• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Steve

Steve the Assassin's Journey to Better Handstands

What's up suckas!  I figure I should join the Assassin Party.

I primarily do bodyweight training, though I was recently cleared by my doctor to start doing squats and deadlifts again (HUZZAH!), which will help tremendously with the weight gain stuff.  Beyond that, it'll be a lot of pull ups, handstands, ring push ups, dips, muscle up work, pistol squats, and mix in some bball and yoga.

These are my goals:

Put on 10 lbs of mostly healthy weight: As of this morning, I weigh 174 pounds. I’m hopeful that at the end of my 6 week challenge, I’m 10 pounds heavier, which I’ll be doing by following the eating advice laid out in the Rebel Strength Guide (mixing in some intermittent fasting to hopefully minimize fat gained) and a custom routine that mixes gymnastics and strength training. I know not all of this weight will be muscle, but I’m confident a majority of it will be.  I'll be determining my caloric intake required to aim for 1.5-2.5lbs gained per week and work towards that.

Increase my handstand balance time by 50%: I’ve been working on freestanding handstand balancing for a while now, and I’d like to increase my balance time by 50%.  I’ll record a video of my best attempt on Monday, and then will be working on developing this skill over the next six weeks.

Meditate 5 days a week, for 1 minute. Increasing by 1 minute each week.  This habit has been brutally difficult for me to build, so I’m going to keep it freaking simple.  First week, mediate for 1 minute each day. Second week, 2 minutes. Third week, 3 minutes. And so on.

Another goal: find a good yoga class here in Nashville. I've learned that I don't do yoga on my own, so I need to find a good place that teaches it close so I actually make myself do it.  I think I found a good place about a mile away, we shall see!

What will be challenging: I'll be traveling for the last two weeks of this challenge (headed up to the Pacific Northwest to speak at World Domination Summit!), so I might try to gain a bit extra weight in these first few weeks.  

Let's see how it goes!

-Steve

Whoah. Steve is doing a challenge.

Subbed!

I'll be joining you on the handstand goal. Though I do hope to do better that 50% improvement....as that would only get me to 2 seconds, LOL.

Hey Steve! Welcome to the assassin guild!  You may be my boss, but I want to make sure you subscribe to our announcement thread, it will allow you to get all the latest news about the different events that will happen in the Guild. Mini-challenges will be announced there for example, just keep in mind that they are not mandatory (I know you're busy :P)

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/29062-guild-information-and-announcements-subscribe/

Maybe you would also be interested in the "Meditation for life" PVP: 

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/29072-meditation-for-life/

MilythaelKibcy, Rymmares and Thehuntsman are also participating. If you want to share some meditation tips or some support, make sure to check their threads. 

Good luck with the handstand goal, I can do some short wall handstand but couldn't get myself to try some free handstands yet. Those are scary :x

Wooo.. Steve on our turf!

Good Luck on the handstands. I have no problem doing handstand push-ups on a wall but I cant do five seconds of a freestanding handstand.

^ This. I can't hold a free handstand for shit anymore

How awesome is that-we get to have our fearless leader on our guild. Looking forward to your handstand goal. I'm working on step one, doing a handstand on a wall.

So, you're living in Nashville now? Does that mean that the next  blog post  will be about how you overcame your fear of public singing and sang "I'm a Rhinestone Cowboy" at the Grand Ole Opry? :playful:

Heck yeah, Steve's an assassin! Nice goals - looking forward to seeing the handstand progress, since I've kind of stalled out on handstands at the moment. No stat points for you, though?

If I wasn't pumped for the challenge this time around, I think the fact that our Fearless Leader is part of my guild of choice would push me over the edge. Thanks for joining us, Steve - you're an inspiration and have been so helpful to so many of us, and I can't wait to see your progress over the next six weeks. Onward for the Rebellion!

We're the same starting weight!

My initial goal was 1 pound a week, but I'm too competitive to stand by while you gain 50% more weight.

Game on, Steve.

Hot damn, Steve's in with the assassins? Awesome.

Oh and I'm looking at this on my iPhone, and it's sooooooo much better than the old site looked on mobile. Well done.

-jj

I made you a reply.  But then the NF server monster eated it.   :tongue:

My original reply was roughly: "Stoked you're joining the Assassins for this challenge.  Also, I like the way you're doing your meditation goal.  I have an unofficial meditation goal and I find I always start out too grandiose (I will meditate for a half hour every day! Not.).  I think I'm going to give your method a try.  A minute?  I can do a minute.   :)"

Off to a good start!

Officially weighed in today on day 1 of challenge at 173, so that'll be the starting weight (not 174).

Walked over to the YMCA around 1pm, haven't eaten yet today (intermittent fasting!) - it's been probably 6 weeks since I last ate breakfast and I honestly don't miss it. the scale is moving up slower than before, but my bodyfat percentage is staying steady and i'm getting stronger, so no complaints there!

Today's Workout:

Dynamic Warm Up - jump rope, jumping jacks, push ups, leg swings, arm circles, neck circles, squats, lunges.

Then, worked on handstands. I kick up to the wall, then split my legs and hold myself in balance for as long as possible. i couldn't video it today, but I think it was somewhere around 20 seconds.  I'm going to aim for at least 30 seconds by end of this, but hopefully 40.

Next was squats!  I was cleared to do squats a few weeks back, and went the humbling route of starting with just the bar on day 1.  I'll never be lifting uber heavy or doing 1RM or even sets for 3 or 5 ever again most likely, but that's okay.  I'm doing sets of 10 and adding 5 pounds each week, and so far my lower back/core is holding up nicely!

SQUATS

10x45, 10x75, 4x10x110

Olympic Ring Pull Ups (first 3 reps with each set with false grip)

3x10

Planche and L-sit hold practice 

Still trying to figure out how to qualify this simply. I think i found a good routine of going from tucked planche hold to l-sit, then extending one leg at a time on the l-sit, then swing back to tuck planche.  I guess if that's one "rep" then I did 6 reps?

Wide Grip Pull Ups - 1 set of 10.

Weighted neutral grip pull ups - wearing chain with 25lb plate hanging

3 sets: 8, 7, 5

One hand handstand practice.  Kick up against wall, split legs, then try to hold position on one hand at a time for 10 seconds each hand.  Did 3 sets of these.

Shoulders and arms were pretty torched by the end of this, but felt good!

FOOD

So, my plan for food is to eat roughly 3500 calories in an 8 hour window, generally hoping to do that from 12-8pm every day. Unfortunately, more often than not i get delayed getting out of my place (like today), so today's window will be more like 3pm to 11pm.

My plan is to also eat more carbs on lifting days and more fat on non workout days.  Friday night through Sunday will be slightly more lax, as I"ll be at plenty of BBQs or enjoying Nashville's fabulous nightlife.

Because I need to eat so much food, and need a lot of carbs, i'll be eating some non-paleo things to get the calories up: specifically rice, oats, and whole milk.  I kind of mix up what it is for the day, be sweet potatoes, oats, or rice.

What's going to help the most?  

My patented calorie bomb post-workout shake:

• 2 cups of organic whole milk
  • 2 cups of quaker oats
  • 2 scoops of protein
  • Handful of organic frozen strawberries
  • Handful of organic frozen spinach

I try to drink this right after working out, along with eating 3-4 servings of raisins.  All combined, it comes out to around 1500-1700 calories.  Beyond that, a ton of chicken, broccoli, and rice.  I'm not thrilled with the oats, but I struggle to find another quick and easy solution to getting that many calories/carbs so quickly and easily. 

If it's a non workout day, I'll cut back on carbs elsewhere, while also swigging olive oil and mixing a giant scoop of coconut oil into the smoothie too.  Lots of nuts on non-workout days too.

I'm sure this will definitely take some balancing, but because we're at the beginning of the challenge, I'm going to err on the side of overeating, as I can scale back should I put on too much weight.

I did my minute of mediation this morning, and I found a yoga studio to try out for tomorrow!

1500 calories in your post-workout drink? I don't think I consumed that much all day.  It's sad you won't be able to do any heavy squats, but doing what you can and not giving up because something doesn't go your way is what it's all about!

Hi Steve, if you haven't done so already you might be interested in trying the Insight Meditation timer app.  There's a free version of the app for Android and I think other devices.  It's what I use for my zen practice. :)

I love the new look of the site and am so psyched about you joining us for this challenge (it's my second one).

Steve, I'm joining you in your handstand goal. (Although I'd bet I'm a liiiiittle further behind you. I'm looking to just get to 10-seconds in these six weeks.) Good luck to you!