God's Awesome Word

Can anyone recommend study aids for Isaiah, Daniel and/or Ezekiel? I get lost so quickly in these books!

For our Bible Studies at Church we use InterVarstiy Press books.  They have one for most books of the Bible and topics as well.  They're usually only around $10/ea and are really good.  There's a little intro each week with though provoking questions.  Then a few questions that have you look at the verses, what the verses are saying and how you can apply it to your life and a prayer suggestion.  The nice thing is it's not a commentary, it just leads you in thinking about and learning what the word says/what God is saying to you.

• Like 2

My self-worth, beauty, strength, and overall awesomeness is not defined by numbers.

12STR  13.75CON  5STA  12WIS   14CHA  6DEX        1 fire flower

Current Challenge   #8  #7   #6  #5  Unofficial  #4  #3  #2

"It's only impossible if you stop to think about it first."  -The Pirate Captian

First off for Aelinn there are a few good resources I can recommend but I don't have them on hand at the moment.. I'll try to get a list together for you later :) but the resource that otter 905 gave sounds pretty good! Also feel free to Message me anytime if you have questions about any Scriptures and I'd be happy to try to answer them the best I can!

Also welcome to the discussion DerekP thank you for that insightful Scripture in Proverbs on the consequences and dangerous of giving into lust and prostitution and how those consequences will befall any who give into such a sin (Sin which is something that God hates and desires for non-to fall into because it takes us far short of the full life God has designed for us)

Also for those who would like to know what verse was actually being mentioned in regards to the beating of a slave (saying that Jesus said it {while not false} might lead one to scour the New Testament for such a scripture in vain) The Scripture in question is Exodus 21:20-21 "When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged (receive the death penalty for such violence). But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged (receive the death penalty), for the slave is his money."

This is a very interesting passage and seems cruel and unjust when taken out of the context of the entire revelation of Scripture. I would take the time to write a full discourse here but this is supposed to be a place of encouragement to one another and I don't want to take up so much space so instead there was a very good article I read on this passage recently and I will supply the link to the article for those who wish to read the understanding of this in the full revelation of Scripture :) http://www.revelation.co/2013/06/09/bible-says-its-okay-to-beat-your-slave-as-long-as-they-dont-die-exodus-2120-21/

God Bless you DerekP and thanks for the input I hope you take time to search out Scriptures and fully investigate the opinions of many men and women who have dedicated their lives to understanding the Bible both those who agree with it and those who do not. In fact I think that all people should investigate what they believe and anything anyone might have to say against it to get a full conviction of their beliefs. I will keep you in prayer as I will all those who are on here! 

• Like 6

Vasilis, level 3

Lycan, Ranger

STR |5.5| DEX|4| STA|4| CON|6| WIS|5| CHA|0|

Previous Challenge: Level 1 RebelRangersRangersMonks Current Challenge: Monks

Track Calories with MyFitnessPal (4.5% per comp)

9%
9%

MOSSA Power and Fight (5% per comp)

0%
0%

No Soda (4% per comp)

8%
8%

Bed by 10:30 awake by 6:30 (2.25% per each per comp)

0%
0%

I've recently found my favorite not to be one verse, but all of Psalm 139. It's always struck a cord with me, and since I've been somewhat of a lone wolf, it's a good reminder that I'm not the lonest wolf.

This was the topic for the invitation last night at services. I've been struggling a lot and it was very helpful to have a reminder that I'm not alone and to lay my burdens down.

• Like 1

[progress=green][/progress]

I've recently found my favorite not to be one verse, but all of Psalm 139. It's always struck a cord with me, and since I've been somewhat of a lone wolf, it's a good reminder that I'm not the lonest wolf.

Same for me. :)

I also like the whole of Luke 12.

Happy, Healthy, Strong!
130 lbs

12%
12%

SW: 208
CW: 198
GW: 130

Current challenge:
http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/49868-juudar-slays-chickens/

Going to put my Woot on here since it applies.

I have always had a goal to read through the entire Bible, and started several times. After I started NF, I tried again only with a few adjustments. I aimed for doing it in 2 years. And even though I used something that had dates, I didn't pay attention to the dates. I just did the next reading. I was trying to make it a daily habit, but if I missed a day, it was ok, no guilt, the important thing was to keep moving (just like my other goals)Guess what today I finished my reading- I read the entire Bible!

I learned so much by doing this. It realy gave me a more complete picture of God's love for people, and how he continually works in our lives and draws us to him. I did get bogged down in the Old Testament, and a bit I admit confusion as to what was going on. But after finishing it. I  had a much better understanding of God's character.

If you have never read the entire Bible, I highly recommend it. It will open your eyes to God's magnificent story.

• Like 6

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I'm currently working on a plan to get through the NT in one year... but I'm not very good and doing it daily. I am getting better, and the better I do at it, the more I feel that I can even remotely understand the depths of God's love.

Good job Elastigirl!

That's so exciting, Elastigirl! Congratulations! :)

Thanks!

I'm currently working on a plan to get through the NT in one year... but I'm not very good and doing it daily. I am getting better, and the better I do at it, the more I feel that I can even remotely understand the depths of God's love.

Good job Elastigirl!

Thanks!  That is great that you are going through the NT

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I would love to hear a discussion on the meaning of salt in the Bible. That's something I haven't quite understood yet. (As in, we are told to be the salt of the earth... but I bet there are other references.)

I understand it to be seasoning and preservation... salt in the old times was used to flavor and preserve food... and it was vital... if they didn't have salt to preserve their meat it meant they had no meat...

• Like 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Currently, my DMG (disciple making groups - aka really small, small groups) is reading James. We try to get in at least 30 chapters a week of reading, which comes to about 5 chapters a day. And when reading a book like James, how we have it set up is that you read the book of James once a day since it is only 5 chapters. Our church is trying to focus on the making of disciples and in doing so, we have donned 3 disciplines: large quantities of the bible on a weekly basis, confessing all sin to one another in our DMG, and daily praying for unbelievers.

Level 0-Assassin

"A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity."

Proverbs 17:17

I'm an atheist myself, but this quote was given to me by one of the best friends I've ever had, just a couple months ago. This friend is also a very strong christian (isn't it odd how two people of  completely contrary belief systems can forge such a strong friendship?)

It was one of the last things he said to me. I may not see this friend again, but this quote will always remind me of one of the most steadfast, hardworking, loyal and downright intelligent people I've ever met.

• Like 4

SugarRay Lycan - Monk

Level 4 - STR : 5 | DEX : 8 | STA : 3 | CON : 5 | WIS : 8 | CHA : 1

Challenges: No. 1 - No.2 - No.3 - No.3: SugarRay's Comeback Match.