Dr3wcifer trains in the Avatar State, yip yip!

dr3wcifer

Air bending= Cardio/endurance

Water bending= flexibility/agility

Earth bending= weightlifting/strength

Fire bending= nutrition/fat burning

The Avatar's Progress (Spreadsheet)

Book 0: Air

tumblr_m4vk7ivo4B1rtw7tro1_500.gif

Goal: Swim 1k < 25:00 (2:30/100m pace) [+3 STA]

"But Drew," you may ask, "Shouldn't swimming be a waterbending goal?" Nope! Swimming is a tough cardio endurance activity. And if you're in the pool and don't have air, you tend to drown. Doctors have informed me that's bad.

Starting ability: My last 1k swim time was 26:52. That was a month ago.
How will I achieve greatness? Get to the pool; it's freaking summer! Swim Tuesdays, Thursdays, & Saturdays. This was originally a run goal, but my knees need a break; my run goal will reappear in the sequel.

Grading: A: <25:00 B: 25:15-25:30 C: 25:30-26:00 D: 26:00-26:30 F: >26:30

Book 1: Water

tumblr_m85kn0eTst1rzinrro1_r2_500.gif

Goal: Stretch (static stretches, yoga, etc.) at least 4 hours a week [+3 DEX]
Starting ability: I do yoga maybe 20 minutes to half an hour in the evenings maybe 2 or 3 times a week. I haven’t really been very committed yet.
How will I achieve greatness? Attend a yoga class on weeks 1, 3, and 5 to get guidance from someone that knows better than I do; other than that, ½ hour at wake up, ½ hour in the evening 4 days a week.
Grading: Each hour of stretching is 4 points. Max points in a week is 20. Points accumulate over the 6 weeks. A: >90pts B: 80-89 pts C: 70-79 pts D: 60-69 pts F: <60 pts

Book 2: Earth

tumblr_m7p2i1dIOn1rylrudo1_250.gif

Goal: Do a muscle up [+3 STR, +1 CON]
Starting ability: I'm at 9 on both my deadhang pullups and dips. This was originally a clean & jerk goal, but my knees need a break. The clean & jerk goal will reappear in the sequel.
How will I achieve greatness? Pullups and dips in the morning Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays.
Grading: A: Muscle up achieved!    B: PUs & Dips > 15   C: 14-13
PUs & Dips    D: 12-11 PUs & Dips    F: PUs & Dips < 11

Book 3: Fire

tumblr_lpmnriANRj1qceiz6o1_500.gif

Goal:  Reduce body fat to <10% [+2 CON, +1 CHA]
Starting ability: Various calculators online gave me a median BF% of 13.3% based on measurements.
How will I achieve greatness? Diet & exercise, friends. Drink only water & lots of it, stick to low glycemic carbs, and I need to up the protein so I burn fat and not muscle.
Grading: A: BF<10%     B: 10%<BF<11%     C: 11%<BF<12%     D: 12<BF<13%     F: BF>13%

tumblr_mavjif6zEU1rrpsd7.gif

tumblr_mavjipQrj91rrpsd7.gif

Goal: Study for the GMAT at least 4 hours per week [+2 WIS]
Starting ability: Math's great, reading comprehension's good. Vocab & writing are the neediest areas.
How will I achieve greatness? Study an hour per night two nights during the week, and an hour a day on the weekends.
Grading: 4 points per hour of study. Max points per week is 20. A: >90pts B: 80-89 pts C: 70-79 pts D: 60-69 pts F: <60 pts

Currently training for:

• Brigade Combatives Tournament (late August)
  • Warrior Dash (early November)

I look forward to doing this 6-week challenge. I'll be in Disney World during week 6. That should make things fun & interesting. Don't expect too many barbells there.

-Drew

Level 1 Avatar

'That's all I've got. It's pretty much my whole identity. Dr3wcifer: the meat and sarcasm guy.'

The Avatar's current 6WC

Run 30min 4x/wk     |     Stretch 30min 4x/wk

So how do I delete a double post? I hate technology.

BUT I SWEAR I'M A NERD! PROOF:

-All terrain assault transport walker

-Prime directive

-Bruce Dickinson did not produce "Don't fear the reaper." The cow bell was mixed into the track after it was originally recorded.

-Einstein and Darwin both married their own cousins.

Level 1 Avatar

'That's all I've got. It's pretty much my whole identity. Dr3wcifer: the meat and sarcasm guy.'

The Avatar's current 6WC

So how do I delete a double post? I hate technology.

BUT I SWEAR I'M A NERD! PROOF:

-All terrain assault transport walker

-Prime directive

-Bruce Dickinson did not produce "Don't fear the reaper." The cow bell was mixed into the track after it was originally recorded.

-Einstein and Darwin both married their own cousins.

So, is this the good post?  This one has some excellent graphics, so I'll follow this one.

Welcome, nerd!

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Good, ambitious goals and cool graphics - Go, dr3cifer!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Yes, Tenaciousglee, this is the much transformed good post. It's ready just in time for kickoff.

and JoDo, you're right. So I scaled back the GMAT to 4 hours/wk. Should be more manageable.

I'll post progress as it comes. Good luck to everyone on their challenges!

Level 1 Avatar

The Avatar's current 6WC

Awww yeah  :victorious:  

Except my knees are worse than I thought. Doc says to take it easy on them. I have a physical therapy appointment tomorrow afternoon. Depending on what they say then, my running goal might become a swimming goal, and my clean & jerk goal might be replaced w/ a muscle-up goal. Stupid knees!  :torn:

Level 1 Avatar

The Avatar's current 6WC

My boys would love this!! They love pulling up Avatar episodes on Netflix and doing marathons on the weekends. I've even caught some of the scenes you are using in this post, very creative use of the elements in your goals!

Garrett - Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge | Accountibilibuddy Group: Military Nerds | PvP Challenge: Pull-ups
First Challenge

STR 6 | DEX 1 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 6 | CHA 6
“Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.â€

- Optimus Prime

Day 1 went well. That's more than 2% of the challenge complete! Rock.

Goal related activities:

• 1/2 hour of yoga this morning
  • 5 sets of 10 muscle ups & 10 dips after work (started out w/ deadhangs, resorted to kips as I approached muscle failure; had to break up the dips)
  • Measured body fat- I'm starting at 13.3% as of today. I'll measure again in 2 weeks. I don't stress about this.
  • Cracked the Kaplan MCAT study book and registered at MBA.com so I can find out when & where I can take the test so I can get a time frame for my studies. Almost done w/ chapter 1 of the book.

Plan for tomorrow:

• In the morning, swim 5 sets of 200m, 1 minute rest between sets
  • In the evening, register for the Kaplan online tools that supplement the book. Finish chapters 1 & 2.
  • Schedule for a yoga class on Saturday. Do yoga in the morning and evening to make up for not yogaing tonight. I'm le tired.

As an accountant and an officer, I love a good spreadsheet. Therefore, I started this TRACKER to record my progress. Goodnight, nerds!

Level 1 Avatar

The Avatar's current 6WC

Yeow!

Loving the swim replaced with the run,  all the impact on your muscles and none on the joints!

Spreadsheet's a great idea, will be checkin up!

Bikram yoga would be a good way to spend some extra calories if the bf% is being stubborn. Around my area Bikram generally has the best looking women of all the yoga classes... with the least amount of clothing jus' sayin'

Power to you my friend x

"In the fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud

Under the bludgeonings of chance, my head is bloody but unbowed"

Let's be friends!

Music :)

Some great blogs I think you'll love!

• [*]
The art of manliness[*]The art of non-conformity[*]The good life project

Day 2 went well, too.

Link to my tracker is on the original topic post, and my signature now.

Goal related activites for day 2:

• Air: Swam my 200m intervals as planned, 1 minute rest between sets. Completed them all in about 28:15. Subtract the four minutes of rest and the pace I had would accomplish my goal. After the intervals, I did three rounds of 100m one-armed swim (50m left, 50m right), 20 pushups, and 40 supine bicycles.
  • Water: 1/2 hour of yoga in the morning, stretched out after the swim and during the workday, then 15 minutes of yoga & 15 minutes of wife-assisted stretching this evening.
  • Earth: Not today. Did a handful of chinups & pullups for shits & giggles. Tomorrow...
  • Fire: Didgreattodaymovealongnothingtoseehere. So I kind of ate an entire small low-glycemic vegetarian pizza for dinner...I guess too much of a semi-healthy thing isn't too healthy. Other than that, no problems.
  • AVATAR STATE:  1/2 hour of GMAT studying done. Registered the online companion features to my study book.

Plan for tomorrow:

• Air: Breathe? It's not a cardio day. I might do a little jump rope or Jacob's Ladder.
  • Water: Stick to my 1/2 hour in the morning & 1/2 hour in the evening plan
  • Earth: 20 minutes AMRAP: 10 Bench press (135lbs), 10 L-hang pull ups...that should be fun.
  • Fire: Moar proteins!
  • AVATAR STATE: figure out when I'm going to take this damn thing. I'm thinking November.

Well I gotta keep it goin' keep it goin' full steam!

Level 1 Avatar

The Avatar's current 6WC

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines