tenaciousglee vs the sand sculpture

I'm planning to continue sculpting my bodacious beach bod this challenge using sandbags, but I can't decide if I want to go for the buff "King of the Sea" look:

642508598_tp.jpg

Or a more streamlined surfer look:

sand-sculptures-28.jpg

This is really just a placeholder.  I'll get my goals typed up this weekend in time to kick off on Monday!

• Like 1

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Goal 1: Gain 6 pounds (+2 CON, +1 CHA, +1 STR)

I've tried bulking in the past without much success, so I'm going to take it nice and slow this time, aiming for 1 pound a week. I'll be following the IIFYM diet and used the macro calculator from IIFYM.com to come up with my numbers. My goals will be 2700 cals/day and 160 g protein/day. I'm also going to be focusing on strength training following the beginner program from the Complete Guide to Sandbag Fitness. That was one of my mistakes with the last bulk. I wasn't doing exercises with a focus on muscle building, so my weight gain was mostly fat.

Goal 2: Sleep 7 hours a night at least 4 nights a week (+3 CON)

I know that sleep is important to build muscle, so this goal ties in to my first one. I also need adequate sleep to function during the day. I'd love to wean myself off soda. I workout at 5:30 in the morning, so I will try to get to bed by 10 or 10:30 every night before a workout. I know a few times during the challenge I'll have band practice that will keep me out past 10, so that's why my goal is 4 nights a week instead of 5. I may also average in power naps at lunch if I really need them!

Goal 3: Become bulletproof (+3 DEX)

I'd like to improve my posture and haven't found any good ways to turn "stand up straighter" into a SMART goal. Barefoot_Trader suggested following the reset exercises in Becoming Bulletproof to help improve my posture, so my goal is to complete the reset exercises 3 times a day for the next 6 weeks. Goal achievement will be based on the number of days I complete the exercises, though I'm still not sure how to measure "better" posture...

Goal 4: Complete at least half the items on my honey-do list (+3 WIS, +2 CHA)

I've had these things hanging over my head for too long. Here's the list, though I may add to it as I consult with the Mrs.

1. Schedule an energy efficiency check for our house. (The power company will reimburse us if we use one of their contractors.)

2. Get our windows replaced

3. Get our roof reshingled

4. Replace the toilet in our guest bathroom and replace some of the flooring around the toilet

5. Replace the light/fan switches in our guest room.

6. Powerwash the house/deck

7. Fix the storm door at the front door

8. Help repaint the kitchen

I'll be very satisfied I can get 4 of those things done in the next 6 weeks. Several of them will require me to call contractors and get prices, which is sometimes harder for me than actually rolling up my sleeves and doing the work myself.

I'll come back and add in my attribute points and starting measurements soon!

• Like 1

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Great sounding goals. I'll be following you! Especially your sleep goal. So important...

I'm sure your wife will be so happy you are knocking out some of your "honey dos". I know I'm happy when my hubby tackles his!!

I know you have had doubts about paleo in the past. I've never been able to get past a couple days. Have you tried it??

• Like 1

Level 2 Ranger

STR 5.5/DEX 0/STA 1/CON 6/WIS 7/CHA 6

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everybody would do it.

In order to get something you never had, you have to do something you've never done.

If you are tired of starting over, stop giving up!

Current Challenge:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/37240-the-turbo-tortoise-project-continues/

Great sounding goals. I'll be following you! Especially your sleep goal. So important...

I'm sure your wife will be so happy you are knocking out some of your "honey dos". I know I'm happy when my hubby tackles his!!

I know you have had doubts about paleo in the past. I've never been able to get past a couple days. Have you tried it??

I've never really given paleo a fair try.  For one, Steve preaches it as a great way to lose weight and that has typically been the opposite of what I'm trying to do.  However, last challenge I was trying to get lean to have a better base from which to start bulking again.  I wasn't having much luck using IIFYM, so I tried to go high-fat, low-carb (about 100 g/day) but I only lasted a couple of days.  I love hearing how people start feeling better and I've read about the evils of grains and such, but I just don't totally buy it.  I also have a hard time envisioning cavemen eating avocados and drinking tequila and such.  Also, they ate bread in the Bible, so it can't be all bad...

Thanks for the links about resets. I may give those a try as well! I'm looking forward to following along with your sandbag adventures again. Did you ever get a chance to look through Anthony Mychal's bulking info?

Hey Lex! Yes, I did look at Anthony Mychal's blog.  That's where I got the idea about starting from a lean base (mentioned above).  I didn't get my waist down as far as I had hoped last challenge, but the idea of dropping to below 150 pounds to get there was too much for me.  I'm going to try and put some meat (and muscle) on my bones for the next few challenges and see where that leads me.

And the sandbag adventures should be just that!  I get the impression that Matt is a crossfitter at heart.  His program builds on the DL-squat-push-press method that I followed in the Rebel Strength Guide, but it also seems to have a WoD feel to it, too.  He alternates between strength days and conditioning days and there's not a lot of repetition for the first few weeks.

Week 1, Day 1 - Sandbag Strength

Deadlift - 5x5x100#

Back Squat - 5x5x100#

Pull-ups - 10,5,5

Round The World - 3x10x20# each direction

Didn't get to bed until 10:30 last night and got up at 5 this morning, so only 6.5 hours of sleep so far.  I was glad I got up before 5:30, though, because the workout took a full hour with warm up and cool down.

Update: 20 minute power nap at lunch does a body good!

lol... they do eat bread in the bible! I think I need to add that to the list of "reasons I love bread and will continue to eat it". They drink WINE too...score!

Good job with the work out and the power nap. <3 them. Get sleepin!! I hear that is really important for muscle building.

Level 2 Ranger

STR 5.5/DEX 0/STA 1/CON 6/WIS 7/CHA 6

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everybody would do it.

In order to get something you never had, you have to do something you've never done.

If you are tired of starting over, stop giving up!

Current Challenge:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/37240-the-turbo-tortoise-project-continues/

lol... they do eat bread in the bible! I think I need to add that to the list of "reasons I love bread and will continue to eat it". They drink WINE too...score!

Good job with the work out and the power nap. <3 them. Get sleepin!! I hear that is really important for muscle building.

Saw this article dissing Paleo on Twitter yesterday.  The article takes a swipe at Mark's Daily Apple, but Vic and Steve still say "meat veg fruits nuts seeds nothing else" works.  Which it does, no argument.  But I won't be getting rid of the bread (or wine) anytime soon...

Day one wrap-up

Hit 2780 (net) cals with 179 g protein.

Did the bulletproof reset exercises during my workout warmup, after dinner with the kids, and then a little before bed.

Got to bed at 10:30 again and up at 5:15 this morning, so 6 hours, 45 minutes...

Week 1, Day 2 - Sandbag Conditioning

800m run in 3:27

30 SB Cleans with 30# bag in 1:56

800m run in 4:27

total time 9:50

I was sweating much more after this 10 minute workout than after my hour long lifting session on Monday! Not kidding about the conditioning.

I need to figure out how to do my daily write-ups. I like posting in the morning, but I obviously haven't finished my calories for the day. It would also be weird to do Tuesday's write-up on Wednesday morning after I've already done Wednesday's workout. Ah, details. Maybe I'll start the write-up in the morning and append it at night.

Appendix:

Got another 20 minute power nap at lunch

2750 cals, 156 g protein

Couple of goal re-assessments:

Goal 3: Become Bulletproof

After finishing the whole BBP book, I have determined I don't need to do the reset exercises 3 times a day.  The authors recommend using it as part of your warm-up and cool-down on training days.  On non-training days, they recommend playing around with the moves like slowing them down or doing them backwards.  So, I'm updating this goal to: Incorporate BBP reset moves into warm-up/cool-down on training days and spend 10 minutes a day "playing" with them on non-training days.

Goal 4: The Honey-Do Half

After consulting with my wife, I'm adding 2 items to the list and will aim for completing 5 of the 10.

9. Finish weeding flower beds in the back yard and spread mulch

10. "Redo" the guest bathroom (replace mirror, wallpaper off, paint walls)

Week 1, Day 3 - Run

Got to bed by 10 last night and got up at 5 for my run. (7 hours, yay!)

Was warmed up and out the door by 5:20 for a 40 minute run where

I

climbed

to the top

of

Mt. Trashmore!

That's right, Mt. Trashmore.  A landfill that got turned into a park.  Stay classy, Virginia Beach!

The vertical rise is a whopping 60 feet!

My total run was 4.04 miles in 40 minutes, 9:54 pace.

Goal 4: The Honey-Do Half

After consulting with my wife, I'm adding 2 items to the list and will aim for completing 5 of the 10.

9. Finish weeding flower beds in the back yard and spread mulch

10. "Redo" the guest bathroom (replace mirror, wallpaper off, paint walls)

Scope creep!  

Week 1, Day 3 - Run

I

climbed

to the top

of

Mt. Trashmore!

That's right, Mt. Trashmore.  A landfill that got turned into a park.  Stay classy, Virginia Beach!

Wow.. it really is called Mount Trashmore.  Love it and horrified at the same time :)

Random question, but does your wife participate in a Facebook group where a lot of people use BeachBody products?  I belong to one noticed one of the ladies said she was going to Jamaica the same time frame you were.  Just thought it was a strange coincidence!

(______ <\-/> ______)     Faille | Level 3 Elf Ranger/Druid

/_.-=-.\| " |/.-=-._\     [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx78%--]
    /_   \(o_o)/    _\      STR 4.75 | DEX 7.75 | STA 8.75 | CON 11.5 | WIS 15.25 | CHA 8.75
     /_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
Current Challenge | #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6
        /((( )))\           My Battle Log
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

Whole 30 Progress - Complete!!  1/5/2015 - 2/3/2015 -  Meal Plan

Comic Con Countdown - Goal 155 lbs, 7 to go
0%
0%

Week 1, Day 3 - Run

I

climbed

to the top

of

Mt. Trashmore!

Yeah, I tried doing "hill sprints" on that once. Got halfway to the top on the first one and went "NOPE". (Coastal) Virginia is terrible for conditioning us to run hills. They always kill me in the adventure races. I was thinking during my run today though, that squishy stuff the serves as the ground for the play park would probably work great for practicing beginner parkour.

Lvl. 2 Ranger Assassin Shapeshifter

STR - 3 | DEX - 3 | STA - 7 | CON - 4 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 4

Current Challenge: Breaking Chains

(Really) Old Challenges 1 | 2 | 3

Scope creep!  

Hee hee! True, but I did create the original list without consulting the client...

And no, my wife is not a fitness junkie like me.  But she does tolerate my obsessions!

Yeah, I tried doing "hill sprints" on that once. Got halfway to the top on the first one and went "NOPE". (Coastal) Virginia is terrible for conditioning us to run hills. They always kill me in the adventure races. I was thinking during my run today though, that squishy stuff the serves as the ground for the play park would probably work great for practicing beginner parkour.

Clicked through to Mount Trashmore. It looks beautiful! Hope it was a nice run. :)

It really is a cool park and the kids area is phenomenal.  The rubberized ground would be good for parkour practice, basscrack.  As long as the stares from the parents don't bother you...

It really is a cool park and the kids area is phenomenal.  The rubberized ground would be good for parkour practice, basscrack.  As long as the stares from the parents don't bother you...

I totally do mind, but I'm working on that.

Lvl. 2 Ranger Assassin Shapeshifter

STR - 3 | DEX - 3 | STA - 7 | CON - 4 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 4

Current Challenge: Breaking Chains

(Really) Old Challenges 1 | 2 | 3

Day one wrap-up

Hit 2780 (net) cals with 179 g protein.

Did the bulletproof reset exercises during my workout warmup, after dinner with the kids, and then a little before bed.

Got to bed at 10:30 again and up at 5:15 this morning, so 6 hours, 45 minutes...

Week 1, Day 2 - Sandbag Conditioning

800m run in 3:27

30 SB Cleans with 30# bag in 1:56

800m run in 4:27

total time 9:50

I was sweating much more after this 10 minute workout than after my hour long lifting session on Monday! Not kidding about the conditioning.

I need to figure out how to do my daily write-ups. I like posting in the morning, but I obviously haven't finished my calories for the day. It would also be weird to do Tuesday's write-up on Wednesday morning after I've already done Wednesday's workout. Ah, details. Maybe I'll start the write-up in the morning and append it at night.

Appendix:

Got another 20 minute power nap at lunch

2750 cals, 156 g protein

Those 800 meter runs are with how heavy of a sandbag?  Are you running with it on your shoulder?

Interesting challenge.  I'm subbing to see how it goes.

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

Those 800 meter runs are with how heavy of a sandbag?  Are you running with it on your shoulder?

Interesting challenge.  I'm subbing to see how it goes.

My runs were unweighted but you did make me go back and check the book to see if I missed an important instruction.  The author does say sandbags are good for conditioning hikes/runs, but I'm just doing the beginner program, so he may add that in later on.

Hit 2745 net calories yesterday with 168 g protein.

Got into bed at 10 last night and then checked the boards on my phone for 20 minutes (d'oh).  Got up tired at 5:15.  I wouldn't say I power napped at lunch, but I did close my eyes for 5 minutes and probably could have zonked out.  I'm starting to think I need more than the 7 hours I'm shooting for.  I have been exhausted the last few days, but I have to get up by 5:15 to get my workouts in before the kids wake up and I don't know if I can get in bed before 10.  There are some day when I just pass out at 9:30, fully clothed.  My wife calls that my 'pumpkin time' - when Cinderella's magic wears off and her carriage turns back into a pumpkin.

Anyway, on to the workout.

Week 1, Day 4 - Strength

Front Squat - 5x5x60#

Clean - 5x5x60#

Overhead Press - 5x5x60#

This was my first time doing front squat and cleans for 5x5, so I kept the weight somewhat moderate with plans of bumping it up each set if it was too easy.  As you can see, there was no bumping up.  Maybe a little heavier next time.

I'm at 2750 net cals for the day with 164 g protein, but I may go split a bag of popcorn with my wife and watch some Big Bang Theory.

My runs were unweighted but you did make me go back and check the book to see if I missed an important instruction. The author does say sandbags are good for conditioning hikes/runs, but I'm just doing the beginner program, so he may add that in later on.

Ah cool. That makes sense. I was going to be very impressed with those times carrying a bag.

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

Week 1, Day 5 - Conditioning

25 Bench Jumps (18" bench)

25 Sumo High Pulls (30# sandbag)

25 Push Press (30# sandbag)

3 rounds

total time 14:11

I was/will be virtually joined by cambosmash as part of Mini-Challenge #1.

I am hopefully going to get some measurements taken this weekend since I still haven't done that to mark the beginning of the challenge.  I may even post some pics in honor of a special anniversary.

I thought I had it in the bag after my 3:30 round 1, but I failed big time on box jumps round 2.

Push press - 75 pounds

Sumo high pull - 75 pounds

Box jump - 24"

14:02. Good battle. I thought you had me when I was struggling through the 3 round of push presses. Competing against someone who isn't even there is like a double mind punch! I like it.

Level 1 Ranger

STR-3 DEX-2 STA-2 CON-2 WIS-2 CHA-5

Go Stats Nerd Go! Challenge 1!

Sandbag workouts!  I like it.  Do you workout at home?  Good work with the 5x5 lifts, too.

I'm with you on the paleo thing.  I tried it for awhile, and just didn't have the same revelatory experience that everyone else seems to have.  I still try to lean towards more protein/fat and fewer carbs, but you will have to pry bread from my cold, dead hands.

"Did you go to the gym when you were alive?"
"I died in 1938. For exercise, we drank sloe gin and smoked Lucky Strikes."
- Dead Like Me

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines