Realised something. Engineering anyone?

Currently finishing up my AAS focusing in Insturmentation and Controls. Very heavily considering pursuing an engineering degree within the next few years. Especially if the company I work for is willing to help pay for it. :tongue: I would of course go for Electrical Engineering although Aerospace Engineering looks quite enticing. Dreams of working for SpaceX come to mind. Although I can go work for them right now if they'd take me as an I&C Technician. 

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

Arrggg all this talk of PE and further qualifications/licencing sounds like another nail in the lid of my engineering coffin.  I worked as an Aeronautical Engineer in Australia for 8 years before going on maternity leave, I was all prepared to go back but then moved to the US and became a stay at home mum (so do I qualify for the domestic engineer title now?).  I've always questioned whether or not I'd be able to get back into the field over here once the kids were a bit older but I'd forgotten about licencing etc....

Level 6, Ranger

Challenge I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X Current Challenge

My Sewing Blog

Arrggg all this talk of PE and further qualifications/licencing sounds like another nail in the lid of my engineering coffin.  I worked as an Aeronautical Engineer in Australia for 8 years before going on maternity leave, I was all prepared to go back but then moved to the US and became a stay at home mum (so do I qualify for the domestic engineer title now?).  I've always questioned whether or not I'd be able to get back into the field over here once the kids were a bit older but I'd forgotten about licencing etc....

Well, from what I read above you really only need to be licensed if you work in the construction field (which kind of scares me regarding US built airplanes, but that's neither here nor there).  I don't think you need to give up just yet.

Disclaimer: I'm Canadian and really don't know how it all works in America. 

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

Don't need it here for almost anything. If you do need it, it wouldn't be for a job you'd do just coming back after a long term off.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Well, from what I read above you really only need to be licensed if you work in the construction field (which kind of scares me regarding US built airplanes, but that's neither here nor there).  I don't think you need to give up just yet.

Disclaimer: I'm Canadian and really don't know how it all works in America.

There isn't a need for a liscense in most branches simply because you'd never have an engineer be individually liable.

Boeing the company would be liable for engineering failures of their aircraft, not the individual engineers.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

So, here is something interesting - I'm on the council for my territorial association and here is the National Definition of the Practice of Professional Engineering:

The "practice of professional engineering" means any act of planning, designing, composing, evaluating, advising, reporting, directing or supervising that requires the application of engineering principles and that concerns the safeguarding of life, health, property, economic interests, the public welfare or the environment, or the managing of any such act.

Just thought I'd put that up.  Applies only to Canada though (to the best of my knowledge).  I'm sure there is something similar for the states though.  This is from our national association - engineering is also defined at the provincial/territorial level.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

Just signed up for the forum but am also an engineer.  Got my BS in Chemical Engineering in 2002 and have worked since then in the petrochemical industry.  I've been in Project Managment for the last 6 years or so, first for an Engineering Firm, now as a direct hire at a chemical plant.  I'm a little unusual in that I enjoy this more than the more technical stuff.  I found pure process engineering to be boring so jumped to doing project work.  I find I really like managing the entire project process and seeing something go from an idea all the way to being commisioned in the field. 

Got my PE a couple of years ago, mainly for resume fodder and to see if I could do it.  Someone mentioned earlier needing 15 years experience, here in Louisiana its only 5 years.  I'll probably never stamp anything but its nice to be able to bring it up when the high gpa types start acting superior. 

Mechanical design engineer here, currently working on aerospace components but I have a strong background in automation and robotics development.

I find CrossFit and healthy eating to be the right balance to my day job (desk job).

Rx'dRobot - Ranger EngineerLVL 2 | STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 4 | CON 5 | WIS 5 | CHA 5Intro | Challenges: 1 - 2| "I may not be there yet, but I am closer than I was yesterday"

i've got my last (and only thank christ) exam for a foundation degree in mechanical engineering... CAN'T FREAKING WAIT TO FINISH, i'll finally be able to read again (if a read novels then nothing else gets done). it's took me three years doing one day a week (working at the same time, i'm a roll turner in a steel factory) and it'll be a damn relief when it's over

Got my PE a couple of years ago, mainly for resume fodder and to see if I could do it. Someone mentioned earlier needing 15 years experience, here in Louisiana its only 5 years.

5 years working under a liscensed engineer or having a liscensed engineer check your work.

When all of your coworkers are unliscensed engineers, as well as management, that is a problem.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Structural Engineer, though I do civil and mech and whatever they need me to do.  Currently working in primary industry (mining, lumber & pulp, oil & gas), but my passion is designing crazy sustainable houses.  Oh, if only I could get paid for that.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides.