Pull up challenge June 3 - July 15

Mondays is pull day!  I usually dead lift and then do pull ups.  The DL platform was full so I warmed up with a set of 7(!) pull ups.  Then I did my DL regimen and finished with 6, 5, 4, 5 (last set was neutral grip, hence the higher set number).  That's a full set more than normal because I didn't really think about the initial set while doing them.  Great day!

Nice work!

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

Greetings everyone,

In the first post of this challenge there is a link to a google doc spreadsheet, created by SAYA, for tracking weekly progress.  I updated it today, check my work please, and it would be great if you updated it once a week, preferably Monday, but it's by no means a requirement. 

It's great to see some progress being made. Keep at it everyone.  Remember, I'm ...pulling for you.

=Greylox=

Level 4 Ranger

STR=10, DEX=8, STA=8, CON=12, WIS=12, CHA=10

As long as your mistakes are new ones you can claim you’re making progress.

Current challenge link                   Current PVP link

I will continue to update the spreadsheet, but it won't be the most accurate indicator of my progress, since I'm doing assisted pullups on a machine. But I'll report where I'm at here.

On Monday, I dropped down to 80 lbs offset. Could only do 1 there, but if possible, I try to increase my reps by at least 1 for every workout. Also, since starting the challenge, I've graduated from 130 and 120 lbs offset. So currently working on 110, 100, 90 and 80.

Thanks for setting this up, Greylox! This has been a huge motivator for me. :)

Level 8 Guardian Trainee

STR 20 | DEX 15 | STA 13 | CON 15 | WIS 12 | CHA 17

TN is Lookin' at YOU, Summertime!

"Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees." -Hebrews 12:12

Yesterday I did another pullup test, I am at 11 consecutive. Up 1 from last week, woot! I then did 5 sets of pull-ups for my workout (6, 5, 6, 5, 6) for a grand total of....(drum roll please)...39 pull-ups!!!

Garrett - Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge | Accountibilibuddy Group: Military Nerds | PvP Challenge: Pull-ups
First Challenge

STR 6 | DEX 1 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 6 | CHA 6
“Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.â€

- Optimus Prime

didn't gave too much time to pullups ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, zero progress for second week ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i promise to bring the seriousness back 

ASSASSIN LEVEL:3

STR: 15(current), 4(beginning) | DEX: 11.42(current), 1(beginning) | STA: 3.26(current), 1(beginning) | CON: 9(current), 4(beginning) | WIS: 3(current), 2(beginning) | CHA: 10.37(current), 3(beginning)

Challenges: #1#2

Current Challenge: challenge 3

TiberiusNightrise - Great progress. When I first decided I needed to be able to do pull ups I also used the assisted weight machine. Isn’t a great feeling when you can move the pin up a notch? I still use the machine, my gym doesn’t have just a bar, but now the foot rest is up. You’ll be doing that sooner than you think

Gllarso - I’m jealous and congratulations. My sets of pull ups tend to run 4, 2, 0.5. You say you slacked off over the weekend? I thought that’s what weekends were for.

SAYA – Everyone deserves a break. I’m sure you’ll be back at it soon enough.

Yuen -  Sorry about your injury but glad to hear you’ve recovered. 23 pull ups WOW.

Dr3wcifer – I’m glad you enjoyed the pun.  Let’s see… you’re stuck at 11 pull ups, I’m stuck at 4. Want to trade places?  Hang in there; I’m sure number 12 will be there soon.

=Greylox=

Level 4 Ranger

very sore from yesterday's workout.  my deadlift today was very pathetic... I could only get 20lbs less than my normal lift.  BUT, I did get 7, 4, 3, 2 pull ups, then 5 and 2 chin ups!!  Even more exciting, was that they were on a straight bar.  I typically use one with grips that are set at a different angle; on the straight bar I usually can't get more than 5, so it was a great feat! I have no idea how those were so strong and the rest of my body was dead!

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  Anais Nin 

26yo Female Ranger.  First Challenge titled Rhea Recruited Me because she did.

Greylox, it feels SO good to be able to move the pin up a notch! Thanks for the encouragement. Looking into some other exercises to augment the assisted pull-up machine in an attempt to get to 1 full on pull-up by the end of the challenge. I'm currently considering doing some dip progressions, inverted rows, dumbbell rows, and *gasp* bicep curls. Anything to strengthen those muscle groups. Anyone have any suggestions?

Level 8 Guardian Trainee

Greylox, it feels SO good to be able to move the pin up a notch! Thanks for the encouragement. Looking into some other exercises to augment the assisted pull-up machine in an attempt to get to 1 full on pull-up by the end of the challenge. I'm currently considering doing some dip progressions, inverted rows, dumbbell rows, and *gasp* bicep curls. Anything to strengthen those muscle groups. Anyone have any suggestions?

TiberiusNightrise, 

I have had great results with negatives.  The eccentric contraction of all the pull up muscles is as effective as the concentric, and it creates the exact motion that will be present in the actual pull up.  All your other exercises will help as well!!

Thanks for the idea, doc.chelle! I will probably start working in negatives once I get a little stronger, maybe after I have graduated from 100 lbs offset on the assisted machine. I have done negatives before and came really close to injuring my lats, so I just want to be somewhat careful. The good news is that in my last workout, I made really good strides in my assisteds (finally) and was able to graduate from 110 lbs offset. So I'm well on my way towards working negatives into my routine.

Level 8 Guardian Trainee

Good call...  I have seen people come down too quickly on the negatives and have to start somewhere else.  

Depending on available equipment, you can do Incline Cable Pullovers or Lat Pullovers to target the Lats specifically.  I'm excited to see you post your first pull up by the end of the challenge!!

Congratulations on completing the six week PvP everyone. Please post your straight pull up count on the spreadsheet, even if you haven't reached your goal, like me. 

For those who reached their goal, SUPER CONGRATULATIONS but don't stop now. Also, please feel free to share your training routine with others.

For those of us that didn't reach our goal, keep pulling. Try a different training routine next PvP. I'm sure we'll eventually discover the training routine that works for us.

Yuen, How's the shoulder? I hope you're on the fast path to recovery and are able to get back to the fun and games soon.

Everyone, keep challenging yourself, set your goals a little higher, train to achieve them, and level up your life

In the past six weeks I've lost weight, shrunk a pant size, can deadlift, bench press, and squat more weight. Can I do an extra pull up? Alas, no :confusion:,  but I am healthier and happier than when I started so I'm claiming a victory there. Oh well! I'll be back at it next challenge and hope to see you there. 

=Greylox=

Level 4 Ranger

Congratulations on completing the six week PvP everyone. Please post your straight pull up count on the spreadsheet, even if you haven't reached your goal, like me. 

For those who reached their goal, SUPER CONGRATULATIONS but don't stop now. Also, please feel free to share your training routine with others.

For those of us that didn't reach our goal, keep pulling. Try a different training routine next PvP. I'm sure we'll eventually discover the training routine that works for us.

Yuen, How's the shoulder? I hope you're on the fast path to recovery and are able to get back to the fun and games soon.

Everyone, keep challenging yourself, set your goals a little higher, train to achieve them, and level up your life

In the past six weeks I've lost weight, shrunk a pant size, can deadlift, bench press, and squat more weight. Can I do an extra pull up? Alas, no :confusion:,  but I am healthier and happier than when I started so I'm claiming a victory there. Oh well! I'll be back at it next challenge and hope to see you there. 

Hey Greylox,

Thanks for setting up this challenge for all of us! I had fun, despite bowing out halfway due to the dislocation :)

The shoulder is much better. I'm currently doing narrow grip chin ups, just the top 1/2 of the ROM. (Wide grip and the bottom portion of the motion are not a good idea for a recently dislocated shoulder - will transition into full range by 6 weeks post injury though). Within my limitations I am doing well though - up to 25 reps now (1/2 ROM is much easier than a full ROM though...), and doing +17kg weighted chins in the same range (and very slowly increasing to avoid over-stressing the shoulder).

So yeah... everything is progressing well. My one true goal of a one arm chin up is still alive!

I'm really glad to hear about your weight loss, waist line decrease, and bench/squat/deadlift increases! A pity the pull ups didn't increase... but hey you can't win em all :)

Keep forgetting to hop online at home and can't open the spreadsheet from my work computer; but I maxed out at 12.5 pullups about halfway through the challenge.  Pretty sure I need to revamp my diet before I can build the muscle necessary for 25 pullups, so I'll be working on that next challenge.

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I topped out at 15 pullups during the challenge. I haven't been working out as much lately, so I've probably backslid since then, but I'm going to go with 15. It's halfway between where I started out and where I wanted to be, but hey- I'm happy with any improvement. Just got to keep going!

Level 1 Avatar

'That's all I've got. It's pretty much my whole identity. Dr3wcifer: the meat and sarcasm guy.'

The Avatar's current 6WC

Run 30min 4x/wk     |     Stretch 30min 4x/wk