Leksifer needs a kick in the ass: First challenge.

I've betrayed the bats.

I ate pie tonight.

NOT PALEO.

I have the hardest time saying no. Boyfriend's parents were in town. Went to dinner. Ordered spring salad with seared ahi (paleo), drank wine (paleo?) and then had banana pie with the best goddamn crust ever (NOT paleo).

And I didn't work out today cause I was sore.

Day four: TOTAL EPIC FAIL!

Facepalm.

First off Leksifer no day is a fail.......that mindset can be tough on you if you let it.  Trust me, I use to think that after a bad meal I had failed, it seemed like an innocent thought.  But eventually after thinking that for a while, it became the norm and it just didn't matter to me what I ate the rest of the day after that.  Days then turned to weeks and after that there was no good meal because I thought "what's the point if I just might fail?"  I found this and have made it my mantra:

One meal wont Do It

And taking time off from a workout is good, don't push so hard that you hurt yourself......you're no good to the Bats if you are out of commission from an injury!!!
Keep up the good work, you are doing great so far.  Remeber even some "non-Bats" are keeping an eye on you.

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

I agree with Mitch, one bad meal won't destroy your progress, so be kind to yourself! Recognize the choices you made, and move on! We've all got banana pie days. You DID get the seared ahi, so that's something. Despite its growing popularity, paleo is still sometimes tricky to stick to, especially when with relatives who are in town. For some reason, that's always when people have to bend on their eating methods. I was eating pretty clean keto for weeks and then had to stop my streak because my grandmother was in town and she insisted on rolls  :rolleyes:  

Level 1 Hobbit Adventurer Looking to Become an Assassin with Some Druid and Monk capabilities

Current Stats: (STR) 1 || (DEX) 1 || (STA) 1 || (CON) 2 || (WIS) 4 || (CHA) 6

One pie day? Pffft. It's not like you blew the whole day, you had one "bad" thing (love that mantra Mitch!).

And holy crap Leksifer I hope you're wearing a helmet! For the love of being able to think, be wearing a helmet!! As a big guy (falling can do more damage) who has had a series of bike accidents and other falls, READING your bike speed made my heart rate and blood pressure skyrocket haha. The hand numbness definitely dies out, your hands need to get used to the weird angles and pressure is all. 

You're doing great! Next time you eye some pie, imagine one of your fellow bats just smushing it with their hand and flipping the pie plate over in disgust. Can't help you with the wine. I drink when I hike lol.

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 6.75 DEX: 2.75 STA: 6 CON: 6 WIS: 4 CHA: 1.5

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

LOVE.

I'm going camping today so I won't be around til Sunday. I'll be hiking 12 miles or so.

See you manana!

Have an amazing camping trip! Also, I'm with the others. A couple less than stellar choices don't equate failing. Honestly, choosing NOT Carl's Jr. on a really tough work day? WIN.

And great job checking out new activities at the gym (and not snoozing!).

Looking forward to hearing about your trip when you return tomorrow :)

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

Hi, Leksifer!  Sorry it took me all week to get over to your thread and comment ( .__.)  But i'm glad to see that things look like they're going well!  And don't worry about that pie.  At least it was really good quality pie, and not a pack of crappy swiss cake rolls like I ate the other night, haha.  You know what would be worse than imagining us bats smashing your future pies?  Imagining that for every piece you ate, we'd have to eat one too!

Hope your camping trip was batman--can't wait to hear about it.  I have a weeklong medieval reenactment camping event coming up at the end of July. So excited for it!

Level 4 Twi'lek Adventurer

STR: 3 | DEX: 4 | STA: 7 | CON: 10 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 5.5

Current Challenge

Do not betray your fellow bats.  FOTB!

Can't wait to hear about your camping trip! I'm going to guess that no matter what you ate there was probably still a calorie deficit going on. 

Level 1 Hobbit Adventurer Looking to Become an Assassin with Some Druid and Monk capabilities

Current Stats: (STR) 1 || (DEX) 1 || (STA) 1 || (CON) 2 || (WIS) 4 || (CHA) 6

Alright. I'm behind. Quick recap:

Hiking trip:

Went to a new location I've never been before called Virginia Lakes about an hour north from where I live. Went with a couple and we hiked the summit, which began at 9,790 feet and climbed to 11,000 at Summit Pass (5.5 miles round trip). It was supposed to be a 12 mile trip on a loop, but that required extra planning (two cars ... one at the start, one at the finish) and we all had wine the night before so we decided to make it less complicated.

This is where we hiked/camped. The weather was hot and I was afraid of running out of water so I started to suck on snow I picked up from the trail (don't worry, it was clean). I went fishing in Virginia Lake afterward but caught nothing. DAMN! Then it was back to camp for reading, relaxing, and eating. I didn't read the night before (wine) so I made up for reading during the camping trip. Although I didn't bring an axe or sledgehammer, my friend and I found a downed tree and started stomping the dead tree branches off of it in order to built a fire. We got a little scratched and bruised from it, but it's all a part of the experience!

Up next: Review of Week One.

Leksifer

Level 1 Human Adventurer

(Ranger/Warrior/Druid-in training)

First 6-week challenge: I want to jiggle less.

Review of week one:

Riding the bike:

I wanted to ride my bike at least three days but only made it to two. I don't feel bad though because I did ride my bike on Sunday (the day before the official start of the Challenge) and I went camping/hiking and that took away time from riding (which I would have done if I wasn't in the middle of the woods).

Yoga:

I was supposed to do yoga at least twice a week. I made it to one class and it made me so sore, I didn't do yoga the rest of the week. As I get stronger, I'll be able to do yoga more frequently without crying like a little girl.

Paleo:

Definitely went off track this week in terms of eating strict paleo. I've already been on a paleo diet for a few months, but I was adding more and more non paleo items into my diet. Although I would say I'm definitely not as bad, I did slip a few times (PIE!).

And of course the wine. I failed in trying to just drink once a week. Sadly, I think I drank wine (at least one glass) every night after Monday night. Damn birthdays, and visitors, and friends, and fun times. I might try to wean myself off the wine drinking in a less drastic way since obviously I can't handle just drinking once a week.

Despite all of that, I did lose 1 pound this week. BOOM!

Reading:

Although I did not technically read 30 minutes EVERY night, I did read enough to get me through half of my book. My goal is to read 2 books by the end of the challenge and at this rate, I'm in good shape.

Bonus goals:

In addition to my above fitness goals, I did manage to get to the gym once this past week to explore weight lifting. I saw a personal trainer train some girls and after the session was over, I went over and asked her for the proper technique for dead lifts. She was happy to help and even gave an analogy I can relate to (using yoga!) so I started with some simple reps of 10. (I went again today (week 2) and I am very stoked on the progress already).

Anti snooze:

I think I snoozed once this week. I've been getting up early to ride and go to the gym with a friend, and that really helps not snooze. I really enjoy the mornings and all the working out has tired me out so I fall asleep better. I haven't taken melatonin once this week! It's amazing.

In addition, I tried the step master for the first time last week and I enjoyed it so much that I do a 30 minute warm up before I start weight lifting. Who would have thought.

Question:

Am I supposed to grade myself on a week to week basis, or is the grading just used at the end of the challenge?

Extra thoughts:

This challenge, in just one week, has opened my eyes to so much.

It's incredible to have online support, first of all. Seriously, at first, I thought it was a weird concept: having strangers root for you through forums. I've never been into forum discussions because I feel like people post so much, it's almost impossible to keep up (I still feel that way but I'm trying to keep up). But I was riding my bike yesterday and I got a bit lazy on this one part. I suddenly thought about the Fellowship of the Bat and I kicked my own ass. It was incredibly strange to be motivated like that. I've just never had that as a motivator before. Pretty. Fucking. Awesome.

Also, life sure gets in the way and makes accomplishing these goals a DAILY CHALLENGE. Sometimes it's outside circumstances, but most of the time, its yourself ... at least that's the case with me. Just week one was a fantastic way of analyzing me, my way of thinking, my way of doing, my way of eating, etc. What motivates me? What doesn't? Why?

Also, I've come to find out that I am insanely addicted to sugar. That will be a goal on the next challenge, but wow. I never EVER realized that sugar can be such an asshole.

Anyway, that's long enough. I have some designing to do but I will be stalking the bats later.

FotB!

Leksifer

Level 1 Human Adventurer

Question:

Am I supposed to grade myself on a week to week basis, or is the grading just used at the end of the challenge?

Extra thoughts:

This challenge, in just one week, has opened my eyes to so much.

It's incredible to have online support, first of all. Seriously, at first, I thought it was a weird concept: having strangers root for you through forums. I've never been into forum discussions because I feel like people post so much, it's almost impossible to keep up (I still feel that way but I'm trying to keep up). But I was riding my bike yesterday and I got a bit lazy on this one part. I suddenly thought about the Fellowship of the Bat and I kicked my own ass. It was incredibly strange to be motivated like that. I've just never had that as a motivator before. Pretty. Fucking. Awesome.

Also, life sure gets in the way and makes accomplishing these goals a DAILY CHALLENGE. Sometimes it's outside circumstances, but most of the time, its yourself ... at least that's the case with me. Just week one was a fantastic way of analyzing me, my way of thinking, my way of doing, my way of eating, etc. What motivates me? What doesn't? Why?

Also, I've come to find out that I am insanely addicted to sugar. That will be a goal on the next challenge, but wow. I never EVER realized that sugar can be such an asshole.

Anyway, that's long enough. I have some designing to do but I will be stalking the bats later.

FotB!

I think you can grade however you want/however works for you.  I'm more of a "final grade" person, but if I liked to battle myself/challenge myself to beat last week's accomplishments I'd probably do better with a weekly grade.

I hear you on the power of the Fellowship!  I have significant experience with online groups/forums (yet still am finding it tough to keep up here, tbh, so don't feel bad about that!) but this is just different somehow.  It's like other groups responded to what you did, whereas here people are supporting you based on what you *can* do.

I see sugar being one of my goals for a future challenge as well as I go get an oreo.

Level 4 Twi'lek Adventurer

STR: 3 | DEX: 4 | STA: 7 | CON: 10 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 5.5

Current Challenge

Do not betray your fellow bats.  FOTB!

So, I just wanted to LIKE every item in your first week recap, but unfortunately (or probably fortunately) forums don't have that option. So I'm responding to a select few items directly, but I was getting so giddy reading through! I'm feeling inspired to kick some ass right now. 

Also, your camping trip sounds WONDERFUL and the branch breaking actually sounds like a ton of fun. Bummer you didn't catch any fish, but it must have been nice to just sit out there anyway :)

I think I snoozed once this week. I've been getting up early to ride and go to the gym with a friend, and that really helps not snooze. I really enjoy the mornings and all the working out has tired me out so I fall asleep better. I haven't taken melatonin once this week! It's amazing.

SO COOL that exercising and not snoozing are directly affecting your sleep! How great!

And I actually felt the same way about participating in a fitness forum, specifically. First, I've never found one that I was interested in keeping up on until now, and second (funny coming from me because I know I post a TON), I was also nervous about trying to keep up (and not get obsessive in the process). But I've also found the support of the FotB to extend beyond what I read and post here. It's pretty amazing and very surprising. All of this to say, YES.

Also, YES to this being a DAILY CHALLENGE. And you are definitely killing it though, Leks. I know you feel like the revamped paleo wasn't on the mark this past week, but I think it definitely takes time to shift a mindset, ya know? New Week!!!

I think you can grade however you want/however works for you.  I'm more of a "final grade" person, but if I liked to battle myself/challenge myself to beat last week's accomplishments I'd probably do better with a weekly grade.

I hear you on the power of the Fellowship!  I have significant experience with online groups/forums (yet still am finding it tough to keep up here, tbh, so don't feel bad about that!) but this is just different somehow.  It's like other groups responded to what you did, whereas here people are supporting you based on what you *can* do.

I agree on grading however you see fit. I'm thinking I might do a progress report or two? Just to kind of see where I am, but really focusing on the end goal grading.

And, YES! "here people are supporting you based on what you *can* do." 

Right on, Vortex. What you can and WILL do.

FOTB!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

yeah you can grade however/ whenever you want really. I'm posting daily updates as new replies, plus editing my OP to reflect a summary of the whole challenge and each week (too much?).

I fully agree with everything you said about the online support. It IS a bit weird, because it's essentially gym talk by nerds, in text form, after and before you've done stuff instead of during. I mean we're not with you at the gym all "YOU GOT DIS BRO!! JUST CRUSH THAT SHIT! AWW YEEEUH BOIIII!" while you bench/lift/whatever, it's like that without the bro-tude, before and after you bench/lift/whatever and as thought out text. (hint: our way is better!)

I am entirely jealous of your camping trip/ hike. It sounds awesome, and the location looked absolutely gorgeous (very reminiscent of our West coast). One thing though: buy a hatchet, or at least a good knife for batoning haha. Keep a knife sharp and you can whip the blade right through tree limbs for kindling, trust me. Less scratches and bruises too which will save your med supplies haha

Daily challenge. Yes. definitely a lesson I've learned this past week as well. Struggle, struggle, struggle, and all of a sudden you're winning....as long as you keep struggling. But we're struggling right next to you, We struggle together, we win together. FotB!

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

yeah you can grade however/ whenever you want really. I'm posting daily updates as new replies, plus editing my OP to reflect a summary of the whole challenge and each week (too much?).

I don't think it's too much at all! Well, that's more or less what I'm doing too, so I guess I'm biased. But I mean that I enjoy reading what you have to say and your status updates, so I don't think it's too much. 

" I mean we're not with you at the gym all "YOU GOT DIS BRO!! JUST CRUSH THAT SHIT! AWW YEEEUH BOIIII!" while you bench/lift/whatever"

Wait. We're not? I need to rethink my approach here. ;)

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Well we are, just not PHYSICALLY with them in the gym, WHILE they're working out is what I was saying haha.

Ha! I just had an awesome/creepy visual of stalking people at the gym, then jumping out to yell encouragement.

I knew what you meant, though ;)

Leks: Just swinging by to say hi and wish you an awesome start to Week 3!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Updated my progress (or lack thereof) in the original post. Week 2 was hard for me. I'm not dwelling on it though. There were some things that happened that were out of my control that posed challenges on my goals.

Week 2 is over and now I'm refocusing my energy for week 3. I've already signed up for a bike ride on Thursday with the local biking club, and I signed up for a 44 mile ride on Saturday.

What I love about these challenges is how much you're forced to learn about yourself. I've learned that I am highly addicted to sugar. At the bridal shower, I declined all grains and breads, but I did have cheesecake and wine ... and cupcakes ... and other sweets. In realizing that, in order to satisfy my craving for sugars, I bought a bunch of fruits and I've decided to make a fruit juice with some cinnamon as a substitute for sugary sweets or chocolate. It's incredible though, my sugar cravings. I read somewhere that quitting sugar is similar to quitting cocaine. I've never ever done cocaine, but from what I read, it sucks. It's incredible to believe that sugar has such addictive qualities and how negatively it effects our bodies. And you add in the mental barrier and it's an INSANE challenge.

End rant. Here's to week 3!

Leksifer

Level 1 Human Adventurer

Sorry to hear you had a rough week Leks :(. Hope you're doing alright now though!

Way to go on joining the bike club, that sounds like an awesome thing to be a part of. I haven't really even tried to cut out sugar (yet), but I could definitely see it being a hard habit to kick from what my cousin has had to go through with a mandatory diet change. Tough stuff. 

What I love about these challenges is how much you're forced to learn about yourself.

^This.

Glad you're looking ahead to this week with a positive attitude too! Keep that going!

(p.s: Sorry I didn't think to look at your original post for an update, especially since that's also what I'm doing so I should have known better  :redface-new: )

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

First Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines