Chief Buzz 1.0

chiefbuzz

I'm jumping in here. Here I go!

Fitness goals : A: 10 miles a day in any combination of walk, run or bike. 8 one day and 12 the next is OK, as long as I end up with 70 in a week.

B: 100 of something a day, add a new exercise each week so by Week 6 I'm doing 100 reps of 6 different exercises. (nothing crazy like push ups...challenging but not unreachable)

Diet Goal: remove one carb from my diet each week until 6 are gone by Week 6. I'm starting with tortillas.

Life Goal: Walk a dog everyday.(I have 2) I hardly ever walk them, poor things. The milage will count for fitness goal A, level up for the dogs! Woof!

I am not nerdy enough to give these goals point values, maybe I'll change my mind.(shrug)

My weight loss goal will be 12 pounds.

Hi chief, and welcome!

You're right, it is a bit "nerdy" to grade goals by stats and that kind of thing, but I think one good useful side effect of doing it is that the challenge can become more than just "pass/fail" and that can be more motivating.  For example, say that you get a cold in week three and can't complete your 70 miles.  If your goals are just pass/fail, then you've failed.  If you're awarding yourself an A for 100%, B for 80% (or whatever) then you still have a B grade to play for - the challenge is still on.  You don't have to parse this as stat points if you don't want to, of course, but I think giving yourself grades might help you.

I'm also wondering whether 12lb weight loss is ambitious, but then I don't know where you're starting from in terms of exercise/weight/time available.

Either way, welcome, and best of luck with the challenge!

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

For example, say that you get a cold in week three and can't complete your 70 miles.  If your goals are just pass/fail, then you've failed.  If you're awarding yourself an A for 100%, B for 80% (or whatever) then you still have a B grade to play for - the challenge is still on.  You don't have to parse this as stat points if you don't want to, of course, but I think giving yourself grades might help you.

This. Also, if it was the roleplaying stats you don't feel like doing, that's totally cool. I would just agree with Rostov about having a structure for grading yourself. But, ultimately it's your challenge and you have to do what will motivate you the most! Only you know you! :)

Welcome to the scouts! We are glad that you're here! 70 miles a week is awesome. My puppies would probably like it if I included them in a challenge as well. I may have to ponder that.

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Oh, I am totally going to grade, I"m just thrown off by the STR DEX STA etc stuff. Roleplaying stats. My 15 year old son would love that, maybe I should hire him as my statistician. ;)

haha I love that

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

So far I have stuck to the tortilla challenge and the 100 challenge, but I missed a dog walk and 2 (TWO!!) ten mile days, which is bad bad bad. It has been super hot, 100+, so I really haven't wanted to run. I can still plug away at the stationery bike, so no excuses. I can probably catch up at least one day. How is everyone else doing?

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines