Pull up challenge June 3 - July 15

Greetings Rebels,

I have decided I need to be able to do some pull-ups and everyone knows that misery loves company.

Why do I need to be able to do pull ups?

5173441cbddac_hang.gif

Just in case something goes horribly wrong.

I started this challenge during the last 6 week challenge and didn't come close to my goal of 20 honest pull ups.

THE RULES:

1. Introduce yourself and tell everyone how many honest pull ups you can do today.
  2. Train, train, train. There is lots of advice out there on how to get into shape for this. Find the one that fits you best. Might I suggest you start your search here NerdFitness
  3. Keep us updated on your progress and setbacks. Ask questions. Provide encouragement to others. I'd like to see a post at least once a week.  
  4. At the end of the 6 week challenge post your improvement. Last challenge my final post pretty much said..started with 3 honest pull ups finished with 4, but it's a real good looking pull up.

For those of us in real-life role playing reward yourself  with +1 to Str, Con, and Cha, just for making the honest effort. After all we'll be stronger, have greater endurance, and look better.

For most improved female & male add an extra +1 Str, Con, and Cha. 

[edited by Nuala: sorry, no stat points can be given for PVP!]

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqXwBMdiGU-ndHlRcTZZc0lWZFd2TjNveTgtMTFVVkE#gid=0

[edited by Nuala: added a link to the spreadsheet!]

Anybody else interested?

My name is Greylox and today I can do 4 honest pull ups.

I really hope to see a couple friends from the last challenge.

=Greylox=

Level 4 Ranger

STR=10, DEX=8, STA=8, CON=12, WIS=12, CHA=10

As long as your mistakes are new ones you can claim you’re making progress.

Current challenge link                   Current PVP link

Well... I can do about one pullup if I jump up to do it.  I've been trying to increase my pull up number for a long time but I always seem to injure myself.  My elbows take a beating and seem to hurt whenver I practice pullups or pushups and have been this way for years so my goal this time is to take it slow even when I really don't want to! Recently from pull ups, my back/shoulder hurt so bad that I could barely move my neck and had to take the last week off.

My goal is to do two good form pull ups!

Alex

Current Challenge - Finally Starting

Hey Greylox,

Your PvP looks awesome, but (in addtition the 15 points awarded for 6-week challenge completion) only Guild Leaders may reward attribute points for official mini-challenges.  If you could edit your PvP and take out the points, that would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

i am back your trusted chief maintenance officer greylox ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

i am ashish, i can do 8 complete pullups and can take my forehead above the bar for the ninth one ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so 8.5 it is 

ASSASSIN LEVEL:3

STR: 15(current), 4(beginning) | DEX: 11.42(current), 1(beginning) | STA: 3.26(current), 1(beginning) | CON: 9(current), 4(beginning) | WIS: 3(current), 2(beginning) | CHA: 10.37(current), 3(beginning)

Challenges: #1#2

Current Challenge: challenge 3

Hello! I'm the Silent Ninja, and right now I can kind I can do half a pull-up. I want to be able to do 1 complete pull-up, unassisted with good form. 

LEVEL 1 ELVEN ASSASSIN

STR: 3 - DEX: 3 - STA: 2 - CON: 2 - WIS: 2 - CHA: 3

"To become a vampire, you must be bitten by one. To become a ninja, you first have to allow yourself to be one."

"Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it."

Current Challenge

after a long debate (it went something like this: i don't know.... oh, ok), I have decided to join the pull up PVP.  there was a time that i did 9 chin-ups (palms towards me), but they were atrocious (kipping and climbing).  i, now,  consider a pull up from full lock out to chin over the bar (i try to touch my collar bone to the bar for personal cool points) with a stiff or loose body, but no kipping or extra momentum.  that's just my own personal "rule" for a good pull up (palms facing away).  

right now: 4 pull ups (i can't get 6 if i kick and slime my way up for the last 2)

goal: 6 pull ups that would shame even the toughest Marine (i don't know if that's possible)!

why i like pull ups: they make my dead lift stronger and my dead lift makes them stronger!  p.s. dead lifting is my favorite thing in the gym.  i DL on monday mornings after 1 or 2 rest days and start my week out strong and happy!

eat good food, drink good [beer], and lift heavy things!

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  Anais Nin 

26yo Female Ranger.  First Challenge titled Rhea Recruited Me because she did.

Well hello I am Vengefulpear and I can't do any honest pull ups. So I shall be trying for five by the end of the challenge, I'll be doing some bodyweight stuff for my back muscles before I try to do any I think, but at the end of the week I'll give it a go and maybe have a pull up session once a week

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

Gym time this morning.  I did 5, which was awesome and surprising!  Therefore, my new goal is = 7!  

I will train pull ups on Tuesday and Thursday.  I typically do one max set (5 ish) and then I double that (10) and do as many sets as I need to get that doubled number (10 = 5, 4, 1 is typical).  If I did 6, then I would do as many sets as I need to get 12 more.  

Occasionally I finish the set with a 10 lb kettlebell and place the handle on top of my foot and do 1 or 2 with the extra weight.  This just requires that the bar height is not too high or that I have a box to step onto to get set up.

I'm open for suggestions.  I train my pull ups, but I've never set a goal to go after aggressively! 

I noticed that some people are training for their first pull-up! I remember mine, I was so excited that I got above the bar that I didn't even attempt a second one; I just dropped form the up position and didn't even come back down to lock out.

Less than a year ago I did 0 (ZERO) pull ups.  I've tried the machine and the bands, but it was negatives that actually got me there.  The first time I did negatives, I could only do two.  But, I stuck with it and would sets of 2 until I could not longer get any more negatives for the day.  If you want to try negatives and aren't sure what they are, here's the first YT video I found that was decent. 

Remember not to come down so fast that your elbow or shoulder are going into full lock out uncontrolled, that is asking for injury in those joints.  Straightening the elbow too quickly is one of the hardest things on it.

Dominate Gravity!

Hey, I'm Alex. I have returned to participate in the challenge again. I was up to 36 pull ups at the end of the last challenge, however I seem to have done something to my shoulder(I think I just slept funny and tweaked something). So my form is a little off because I'm favouring my right side and my left is compensating, but I still managed to rock out 30 just now, with decent form. So I'll say 30 is my starting point.

My goal last challenge was 30, and I started at 8 or something, so this challenge I'm debating shooting for 40, since I was almost there already, or going for 50 which I think will be my final goal, cause really, who needs to do more than 50? Ultimately I think I'll just shoot for 50, even if I don't make it, I'll sure get closer.

LV 3 - Lawful Good - Spartan - Ranger Current Challenge: One Momentous Word

Previous Challenge: #1 #2 #3

Battle Log - Epic Quest: To become a Spartan

Current Attributes:

STR - 6.75   DEX - 8   STA - 7

CON - 6   WIS - 9   CHA - 7

Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.

Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying, get the hell out of my way, I've got things to do.

Its not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not.

My goal last challenge was 30, and I started at 8 or something

Alex, you went from 8 to 30 pull ups in 6 weeks!  Please, do share how you trained.  Perhaps my goal of going from 5 to 7 is a little mamby pamby; maybe I should shoot for 10....

hmmmm I think this will help me along my chosen path quite nicely :)

May I join?

I can only do kipping pullups (but even those are a recent accomplishment for me) they faster for doing crossfit workouts when every second counts... but I want to be able to do a real one. I don't know if it's reasonable to expect this to happen this 6 weeks or not.. but I'm sure gonna work on it like it's possible

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

Hey now, don't sell yourself short. Pull-ups are hard, and just how hard they are vary from person to person. I'm quite a small guy, with a very low fat percentage. So I'm quite lithe, and have very little holding me down, so pull-ups come easier for me than most people.

As for my training, last challenge I mostly just did sprinting and body weight exercises down at the track and field near my house. I did them in cycles, and I started at 4 cycles and worked my way up to 12. Each cycle looked like this:

5 - pull ups

10 - push ups

10 - tuck jumps

30 - sec plank

2 - 25m sprints

Towards the end I started doing up to 5 extra pull ups per set, and also I did corn-cob pull ups instead of regular. Which are much harder. You pull up just like you would with a normal one, however at the top you move your body to the left and then to the right (or vice versa, whatever works for ya), then back to center, now if you're feeling crazy, push your body backwards so your face is going away from the bar, then back to the center again, and then down. The trick is to keep your head at the same height while you're moving your body around. Like I said, they're hard, but they make you feel like a beast once you get doing them haha. And if you want more details, just check out my thread from the previous challenge, linked in my signature.

You posted that you couldn't even do one a year ago, so the fact you can do 5 now is awesome. And I'm sure many people out there wish they could do that, but you're the one who put in the effort and got there, so just keep up the good work and you can achieve whatever you set your mind to.

LV 3 - Lawful Good - Spartan - Ranger Current Challenge: One Momentous Word

Previous Challenge: #1 #2 #3

Battle Log - Epic Quest: To become a Spartan

Current Attributes:

STR - 6.75   DEX - 8   STA - 7

CON - 6   WIS - 9   CHA - 7

Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.

Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying, get the hell out of my way, I've got things to do.

Its not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not.

Hi, I'm Barm and being able to lift my own body-weight and then some would be an incredible feat for me. I can do four pullups now (from a standing position, elbows cocked at about 90 degrees, not sure what an honest pullup means) and am aiming for 10 by the end of the challenge.

This too, shall pass.

Hey Barm.  Welcome!  I think what most people mean when they say "honest" pull up is starting from a dead hang (elbows straight), palms facing away, and pulling up to chin even with or over the bar.  A "strict" pull up typically means this is done without kicking, kipping, or any other aid. 

All of these "aids" can be useful in training to get a first pull up or to increase pull ups.  They are not bad, but they do not count as "strict" pull ups.

If the bottom part of the pull up is the hardest, you can train those by doing negatives (see earlier posts), using bands, kipping, etc.

I hope that's helpful.  Go get your 10!

I can do 3 closed grip pull-ups but I can do 0 wide grip pull-ups which are really my end goal. I have doing 12 closed-gip pull-ups as one of my goals for the 6 weeks so why not join this challenge too :)

In the past I have done a total of 1 wide-grip pull-up. I want to feel that excitement and accomplishment again! I have gotten up to 7 closed-grip pull-ups in the past so I am confident that I will at least reach that number again.

So which grip are we talking about here anyways??

As for chin-ups I can do 3 of those suckers as well.

so exciting to see way more people joining the challenge this time ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lets pull it up people ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ps : still 8.5 very close to ninth but can't completely do it ,,,,,,,,,,,,

ASSASSIN LEVEL:3

STR: 15(current), 4(beginning) | DEX: 11.42(current), 1(beginning) | STA: 3.26(current), 1(beginning) | CON: 9(current), 4(beginning) | WIS: 3(current), 2(beginning) | CHA: 10.37(current), 3(beginning)

Challenges: #1#2

Current Challenge: challenge 3

I will join in! I have done 3.5 honest pull ups a few weeks back, but have backslid to 2 in the last few weeks. I really want to be able to do 5 consecutive, honest pull ups by the end of the 6 weeks, I am aiming for 8, but I will be happy with 5 and over.

First Challenge    Second Challenge

Third Challenge    Fourth Challenge

Fifth Challenge   

Half-Elf, Monk, Level 4

STR 20 | DEX 13 | STA 14 | WIS 12 | CON 16

I'll join as well.  Last monday, I managed a set of 9, but after a week of the twenty pullup challenge I'm feeling pretty good, so let's put my starting point at 10.  My goal this challenge is a single set of 25.

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I can do 3 closed grip pull-ups but I can do 0 wide grip pull-ups which are really my end goal. I have doing 12 closed-gip pull-ups as one of my goals for the 6 weeks so why not join this challenge too :)

In the past I have done a total of 1 wide-grip pull-up. I want to feel that excitement and accomplishment again! I have gotten up to 7 closed-grip pull-ups in the past so I am confident that I will at least reach that number again.

So which grip are we talking about here anyways??

As for chin-ups I can do 3 of those suckers as well.

Another pull up-gravity-dominating lady-- heck yes!  I don't think there's a standard grip for the challenge.  I like to train wide, narrow, and neutral grip as well as chin ups to hit all different muscle groups.  I am going for 7-10 wide grip for this particular challenge.  I bet you can get 3-5 wide grip in 6 weeks!  It will engage more lats which are good for the female hour-glass figure  ; )

I want in!  I'm new to the official challenges, but one of my goals is to be able to do two pull ups.  Aaaaaaaand after reading this post, I should probably revise that goal to "two good form pull ups."  Tips welcome!

Current status:  No pull ups, no chin ups

Challenge:  Two pull ups and two chin ups in good form!

let's do this.