Mt. Pearl!? Awesome! I just google stalked Mt. Pearl and it looks effin awesome. I live in Mammoth Lakes, Calif. and we're a total mountain resort town, surrounded by thousands of miles of wilderness and goodness.

I second Katia in saying your grampa sounds like a total badass.

Good job on Day 2 in meals and nutrition! I feel you on the soreness. I woke up this morning and had a hard time moving. At least it means we're doing something right!

Leksifer

Level 1 Human Adventurer

(Ranger/Warrior/Druid-in training)

First 6-week challenge: I want to jiggle less.

Thoughts on food... and I am clearly no expert at all in the slightest anywhere ever about anything, so take this with a mountain of salt. 

I experimented on myself (creepy? hot?) for a few months with eating methods like keto and paleo, and I can say that for me, it made an enormous difference. More than anything, not eating carbs and sugar changed my life. I realized I was having sugar crashes throughout the day because of all the carbs I was eating.

Once I stopped eating all that shit (and it was hard, for a week or two, and then it got much easier) I felt AWESOME. I'd lost some weight, I never got uncomfortably full or bloated, I was keeping pretty stable energy all day... and then I would put some carbs back into my diet and bam, crasshshshshshsh.

Now, I can feel it any time I eat super sugary things, or something very high in carbs. I can feel it in my guts. And it sucks. I imagine if I keep stuffing myself with carbs the feeling, the realization, will go away again, but I kind of don't want it to.

SO ANYWAY. How this relates to you: cut out the cookies, dinner rolls, chips, the pasta, and the... caramel log? I'm not sure I know what that is but I'm guessing it's sugar. Everything else looks good! 

Level 1 Hobbit Adventurer Looking to Become an Assassin with Some Druid and Monk capabilities

Current Stats: (STR) 1 || (DEX) 1 || (STA) 1 || (CON) 2 || (WIS) 4 || (CHA) 6

Your direwolf workout program sounds awesome. haha  You're doing a great job with the exercise.

I second what Arkham said.  It's amazing how much sustained energy you have when you don't crash coming off of a sugar high anymore.  Also, it makes me much more aware of when I'm actually hungry as opposed to craving something.

You can start by just making easy substitutions.  That steak and cheese?  Order it on a flatbread and skip the honey mustard.  The macaroni salad, potato salad, dinner roll, and cookie?  You could eat a HUGE field green salad, with meats and veggies and a light dressing for the same amount of calories and much less refined carbs.  If you crave dessert, keep a bar of high cacao content (80%+) chocolate and break off a square. (I use the chocolate bar trick often.)

But, trust me, I know it's not easy.  It's taken me almost a month to get off the carbs/sugar completely...slowly cutting back.  Challenge started Monday and I'm still getting headaches from carb withdrawal.  But they will subside and I know I'll feel better without it.

As has been stated on NF before...it's 80% diet, and for me, that's been the hardest part.  Keep up the great work!

I think "No Sugar" will be a future challenge for me all on its own.  Then "no grains".  Take it really slow.

For the no sugar people, where do you draw the line?  Fruit has sucrose, after all...

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 7.5 | CON 9 | WIS 7.5| CHA 5.5

Challenges: 1 | Current | Battle Log
"Get up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back, because we've got work to do.  Welcome to the grind."

I had a phase where I cut out even fruit just so I could really get a feel for no. sugar. I think it really helped me to get a good feeling for what my body is like without sugar (and it's great). 

Level 1 Hobbit Adventurer Looking to Become an Assassin with Some Druid and Monk capabilities

Patch: Good point and will do! Taking it slow on the diet is a must for me. I don't crave specific things really, just food in general. I crave quantity. Of basically anything.

Leksifer: It IS awesome! Everybody come here! DO IT! lol But seriously though, just looked at mammoth Lakes and it looks even more awesome than here so don't be too jealous haha. Our mountains are on the West coast of the island (~8 hours away), so we just have hills and woods really. Check out Gros Morne and Marble Mountain though!

Arkham: Self-experimentation = more hot than creepy haha. I get what you're saying with the diet adjustments. I tried paleo-ish/ gluten-free for a week or so not too long ago and had the same results. Most shocking for me was the alertness. I felt like a fog had lifted. I'll probably make that a goal of mine next challenge, just didn't want to overload myself this time around (it's my first time, i had to be gentle on myself haha). Also, this is a caramel log. It is sugar, and it is the best bar that was ever made ever. Super cheap, super yummy, and basically my one sweet thing I craaaave. As soon as I see them by the checkout, I'll get one. Maybe two.

Ben: Appreciate the signal boost to what Arkham said. I'll definitely modify my sub order. Subs are definitely a staple for me. I just need to stop getting the kind that are all processed meat and cheese at the corner store haha. I couldn't substitute the green salad for any of that stuff, just because it was a pre packaged cold plate that I bought from work, at work, but I should just plan ahead and bring a similar lunch. Biking there makes that difficult though. I'll look into alternatives for sure. Cookies I can cut out. Bread? Next challenge I move to gluten free probably, but I'll try to limit it here now. 

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 6.75 DEX: 2.75 STA: 6 CON: 6 WIS: 4 CHA: 1.5

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

Just take it slow. It's a serious change for anyone, and it takes mindfulness and willpower and tons of self control. And we don't have a lot of that to spread around right now, since we've got our other challenges to work on! I'd be super impressed if you could make the conscious choice to say no to one sugary thing a day, and it would be more than enough of a mini-baby-tiny start on a lifelong habit. 

So day 4.

FOOD:

Breakfast:

-2 glasses of water.

-Bottle of water.

-2 paleo pancakes (a banana and egg mashed together to get 2 pancakes) with maple syrup (because Canada)

-3 slices of ham sandwich meat.

Lunch:

-Assorted meat sub (horrible gas station kind :( ).

-Bottle of water.

Throughout work:

-3 more bottles of water.

-The same steak and cheese sub from yesterday.

Biking home snack:

-Apple.

Late night meal (snack?):

-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts.

-Bottle of water.

EXERCISE:

Well today was almost a lazy day. Almost. Early rise this morning to drive dad to work so I stayed up and biked to the store to buy bananas, a newspaper, and a bottle of water (17 min roundtrip total). Played some Skyrim because Skyrim, and ended up taking a half hour nap right on the couch. I didn't want to move. At all. But then I saw the FotB walking into the rec-room, seeing me napping/ being lazy, and collectively shouting "WTF SILAS GET UP!". I hopped up, and did the BBW circuit straight away with a 10 minute stationary bike warm up and stretches after (both of which I'm counting as part of the circuit btw). Then I biked to work (7 minutes) and biked home (~12 minutes).

So all totaled for today: 1 BBW circuit, 36 minutes biking, completely failing on the heavy bag, hike was already done. I'll get the heavy bag tomorrow or over the weekend though, promise!

SAVING:

I should be able to cash that check tomorrow, at which point I will be depositing a large chunk of it into savings (long story, but I definitely need to purchase a light for my bike haha). Updates to follow!

Having lunch/ coffee with a friend tomorrow so we'll see how that goes food wise and hopefully getting a pro beard trim at a great downtown shop if I can get an appointment (new attitude deserves new beard?). 

Also, just so you guys are aware, in addition to these daily posts I'm updating my first post with overall progress daily as well so It's all nice and in one spot!

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

Patch: Good point and will do! Taking it slow on the diet is a must for me. I don't crave specific things really, just food in general. I crave quantity. Of basically anything.

This.  This was me.  I'm only now learning how to not crave quantity, and it's all about quality.  This is all personal experience now, so while it works for me, it may not work for you.  But on the gripping hand, Hey!  It works for me!

Eat well.  Eat good food which has a high volume / calorie ratio.  As an example, look at steak.  Good beef steak.  300g Angus rump steak is more than enough for most anybody in a single meal.  It contains 375 calories.  Compare that to fries from McDonald's.  300g of fries (same volume)  -- about 1.5 portions of large fries -- contains 867 calories.  And you'll be hungry again soon after.  That steak will fill you up until your next mealtime.

For me, the big realisation came with breakfast.  If I eat breakfast  at 8am (currently, a scrambled egg, bacon, and spinach wrap), I can go until 2pm without getting to the "I'm starving" feeling.  That means I'm more likely to eat well (rather than eat volumes) at lunch.  When I don't have breakfast, I am starving by 12.30...

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

"Get up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back, because we've got work to do.  Welcome to the grind."

Love how that guy whooped you into action - I could picture the whole thing! Sometimes the motivation of someone yelling at you is the best way :)

Certainly looks like you're going great with the eating and amazing with the exercising!

Kilana, Elven Assassin

STR +3.8 | DEX +2 | STA +3.3CON +6.6 | WIS +5.5 | CHA +6.5
1st challenge, started June 3rd, 2013
2nd challenge, started September 19, 2013

3rd challenge, started June 10th, 2014

For the no sugar people, where do you draw the line?  Fruit has sucrose, after all...

I have very limited fruit intake.  Mainly, it's because I don't care for most fruits.  When I do eat fruit, it's mostly berries.  However, I bought a bag of Ranier cherries yesterday and MAN are they good.  I had to stop myself from eating half a bag.

It's almost impossible to have a diet with NO sugar...you just have to monitor it.  Veggies have sugars in them too (carrots, onions, sweet potatoes, etc.), but not in the amounts that fruits do.  As mentioned in the Paleo guide on NF, really the only time to eat a lot of carbs is right after a workout when you body can process them fastest.  For greater weight loss, however, try to veer away from them when possible.

Looking up foods on the glycemic index is a great tool.

I'm a huge sugar/carb freak, though. Today has been a grind (see my Challenge page for details).

I saw somewhere on the internet a list that a guy made of his favorite vegetables and then ordered them according to their glycemic index value. He took it a step further and (this is what appealed to me) color coded that list, the best ones to eat being green, and of course the worst ones being a bright, fully saturated red. He put this on his fridge or wall or something and it really helped him make better choices and it wasn't a daily intensive process, looking up the values. Just register the color and you're good to go! I've been meaning to do something like that for myself. 

Great work Silas! Way to move when you didn't want to!!!!

How did your meal out with your friend go? ALSO! BEARD TRIM! Did you get one? Can we see???

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

Thanks for the support and suggestions everybody! I'm really drawing on your guys' presence and comments through the day when I'm making my fitness/ diet decisions, so I want you guys to know how much I really do appreciate it.

Also, thanks for getting me thinking about the glycemic deal Ben and Arkham! I'll try using that going forward.

Daily report incoming!

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

Day 5 already? Really?

FOOD:

I was out and about all day today, so I only had one real sit down meal. I'm lumping everything else, in the order I ate it, as snacks.

Snacks:

-1 piece of avocado lime pie (look up the recipe, it's amazing).

-2 glasses of water.

-1 Piece of gum.

-1 medium tea, black.

Meal (lunch from Rocket):

-3 big gluten-free fish cakes with house tartar sauce.

-A salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red onion, cranberries, house dressing).

-1 medium tea, green.

Snacks part 2:

-65 gram bag of salted peanuts.

-1 pint of a local red (YellowBelly Breweries' Fighting Irish Red).

-1 bottle of water

-1 small gluten-free brownie

-1 medium latte, chai.

-Small (no really, it was tiny!) bowl of goulash.

Big day for tea apparently. Definitely could have used like 3 more bottles of water, but i suppose the two teas count as water intake yeah? (not the latte obv). So I subbed in a green salad for a regular side today!! Aren't you guys like soooo proud? haha. I ate like this today because I got the bus to a nearby (not walking/ biking distance) mall, bought a new bookbag and bike light, then spent the rest of the day downtown (like 1:00-7:00) shopping, browsing, reading, walking, eating, sitting, and meditating. Mostly walking, but lots of the other stuff too. After that one meal (around 1:30), I wasn't really hungry the rest of the day (enough for a meal) despite all the walking. Proof positive that eating better quality food makes more sense than great quantities of shitty food. Lesson learned, now hopefully it sticks!

EXERCISE:

Like I said, lots of walking (may have gotten a sunburn on my poor shaved head :( ), but no hike, no bilke, no BBW, and no heavy bag. This counts as a rest day.

SAVING:

Didn't get to the bank today to cash the check, and I did spent a bit on the bag and stuff today (the bag was $100, but because I spent over $100 by buying the $10 bike light I got a $20 gift card so that's not TOO bad right?) but I'm not worried about it. I HAVE the money at least so It will make it there in a few days.

What an enjoyable day this was. Solid deal on a great bookbag that's versatile enough for biking, hiking, and school (this one but in a nice woodsy green not shown as an option for some reason :S ), great bike light, some neat second hand books, and some natural bath supplies from Hempware (one of which was Dr. Brommer's bar soap which everyone should get!!). Then met a friend (and her second baby in two years born just a month ago!) for the latte and brownie. It was great seeing her again (we don't hang out nearly as often or for as long as we should because reasons). Had some much needed, important chats with her. AND she wants to hike with me now too sometimes! WOO! Ran into my Old English prof on the bus down this morning too for a nice chat!

I really noticed today that my self-confidence is WAY up. Like REALLY high. Not to the point that I'm getting all cocky, but I had great interactions with everyone I dealt with today. Eye contact, the right words coming out of my mouth when I wanted them to, and not feeling depressed/ anxious which is my norm. Felt great physically all day (even though I was foot-tired). Had a mix of Die Antwoord and Gogol Bordello getting me jazzed all day. Everything was great today. Absolutely everything. I just soaked in life, at peace with everything, and actually teared up at one point I was so happy. I'm tearing up at the memory of today right now haha. 5 days have changed my life. Hyperbole not present. Maybe it's the oxygen in my blood now, my new attitude because of this challenge/ site...hell, maybe it was all that sun today, but I am on such a high right now and so happy. I feel like sobbing there is such a swell of contentment deep in my chest right now. Gods, I'm getting emotional now haha.

Running from catharsis to new topic!

Beard trim didn't happen :( . Fogtown was fully booked as soon as they opened apparently, and totally full when I walked by today a couple times. It will happen next week hopefully. And since there is interest apparently, before and after shots will happen haha. I might be losing like 2-3 inches of length!  :nightmare:

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

No problem on the glycemic index info.  It's really the best guide to use when figuring out which foods will most, or least, affect your blood sugar.  My dad is diabetic so I'm pretty well versed on sugar and the way it affects the body.

If you haven't watched this video, it's a good explanation about what happens when sugar enters our bodies:

Love that video!

And I can understand the happiness feeling, Silas. There are some days where we're just on top of everything, we're doing well in our life goals, and everything is just going our way. Feels good, man!

It's a great feeling, isn't it?  I had that on Wednesday last week -- walked around the whole day with a big smile on my face.  When people asked how I was in passing conversation, I could only reply with "Fantastic!"

Smiles are contagious, btw.  :)

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

And lo, the sixth day cameth and wenteth.

I apologize in advance if this post is rambly and nonsensical. I'm having a really messed up brain day today. Bear with me.

FOOD:

Breakfast:

-Bowl of goulash.

-Glass of water.

Snacks while out at the park/ walking:

-Granny smith apple.

-Red Delicious apple.

-1 Banana.

-2 strips of beef jerky.

-2 bottles of water.

Snacks once I got home:

-Handful of nachos with some cheese sauce.

-2 slices ham sandwich meat.

-Cherry larabar.

-1 Bottle Real Brew ginger-ale

Supper:

-Piece of salmon.

-2 baked potatoes.

-Caesar salad with homemade dressing (no croutons)

-some baby pickles.

-2 glasses of water:

Work snack:

-2 bottles of water.

Exercise:

No hike, no bike (too rainy with work), no BBW, no heavy bag. Fail on all exercise goals. Though I did walk home for about an hour and a half, so not a lazy day (for me).

Saving:

STILL didn't cash that check. Who goes to a bank anyway...I'll put it in there eventually.

My day went from nice, to good, to cut short, to weird, to bad today. Went to a local park with some friends for WWKIP day (I don't knit, I nalbind, but same diff, deal with it haha). Weather got super cold so we were all freezing and cut it short. Then I started the walk home but started like zoning out and not being able to think (surprised I even made it as far and long a walk as I did, I got a ride home like minutes from my house because I was panicking a little bit and just needed it to be over). Must have gotten way too much sun despite the cloud cover today, because I couldn't think at all at work, couldn't even count the till or inventory properly, then other stuff got messed up. It was just horrible. Still can barely think. This has been a weird crash day from the high of yesterday. Yesterday was so good it's probably making today seem like it was worse than it actually was. I have a headache and really need to sleep now. I'll check in with your guys' posts that i would have tonight tomorrow instead, don't hate me haha. srsly tho.

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

Naalbindinnnngggg!  So cool!  I really want to learn, but don't have time to pick up a new hobby right now.

Sorry, after catching up on days' worth of posts, I focus on the nalbinding.  Jeez.  

>I feel like sobbing there is such a swell of contentment deep in my chest right now.

So amazing.  This has happened to me a few times since I was able to stop taking my depression meds (which kinda killed all emotion, good and bad) and it scares me some.  Okay, a lot.  One day I'll give into it and see how it makes me feel.

Don't worry too much about a bad day. I bet after a good sleep you'll feel tons better about everything.  At the end of the day yesterday I was getting really cranky and was all pessimistic about today, too:  I'm going to be too sore to do anything, I have too much to do in a day, dammit, I forgot to do the laundry, so that's even more to do tomorrow, mope, bitch, moan.  Yet after a good sleep, I'm really chipper.  Yeah, I'm sore, but that's the point, right?  There's a lot to do, but I have a list and I already put in a load of laundry and did an hour of Japanese practice.  And really?  Bitching about laundry?  It takes five seconds to cram it in the washer, and another 10 to move it to the dryer.  Folding is the longest part and that is what, 10-15 minutes max?  Get a grip, Vortex!

Us Bats are here for you, Silas!  You are doing a bang-up job already, and we're only one week in!  Here's to five more kickass batman weeks!!

FOTB!!

P.S. I vote for beard pictures too!

Level 4 Twi'lek Adventurer

STR: 3 | DEX: 4 | STA: 7 | CON: 10 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 5.5

Current Challenge

Do not betray your fellow bats.  FOTB!

I'm still not quite sure what type of bag you're dealing with.  I understand it's kind of like a training dummy to beat up; but what is is made of?  I know that there are giant sandbags that can be made with army surplus store bags and rubber chunks.  That's a project later on for me though.

Hope you're feeling better as well, Silas.

I'm going to go ahead and encourage you to make it to the bank.  Cash in your pocket tends to burn a hole through said pocket.  And this is one of your goals.  Go ahead and make some headway on it.  As my favourite trainer says… if it's hurting, it's working.

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines