• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aisle4b

Aisle4b's 1st Challenge

44 posts in this topic

Looks like I'm setting out on my first adventure! 

• Eat no bread or added sugar for 30 (not necessarily consecutive) days. I'm not quite ready to go full paleo (my attempts have revealed that I'm surprisingly really into beans), but these two are the foods that once I start eating them it's hard for me to stop, and make me feel the worst. The 12 free days are to allow for occasional social situations where it might be awkward to avoid at least a little of something offered, but I'm aiming to not have to use all of those days. +3 CON. +3 STA

​          A: 35 days, B: 30 days, C: 25 days, D: 30 days, F: less than 20 days

• Complete current lower body workout with heavy resistance band and 5 lb ankle weights with no more than 5 second rests within a set. This is mostly a matter of consistency; if I work out, I'll get here easily. If I don't, I'll still be at my current level at the end of the weeks.  +1 STR

A: complete twice as written, B: complete once, C: complete without ankle weights, F: complete at medium resistance (current level)

• Complete ten (from under a table) pull ups consecutively with my chest touching the table at the end of each rep. +3 STR, +2 STA

A: 10 under table pullups, B: 8, C: 6, D: 4, F: 2

Level up goal:

• ​Clean for 15 minutes every day. +2 WIS +1 STA

A: 36-42 days, B: 31-35 days, C: 26-30 days, D: 21-25 days, F: 20 days or less

Workout A (M/W/F); slightly modified angry birds workout, aiming to get as many reps as I can with 2 sets, working on muscle endurance and proper form

2 sets of knee pushups

2 sets of pullups 

2 sets of overhead squats

2 planks

If I start to get bored, I may switch over to another bodyweight routine to keep things fresh

Workout B (T/Th)

(Lower body workout with resistance bands and weights)

I'll get measurement and pics up on the first day, see you on Monday!

nice and concise goals :)

i have cleanup as well in mine :) But i thinkj you should up the attribute rewards a bit. you can distribute 15points in total

Oh really, it's 15 per challenge? I thought that was just for the beginning. Neat!

Nice goals!  I second the suggestion to up your points for a total of 15.  Looking forward to our accountabilibuddy group this challenge!

Your goals are really specific and totally attainable--good luck with them!  (I really should have added cleaning to mine, but the task is just too overwhelming! ;) )

So, here are my before pictures. Living room, after a weekend of having people over for tabletop games and crafting:

Living Room Disaster

Well, I won't be running out of things to clean.

My before stats in my "skinny clothes" (you may notice that the jeans don't even button):

Before

Today went... ehhh. My office had a birthday party, and without even thinking I grabbed a donut. Just as I finished it I recalled that, oh yeah, I'm not supposed to be eating flour and sugar! What makes this worse is that it wasn't a logical choice, like this was something amazing that I wanted to use one of my free days for, but just mindless munching. Damn.

I'll be cleaning and doing the first day of my workout as soon as we finish Game of Thrones (I would normally make myself do work first, but I REALLY REALLY want to see the Red Wedding). I also picked up some swimming gear today since I suddenly remembered that my apartment complex has a pool, and that would be a great way for me to get some cardio in (I hate running).

Tally so far:

Days cleaned: 1/1

Days without sugar and bread: 0/1

So, here are my before pictures. Living room, after a weekend of having people over for tabletop games and crafting:

Well, I won't be running out of things to clean.

My before stats in my "skinny clothes" (you may notice that the jeans don't even button):

Today went... ehhh. My office had a birthday party, and without even thinking I grabbed a donut. Just as I finished it I recalled that, oh yeah, I'm not supposed to be eating flour and sugar! What makes this worse is that it wasn't a logical choice, like this was something amazing that I wanted to use one of my free days for, but just mindless munching. Damn.

I'll be cleaning and doing the first day of my workout as soon as we finish Game of Thrones (I would normally make myself do work first, but I REALLY REALLY want to see the Red Wedding). I also picked up some swimming gear today since I suddenly remembered that my apartment complex has a pool, and that would be a great way for me to get some cardio in (I hate running).

Tally so far:

Omg Game of Thrones, eh? I won't say anymore. ;) I actually did my exercise first and used the episode as my reward. How was the swim?

Tally so far:

Just remembering is a big challenge for me.  I haven't listed it in my goals, but I've spent the last 7 weeks just noticing whether I'm hungry when I eat.  Good luck with this!

Week 1 Update 2

The week is ticking on, and I'm ticking off my cleaning and fitness goals (though my diet is a problem, as you'll see below). Yesterday I got my workout and cleaning done before work and that made my day go smoother since I was already basically done for the day. I took a swim as well, by which I mean mostly just got used to being in water and not gasping for air. I did 200 yards alternating between strokes as I got too tired to do freestyle, and also took some time practicing my turns at the end of a lap to get used to being under water and eventually be able to do laps smoothly instead of stopping, turning, and pushing off the side.

I've got a few questions for my fellow Rebels:

• I never noticed before that I have a lot of people offering me food, namely sweets and breads, and I feel like it will be an insult if I turn them down. This is part of why my diet number is so low, and I really want to turn this around without offending my friends. Any suggestions?
  • Swimming is SO MUCH better with a swim cap/goggles/nose plugs, but with my thick hair the swim cap won't stay on for long. Any long-haired people have any ideas of how to keep it on longer?
  • I'm doing all of my workouts from home since I don't have access to a gym, but my overhead squats with just a broomstick are getting too easy. I'm now able to do about 100, and man is it boring. I'd much rather find a more difficult (but not jump-squats, I hate jump squats) version and do fewer reps, but I don't have access to big weights.

Days cleaned: 4/5

Days without bread or sugar: 1/4

I happened to hop on the scale as I walked past this morning, and it read 191.4. Even though my diet goal has been difficult, it looks like I'm making progress.

Weight lost: 6.3 lbs

*Snoopy Dance of Joy* for losing weight and sticking to goals!!  I'm impressed with swimming for exercise.  That's tough.

I've got a few questions for my fellow Rebels:

• I never noticed before that I have a lot of people offering me food, namely sweets and breads, and I feel like it will be an insult if I turn them down. This is part of why my diet number is so low, and I really want to turn this around without offending my friends. Any suggestions?
  • Swimming is SO MUCH better with a swim cap/goggles/nose plugs, but with my thick hair the swim cap won't stay on for long. Any long-haired people have any ideas of how to keep it on longer?
  • I'm doing all of my workouts from home since I don't have access to a gym, but my overhead squats with just a broomstick are getting too easy. I'm now able to do about 100, and man is it boring. I'd much rather find a more difficult (but not jump-squats, I hate jump squats) version and do fewer reps, but I don't have access to big weights.

Can you say something like, "Wow! That looks delicious.  It's so sweet of you to offer, but I'm just not hungry right now."  Another, sneakier and more wasteful option is to say, "Thank you" and quietly dispose of the food.

Would braiding your hair help with the swim cap?  I'm thinking the cap goes over your head and the braid(s) stick out.

Could you hang bags of heavy stuff like canned food or milk jugs on each end of the broomstick or is that too precarious?

*Snoopy Dance of Joy* for losing weight and sticking to goals!!  I'm impressed with swimming for exercise.  That's tough.

Can you say something like, "Wow! That looks delicious.  It's so sweet of you to offer, but I'm just not hungry right now."  Another, sneakier and more wasteful option is to say, "Thank you" and quietly dispose of the food.

Would braiding your hair help with the swim cap?  I'm thinking the cap goes over your head and the braid(s) stick out.

Could you hang bags of heavy stuff like canned food or milk jugs on each end of the broomstick or is that too precarious?

That sounds like a smart way to get out of treats, thanks. I'm a little socially awkward, and I was worried I might accidentally offend someone.

The last time I swam, the ponytail holder actually came out in the middle of my workout, so having hair secured outside my cap might not work very well. I bought a "long hair" swim cap that'll be here in two days, so I think I can manage until then (I'll try out braids tomorrow and see if that helps).

I'm suddenly very pleased I have an abundance of cloth bags. It'll take some balance to make that work, but that's good for me anyway :P

Thanks so much for your help!

Can you take a nibble out of appreciation? Or do they try to offload the entire tray to you? ;) I agree with the above. Or maybe to acquaintances, you can fudge (har har) the truth a bit and say that you have a really weird diet that no one understands...? And that you'll break out into terrible rashes if you don't watch it? /devious

Alrighty, my long haired swim cap has arrived and I'm ready to do some swimming tomorrow. I went for a swim with some friends yesterday and it was a lot of fun - we ended up racing back and forth across the pool, which really motivated to keep going and try to get faster.

I'm also pleased to announce that I've completed my lower body workout with a heavy resistance band. Unfortunately, I'm a little strapped for cash to get the 5 lb ankle weight requisite to fulfilling my goal, so I may have to cobble something together to up the difficulty slightly more.

I've realized I made a mistake with my diet goal; my bread/starch cravings are a different beast than my sweet tooth cravings, and tackling both at once feels overwhelming. There's part of me that wants to try to just push through it, but if I rush into it I don't think I'll be able to keep it up long term. Since bread is my easier craving, I'm making that my priority. However, since it's easier, I'm also making my grading more difficult to account for that (I have to not eat any bread for the rest of the challenge to still get an A):

A: 40 days, B: 38 days, C: 36 days, D: 34 days, F: 32 days or less

Cleaning is actually going quite well; I half expected to run out of things to clean, but I definitely haven't :P

Days Cleaned: 7/9

Days Without Bread: 7/9

Sweet. Races always make me work harder. Guess it's that natural competition within all of us! I wonder if DIY resistance bands exist...

Hmm, they might... I just got a light/medium/heavy mix off Amazon. I'm quite proud of myself for managing to finish the workout with a heavy band, but I'm annoyed that I made my goal to complete it with additional weights before I had those weights in my possession. Well, ya live ya learn, I guess!

Great job on your goals so far--it looks like you're doing really well!  Maybe there are some DIY options you could try?  A quick Googling comes up with tube socks, sand and beans, but I'm sure there's something that would work.  Good luck!

Whoops! Where did the week go? Somehow I've ended up going over a week without updating. I'll remedy that now :)

I'm really enjoying swimming and I'm working through a 0 to 1650 program to work up to a mile, I'm liking it so much that I'm ending up eschewing my main strength workout for cardio. I know I need to do more strength, but at this point I'm so out of shape that swimming is excellent cross-training; I'm up to 8 pull ups, and I've completed as much of my 2nd goal as is possible.

I hurt my neck swimming late last week - I think I was holding my head up, so I've spent the weekend being lazy and absentmindedly forgetting to clean. It's time to get back to it this week; even though it's easy to start and even end strong, keeping this up in the middle two weeks will require some diligence from me.

Days Cleaned: 13/17

Days Without Bread: 14/17

I'm wondering if you can use more than one band at a time to have heavier resistance?  If you hold heavy and medium at the same time, that's heavier than heavy...

Whoops! Where did the week go? Somehow I've ended up going over a week without updating. I'll remedy that now :)

I'm really enjoying swimming and I'm working through a 0 to 1650 program to work up to a mile, I'm liking it so much that I'm ending up eschewing my main strength workout for cardio. I know I need to do more strength, but at this point I'm so out of shape that swimming is excellent cross-training; I'm up to 8 pull ups, and I've completed as much of my 2nd goal as is possible.

I hurt my neck swimming late last week - I think I was holding my head up, so I've spent the weekend being lazy and absentmindedly forgetting to clean. It's time to get back to it this week; even though it's easy to start and even end strong, keeping this up in the middle two weeks will require some diligence from me.

Days Cleaned: 13/17

Days Without Bread: 14/17

Me too! I hurt my shoulder doing too many pushups too fast, and it's since spread up to my neck. Guess we gotta be careful. Swimming is so wonderfully low impact tho. And when that fails, there's always the hot tub! ;)

OOOOHHHH!  Hot tub....drool.

Steam rooms are good too! It all counts as recovery after a good long workout... right? ;)

I'm wondering if you can use more than one band at a time to have heavier resistance?  If you hold heavy and medium at the same time, that's heavier than heavy...

That's a very good idea - I'm thinking a new final goal might be heavy + medium resistance bands.

I'm also very sad to say that I don't have a hot tub, agh. Just the apartment swimming pool (which is mercifully deserted on weekend evenings, yesss!)

I've been putting off the body weight workout since I was getting into pretty high reps (a.k.a. I was getting bored). I just tried one circuit of the advanced bodyweight workout, and yowza! I think this'll be a my new goal. I went slow and gently with the pull-ups and chin ups (I could feel my neck tensing, and it's still a little sore), but I completed the following in 4 minutes and 25 seconds:

• 20 Body Weight Squats
  • 10 Walking Lunges
  • 15 Jump ups
  • 3 Inverted Pull Ups 
  • 10 knee push ups
  • 3 Chin Up Rows (or as close as I could approximate; my table doesn't have anywhere for me to hold it in that direction and I spaced out that I could just lay the opposite direction)
  • 10 knee push ups
  • 30 second plank
  • 30 Jumping jacks

Without the chin ups/pull ups (for the sake of my neck), I completed a second circuit at 3:22. Whew, I'm done for the day!

Days cleaned: 14/18

Days without bread: 15/18

Yay for moving to more advanced workouts.  That is SUCH a rush--I loved it when the beginner body weight got easy and I moved up to another workout.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0