LaLa's first getting her butt in shape challenge!

LaLa

Ok, let's see if I can get this done before I have to go to work & I'm tired this am so bear with me.  I am going to ask for some help in forming goals that are measurable, hopefully no one minds.  First the goal I've been working on is to lose body fat, then get stronger.  I want to have a flat firm stomach by the end of the six weeks, but flat & firm isn't measurable.  As far as weight loss I'm 111 lbs & 5' tall, ultimately I will end up the same weight (maybe more) but more muscle.  I figure I have about 5 lbs to go, but I am really judging by the mirror.  Second, I want to get stronger.  I'm thinking of measuring this by dead lifts, so I will Dead lift 115 lbs by the end of the challenge.  I know the two goals are contradictory, but I lost 20 lbs last year and went from not dead lifting at all to dead lifting 115, so I can do it again.  I just started New Rules of Lifting Supercharged, right now I am dead lifting 70lbsx15 reps.  So 115 maybe is too light?  Any ideas on what is a good weight goal?  My third goal is to drink 64 oz of water every day.  I will be back later today and post more definitive goals, any help is appreciated.  I will also post some more pics/stats this weekend.  Have a good day!

Ok, so now that I am a little more rested & can think clearer I will post my goals, again any input is welcomed.

1) Lose 1" in my stomach

So I measured my stomach this am, at the part where I the bubble of fat I am 30", so in 6 weeks my stomach will measure 29".  I will accomplish this by measuring & recording (MFP) everything I eat, and will consume 1,300-1,400 cals a day.  In 2 weeks I will assess and change my calories as needed.  I will also workout 5 times a week: 3 weightlifting sessions, run 1X a week & one other cardio sessio (kickboxing, spin, etc.)

2) Dead lift 115 lbs.

Is this a good amount?  Should make it more challenging, Anyone?  I will accomplish this by completing 3 NROL supercharged workouts/week.  If I attain the above goal before 6 weeks is up, I will adjust my calories upward to assist with strength building.

3)  Run faster

I suck at running, I can only do it 1x per week or I get bored.   I am also very slow.  I will increase my 5K time by 6 min (1 min/week) by the end of the challenge.  I will time myself this week and give a baseline.  

4) Drink 64 oz of water everyday

Because I don't drink nearly enough.  I will kick off my day by drinking 8 oz when I wake up & carry around a bottle of water with me at all times.

Now I have my awesome goals set up clearly, I am ready!

I too struggle with water consumption. I hate it. Hate the way it tastes. I'm told it doesn't taste like anything, but it tastes like enough of nothing to me that I can't stand it. So that's why it's a goal of mine as well. :)

As far as the other goals, I'm not sure that anyone can give you any guidance on how much you should deadlift unless we know what it is you're deadlifting now. So post back what you're deadlifting now and someone can point you in the right direction. 

ArrantSquid - Ranger (Level 1)

Str: 5 Dex: 2 Sta: 2 Con: 3 Wis: 20 Cha: 30 | (Str calculated by averaging GSP touchfit and multiplying by .1)

ArrantSquid's 6 Week Challenge (June 3rd Start)

Assigning Attribute Points

“Just because someone is worse, doesn’t mean that you’re not bad.†– My Father

We'll have to give each other a kick in the pants to get that H20 down!  My problem is remembering to drink it.

My dead lift history is in the first post.  I was lifting 115 lbs last year before taking a LOOONNGG break.  I just started new rules of lifting supercharged & last work out I did 70lbsX15 reps.  I'll give 80 lbs a shot next workout (wed.)  I do find going up in weights for dead lifts quite easy, it's squats that give me trouble!  I am working on form and strength this challenge, next challenge I'll definitely make a squat goal.

Yesterday went fabulous. I drank all my water & lifted weights, recorded everything in MFP, & stayed w/in my calorie goal... I think.  I live with a chef who likes to throw things together and turning down a cooks food is out of the question.  I did my best to estimate the home made raviolis he made.  Today I took a kickboxing class.  I hate this time of year, the gym always fills up w/ people wanting to get in shape for summer.  Although it was fun pretending I was hitting the twitty girls who crowded near my corner after I staked out the perfect spot.

LoL! Congrats on hitting your goals! And I understand that frustration of the gym. It's why I always choose a place that's 24 hours so I can go at 3am when no one else is there (though my work has 2 gyms now, which is a luxury not many have). 

And to your deadlift, I think 115 is fine for a 6 week goal. It'll give you time to ramp up (and down if necessary) to get into it. 

Str: 5 Dex: 2 Sta: 2 Con: 3 Wis: 20 Cha: 30 | (Str calculated by averaging GSP touchfit and multiplying by .1)

Nice goals and good work towards them - I love deadlift btw, my favourite lift I think!

Me too!  Whenever I do them I play the planet fitness commercial in my head "I pick things up & put them down"    

It's why I always choose a place that's 24 hours so I can go at 3am when no one else is there (though my work has 2 gyms now, which is a luxury not many have). 

3am?!  That would never happen!  I'm sound asleep in my bed at that time (unless dd has me up).  

Hit my water goal yesterday, went to the gym today and dl'ed 80lbs X 15.  I will do the same again next workout because I felt my form go a little towards the end.  So I'm having this issue where I can't stop checking out what the crazy lady is doing at the gym.  Today she was wearing a bright sequined top & blue jeans.  Maybe that should be another goal of mine, stop looking at crazy people, at least the ones I see on a daily basis.

I love dead lifts!!! I had to make myself stick to training them only once a week because I get hardcore addicted to them. It's the one lift I look forward to seeing in a wod. Squats on the other hand.... My nemesis. Next NF challenge will also have a squat goal.

Well done on the water intake. Keep it up :) Have you tried putting fruit in your water? I like to keep a jug in the fridge with water that has sliced lemons, or frozen berries, or sliced oranges. A sliced cucumber with mint leaves is nice too. I like it when I get sick of water and just can't stand the thought of having anymore that day. It's refreshing and delicious :)

Keep up the good work!!

:) I've been having a hard time going to sleep at a decent time for about... 20 years or so now. Never figured out why, but I'm at my peak from between 3:00pm and 6:00am. Any other time I move at a snails pace. Having a job that's conducive to later starts (10 is early lol) has been a pre-requisite for me for quite some time now. 

Woah living with a chef! That must be awesome and challenging at the same time! Well done on taking care of challengey business  - looking good :positive:  You can get some really strange ones in the gym sometimes, they are fascinating!

Level 11 Human Ranger

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not."

"Once a person is determined to help themselves, there is nothing that can stop them."

CURRENT CHALLENGE   1 2 3  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   DAILY BATTLE LOG     MOTIVATION

(Inventory: Fire Flower)

Winner of Adventurer Guild Challenge #26

a_klodt- I always say I want to do that with fruit, but never do.  For a little while I was adding a splash of unsweetened 100% cranberry juice.  I am including herbal (non-cafinated) tea in my h2o total though, yes even in this hot weather because I'm crazy like that.

ArrantSquid- I bet your wife loves you being up all night, that was the hardest thing for me being up all night with dd for 3 years straight.  It was torture.

Ems- about living with a chef, it does take a lot of self control & flexibility.  I find out what he plans on making that night & I plan the rest of my day around it.  I keep some tuna & frozen meals from trader joes just in case.  Sometimes I'm the crazy one at my gym... my daughter likes to bring her toys to the play room there & always forgets them in the car, so I'm the woman who walks into the gym with minnie mouse & barbies convertible.

Yesterday I hit my water goal, today I am behind.  I have only had one cup so far.  Woke up and had my coffee and no water first, then I had another cup of coffee.  Totally forgot about drinking water, whoops.  I took a rest day yesterday.  Today went to the gym & lifted.  I am finally getting back to where I was before my long break with pushups- when I started back up again I did 7 with poor form, today was the first time I was able to complete the prescribed set of 15 with perfect form & no rest in between.  woo hoo!  I did struggle with going through the complete range of motion after the 10th push up with the second set though.  I'm also logging all my food in MFP every day.

My trick to getting the water in at work:  A 32 oz Nalgene with a NARROW opening.  This way I can actually drink it without splashing my nose and get a few gulps in at a time.

But yeah, I forget.

Current challenge:This is not how daemoncorax used to wake up

Previous challenges: DaemonCorax doesn't go on vacation

(STR 21; DEX 3; STA 10.5; CON 8.3; WIS 15; CHA 2 - but these are SUPER out of date.)

While we have to stay away from the desert, we can always ride our bikes.

I haven't checked in in a few days, but I did the important part, except Friday I was one cup short on water.  Even worse I had a shot of vodka instead.   Sun I ran & today I lifted, so I got 100% of my workouts in for the week, only one glass short of water, & kept under my calorie goal everyday.  The scale hasn't gone down, but I think I did lose some fat on my belly.  As far as the run... I did intervals as part of my week one challenge, then finished the 3.3 miles.  The time was 40 min, so next Sun I will aim to finish it in 39 minutes.  And that's the rest of my week in a nutshell.

I haven't checked in in a while, but I'm still working at my goals.  The water thing has been the least successful, but I am drinking 64oz more days than not so that's an improvement.  I have consistently lifted 3 days/week & completed 2 cardio sessions, except I missed one running session.  My last run was 39:10, so that's an improvement, a small one but an improvement nonetheless.  My waist varies between 29.5"-29.25" & the fat on my stomach is reduced.  I deadlifted 105 lbs last time at the gym, but I am not ready for 115 lbs, I need to work on my form more.  I should get to 115lbs by the end of the challenge.  I am loving NROL:S, I have gotten stronger across the board, but since I am focusing more on fat loss & form it is minimal.  Hopefully when we start the next challenge I will be happy with my body fat % and focus on pure strength gains.  

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines