at the assignment sheet, and I've been busy with other things so I don't even know what the assignment is beyond that, except that it's due Friday. When I get home from class, I'll post the question list and we'll have a quick poll. Having to do the research will probably help with the midterm studying. My midterm is probably going to be Saturday morning if it's already not booked up. I need to get on that.

raise_the_steaks_shirt-r5d3b2ad7a2954287

^ I'm going to have to second what Laura said v

That's an awesome t-shirt.

I love food.

Carry on.

Man do I love food. My problem is that I've got 3 assignments due this week and 3 midterms this week so I haven't been eating as much as I should. Take yesterday for example. The only reason I made it to 3000 calories was because as I was passing out in my textbook last night, I realized I should probably estimate how much I've eaten while having a big bowl of ice cream.

Day ?

GUYS I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT DAY IT IS. I woke up this morning, late, and rushed to my Wednesday morning class, only to discover as I was opening the door and sneaking into a class that isn't mine, that it wasn't Wednesday. Half asleep, hair unkempt, eyes probably watery and red-rimmed from lack of coffee and wakefulness, I casually ask a passerby: "Excuse me, good sir, but do you know what day it is today? I was under the impression it was Wednesday but it appears as though I was incorrect in my analysis..."

Yesterday was a bad food day. I spent a lot of time assignmenting. I got my workout in so there's that, and the food wasn't really turrible. It was only turrible because I only hit 3000 calories again. I'm going to have to make a much larger effort today to get all my foods in. I didn't get as much mobilizing done as I wanted to yesterday, so I'm going to have to do some choice mobilizations as a part of my warmup today. Today's the day we do the bench ladder.

So since today's the day we do the bench ladder, all other bets are off.

I'm in the process of retrieving the question list. I thought I had a copy downloaded to my hd already, but I don't...

Lol... that probably won't rocket me ahead on the PVP. It's a lot of work, but the higher rep stuff isn't properly constructed for points. I'd get over triple the points if I broke up all those sets that are above 10 into sets of 10 or less....

Oh... and also I didn't do an arm workout yesterday. I was going to go back and do it, but it kept getting later and later and later and then it got so late I decided I needed to save my arms.

Day ?

GUYS I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT DAY IT IS. I woke up this morning, late, and rushed to my Wednesday morning class, only to discover as I was opening the door and sneaking into a class that isn't mine, that it wasn't Wednesday. Half asleep, hair unkempt, eyes probably watery and red-rimmed from lack of coffee and wakefulness, I casually ask a passerby: "Excuse me, good sir, but do you know what day it is today? I was under the impression it was Wednesday but it appears as though I was incorrect in my analysis..."

That poor man, lmfao

I was busy making travel arrangements (while sitting in a hotel room) and my wife called and asked me "When will you be home?"  I had no idea.  Wasn't even sure where I was, or what day it was.  I told her I think I "was" in the air over Georgia mentally...  Very odd feeling.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I was busy making travel arrangements (while sitting in a hotel room) and my wife called and asked me "When will you be home?"  I had no idea.  Wasn't even sure where I was, or what day it was.  I told her I think I "was" in the air over Georgia mentally...  Very odd feeling.

It's very, very disorienting when that happens. I had it happen in Europe last summer and the "where" was even further disjointed by discovering I was in France, not Switzerland.

Speaking of things disorienting:

Barbell Bench Press +807 pts

• 85 lb x 2 reps (+32 pts)
  • 85 lb x 4 reps (+44 pts)
  • 85 lb x 6 reps (+51 pts)
  • 85 lb x 8 reps (+55 pts)
  • 85 lb x 10 reps (+57 pts)
  • 85 lb x 12 reps (+58 pts)
  • 85 lb x 14 reps (+59 pts)
  • 85 lb x 16 reps (+61 pts)
  • 85 lb x 18 reps (+62 pts)
  • 85 lb x 20 reps (+63 pts)
  • 85 lb x 22 reps (+64 pts)
  • 85 lb x 24 reps (+66 pts)
  • 85 lb x 26 reps (+67 pts)
  • 85 lb x 28 reps (+68 pts)

Rung 14 at any rate...

It's very, very disorienting when that happens. I had it happen in Europe last summer and the "where" was even further disjointed by discovering I was in France, not Switzerland.

Speaking of things disorienting:

Barbell Bench Press +807 pts

• 85 lb x 2 reps (+32 pts)
  • 85 lb x 4 reps (+44 pts)
  • 85 lb x 6 reps (+51 pts)
  • 85 lb x 8 reps (+55 pts)
  • 85 lb x 10 reps (+57 pts)
  • 85 lb x 12 reps (+58 pts)
  • 85 lb x 14 reps (+59 pts)
  • 85 lb x 16 reps (+61 pts)
  • 85 lb x 18 reps (+62 pts)
  • 85 lb x 20 reps (+63 pts)
  • 85 lb x 22 reps (+64 pts)
  • 85 lb x 24 reps (+66 pts)
  • 85 lb x 26 reps (+67 pts)
  • 85 lb x 28 reps (+68 pts)

Rung 14 at any rate...

Booyah.  Well played sir!  

Daily Log ]

Day 17

There was a moment, albeit brief, where this was also going to be Day ?, but I think we're back on track, guys. I know that today is Wednesday June 19th. Saying it out loud like that makes me realize that 3 days ago makes it 17 months of smoke-free-edness.

Yesterday. Yesterday we ate 175 calories above. This is good. This breaks the wee bit of a slump I've been having with the points, but it puts me at no better than the totals I was pulling before I upped the calorie threshold. I'm getting to needing 500+ every single day because I'm so far behind, especially after the non-eating weekend. I even have ice cream I could be eating while I'm studying and assignmenting, but I'm not even doing that. but yeah. We're back on track, and I'm going to keep pushing. I had a rush situation this morning and had McD's instead of just waiting hours until I got back home. Although the calories are piss poor, there was still plenty of them there.

I did the bench ladder yesterday. I didn't have a chance to come back here yesterday and say it because I had to run out for a few hours in the evening almost right after I did it, but I went back and did a proper arm workout. It had been days since I curled. Plus, I was planning on taking a rest day today, and I wanted to ensure that I was super sore and super fatigued so that I couldn't get into one of those "I'M REALLY BORED AND NEED TO DO SOME WORKOUT TYPE STUFF BECAUSE I'M STILL NOT USED TO WEDNESDAYS OFF AND IT DOESN'T HELP THAT I ALWAYS END UP DOING FITNESSY THINGS ON WEDNESDAY ANYWAYS." Not only am I not sore, but I'm not even fatigued. I probably could do everything I did yesterday all over again today. Apparently, the arm PVP has increased my upper body's tolerance to volume massively. So here's the workout I did after dinner for another 437 points last night:

• Dumbbell Bench Press:
    • 40 lb x 8 reps (+53 pts)
    • 40 lb x 8 reps (+53 pts)
    • 45 lb x 8 reps (+56 pts)
    • 45 lb x 8 reps (+56 pts)
  • Bent Over Barbell Row:
    • 135 lb x 8 reps (+42 pts)
  • Barbell Curl:
    • 65 lb x 8 reps (+17 pts)
  • You'll notice that I did some further bench press with dumbbell weights being consistent with what they are after my usual 5/3/1 workout and BBB sets. 

Today. Today I'm actually going to take a rest day. While I don't physically feel tired or fatigued (I was rocking out to Bleed It Out at midnight still), I didn't last week until the weekend when I took some proper rest. So I'm going to try taking some proper rest today. Especially since it's dead lift day and last week's dead lift day was a writeoff due to Squat Ladder Soreness. I'm going to toss some warm bone broth into a mug, maybe chill in a recovery bath while I read my textbook to prep for my bio midterm. Also, I really need to figure out that assignment today. It's due like... in a couple days. And last time I looked at it, I remember having absolutely no idea where to start with any of the questions... Things are different now that I've done some book learning, but I still don't think it's going to be much easier.

that bench press ladder is impressive.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Bleed It Out gets me pumped every time. Of course someone tried to ruin it for me by calling it the Tampon Song (listen to the lyrics in the chorus again).I've since trained myself not to think about it and the song still rocks.

How is the arm pvp working out for you growth-wise? So many people say the working arms will lead to over training because you use them in all of your primary movers but I'm finding that not to be the case. 

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

Str: 18.75 | Dex: 12.25 | Sta: 16 | Con: 30.25 | Wis: 27 | Cha: 16.25

that bench press ladder is impressive.

Rob is a beast. *nods*

Thanks!

Bleed It Out gets me pumped every time. Of course someone tried to ruin it for me by calling it the Tampon Song (listen to the lyrics in the chorus again).I've since trained myself not to think about it and the song still rocks.

How is the arm pvp working out for you growth-wise? So many people say the working arms will lead to over training because you use them in all of your primary movers but I'm finding that not to be the case. 

LOL. I think that only makes me like Bleed It Out more.... I'm fucking strange sometimes.

Honestly, I haven't checked? I've wanted to. I really have. But I'm trying to be patient and wait until end of challengey pics. And I haven't really been good at the whole resting thing, so they tend to have a bit of a permaswole going on... A lot of my "arm workouts" are chest, back and shoulder exercises and then I finish in isolation, so I think that takes a bit of the sting out of the overuse. My back and chest are fine with the almost every day pounding. I think the burnout from arm volume comes over the long term rather than on a short term volume attack. The tendency is to throw bad volume after good when things start to taper down in the gains department and that's what leads to overuse and burnout.

I am definitely not planning on maintaining this level of arm volume beyond week 6 of the challenge. 

_________________________________________________________________________________

Speaking of beyond this 6 week challenge... I think I'm going to switch back to a 3x weekly squat program. I feel as though I've had a bit of program ADD but I've had a good run with 5/3/1. LOLNOTATALLCAUSEIKEPTGETTINGSICK.

But anyway. I only switched to 5/3/1 because running and thrice weekly squatting are incompatible typically. Since I'm working on correcting my foot position when I sit, walk and stand and just that is proving to be very anger inducing towards my ankles, I'm not going to be running for a few months. I'm additionally not charity marathoning this year for reasons I probably already mentioned, so I won't get into again (unless someone asks about it). So since I am no longer planning on running, I've returned to a desire to want more squats in my life. This is what I was thinking...

tumblr_monzrvgSNI1s4vsheo1_400.png

Ohey did I mention snatches again? So anyways, Monday is the usual 5x5 volume day with ramped up sets to a heavy 5. Wednesdays are a light day, and while technical and slaps the shit out of me, my snatch isn't heavy so fuck you. Friday is an intensity day. My old program had us lifting up to a heavy 3. We're going to do them as "extended three" cluster sets (the first one under level 1, extended fives, but switched to be 3-rep appropriate).

I'm going to have an accessory lift slot on each day, but I haven't decided exactly how to fill them in just yet.

Loading is as follows:

• Monday - warm up to ramped sets to a 5RM. Following week +2.5%.
  • Friday - warm up to sets across with 3RM. Following week +2.5%.
  • Deload individual lift 10% when reps not hit. Deload entire program 10% when reps not hit on more than one exercise. 
  • Initial 5RM and 3RM will be based off ending training 1RM.
  • Program starts with an initial deload to meet 5RM and 3RM in Week 4.

Day 18

On one hand, I wish it was day 42, but on the other hand, I'm glad there's still just over 24.5 days to go because I've been doing pretty terrible with the challenge. I'm eating at about a C level, and I really enjoy being an A student. So we're going to have to fix that somehow. That said, I ate to +200 yesterday so we're still chugging along at the 3500+ consistently. If you can call 2 days consistent. And according to my log, I'm -125 for the week so far. I pretty much am going to need to eat like 5000 straight through to Monday to get back on track, and with how busy I've been with midterm week.... Thankfully it's over. I have 1 more to go. And that stupid assignment to do. After dead lifts.

Speaking of, today's dead lift day. Last week's dead lift day had to get cut short due to the fact that I was still all sorts of sore in the glutes and hamstrings from the squat ladder. This means that similarly to the squat ladder, when I go in for the dead lift ladder, the week before will be my only experience with any sort of dead lift volume.

It's been a while since we've taken a look at my workout before I did it, so let's do that again today!

DEAD LIFT

3x235

3x250

?x265

According to math, ? = 7+ for a PR.

DEAD LIFT

5+5x235

5+5x235

5+5x235

5+5x235

5+5x235

At this point, if I make it this far, I'll probably die, soo...

KROC ROW

10x45

10x65

?x90

?x90

?x90

?x90

And then this is where I'll take my ceremonial break, maybe throw up a few times. Cause just looking at it, today looks intense. But I'll probably still come back in the gym to do some more damage to the arms later. After these bitches, my grip will need some time to recover before I can lift anything heavier than a handful of air. And even that may be a stretch.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines