Hufflepug's epic quest :) (First challenge!)

Hi everyone! I'm brand new. I posted a brief introduction in the Introduction Forum: http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/29480-yet-another-newb-here-for-the-challenge/ but I've decided Adventurer is the path for me so I thought I'd say hi here too!

I've been focusing on my health since March. I'm not on any specific diet, but I log my food on Lose It, and use a FitBit pedometer every day. 

Some starting stats:

(RL) Female, Age 33, Height 5'9", Weight 298ish. I'd like to get down to 200 or so, but I prefer to work at one 5 pound goal at a time :)

(NFR): Level 1 Adventurer (Race undecided. I'm ogre/troll sized but I refuse to be one of those :tongue: I've decided on a race! See update below!

• Strength (STR) - 1
  • Dexterity (DEX) - 2
  • Stamina (STA) - 2
  • Constitution (CON) - 3
  • Wisdom (WIS) - 4
  • Charisma (CHA) - 3

My goals!

Fitness/Diet:

1. Do a plank a day http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/joining-the-plank-a-day-challenge-is-a-great-ab-workout-2515599.html (STR + 3)

2. Do the 30 minute Circuit Training at my gym twice a week (STR +2, STA +1)

3. Do kettlebell workout twice a week (STR +1, DEX +2, STA +2)

Level Up Life:

1. Pay off my Best Buy credit card by the end of the 6 week challenge (WIS +3, CHA +1)

Edit 5/31: Vitals updated, thanks for the pointer AgentKatia!

Edit 6/2: I've picked my race! Mermaid, a nice plump one like this: http://fatpeopleart.tumblr.com/post/24814507347/image-a-pencil-drawing-of-a-fat-light-skinned

(I wish I could give the artist credit but the link back to their tumblr is no longer working.) I wish I could say I chose mermaid because I swim, but the pools at my apartment are nasty and there's not really anywhere else... hopefully once I buy a house :) I just really like the idea of mermaids being able to be any size or shape or race. Also because I'm a big fan of this quote, also found on tumblr ;)

mermaids don’t have thigh gaps but they can still lure men to their deaths

(via:  http://misandry-mermaid.tumblr.com/post/50466263372/roseisreturning-mermaids-dont-have-thigh-gaps )

Hufflepug
Level 2 Mermaid Druid - Challenge #2
STR 1, DEX 2, STA 2, CON 3, WIS 7, CHA 4
Feel free to friend me on: LoseIt! | FitBit | Fitocracy | Spark People

Awesome goals! I (recently) love circuit training. This Nerd Fitness article is actually the one that got me into it! (It's also the article that got me into bodyweight exercises.)

Not sure if you've seen these? Should help with figuring out stats.

Good luck!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

I like working on ten pound goals. Trying to look at the whole amount is seriously detrimental to my motivation (not to mention my self esteem). 

You've got this! It's gonna be great!

Level 1 Hobbit Adventurer Looking to Become an Assassin with Some Druid and Monk capabilities

Current Stats: (STR) 1 || (DEX) 1 || (STA) 1 || (CON) 2 || (WIS) 4 || (CHA) 6

Awesome goals! I (recently) love circuit training. This Nerd Fitness article is actually the one that got me into it! (It's also the article that got me into bodyweight exercises.)

Not sure if you've seen these? Should help with figuring out stats.

Good luck!

Thanks, I'll take a look at those links :) I tried the circuit for the first time today. I didn't do it quite right. I go to Planet Fitness, and I guess you're supposed to do steps on the green light in between the machines. I thought you were supposed to do steps during the red light, but I didn't have time after wiping down the machine (I barely had time to even do that!). Someone else came along and started doing it the right way, so I figured it out for the next time ;)

Hufflepug

Welcome to the Rebellion!

I've taken the race Half-Ogre... I'm going to be a buff, lithe HalfOgre some day ;)

Best of luck to you, we'll all be cheering you on.

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Hello and welcome!! Your goals look fantastic, and definitely do-able!

Best of luck to you on your journey! :D

Level 2 Imp. Assassin at heart, training with the Adventurers - Challenges: 1 , 2(Current)STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 6 | CON 4,75 | WIS 4,5 | CHA 3,75

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West

So far so good! My planks seem to be maxed at 30 seconds right now, I'd like to get up to a full minute by the end of this, but it's not a hard fast goal. Just doing it once a day is enough :) I did my circuit training today, and will go again on Friday, and I did my kettlebell workout yesterday. I'm going to aim to do kettlebells on Monday and Wednesdays, and circuit training on Tuesdays and Fridays. And then maybe have a bonus workout day on Thursdays or the weekend, when I just do cardio stuff.

I've also been thinking about what class I want to aim for, and I'm leaning towards druid :) I'm all about balance and I really want to spend more time outdoors, as well as add some yoga to my workouts. I've already started a list of possible goals for the next 6 week challenge! :)

Hufflepug

Checking in. I've been doing well with the challenge so far. I've done my planks daily, I'm going to start trying to add 5 seconds each week. My 2 kettlebell sessions for the week are complete, and I do my second circuit training session tomorrow before work. Today I went roller skating for a little bit as a bonus :) It was hard though, I haven't skated in (many many many many) years, so I was beyond out of practice. I'd like to keep it up though, I've always loved skating.

Mood wise, I'm having a rough time this week. My father is dying, and being surrounded by father's day ads and posters all the time is really making it hard. I start seeing a new therapist on Monday, so I'm hoping I can at least say what I need to coherantly rather than just crying my face out the whole time. I had to leave a meeting at work today because I just started sobbing out of no where. And I'm out of my anti-anxiety medication until next week :(

Hufflepug

I'm really sorry to hear about your father, that's tough business.

Looks like you are doing great with the challenge, here's hoping all of the working out will help you focus and meet this tough time with strength.

Those daily planks will get you string in no time!

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Hey huffle sorry to hear about your dad.  Mine passed away 7 years ago (can't believe it's been that long already) and we knew it was coming.  Work was the hardest place to be.  Well meaning coworkers would often make me want to cry.  

I hope working out will help you through.  It made a big difference for me.  Keep kicking butt on your challenges! You're doing awesome! 

Aerie - Level 4

Current Challenge

I'm sorry to hear about your dad.  My dad died this October and his birthday is coming up, June 17th - the day after Father's Day.  He would have turned 70 and I had plans in the works since last summer - tracking down his old friends, collecting letters from them.  Did receive a few before he died and I read them to him while I sat with him at hospice.  It is awful to lose a parent.  I hope you can stick with your challenge!  It's a good way to clear your head during this tough situation. 

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

As I was reading through your thread, I was all ready to say things about planks, since that's something I'm working on, too, but instead I'm just really sorry about your father. Mine passed away suddenly two years ago, and it still hurts a lot sometimes (let's just say I can relate to having to leave work to cry). I agree with Aerie and mom2sjm: even though it's so much harder right now, finding time to exercise and just focus on your own goals will likely do you a lot of good and will probably help you find internal strength to support your dad and the rest of your family. It's understandable to take things down a notch or three if you need to.

Hugs (unless that's creepy from an internet stranger), and good luck with everything.

Level 4 Adventurer

STR 6 | DEX 2 | STA 6 | CON 8 | WIS 10 | CHA 5

current challenge

third challenge | second challenge | first challenge

Thanks for the kind words everyone <3

I'm sorry to hear about your dad.  My dad died this October and his birthday is coming up, June 17th - the day after Father's Day.  He would have turned 70 and I had plans in the works since last summer - tracking down his old friends, collecting letters from them.  Did receive a few before he died and I read them to him while I sat with him at hospice.  It is awful to lose a parent.  I hope you can stick with your challenge!  It's a good way to clear your head during this tough situation. 

My dad turned 70 in March. He's been ill since October, but his health quickly declined right after my mom died in January (both had/have cancer). They were living in Florida at the time and he wound up being hospitalized the day after we left, so he moved in with my brother. At least now it's easy to visit him, my brother only lives 2 hours away. It is awful, and dealing with it again so soon after my mother died is agony. 

I think I'll be ok with the challenge, it gives me something to focus on. I still need to do my 2nd circuit training for the week, so I'm going to go to the gym and take care of that today.

Hufflepug

I've been slacking this week, sort of. I've done my daily planks, I did my kettlebells on Monday and will do them again tonight, but I haven't done any circuit training yet. I've had therapy appointments twice this week before work, and the gym closes before I get out of work, so I just haven't had a chance. I'm hoping to go tomorrow and Friday, even though they say not to do it two days in a row.

On the bright side, goal #4 is complete! My best buy card is paid off :)

Hufflepug

Hey great job on completing a goal already! That's great! :)

On your circuit training, just take it easier one of the days and you'll be fine.  My understanding is back to back is not as efficient, but it's not going to hurt you.  Are the planks getting easier?

Aerie - Level 4

Current Challenge

I'm actually considering dropping the circuit training. I picked that goal before I ever tried it, and the whole setup at my gym makes me really anxious. There are signs every where saying you have to follow the circuit, and there are always people jumping in and doing a machine or two (usually the next one in my circuit) and it's silly but it makes me stressed out. The exercises themselves are fine, but the way it's set up makes me feel frazzled, and then I avoid the gym altogether, which is not good. I haven't done any of my cardio workouts since starting the circuits either, and I enjoy them more. So yeah I may just take the ding on those points. I'm still thinking about it.

The planks are actually getting harder ;_;   My husband pointed out that I was sticking my ass up more than I realized, so now I'm concentrating more on my form and keeping my back straight, so I've gone from being able to do 30 seconds to being able to do only 20. I'm keeping at it though, hopefully it'll get easier :)

Hufflepug

Haha, yea whenever I feel planks getting easier I have to remember to lower my butt! Makes a huge difference.  

That stinks that your fellow gym members aren't following the rules.  That would make me anxious too, but don't let them ruin your workout.  You're the one following the circuit and you have the right to the machines.  If there's enough staff I'd ask one of them to monitor the area and speak to people they see doing that.  Is it a Planet Fitness?  I used to have a membership there and I remember they had a circuit room that sounds like what you've described.

Aerie - Level 4

Current Challenge

Yeah it's a planet fitness :) Part of me hates to quit a portion of the challenge, especially so early in. But, I was just getting to that point where I was enjoying trips to the gym and looking foward to working out. The circuit training took me back to "ugh I don't wanna goooo" so... I think maybe dropping it and just concentrating on going to the gym twice a week might be better for me in the long run.

Hufflepug

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines