Alright first challenge, come at me.

Starting Point
Weight: 270 lbs
Blood Pressure at rest: 116/71
Heart Rate at rest: 60 bpm
I can get through the BBW circuit once with a little back pain, twice and I'm reeling in pain.
I can easily bike to and from the shopping plaza by my house (comparable distance to work).
I can easily hike into our tent in the woods (~30 minutes up hill in the woods) and a good trail near Cuckold's Cove.

Goal 1 (Fitness)
Hike (with Princess) once a week, bike outside for 30 minutes 3 times 90 minutes a week total.

EDITED: Can't bike even close to 30 minutes straight outdoors, that was unrealistic. I CAN bike a BUNCH in smaller increments. May up the total to make it more challenging. We'll see after week 1.
(Princess is a certain someone who has committed to hike with me once a week, but she's not on NF). My family has a tent set up in the woods year round that we try to go into every now and again, there are some great trails around me here in the city that are pretty scenic, and there are decent bike trails all over the city that start right next to my house so there's really no excuse. I will also bike to work as often as possible. The point is to be doing these things outside so I may even do some in bad weather if we have a week of rain or something. I also have a stationary bike as an absolute last resort.

4 STA, 1 CON
A: Hike 1x a week, bike 90 minutes a week.
B: Hike 1x a week, bike 60 minutes a week.
C: Hike 1x a week, bike 30 minutes a week.
D: Hike 1x a week, bike <30 minutes a week.
F: No hike, bike less than 90 minutes a week.

Goal 2 (Fitness)
Make it through the BBW Circuit 3 times by the end of the challenge.
I'll do the BBW circuit 3 times a week, with a 10 minute stationary bike warm up, tossing in about 10 minutes of a heavy bag routine 2 times a week.

3 STR, 1 DEX
A: Through the BBW circuit 3 times in a row.
B: Through the BBW circuit 2.5 times in a row.

C: Through the BBW circuit 2 times in a row.

D: Through the BBW circuit 1.5 times in a row.

F: Through the BBW circuit once at a time.

Goal 3 (Nutrition)
Track everything I eat, track weight every week, eat healthier.
I'll have a little notebook on me all the time to track food before I eat it, and I'll be weighing myself every Tuesday. Eventually I will be going at least gluten free if not full on paleo, but for now I have no real diet changes planned, I just want to get a baseline of what I'm actually eating and then adjust. I'll probably update the diet plan after two weeks if I make any specific changes based on what I see I'm eating.

2 WIS
A: No days missed.
B: 1-4 days missed.
C: 5-8 days missed.
D: 8-10 days missed.
F: >10 days missed.

Goal 4 (Life)
Pay off remaining $1600 tuition balance so I can go back to school in the fall.
Has to be done, else I'll be delayed far too long in finishing my first degree. I need to save around $280 a week, which shouldn't be too hard because I just got a better job. Thing is, the job isn't really starting full time for a week or two so it might be rocky starting off. As long as I have the money saved by the end of the challenge, it doesn't matter I was short one week and over the next.

3 WIS
Pass/ Fail

---------------------------------------------------------

Progress:

WEEK 1:

Hike: SO DONE(A)

Biking: 83/90 minutes (A-)

BBW: 2/3 (D)

Heavy Bag: 0/2 (D)

Food tracked: 7/7 (A)

Weight Tracked: 268 (A)

Money saved: $300 (A)

Mini-challenge #1: DONE! FOTB! (+.5 WIS, +.5 CHA)

End of Week 1 Report:

Goal 1: A-

-DESTROYED that hike are you kidding me?

-Bike changed from 3, 30 minute trips to a total of 90 minutes in a week. I got 83. Come on, I could have biked 7 minutes, I've just had a rough couple days. Does the killer hike and extra walking make up for that? No.

Goal 2: D

-2 BBW workouts, no heavy bag at all. That fits my criteria for a D exactly and unfortunately.

-The BBW workout really did a number on my back and shoulders, as did the 6 hour downtown walk with a bookbag which didn't need to happen because it's not one of my goals. I was going to say I need to stop the walking and being out enjoying my new found confidence, but that's rubbish. What I need to do, is come up with a better grading system. The goal proper is to get through the BBW circuit 3 times by the end of the challenge. i should be grading myself based on how many times I can get through the BBW circuit, not how much I train to do so. Updated grading next week.

Goal 3: A

-Tracked everyday! Simple as that! Didn't necessarily eat all that healthily, but tracking was the goal. I'll add my weight after I weigh tomorrow morning (Monday morning will be exactly one week done, makes more sense to me to do it then than right now after just eating a bunch).

Goal 4: A

-$300 added to the save pile! Right on track!

WEEK 2:

Hike: DONE (A)

Biking: 92/90 minutes (A)

BBW circuit completions in a row: 2/3 (C)

Food tracked: 7/7 (A)

Weight Tracked: 268lbs (A)

Money saved: Not paid this week (F?)

Mini-challenge #2: 5/5 days with protein intake met! (+1 CON)

End of Week 2 Report:

Everything went pretty well I guess! I'm only at a C right now for goal 2, but getting through the BBW circuit twice was huge so I'm pleased with my C (FOR NOW!). Got all my biking, hiking, and tracking done so that was good. I wasn't paid so I didn't save, but so long as I average that $300 a week I'm still golden. On to week 3!

WEEK 3:

Hike: Squeaked at the last second! (A)

Biking: 204/90 minutes (A++)

BBW circuit completions in a row: 0/3 (F)

Food tracked: 7/7 (A)

Weight Tracked: Not tracked (F)

Money saved: Another $300 in the bank! (A)

Mini-challenge #3:  Stretching done on three days (heavily physical/ workout days) (Done, +1 DEX)

End of Week 3 Report:

Pretty good week. Tired a lot, but kept going. F on the BBW is only because I didn't ATTEMPT any run-throughs this week, just some related upper body exercise to get a bit stronger. Hiking and tracking done again. Biking DONE. Over twice the minutes of my goal, and basically a half hour straight, so I'm super pleased with that. Saving done, but might be slightly undone out of necessity this week. Regardless, the total at the end of the challenge is what matters, because pass/fail and what not.

WEEK 4:

Hike: NOPE (F)

Biking: 24/90 (F)

BBW in a row: 0 (F)

Food Tracked: 6/7 days (B)

Weight Tracked: Not tracked (F)

Money saved: Not paid this week (-)

End of week 4 report:

Worst week I think. It was so rainy and miserable, which meant I couldn't really bike to work, and my mood was horrible. But it's over now.

WEEK 5:

Hike: DONE (A)

Biking: 216/90 (A+++)

BBW in a row: 0 (F)

Food Tracked: 5/7 (B)

Weight Tracked: Not tracked (F)

Money saved: Total of $500 in the bank. (-)

WEEK 6:

Hike: DONE X2! (A+)

Biking: 110/90 (A+)

BBW in a row: 2.75 circuits (B+)

Food Tracked: 1/7 (C)

Weight Tracked: 258 lbs! (A)

Money saved: Total $500 in the bank. (F)

FINAL REPORT:

Goal 1: 6 Hikes (averaging 1/week), 729/540 possible biking minutes. Grade: A+. Reward: 4 STA, 1 CON.

Goal 2: Made it through 2.75 circuits in a row. Grade: B+. Reward: 2.75 STR, .75 DEX.

Goal 3: 33/42 days (9 days missed). Grade: D. Reward: .5 WIS.

Goal 4: $500 in the bank. Grade F. Reward: Nope.

Mini-challenge 1: FOTB! Reward: .5 WIS, .5 CHA.

Mini-challenge 2: DONE. Reward: 1 CON.

Mini-challenge 3: DONE. Reward: 1 DEX.

Starting stats:

Level 1 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 4 DEX: 1 STA: 2 CON: 4 WIS: 3 CHA: 1

Post-Challenge stats:

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 6.75 DEX: 2.75 STA: 6 CON: WIS: 4 CHA: 1.5

Overall, I'm pleased with how this challenge worked out.

Yeah I totally failed the money goal, but that was a combination of miscalculating my income, the timeframe, some unexpected bills, and setting a bit of an unrealistic goal for myself. But, lesson learned.

I destroyed my first fitness goal in a way I didn't think was possible. It WASN'T possible when I first started this challenge. Bike for 2 hours? Hike for 5? Your crazy. But I did just that. A couple times. Bike to work? HA! That's a joke now. Barely breaks a sweat. When I first tried it, it wiped me. Very proud of that.

I also lost 12 pounds during the challenge, which is actually 22 since I first decided to join NF. Not too bad I think.

More important than any of these numbers though, is how doing this has made me feel. All of my tight pants fit now. I can wear a smaller size shirt and not feel AS gross. I had to put a new hole in my belt. I can carry myself better. I'm less fatigued by everyday life. My life IS better and is GETTING better. Because of that, this challenge has been nothing but a success. I'm fed up with accepting the state my life was in, and I'm doing something about it. This challenge, yeah I didn't do spectacularly, but I', learning. Everybody's first few steps are faltering and tentative, but soon enough they're running.

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 6.75 DEX: 2.75 STA: 6 CON: 6 WIS: 4 CHA: 1.5

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

Great goals, Silas!

Tracking what you eat can pay huge dividends.  I've done it in the past.

The BBW workout is tough for someone out of shape.  Trust me, I know, I just started it 4 weeks ago.  It's a really neat feeling being able to feel yourself getting stronger, though.  I started being able to barely get through it.  Now I'm doing about 50% more reps on every exercise.  It's cool!  With a little dedication, I'm sure you'll be able to knock out those 3 sets in no time!

Good luck!  Get it done!

Hey Silas!

Sounds like some pretty smart goals.  How often you're going to report progress and how, particularly for those where you're tracking daily?

I like how you've set up the grades and results in advanced.  I think I'm just going to measure it at the end and determine grade/award points based how much of the goal I achieved.

Good luck mate! 

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 7.5 | CON 9 | WIS 7.5| CHA 5.5

Challenges: 1 | Current | Battle Log
"Get up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back, because we've got work to do.  Welcome to the grind."

I really love that you made the hike the make or break priority for your fitness goal. Really smart to have one non-negotiable! Also, I love that you are making some changes but not too many (monitoring food but not making major changes while adding new fitness is so smart!).

Good luck!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

Ben-Ro: Tracked my food for about 10 days last month just because and I found myself eating healthier just because everything I ate I knew I was going to have to read back later. Nothing was just a quick indulgence anymore, it was always in front of me, mocking me haha. I've been doing the BBW on and off for a couple weeks here now, and the difference is ridiculous. Feel like a beast for two days afterward, particularly because of the push-ups (never ever been my strong suit at all). I'll kill that goal just because of the endorphin rush, it improves my mood and confidence immediately.

patchwolf: Good point with the tracking updates, I don't really know. The little notebook is just to keep on me to record things during the day, I have a binder here where I'm keeping a hard copy of all my records from this whole experience, so I'll be putting them in there as well. I could always just post my food daily. We'll see what kind of time I have when this new job finally kicks in, but I'll shoot for updating three times a week. I figured it was a good idea to set out the grading now so I don't give myself pity points if I don't do so well on a goal haha. This way there's just more accountability I figure.

AgentKatia: Like I said, there's no excuse for not hiking ONCE in a week, given all the trails and opportunities around me. We have so many great trails in Newfoundland, and a bunch of them are around me so I HAVE to do at least that. Maybe if I miss a hike but bike like 7 times a week I'll cut myself some slack...but I doubt it haha. I've been considering gluten free (my house is moving in that direction anyway) and paleo, but I don't want to overload myself on this first challenge, especially not by throwing my diet out of whack while pushing myself physically for the first time in forever. Evenetually haha.

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

I think they mean beginner's body weight circuit training, patchwolf. 

Silas, I STILL have never been on a hike and I've lived in a place where hiking is the number one thing to do for everyone ever. But I can never get it to happen! Best of luck with it. 

Also, tracking all food is really difficult for the first week or so, but I promise it gets easier. Just push through it! I wanted to die for the first two weeks, giving up bread/rice, but now any time I eat that stuff in any real amount, I can FEEL it (and it sucks). It's a weird sensation, to suddenly be more in tune with your body, and it's so worth it. 

Level 1 Hobbit Adventurer Looking to Become an Assassin with Some Druid and Monk capabilities

Current Stats: (STR) 1 || (DEX) 1 || (STA) 1 || (CON) 2 || (WIS) 4 || (CHA) 6

Oh, the Beginner Body Weight Circuit. In the resources thing of NF. Although...maybe it's supposed to be BB? 

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

Thanks Arkham! That is totally what I meant btw. You should definitely hike! ALL the time haha. We have so much awesome scenery in Newfoundland it's insane. I like the trails that aren't "official" and maintained but more "oh a bunch of people walked here apparently, let's try that". SO much more fun. We have a lot of easily accessible woods here too which I also love just hiking/ running through. Getting in touch with "nature" (isn't it all nature?) in the sense of being in the woods and pushing yourself to explore new places just on your own power (as opposed to on an ATV) is truly awe-inspiring and calming in such a perfect way. It's a different kind of meditation really.

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

My biggest issue with it is being in the sun and getting way too hot. I am the fairest of them all and don't do well in the sun/heat :( But I have been dying to find some alternative hiking places... and when I get to Sweden in a few weeks I'm going to start planning some snow hikes!

Level 1 Hobbit Adventurer Looking to Become an Assassin with Some Druid and Monk capabilities

It's a weird sensation, to suddenly be more in tune with your body, and it's so worth it. 

Oh yes.  It's totally weird.  I've actually gotten to where too much of a sweet thing makes me feel psychosomatically ill.  It's weird, but I'm reveling in the weird feeling.  I bought a bag of Mango flavoured liquorice yesterday, had maybe two pieces, then gave the rest away because it was making me feel a bit ill.

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

"Get up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back, because we've got work to do.  Welcome to the grind."

Yeah, sugar is the devil. And if you can just go without out it for a relatively short amount of time, and then go back, you can feel it all. The headaches, the stomach aches, the blood sugar spikes and crashes :( 

Yeah I get the heat/ sun and paleness issue AW haha. Good trick to avoid that though: start hiking early in the day when it's still a bit cool. Feels good exercising early in the day and you should be cool enough even on the hike back if you go early enough. Also, SUPER jealous of Sweden snow hiking opportunity, that is going to be awesome for you!

Undecided, let me tell you, if you ever get the chance, come to Newfoundland. We are a beautiful province for anyone into the outdoors. Barrens, mountains, bog, wetlands, forests, ocean, waterways, we have it all. Hiking, hunting, fishing, camping, kayaking, we get 'er done right haha.

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

You make it sound super amazing. I need to put Newfoundland on my list of places to go!

I'd suggest the wilder places here if you visit, but even our provincial parks are spectacular. We also have L'anse aux Meadows which you might want to check out especially.

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

Silas! Your goals are amazing! I tracked calories for a while and it was an eye opening experience. Tracking food is a great goal.

Hiking is awesome because you're outside, you're moving, and you can make it as difficult or moderate as you like. I plan on doing an overnight hike next weekend.

I love all the posts above. Such an amazing and supportive group!

Leksifer

Level 1 Human Adventurer

(Ranger/Warrior/Druid-in training)

First 6-week challenge: I want to jiggle less.

Hey Leksifer! Thanks for dropping over!

I have never done an overnight hike. Do you mean hike through the night or hike somewhere and stay for the night? I've done the second thing if that's what you meant haha.

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

Oh I meant hiking and then setting up camp, sleeping, and then hiking back the next day. I've never hiked through the night ... but that sounds fun! I've hiked when it was dark, but I was looking for a water source. I hike quiet a bit, actually. It's great cause I don't feel like I'm excercising. HAH. I have to trick myself into working out sometimes. HAH.

FotB!

Leksifer

Level 1 Human Adventurer

(Ranger/Warrior/Druid-in training)

First 6-week challenge: I want to jiggle less.

It IS fun! That's also the exact same reason that I hike haha. I just love being out in the woods (I hate the city).

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

Hey Silas! Went on a hike today and remembered your goal :) 

It was an awesome preface to CHALLENGE WEEK ONEONEONEONE

Happy adventuring this week!!!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

That's awesome! I had a hike planned today, even biked up to the store to get some food/ water, but it got too wet out for the trail we had planned on hiking :( Glad you had one instead though haha

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

When the road is too slick for the batmobile, what does the Dark Knight do?  He uses the Bat, of course.  Change tools!  Go for a walk instead!  Do a BBW circuit!

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

Oooh, Newfoundland!  That's on my travel-to list. :)  My husband and I were going to go to Nova Scotia, PEI, and Newfoundland for our honeymoon, but I couldn't get the days off work.

I can't tell from your profile picture, but what's the story behind the garb?  Is it SCA, LARP, cosplay? or is that just how you dress in Newfoundland?  :playful:

Level 4 Twi'lek Adventurer

STR: 3 | DEX: 4 | STA: 7 | CON: 10 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 5.5

Current Challenge

Do not betray your fellow bats.  FOTB!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines