• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

So does anyone do this? I have a hoop, but I currently suck at it. I was thinking of making a collapsible hoop sometime in the near future and then make it one of my goals for the challenge after this one coming up on Monday. 

I would love to hear thoughts or see videos or just hear stories about hooping!

My hoop and I are not friends, it currently hates me. I really really try but it's just not happening :( it's especially sad since a lot of my friends are great at it. One of my goals is to go to their retreat next year, it's mostly fire performers but there are classes in hooping, poi and a bunch of other stuff.

Horray, hoopers! :) I do poi and glowstringing, so I share a love for the performance arts!

There was a "rave" at Naka-Kon where a hooper and I exchanged props for a bit, she taught me what I think is called the basic weave? I also tried a move I don't know the name of (in poi terms it would be called an isolation), but I wasn't so good at it, haha. It was very cool, especially working with the LED one!

Hey! I'm a hooper! It's actually been one of my main forms of exercise for the last couple years. If you're wanting to learn, definitely check out hooping.org. It's a wonderful community of very lovely people!

My hoop and I are not friends, it currently hates me. I really really try but it's just not happening :( it's especially sad since a lot of my friends are great at it. One of my goals is to go to their retreat next year, it's mostly fire performers but there are classes in hooping, poi and a bunch of other stuff.

Have you checked out any of Hoopnotica's instruction DVDs? They're very good when you're just starting out. They help lay down the basics, for sure! They really helped me get my practice going. 

Oooh, hoops! A good friend of mine bought one last week and told me all about it, I had never realised you can use it for exercise (I used to have a pink, glittery one as a child - my only association with the topic). It seems like fun, though! Might consider giving it a try...

Hey! I'm a hooper! It's actually been one of my main forms of exercise for the last couple years. If you're wanting to learn, definitely check out hooping.org. It's a wonderful community of very lovely people!

Have you checked out any of Hoopnotica's instruction DVDs? They're very good when you're just starting out. They help lay down the basics, for sure! They really helped me get my practice going. 

I have watched tons of videos, my friend thinks my hoop is still too small. I think my bodies rhythm is just off lol. I'm not dedicating enough time to it either. 

Oooh, hoops! A good friend of mine bought one last week and told me all about it, I had never realised you can use it for exercise (I used to have a pink, glittery one as a child - my only association with the topic). It seems like fun, though! Might consider giving it a try...

You should definitely try it! It's really a lot of fun. It's an amazing work out and you can have so much fun that you forget you're exercising. It's turned into a kind of therapy for me. When I have really tough days, I go home and hoop it out. My good mood will be restored so quickly!

I have watched tons of videos, my friend thinks my hoop is still too small. I think my bodies rhythm is just off lol. I'm not dedicating enough time to it either. 

A small hoop will definitely make things hard for you. The smaller the hoop the faster your movements have to be. I bet if you get a bigger hoop, your rhythm will work itself out. I started with a hoop that was too small. Goodness, did I have a hard time of it.

Has anyone seen any hoop videos that they thought were completely amazing? 

I totally measured wrong that night and it came out only about an inch wider than my other one :/ so I made another new one that's huge lol haven't gotten to play with it yet, hopefully tomorrow if the weather permits.

Yay for huge hoops! My first hoop was too small, my second one was absolutely, positively gigantic. It's still one of my favorite hoops to work with. I hope you get a chance to go out and play!

That's honestly one of the things I love most about hooping. After a point, it doesn't feel like working out. It just turns into playing. You can have so much fun and get such a huge workout. It can make you sooooo happy. 

Other hoopers! So glad I went searching through this forum. I started in the fall, but haven't done it in several months. I took a class for two or three months and lost maybe an inch or two from my waist. My teacher then went and moved out of state :( I have two workout DVDs that I've been meaning to use, but haven't due to lack of space at my house and embarrassment to do it at the gym. But I may start it again this weekend.

Are you guys still at it? Would love to talk to other hoopers!

I'm definitely still at it! I actually finally got up the courage to make a hoop video last fall. I actually shot footage for another one this week!

How did you get started? What kind of hoop do you use? Is the weather nice enough where you are to let you hoop outside? (That's where most of my hooping gets done.)

Yay for still being at it, and double yay for having the courage to make a hoop video!!

I got started when I saw the women from Hoopnotica on Good Morning America. I thought that it looked like a lot of fun so I went to their website and ordered one of their hoops and the level 1 DVD. I have this hoop, a 40" diameter one as my main hoop. I also have one of their travel hoops, as well as a pair of minis. I'm still figuring out the minis and still trying to figure out how to hip hoop. I'm still dropping it when I try.

The weather is starting to finally turn nice enough to be outside, I think. I live in Massachusetts so in the winter I need to go indoors. Well I guess I could stay outside, but the cold and I don't agree, lol. But it does look like spring has finally arrived to stay. *knocks on wood*.

Hahaha! Thanks! :) I got addicted to it several years ago. I've had times where I've wandered off from it, but I always come back. I think it's love. ;) 

Ahhh! Awesome! I remember hearing about that when they were on the show! Oh, very nice! Do you like the weight of the positraction? I started out with an insanely heavy hoop. It bruised me so bad for months! Also, how are their travel hoops? Are you pleased with it? 

Hip hooping took me forever to get down. The hardest part about it is the three beat rhythm instead of the two beats. It doesn't seem like it should be tricky, but it really, really is for some reason. I found the best way to learn it is to do a couple rounds of hip hooping, then work on something else for a while, then go back to hip hooping. 

Hahaha! Ahhh, I see. xD I'm in the southwest, so the winter is actually a good time to be outside. I hope spring is there for you! The biggest issue here during the winter is the dry condition. It's super hard to stay hydrated. I'll send some of our extra spring your way!

What are your favorite moves to do? :)

I am pleased with the positraction, the weight seems to be just perfect. Their travel hoops are good, but are slightly heavier, I think. The diameter seems to be the same, but they are thicker. It takes more of my energy to use it and feel more sore the next day, but in a good way. I've only used it a few times, but didn't notice any more bruising than the positraction. The only downside is that it makes a weird clicking noise due to all the connectors. Music will probably drown it out, though.

The three beat rhythm is killing me. I can do it slowly and without the hoop, but once the hoop goes on I just can't do it fast enough. I'm going to have to do the couple rounds then break for something else. Hopefully I will get less frustrated and it will finally click. I can get it right above the hips, so I'm close, just not exact yet.

Please send some extra spring! At this point I'll even take the dry conditions, anything over cold and snow. I've always enjoyed the southwest when I visit, the weather is more my style.

My favorite moves are lifting it into a halo from the waist and from the halo going into stir the pot and then back into halo then back onto the waist. It makes me feel gracefull, since normally I'm not. I forget what it's called, but I also love throwing the hoop onto the floor either beside or infront of you and putting a backspin on it so it comes back. I sometimes pretend I have the Force and I'm bringing it back to me, lol.

Excellent! That's great! I'm a bit surprised that the travel hoops are heavier. I would have thought it would have been the other way around. Do you think it's because of the connectors? Haha! Ah, yeah. I've heard tell of the click of travel hoops. Although the ability to take a hoop with you definitely outweighs any noise. 

Don't worry. Hip hooping is hard for everyone. :) Just keep working on it. If you can keep it just above your hips, that's a start. It will also help you in transitioning from hip hooping back up to waist hooping. Definitely work on it in small bouts. It makes it a bit easier on the nerves, especially if you're getting frustrated. That's how I learn all my new moves! 

I will see what I can do! Goodness knows that it's already getting hot here, so any way to help stall that sounds great to me! Did you get hit really hard with the storms this winter?

Ohhh! Yes! I know what series you're talking about there! That one is so much fun. It's definitely a graceful move. It can work so seamlessly into other things as well. It's a good one to rest in if you've been doing a lot of hard hooping or moves. I love that series too! Hehehehe! The backspins are so much fun. I've heard that move called so many different things. 

Do you have any favorite hooping videos? :D 

I do think it is because of the connectors. I think the tubing itself is thicker, probably to accommodate the connectors. So I'm just going to blame those stinkin' connectors. But, I agree, being able to easily take the hoop with you outweighs everything else.

We got slammed this winter. I think in January we got hit at least once a week with a snow storm. And not just a little snow, but a minimum of 4 inches each storm. Enough to close the office. Well, having the office close is a whole another story that involves an office mutiny with the studio manager leading the charge, but alas, I digress.

The one posted earlier in the thread I think by far is my favorite. I also highly enjoy Caroleena's videos. Between her personality and outfits they are always so much fun to watch. How about you? Aside from your own ;) do you have any favorites?

Gotcha! That's great! I've toyed with the idea of the travel hoops. I ended up getting a poly-pro and it wraps down to a smaller size which makes it pretty portable. They're such light hoops as it is, it's kind of surprising. 

Oh man! I can't even imagine that! I've never seen a real amount of snow in my life. It usually melts and/or evaporates before it hits the ground here. An office mutiny sounds like a highly intriguing happening! o.O Is everything thawed out now? 

Yay! Caroleena is always awesome! :D Hahahaha, mine is definitely not one of my favorites. I made it because I lost a bet. xD Oh, I have so many favorites. Here's one of them. It's just adorable! 

Yea, the mutiny was an intriguing happening. The State had said only important personnel should be at work (police, doctors, etc), but my boss opened the office because she is a workaholic. I live only 3 miles away and I almost got into 2 or 3 accidents the roads were so bad. Everyone was pissed and complaining to each other, but not to the boss - Until the boss went to the studio to get something and he just ripped her a new one. He's been at the company for over 15 years, her not even 10, so he was really the only one who could do it and not get fired and have her listen. Since then we've either had late openings or no opening.  

It's a mooper!!! So I just watched this at work without sound and it had me smiling, that was great. Can't wait to watch it with sound!

I hoop! Well, not much anymore, but I've been hooping since 2011. I'm probably intermediate-level but I rarely find time to pick up my hoop lately, haha.

My favorite hoop is my polypro <3 

Hurley8604- that's AMAZING! Way to go for your coworker for ripping her a new one! I can be a bit of a workaholic too, but it's a completely different matter when it's endangering people! Goodness, that's just crazy. It's good to hear that she's changed her tune!

It is a mooper! He's amazing and hilarious! I couldn't stop laughing the first time I saw that video. It's just so happy!

Mia amore- awesome! I hear you about the finding time issue. It's so hard to find time for a good hoop session. I've only recently acquired a polypro. It's taking a lot of adjustment for me. Do you have any tips for that? How did you start hooping? 

Here's another one of my favorite videos. Brecken is always amazing!