Vortex: You should do all the nalbinding. It's frustratingly slow, but super durable end product. Especially compared to knitting and crochet. Thanks for the encouragement and empathy Vortex!

Teros: It's just a heavy bag. Maybe you call it a punching bag? I don't know. It's this.

Arkham and Patch: Not really feeling better today. Pretty discouraged at what I let myself NOT do today, and then what I did. Also panicked a bit about one of my goals, but I think I know how to fix that. And I handled the money business today! Got it done!

And on the seventh day he rested...and felt really bad about it.

Food:

Today, it all ran together and was mostly horrible food, so here goes.

-Glass of water.

-Glass of orange juice.

-Chicken breast.

-Some steamed broccoli.

-Chopped and fried mashed potatoes (halfway between mashed and taters? it was weird but worked out lol)

-Spicy guacamole Teen Burger from A&W, with onion rings, and a strawberry milkshake (I hate myself haha)

-Large helping of mixed berries (blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry)

-1 Orange creamsicle.

-5 mini powdered donuts.

-Lots of nachos and cheese sauce.

-2 Glasses of water.

-2 bottles of water.

So, tracked, but worst eating day yet? Good thing I didn't try to go paleo or anything yet, geeze.

Exercise:

None. Not a damn thing. My shoulders and back have been giving me a lot of grief this week with being sore and joint-achy, I still have a huge headache from all the sun, and my bald head is sun-burnt pretty bad :( . This was a comfort-seeking day.

Saving:

I done did it. Put the check in the bank, dropped $300 into savings.  

Ok, so, I'm going to update the first page of this because this is the end of the first week, and post again after.  Didn't need to, put it in the first page after all!

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 6.75 DEX: 2.75 STA: 6 CON: 6 WIS: 4 CHA: 1.5

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

Since I'm catching up, I've got to start with the other day. Your post from two days ago made my heart sing. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful day and a great meet-up with your friend and were just generally confident and feeling awesome. I did an air punch when I read about you making eye contact and the words you wanting to say just coming out of your mouth. Just, BATMAN.

And I'm sorry that yesterday sucked and you were down and down on yourself. I think you are right though. Having a particularly awesome day right next to a particularly icky day, makes the not-so-great one even worse by comparison. But we definitely all have them, especially those of us who have struggled with depression or anxiety at one time or another. (Also, you mentioned getting burned the day before? That messes me up sometimes... getting subtly dehydrated without really noticing... it can affect my next day, and thereafter. And maybe this is my own sensitivity, but I've noticed a pattern that if I've had more caffeine than usual, especially late in the day, the next day I have what I call a caffeine hangover... it's just generally harder to function and I'm kinda just cranky or otherwise miserable.)

Regarding Day 7, PLEASE! First of all, you DID work toward your goals. You deposited that check that you've been holding on to most of the week. Give yourself some credit there. Second: Rest my friend. You have been killing it this WHOLE first week. And as someone who INJURED herself working on her goals this first week, trust me when I say resting is a GREAT choice. Because that way, you CAN KILL week two. Which I am definitely expecting, from you in particular, Silas. Because you are awesome, and I know you are going to channel the Dark Knight and kick your BBW, heavy bag, hiking, biking, and eating goals like that is just what you do every day. Because it IS what you do. EVERY. DAY.

FOTB! 

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

(Also, sunburn sucks, and I'm sorry. I can't imagine what a burned scalp feels like, but I'm going with unpleasant/shitty.)

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Woo!  Give yourself a pat on the back.  You've made some progress on one of your goals, and you overcame the urge to just sit there with it unfulfilled.

Think about what the old you would have done, and then celebrate that you've done something different and proactive.

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 7.5 | CON 9 | WIS 7.5| CHA 5.5

Challenges: 1 | Current | Battle Log
"Get up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back, because we've got work to do.  Welcome to the grind."

I think we're all feeling the strain of the first week.  The initial enthusiasm is wearing off a little as we realize just how hard this is and the level of change that is involved.  And like Katia said, excessive sun does strangebad things to people.

Don't feel bad about a rest day!  They are necessary.  I should have taken one yesterday, tbh.  I was just miserable last night. Today will definitely be low-key.  It's pouring outside, so I can only walk inside the building (and can only do that so many times before it starts to look weird) and I have to make these two sewing projects a priority for tonight.  I'd like to try to sledgehammer some, but sewing has to come first as my deadline for completion is Thursday.

As others said, I think you're only seeing the bad in your day.  $300 in savings is nothing to sneeze at!  And there were more than a few good food choices mixed in there.  Side note: nachos are one of my big weaknesses, so I have no criticism for that.  I ate a large helping myself yesterday, too. :P

Level 4 Twi'lek Adventurer

STR: 3 | DEX: 4 | STA: 7 | CON: 10 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 5.5

Current Challenge

Do not betray your fellow bats.  FOTB!

Nachos don't have to be bad! Just think about what you're putting on them. Instead of tortilla chips, you could use zucchini or kale chips (and it might take some getting used to, but you DO get used to it and don't feel like you're being punished or deprived). Make sure the cheese doesn't somehow have tons of sugar (read: carbs) in it, and go for it. Put lots of veggies on top. Cut back or do away with the sour cream. Baby steps!

Level 1 Hobbit Adventurer Looking to Become an Assassin with Some Druid and Monk capabilities

Current Stats: (STR) 1 || (DEX) 1 || (STA) 1 || (CON) 2 || (WIS) 4 || (CHA) 6

"Smarten up, keep going, baby steps, Rome wasn't built in a day, fall to rise again". Thank all of you for saying your version of these haha. Seriously, I really needed to here this for myself today. Got pretty discourage. Vort is definitely right about the enthusiasm being tempered by my struggles this week. But of course it would be. I'm moving instead of not moving all of a sudden haha.

Side note, my quads are HA-YUGE now. I've been carrying around and extra hundred or so pounds for years, so my legs have always been strong and solid, but the squats, lunges, biking, hiking, and walking last week have already made a huge difference in their size, the fat on them, and their definition. Holy results in no time, Batman!

Side note the second: When I say nachos, I literally mean just the tortilla chips haha. If I ever do have what people think of when they think nachos, with toppings like a real person, I'll say everything that's on them. But nachos and cheese sauce literally mean a bowl of tortilla chips and a container of cheese sauce. Like a savage haha

So week 2 day 1!

FOOD:

At work:

-Mini donut.

-4 bottles of water.

-Garden salad with chicken breast strips (hardly any chicken at all but look! Not a cold plate with bad salads! Not a processed meat and cheese sub!)

After work:

-12" Steak and cheese sub on a flatbread with avocado, chipotle sauce, cucumber, lettuce, tomato, green pepper, spinach.

-Bottle of green iced tea.

-Bottle of water

At MtG session:

-1 Creamsicle.

-15 mini donuts (dear god what have I done)

-bag of sunchips

3 glasses of water.

EXERCISE:

Planned on BBW and heavy bag today, but got called in to work as soon as I was awake. I biked in though! And the bike back was straight against the wind the whole time besides being uphill so it took even longer (7 minutes down, 13 minutes back). No hike yet, but SO MANY people want to hike with me now. Like 4 people irl are willing to hike with me. I'm gonna crush the hiking always and forever.

SAVING:

Not paid yet, think I don't even get paid this week but next.

So not a bad day really except for the food atrocity that is a Magic: The Gathering game session of males in their 20's :S. Feel pretty good about what I ate before that sadness though. I'm finally getting more hours at work now, including tomorrow, so I'll be biking a lot assuming the weather holds off. Also have to do a few errands nearby this week so I'll bike to those as well. Feeling good and ready to kill this second week! FOTB!!

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

Okay, after learning this first week I've updated my goal grading system and given a first week progress report on my original post. Look good to you guys?

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

I really noticed today that my self-confidence is WAY up. Like REALLY high. Not to the point that I'm getting all cocky, but I had great interactions with everyone I dealt with today. Eye contact, the right words coming out of my mouth when I wanted them to, and not feeling depressed/ anxious which is my norm. Felt great physically all day (even though I was foot-tired). Had a mix of Die Antwoord and Gogol Bordello getting me jazzed all day. Everything was great today. Absolutely everything. I just soaked in life, at peace with everything, and actually teared up at one point I was so happy. I'm tearing up at the memory of today right now haha. 5 days have changed my life. Hyperbole not present. Maybe it's the oxygen in my blood now, my new attitude because of this challenge/ site...hell, maybe it was all that sun today, but I am on such a high right now and so happy. I feel like sobbing there is such a swell of contentment deep in my chest right now. Gods, I'm getting emotional now haha.

This. This this this! How amazing is that? Just reading it, I got teary eyed! I'm so stoked for you. This is exactly what NerdFitness is all about. And it's an honor to be here and witness it. Thank you so much for sharing!

Leksifer

Level 1 Human Adventurer

(Ranger/Warrior/Druid-in training)

First 6-week challenge: I want to jiggle less.

I'm moving instead of not moving all of a sudden haha.

Side note the second: When I say nachos, I literally mean just the tortilla chips haha. If I ever do have what people think of when they think nachos, with toppings like a real person, I'll say everything that's on them. But nachos and cheese sauce literally mean a bowl of tortilla chips and a container of cheese sauce. Like a savage haha

15 mini donuts (dear god what have I done)

I'm right there with ya on the moving instead of not moving.  I have to admit, there is that part of me that's not quite buying into this change and wants to be just curled up on the couch all the time like I was before.  Nights like tonight, it's pretty damn tempting, too.

That's how I do nachos too!  Sometimes I have salsa  as well, but I can demolish a bag of chips, seriously.  Did you know that if you put shredded cheese over a plate of chips and then microwave them until the cheese melts the chips do not get soggy?  Learning that was life-changing for me.  Warm chips + real cheese?  Gotta be better than cheese sauce.

I swear, mini-anything is worse than the full size.  I always eat more than a donut's worth of minis, or two candy bars' worth, etc.  Mini is the spawn of the devil!

Level 4 Twi'lek Adventurer

STR: 3 | DEX: 4 | STA: 7 | CON: 10 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 5.5

Current Challenge

Do not betray your fellow bats.  FOTB!

Vort is definitely right about the enthusiasm being tempered by my struggles this week. But of course it would be. I'm moving instead of not moving all of a sudden haha.

Side note, my quads are HA-YUGE now.

Holy results in no time, Batman!

EXERCISE:

Planned on BBW and heavy bag today, but got called in to work as soon as I was awake. I biked in though! And the bike back was straight against the wind the whole time besides being uphill so it took even longer (7 minutes down, 13 minutes back). No hike yet, but SO MANY people want to hike with me now. Like 4 people irl are willing to hike with me. I'm gonna crush the hiking always and forever.

So not a bad day really except for the food atrocity that is a Magic: The Gathering game session of males in their 20's :S. Feel pretty good about what I ate before that sadness though.

Yes! Moving instead of not moving is a victory in itself! As are huge quads ;) WAY TO GO!

So impressed with your choice to bike when you didn't get in the BBW and heavy bag. And, how cool that you have a hiking TEAM irl! Can't wait to see pics from your next hike!

I'd say all in all, not bad my friend! I definitely know the evil of delicious carb-sugar-fat laden foods... they are my nemesis. But (thank the frakin' gods) TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY. 

Okay, after learning this first week I've updated my goal grading system and given a first week progress report on my original post. Look good to you guys?

Yeah, I think that's totally fair and seems doable from the way you've been riding so far, right? (Subgoal: what if you CAN bike for 30 consecutive minutes at the end of this challenge??? You are on your way!) 

I swear, mini-anything is worse than the full size.  I always eat more than a donut's worth of minis, or two candy bars' worth, etc.  Mini is the spawn of the devil!

^This.

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Leksifer: To answer your question of how I'm feeling: I biked 45 minutes total today to run errands (even though I had the car today!), destroyed the protein mini-challenge goal, made plans for a hike, tracked my food, worked to get money for goal 4, and...get ready...

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

I GOT THROUGH THE BBW CIRCUIT TWO SOLID TIMES!

The whole thing, all reps, twice, with just a 3 minute break between.

And that's AFTER the 45 minutes biking. So, 45 minutes biking, 40 squats, 40 lunges on each leg, 20 push-ups, 20 rows on each arm (with 30 lb dumbell, not 20 like I've been using this whole time!), 2 15 second planks, and 60 jumping jacks today.

WHO EVEN AM I

Side note: to tired for an update proper tonight, I'll do it tomorrow morning. Good night to all you beautiful Batmen (Batmanz? Batwimminz?), you are all awesome. FotB!

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

Thanks Patch! It's no bootcamp but it was a lot for me and I am feelin' it this morning haha. At this rate, I'll be able to get through it thrice by the end of the challenge no problem (and probably be biking in 30 minute intervals too Katia!). Really pumped this week so far.

Ok so yesterday (Week 2 day 2).

FOOD:

Breakfast at a diner after I biked a bit:

-Coffee.

-Grilled chicken breast sandwich (bun, chicken breast, lettuce, tomato, mayo)

-Baked potato with sour cream.

-Glass of water.

-A pear for dessert.

Before work out:

-1 pork chop.

-2 glasses of water.

Before work:

-2 eggs.

At work:

-Peanuts.

-Garden salad with chicken and cheese

-4 Bottles of water.

After work (surprise outing):

-2 piece fish and chips.

-2 pints Rickard's White.

-1 mini donut.

Pretty good until the late night unnecessary meal right? Not too bad? For the mini-challenge, according to that link with the protein references, thats's 30g for the chicken breast, 22g for the pork chop, 12g for the two eggs, 18g for the peanuts (off the package), then a couple more for the bit of chicken and cheese on that salad, and then some for the 2 pieces of fish. So total that's 82 plus whatever the chicken, cheese and fish is worth. definitely made 85g for the workout day though right? I must have.

EXERCISE:

-20 minute bike ride to the RNC office.

-15 minute bike ride to the bank.

-10 minute bike ride home again.

-Through the BBW twice.

So I didn't bike to work (it was raining), but the last 25 minutes of what I DID bike was also in the rain and I just Batmanned through it so I'm fine with not biking to work. Can't be sogged at work haha.

SAVING:

-again, not paid this week.

HIKE:

-planned for Sunday! Maybe also a solo one tomorrow (day off).

Feeling good about this week guys! Today's a rest day for me because I killed myself so hard yesterday, and I'm ok with that now! I'll be posting today's run down later tonight when I get off work as per usual.

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

Holy crap!!!  Kicking ass on the BBW Silas!  Well done, indeed!

It also looks like your diet is getting better too.  There's no refined sugars in that day's worth of eating (except just one mini donut) and that's a FANTASTIC step!

(Side note:  I had to look up what Rickard's White was.  Looks delicious.  I LOVE wheat beers.)

Great job!

Week 2, day the third (HOW IS THIS GOING BY SO FAST?!?!)

FOOD:

Lunch with a friend:

-Bowl of beef and veggie soup (9g protein)

-Chicken and pork souvlaki (13g and 21g of protein respectively)

-Big garden salad

-3 glasses of water

-3 mini donuts

-licorice mint

At work:

-4 bottles of water

-Peanuts (18g protein)

-Special K morning shake, strawberry flavour (10g protein)

-Buffalo Chicken wrap (10g protein)

Signed up for My Fitness Pal because of so many of you guys talking about it, so that's where I'm getting the protein values of stuff that didn't come in a package. This is everything I ate today, which doesn't seem like anything after yesterday, but I was fully satisfied and didn't feel like I was hungry at any point really, just ate for the protein goal and something to do basically. Which is good maybe?

EXERCISE:

None. Rest day. Just on my feet all day at work. Probably bike a bunch tomorrow (day off) but not try the BBW because My shoulders definitely need some patience. Possible hike tomorrow, and hike planned for Sunday. Tomorrow will probably be a relaxed, or social exercise day (read: the best kind of exercise day).

SAVING:

Can't, not paid yet.

All in all an uneventful, simple day! 81 grams of protein today, which is over what I need for a rest day, so I'm feeling good about that (2 days of 5 down for the mini-challenge!). Feeling good, feeling strong. Tomorrow's going to be a great day too. I'll probably bike even if there's a few showers or light drizzle just to get some minutes in there. 

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

Wow!!! What a great challenge for you so far :) :) :) I love your food, you are eating great, well minus the donuts, but I have a constant struggle with sugar myself, so I know how it is....one thing at a time yeah?

I'm definitely going to make it to Newfoundland now too!!!

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

And thanks Ben! I definitely find that just tracking my food has had a positive effect on what I choose to eat. This mini-challenge is interesting too, because I've tracked my food before, but never protein etc. SO proud of my BBW accomplishment. That's basically a 200% improvement in what I could do before (more if you count that I used a higher weight dumbbell!)!

All Rickard's is awesome. Do you not have Rickard's in Kentucky? We've got some great local beers here too man, particularly Wexford Wheat. Delicious liquid gold. Rickard's, Alexander Keith, Yellowbelly's line, Quidi Vidi's line, and Strongbow are all solid drinks (Yellowbelly and Quidi Vidi are local breweries in St. John's).

Bekah! Are you really? When? What area?

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines