Rhea Recruited Me

doc.chelle

My Goals:

Level Up!

-Read 1 hour per day (>5 days/week)- I already read before bed but not for very long.  when I plan my day I will start scheduling in time to read and learn.

Diet & Fitness!

-Eat 120g protein in 1200 cal (6 d/w)- No cheating on food choices on the "cheat" day, but a day of sanity.  I will do this by meal planning before grocery shopping and prepping meals ahead of time.  I want to set myself up for: the most convenient thing to eat is what I need to eat to reach my macro goals.  I will also record and weigh everything I eat.

-Go from 3 rounds of 1/4 miles sprints to 6 rounds at <1:45 pace- I will sprint twice a week.  Every 2d or 3d workout, I will add one more round to the workout.  If I get to 6 evolutions at the desired pace before the 6 weeks is over, I will begin decreasing my rest periods between evolutions.

-20 consecutive proper form push ups (currrently doing 5x5, increase to 5x6 or 6x5 and so forth, etc.  Push 3-4 times a week and check max set at 3 and 6 week mark).  I can do 48 pushups like the top photo-- elbows flared out.  I want to eventually do 50+ like the bottom photo.

pushup.jpgpush-up1.jpg

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  Anais Nin 

26yo Female Ranger.  First Challenge titled Rhea Recruited Me because she did.

Great goals! 

So what are you reading? 

Love the drawings.  That should be very do-able for you.  But I think the head position is better in the top drawing.  Do boots make it easier or hard?  :playful:

I am reading Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen.  I want to be better read in the classics.  I have two friends compiling a book list for me, so I am not sure what is next.  

When I picked the photos I was looking mostly at the arm position.  I want to fully engage my pecs and avoid shoulder injury.  Though, I have done pushups in boots, running shoes, and barefoot shoes and have never really noticed a huge difference.

I pre-cooked three days worth of lunches and I will cook again on Wednesday.  I like fresh breakfast and dinner.  

Here's the plan to get my protein for the next 6 days.  

Screenshot2013-06-01at91624PM_zps583f9ec

The extra 336 calories and missing 5 grams of protein will be from vegetables (and the occasional fruit).

I'm not watching my fat or carbs right now, but perhaps in a future challenge I will include them!

I drink water and black coffee, so I don't have to worry about liquid calories. 

When I don't have a ripe avocado, I spread coconut oil on my toast for healthy fats and delicious flavor.

I'm allergic to cow-dairy, so that's why I chose the Goatein Powder which is my post-work out drink.

I will take Sundays to eat and not count-- for sanity reasons.  Not a "cheat" and eat sugar day, but a day of no measurements and eating what sounds good... like bacon, a Larabar, and a beer.

What do you think?

Solid goals. :tennis:

Also, just to clearify... is your push up goal to be able to do a set of 50 consecutive push-ups? Or broken into sets? And I'm wondering the same about your starting point haha. 48 broken into multiple sets or consecutive?

And I commend your calorie counting... I simply can't do that, it just bores me to death, and I would stop doing it like 1 or 2 days in if I tried lol. So good on ya.

LV 3 - Lawful Good - Spartan - Ranger Current Challenge: One Momentous Word

Previous Challenge: #1 #2 #3

Battle Log - Epic Quest: To become a Spartan

Current Attributes:

STR - 6.75   DEX - 8   STA - 7

CON - 6   WIS - 9   CHA - 7

Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.

Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying, get the hell out of my way, I've got things to do.

Its not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not.

Solid goals. :tennis:

Also, just to clearify... is your push up goal to be able to do a set of 50 consecutive push-ups? Or broken into sets? And I'm wondering the same about your starting point haha. 48 broken into multiple sets or consecutive?

And I commend your calorie counting... I simply can't do that, it just bores me to death, and I would stop doing it like 1 or 2 days in if I tried lol. So good on ya.

will eventually do 50+ consecutive push ups (this is probably a 12 week goal).  My goal by the end of this 6 weeks is a single set of 20+.  Right now I do between 100-150 pushups broken into sets of 5-8 per training day.  For some reason, dropping my elbows down to roughly 45* (as opposed to 90*) is very hard for me; weak pecs I suppose.  

Calorie counting... I'm hoping that planning ahead, pre-cooking, and eating good food will help.  I've tried all sorts of ways to get my macros under control and it lasts a few weeks before I get frustrated or bored and stop caring.  Yesterday went well and today is on track for another great day of success. Here was my final count

Screenshot2013-06-04at35034PM_zps7bb4cfd

The best part was how hungry I wasn't.  I had dessert planned for that extra 150 calories, but just didn't want it!

So far this week:

Monday a.m.

-Dead lift regimen (2x5@ 80lbs; 1x3@125 lbs; 1x2@175 lbs; 3 missed pulls at 205 lbs)  Last week I got 195 for 5 reps, so I thought 205 was doable.  Not my day I guess.  I'm so damn close to my first 1.5 BW DL and I want it so bad!

-4 max sets of pull ups (6, 5, 4, 4-last set was neutral grip)

-Flexed arm hang knee tuck (neutral grip, I did these as part of my last pull up)

-went to the gym with a friend in the evening and did max effort (for 60 sec each) mountain climbers (hands on one of those balls people throw at the wall), BW squats, jump rope, glute bridges, pull ups x2 for everything.

Tuesday

-3 sets of 1/4 mile sprints (1.45; 1.47; 1.53) Rest 3.30 between sets

-2 sets of push ups (10, 15)

-attempted pull ups, got 2 and decided they needed to rest

-3 sets of sit ups (40, 30, 20- lest set was wide leg)

this day was difficult because I did all my calisthenics during my rest periods which I haven't done in the past.  It made a huge difference in how quickly I didn't recover in 3.30.  I can usually get all three sprints in under 1.45.

Wednesday

-3 sets of push ups (13, 15, 11)

-Yoga for 1.5 hours - it was my husbands first time at yoga and he loved it!  He decided to go as part of his Becoming a Druid challenge. 

Tomorrow I sprint and work on pull ups and sit ups - hopefully it feels better the day after yoga as opposed to following a failed DL day.

Friday I squat heavy and do push ups.  I love this workout- I do sets of push ups in between by my squat sets (8 sets including the warm up sets).  It doesn't take long, but it destroys my whole body very quickly and efficiently. 

My workouts are tailored around things I love and things I have to do.  I'm in the Navy and have to to Physical Fitness Test every 6 months which includes a 1.5 miles run, max effort push ups in 2 min, and max effort sit ups in 2 min.  Pull ups, DL, and squats are things I love.  Working out with girlfriends [who need extra motivation] is also something I love, so even if I've already gone to the gym, if they call, I will typically go with them and help keep them on track.

~Eating good and lifting heavy!

...your miles confuse me you silly americans and your imperial system lol. I was like "...how far is a 1/4mile...*googles it*...ooooh ok that makes sense now". Those are some pretty solid times back to back like that, especially doing calisthenics like you said, and not JUST resting. I love mixing those kind of activities up like that, it really stresses your body the first few times, but man once you do it a few times I find it boosts your endurance a lot.

Sounds like you're at a pretty good starting point for your challenge, I can definately see you doing well. I also hope I love the DL as much as you seem to. I'm quite excited, I've never REALLY done them, but I'm starting them today. But keep at it, I'm sure you're going to do well this challenge. :rapture:

Current Attributes:

Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.

Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying, get the hell out of my way, I've got things to do.

Those are some pretty solid times back to back like that, especially doing calisthenics like you said, and not JUST resting. I love mixing those kind of activities up like that, it really stresses your body the first few times, but man once you do it a few times I find it boosts your endurance a lot.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I was thinking, "this is way too hard," but maybe i'll stick with it and beat my body into submission; hold it together when i want to fall apart :encouragement:  

Ok.  Sprints on Thursday felt so terrible, but when my times came back, they weren't as bad as they felt.

Thursday

-singel set 50 sit ups

-3 sets of 1/4 mile sprints (1.49; 1.44; 1.49) Rest 3.30 between sets

-a second single set of 40 sit ups

-attempted pull ups - 3.  Damn, I just can't do pull ups after running.  I'll have to do pull ups prior to sprints in the future.

Friday - Squats!! with Push-ups during the rest period.

Left column is weights for reps on squats and right column is the number of push ups following that set of squats.

-Bar (45 lbs), 2x10        7

-95 lbs x 5                     8

-115 x 5                        8

-135 x 5                        8

-140 x 5                        8

-140 x 5                        8

-115 x 7                        8

-95 x 9                          12

-Single set max effort handstand push ups (7) and pull ups (5).

I had a friend do loaded squats with me today-- her first time ever.  She had great form and responded really well to external coaching cues when she'd start to get tired and loose form.  She hung with me on number of sets and reps (just different weights) and even did push ups during her rests.  Champ!  I think I like watching other people succeed as much as I love reaching my own goals!

Ah, yea, I definately would recommend doing the pull ups before the sprints... I've made that mistake before too, and my numbers suffered a lot. Probably has something to do with all of your blood being in your legs then trying to do a rather difficult upper body exercise. Never done any research... just my hypothesis based on common sense... and gravity. It seems like it would be easier for your body to divert the majority of your blood from upperbody to lowerbody at short notice than vice versa, but hey I could be totally wrong. :rapture:

Sounds like you enjoyed your workout today though, I like working out with a friend when I can too. Feels more productive and fun. Keep up the good work!

Current Attributes:

Book Three Cups of Tea, done!  Reading is on track for the week and I am thoroughly enjoying it!  Now, I think I will read Donal Grant by George MacDonald.

Sir Gibbie is my favorite G. MacDonald book so far and Sir Gibbie is also my favorite book character I have yet to meet.  Donal Grant is a character in Sir Gibbie and is almost a sequel but can apparently be read stand alone.   

this morning I ran doomsday hill for the first time.  I ran the steepest portion from the bottom parking lot to the top parking lot (somewhere between .4 and .5 miles) in 4:03.  I will run this again. Beautiful view of the Spokane river.  It's part of a longer race that I have yet to do.  You can see the stats on this map at the 4.5-5.0 mile mark

.Wn8YVDB.jpg

This was way more enjoyable to me than 1/4 miles sprints on an indoor track.  I just had to get up at 6am to beat the heat and the sun.  Good early morning cool air lung burn!

Mondays day of pulling things went great!  The gym was packed so I had to wait for a dead lift platform.  I did a single set of 7 pull ups and then was able to get a platform.  

1x9 @ 85 lb

1x3 @ 120 

1x2 @ 175 

I was trying for 5 reps @ 200 lb, but I only got 3 (1.4 x BW).  I dropped down to 195 to finish, but couldn't get that more than a few inches off the ground, so I called it a good day!

Then more pull ups-- 6, 5, 4, 5 (last set was neutral grip.  I stayed at the top in a flexed arm hang on my last rep and did 8 knee tucks).  My back muscles have a very pleasant soreness to them today.

I forgot to post my week end calorie and protein intake.  My 6 day goal was 7200 calories and 720 g protein.  I was over on some days and under on others days, but here's how it came out.

Calories-- Goal 7200.  Actual 7097.

Protein-- Goal 720.  Actual 765.

I took Friday off last week.  This week I took monday off because I had lunch with a friend and had a bunch of people over for dinner the same evening.  So, the rest of this week I have no of days.  I'm going to do the same thing pretty much except I got flounder instead of pollock.  4 oz is 25 g protein for 160 calories.  The pollock was 19 g protein for 90 calories.  That's less protein per calorie, but I don't think it'll be an issue after looking at last weeks outcome.  

Considering how much of a pain counting calories and all that is... I'd say you did pretty damn good getting so close to your target.

Sounds like you're doing pretty well in all respects :rapture: keep it up!

Current Attributes:

Pretty solid food fail yesterday. :hopelessness:  I went 250 calories over... I just couldn't say no to fresh baked bread!! haha.   The good thing is that I was 20 g protein over also.  Today and tomorrow I cut out what I overate yesterday.  Today I'm doing yoga, so I don't mind if my protein intake is low.  But tomorrow I do squats and will want all my protein.  

No more refined crap!

NO EXCUSES!  If I would have been better prepared and planned more, then I would be able to tell you what I ate the last three days... hahaha.

I have already made my lunch, snack, and planned dinner for tomorrow.  The hard part is that I have to workout at work, and then I can't eat breakfast-- only a shake.  So... I put 1/2 cup egg whites in my protein shake to make it extra protein.  Turkey burger for lunch and some chicken sausage spaghetti sauce (homemade).  That puts me at 120 g protein at just over 1,000 calories.  So, I can have a sweet snack like a Larabar or a banana!!  mm mmm.

Tuesday I'll eat eggs and egg whites for bfast, a turkey burger for lunch, checken breast for dinner, and a shake: 119 g protein in about 1,000 calories.

Wednesday... I haven't gotten that far.  I will have to workout at work again, so bfast and lunch will probably be the same.  I will just have to think through what's for dinner.

Fish gets old quickly.... so no fish for me this coming week or I might gag.  But, after a week or so off of it, I know I can eat it again.

Yesterday's workout was picked by my boss.  

400 meter run

21 kettlebell swings (35lb)

12 pullups

Repeat x 3.  For time.

After the 2nd set of pullups, I had to do jumping pullups.  I was doing them in sets of 2-4 ish.  If I have to do this many pull ups for time ever again, I think I will learn the kipping style.

Jumping pull-ups or not, you still got through them, so you're that much closer to not needing to jump or kip :tears_of_joy:

Current Attributes:

Dead lift today.... I could not lift more than 190 and only got a few reps.  (I am SO sore from all the KB Swings.)  I dropped down to 135 and did 6 reps.  Pull ups afterward, as always.  7, 4, 3, 2 and then 5, and 2 chin ups.  I did these on a straight bar (I typically use one with slightly rotated grip), so I was excited to get more than 5!

Deck of Cards.

Someone else picked the workout, I just went along.  We had a group of about 10 people.  We took turns picking an exercise and then flipping the top card over.  A=11, Face Card=10, Joker= 400 meter run (2 Jokers in the deck).  We went through the whole deck doing crunches, tuck jumps, squats, scissor kicks, push ups, dive bombers, burpees, pull ups, lunges, flutter kicks, bicycles, planks, side dip planks, hand stand push ups, hand release push ups, diamond push ups, etc.  It was fun and made me sweat a lot!

I got 6 pull ups towards the end.   :rolleyes-new:

i did the grossest and probably scariest thing imaginable yesterday!  I killed a spider (a big one) with my bare hand.... it was crawling down the face on my car stereo and I was driving 65 mph... i had no choice....  **shiver** GROSS!!!! **gag**

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines