[Dominic] The adventure is over, prepare for war

Endor

After 3 adventurous challenges with many valuable discoveries and a small pile of treasure, whispers of war have been overheard. There is unrest in the east, the time has come to defend the lands, put the backpack down and pickup the barbell.

If you’ll have me, I will join the warrior clan for this challenge and prepare myself for war!

The first challenge was all about finding the reverse gear, putting the brakes on some bad habits and forming some new ones. It was a huge success. 

The second challenge was all about making weight, I finally broke a 4 year goal to go sub 80kg and get into my 'healthy' BMI range. It made me feel better all round.

The third challenge was about consolidation, basic strength and preparation.

Challenge 4 is all about education, experimentation and strength.

Goals:
Goal 1 – Learn tactical manoeuvres.  (WIS 5)

• Read Starting Strength from cover to cover.
  • Read The Primal Blueprint from cover to cover
  • Find my lifting gurus and be brave enough to ask for help when I need it

Goal 2 – Complete basic training (STA 1, STR 4)

• Complete the Rebel Strength Guide Barbell Battalion phase 1 (3 weeks to go).
  • Start the Rebel Strength Guide Barbell Battalion phase 2
  • Try my first PLP, commit to 30 days. This will also be my first PVP...if I can find somebody that wants to do it.

Goal 3 – Fuel the tank. (CON 1, WIS 1)

• 80% Paleo during the challenge. This is 17 full Paleo meals per week.
  • Limit alcohol to 8 occassions during the challenge. This has been a tough nut to crack, I didn’t make my once a week goal during the last challenge so I will have another slightly modified attempt at this. 
  • Experiment with Calorie levels. I think I may need to eat more calories now I have started lifting.

Goal 4 – Clean out and replenish the armoury (WIS 2, CON 1)

• Tidy up my tools in the garage.
  • Get either a squat stand or a power rack setup so I can lift safely.
  • Paint or replace the damn wardrobe doors that have needed doing for 10 months
  • Clean up the kick panels in the kitchen which have not been done since it was finished.
  • Make at least 3 music playlists of 20 songs each . This worked well in my last challenge so I am repeating it here

Measurements:

I will add measurements before the challenge starts on Monday.

Mini goals:

I keep these from previous challenges but don't score attribute points against them. These are new habits that have improved my well being and are now integrated.

- limit caffeine to 1 cup of tea a day

- cut out soda completely

Rewards:

- Finish everything on Goal 4 means any spare weekend time left during the challenge can be used for surfing, badminton, squash or video games instead of chores.

- There will be another reward, not sure what yet….

Excited to be joining the warriors, meeting some new people and getting into strength, let's fire up and get to it :positive:

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Jan 2022 - challenge

Welcome!  I think your goals are solid, and never worry about asking for help or advice among the warriors.  I read along for 2 challenges before I joined up in the last challenge, and I have learned SO MUCH from these folks, I think my brain got stronger, too! 

Amazon Warrior
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Druid Side Project
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."--Annajanska, George Bernard Shaw

looking forward to seeing The Lifting Shed's progress, so i am going to keep subbing :)

oh and cos you're awesome!

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Welcome!  I think your goals are solid, and never worry about asking for help or advice among the warriors.  I read along for 2 challenges before I joined up in the last challenge, and I have learned SO MUCH from these folks, I think my brain got stronger, too!

Thanks, I have also been doing some lurking and learning the lingo, I love learning new stuff, looking forward to this challenge :)

Subbing you back! 

It must be a decluttering time of year! 

I introduced the house goals last challenge and they worked really well, let's hope I can pull my finger out again....so to speak :lol: I have a week's holiday next week so I may use a day or two to attack some of those chores.

looking forward to seeing The Lifting Shed's progress, so i am going to keep subbing :)

oh and cos you're awesome!

aww shucks thanks AB :blush: Very glad to have you keeping an eye on me again :positive:

Welcome!  Don't be afraid to post videos for form checks, either here or in the formcheck forum.

Thanks wildross, I have been watching some of your thread from afar as I noticed you're a bit older than me and well ahead in terms of progress, inspirational. I've just got a laptop I can use in the garage so I'll have to check out the webcam.

I'm very very close to buying either this squat rack or this power rack  I haven't actually used either piece of equipment before or seen either of these. Does anyone have a view on the quality of either? I know it's kind of hard to tell just from pics but I won't have an opportunity to inspect them.

The power rack might *just* fit in my garage but is likely too tall. I'm considering putting in a shed to keep it in (The Lifting Shed AB referred to) but I can't afford to buy the shed for probably a few months. So do I buy the squat rack now which I know will fit in the garage or risk it on the rack since that's what I really want and I don't want to end up with a squat rack I only use for a couple months......decisions decisions!

Jan 2022 - challenge

Welcome to the Warriors! :encouragement:

I like the second link - the LC2 power rack. The first one has a max capacity of 270kg, the second has a capacity to 400kg, and they loaded it with 600kg and it didn't break. The second one also looks more stable, and has bars for you to do pull-ups on, and ones for dips, too!

The second link power rack will also be able to set up with putting a bench inside the rack, for you to bench press heavy weights without a spotter, if you set the safety bars at just the right height. (Wouldn't be perfect, but would be OK.) I'm pretty sure you can't do that with the first rack. Also, you'll be able to set it up for stuff like rack pulls. The first squat rack just doesn't look like you can set the safeties very low - the range is limited - it'll limit you from doing a few things: "(adj. size for the spot arm is from 630mm to 930mm)"

I say definitely get the second one, if you're serious about setting up a home gym.

(PS Max capacity of 270kg would be plenty for me, but as a guy, you've got the potential to exceed that, with time. It'd take a bloody lot of work, though, so for all practical purposes you're unlikely to get that high for squats, and it isn't really a major factor, but obviously you'd feel/be safer with a rack that you won't be putting close to its max limit.)

PS - if you're looking at a shed to fit the LC2 in, don't forget to allow some clearance at the top so you don't hit the roof when doing pullups!

Thanks for your opinion Athena, much appreciated. I do think I prefer the LC2, it's just so close on the height I think I will have to measure the garage again to make sure it will fit.

It's really hard to find a shed that is high enough to fit this in as well. I'm considering this one which is 2.3 metres at the apex and the rack is 2.15m high, it *might* fit as long as it doesn't taper off too quickly for the edges of the rack to fit.

Woo! Good luck!

I'd love to be able to join in on the PLP challenge, unfortunately I don't have a pull up bar in the house, yet...  :frown-new:

Interested to see how it goes, subbing!

Thanks :) I have one of these pull up bars which Athena recommended me in my first challenge, it's perfect for me.

---------

Been a good couple of days start to the challenge, I made the extra effort to get up a bit earlier and take the train to work instead of the car, this has meant I got 4 hours reading in already and am halfway through the Primal blueprint. There's some detailed chemistry/biology in there about how different foods act on the body, been very interesting so far, if a little heavy at times.

PLP is going well, but then it's only day 3, I almost forgot to do them yesterday as I worked late and didn't home until 8pm then dinner etc was almost time for bed when I remembered and knocked them out. I can already see that the last week is going to be hardcore. Pushups and Lunges should be ok, it's Pullups that will be tough. Still am in in it to win it so we'll get it done :positive:

In other news, I may have found a lifting trainer, watch this space.....

Jan 2022 - challenge

After a long walk to the warrior's valley, I'm here to wish you good luck! Subbing to this. 

Ah quite an trip getting here, glad to see my Adventurer posse has not forgotten me! Hey Elan *waves* I'll be keeping an eye on you too ;)

Jan 2022 - challenge

I'm a bit anal with buying furniture etc. If I was you, I'd break out a ruler, compass and set square, and I'd make a to-scale drawing of the shed (and any other sheds I was considering) side on cross-section, and floor area, and I'd make another to-scale drawing of how big the squat rack would be (one for side on and one for floor space), and I'd cut it out and see how it fits in the shed/s.

Umm, that is the sort of thing I would normally do and did take a few measurements last challenge as I pondered.

However Mav959's avatar on my thread, one of the underpants gnomes, reminded me at times I'm a procrastinator.........so........

I made a detour on the way home tonight and stopped in at the store to look at the power rack. I knew I could just do a Push Press with plates on the bar in my garage if i stand in the right spot so I got the guy to load up a bar and I stood inside the rack and pressed then got him to look if the plates cleared the top of the rack. They did by a few cm's.

So I bought it!!! :D

I've just finished putting it together and it fits in the garage :victorious:   I had to mount the pullup bar upside down but it will still work. I'll post some pics later on.

The guy in the store told me that the sheds can get condensation and the bolts would rust so it would be better in the garage. So glad it fits and cool I saved on the cost of the shed which was going to be over a grand.

I've been eyeing off this baby... Assault Rack

Quite exxy compared to yours! But they have a similar (and much cheaper!) version on that site! Sweeeeet!

I had a look at that rack in the store, I think I would always be thinking that he power rack would of been better so decided to plump for that in the end. All the stuff in the display area seemed to be very good quality though and the guy has been running the company for about 8 years so they are established. Based on the heaviness and quality of the power rack so far I think it was a good buy.

Right, off to finish up the rack and try it out :)

Jan 2022 - challenge

Umm, that is the sort of thing I would normally do and did take a few measurements last challenge as I pondered.

However Mav959's avatar on my thread, one of the underpants gnomes, reminded me at times I'm a procrastinator.........so........

I made a detour on the way home tonight and stopped in at the store to look at the power rack. I knew I could just do a Push Press with plates on the bar in my garage if i stand in the right spot so I got the guy to load up a bar and I stood inside the rack and pressed then got him to look if the plates cleared the top of the rack. They did by a few cm's.

So I bought it!!! :D

I've just finished putting it together and it fits in the garage :victorious:   I had to mount the pullup bar upside down but it will still work. I'll post some pics later on.

The guy in the store told me that the sheds can get condensation and the bolts would rust so it would be better in the garage. So glad it fits and cool I saved on the cost of the shed which was going to be over a grand.

I had a look at that rack in the store, I think I would always be thinking that he power rack would of been better so decided to plump for that in the end. All the stuff in the display area seemed to be very good quality though and the guy has been running the company for about 8 years so they are established. Based on the heaviness and quality of the power rack so far I think it was a good buy.

Right, off to finish up the rack and try it out :)

I'm so glad it fits! Photos, photos, photos!!!!!!!

I think their version of the rack that I want will be too short for me to do pull-ups on. :/ Annoyinnnnnng! The IronEdge one is 20cm taller. Made for giants! 

Level 8 Wookiee Ranger

STR 33.5 | DEX 17.5 | STA 17.75 | CON 14.5 | WIS 18.5 | CHA 8.25
"Do, or do not, there is no try" - Yoda

#1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 Challenge #7

Fitocracy

Welcome, if you are looking for a good cheap alternative to expensive stands I'd suggest making these. I made them last year and so far they are still going strong for me, I built them for around 35 bucks. Good luck and welcome to the warriors!

Edit: I fail at reading comprehension, you already have one. Well that site has tons of good stuff anyway. Kick some butt!

you got a rack!  I log in this morning to check in on you and come back a few short hours later and bam! a rack - you sure you're an underpants collector?

I wanna see pics and now sad that The Lifting Shed is now a pipe dream.  oh well. now you can turn it into something else - a surfboard stand or a boxing ring.

"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright

My challenge

Welcome, if you are looking for a good cheap alternative to expensive stands I'd suggest making these. I made them last year and so far they are still going strong for me, I built them for around 35 bucks. Good luck and welcome to the warriors!

Edit: I fail at reading comprehension, you already have one. Well that site has tons of good stuff anyway. Kick some butt!

Thanks anyway :) Looks like an ingenious solution....I'd probably kill myself on that :lol:

you got a rack!  I log in this morning to check in on you and come back a few short hours later and bam! a rack - you sure you're an underpants collector?

I wanna see pics and now sad that The Lifting Shed is now a pipe dream.  oh well. now you can turn it into something else - a surfboard stand or a boxing ring.

Yes, the Lifting Shed is now the Lifting Garage, the shed might make a come back later in the year so I can clear more space in the garage ;)

Glad I've been of some use! We all want to see your new rack! That sounded so much less dirty in my head...

ha ha ha that gave me a good laugh.

Whoohoo! Go Dominic! Excellent progress made!

Thanks Ems :) Like your new profile pic, you I presume?

*High fives you* Yay for your new rack!

Thanks again for your valuable advice and poke in the right direction, you're a legend as ever  :positive:

So................

Here it is!

Figured out how to put a pic inline....ignore all the crapola in my garage :nightmare: Deffo need to get my tools cleanup goal over the line this challenge!

gallery_12789_404_3353919.jpg

Jan 2022 - challenge

woo! Nice rack!! (bet you never thought you'd hear someone say that to you ;) )

Looks like you're ready!!

My challenge

woo! Nice rack!! (bet you never thought you'd hear someone say that to you ;) )

Looks like you're ready!!

Thanks, I've posted another bigger pic of my buxom rack, didn't realise those came out so tiny. I got a new 7 foot bar as well, glad I did cos my others were too small for the rack.

Jan 2022 - challenge

I'm reading through Starting Strength as well, and I have (and have read) the Primal Blueprint as well as some of Mark Sisson's others. 

I can't read Starting Strength too much at a time, because Rippetoe uses so much detail I have to digest it slowly. 

But as I put into practice each little nugget I discover (breathing properly, knees out during squat, etc.) it has helped my lifting.

Let me know if you have any questions or just wantto complain about one of Rippetoe's bad jokes (there are many).

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

I'm reading through Starting Strength as well, and I have (and have read) the Primal Blueprint as well as some of Mark Sisson's others. 

I can't read Starting Strength too much at a time, because Rippetoe uses so much detail I have to digest it slowly. 

But as I put into practice each little nugget I discover (breathing properly, knees out during squat, etc.) it has helped my lifting.

Let me know if you have any questions or just wantto complain about one of Rippetoe's bad jokes (there are many).

Thanks for the offer :) I haven't read very much of SS yet, I've been burning through the blueprint this week on the train to work, enjoying it and finding a lot out.

I'm sure I will have some questions once I get stuck into SS. I have a week's vacation next week and no firm plans other than to rest and enjoy myself so I will be taking the chance to do some reading.

Jan 2022 - challenge

OMG Right!!  It's such a lot of info to process (and like 700 pages of it - i wouldn't actually know, i have the epub version). But i am with you, every little nugget has definitely helped me get better and stronger - i can 1RPM squat 80kgs already (double what i could a few weeks ago). Now i just need to put the press stuff into practise (if i can stay awake through it).

My challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines