Time to Get Serious, My First 6 Week Challenge

Chrissa

Please allow me to introduce myself.

I am Chrissa and I have been lurking around the blog and e-mail lists since discovering the rebellion last September. Up until now, I mainly read Steve's posts and take what I can from them occasionally tossing out a comment here and there. Nerd Fitness has inspired me a lot over the last several months and I'm finally ready to step it up and take my place among my fellow rebels. I've never been very good at joining in but I believe this is going to be the most important challenge for me because it will teach me how to be a better part of a community. You see, I need help. Serious help. I am very bad at asking for help and I try to take on more than one person can handle all by myself.

In Case of Emergency-Break Glass!

I am wearing a glass mask that looks like a woman who has her shit together, but behind that mask I have become a fragile little panic monkey obsessed with trying to do too much. My husband and family are very supportive and realize the past few months I've been going through a really rough time. I'll get into the details more in future profile posts, but for now I think starting this challenge is the most important step. Needless to say, they aren't completely on board with my primal lifestyle changes. I don't have many friends and none of them are on board either. That's why I am here.

My Goals:

• Increase my attack speed and aggression enough to test for my blue belt. I have been a hapkido student for the past 5 years and I'm really struggling right now. My blue belt is a big one because it marks the halfway point towards my black belt. My instructor told me that my technique is great but lacking in effectiveness because it is slow and I am not using my "ki." I need to somehow ignite my fighting spirit and learn to attack with more intent. 

I now plan on doing this by practicing my techniques with my eyes closed (or blindfolded) and using my ki-yies when doing them and during my kick workouts and really trying to feel the energy release

Grading  Scale:

A   =  Attain Blue belt.

B+ = Be ready to test for belt.

B   = Enlist the help of a higher belt to improve my practice or be complimented on my progress.

C   = Try new ways of practicing at home until finding one that works.

D   = Practice as usual with just the awareness of what I am doing wrong.

F   = Fail to practice at all.

DEX +1, WIS +1

• Stop stress eating and snacking between meals. I often find myself reaching for whatever food is on hand when under a lot of stress, which lately has been too often. Working in the food service industry doesn't help because I'm around food all day. I try to keep it to mainly veggies with a little meat but depending on stress levels I have caved in to eating junk. I also eat when I get idle time at work instead of relaxing and finding some release. At my worst (which thankfully doesn't happen as often) I end up caving into eating sugar or something that has MSG in it and it sets me off on an all-night full-on junk binge that leaves me feeling like garbage and hating myself. There are points during those times that I literally cannot stop eating no matter how full I feel and it's even made me consider forcing myself to vomit. Fortunately, I haven't hit the point to acting on it but it's been close and I found missing the next morning's breakfast helps get me back on track. Normally, I avoid my trigger foods at all costs knowing what they do to me but sometimes I just break. I often find myself envious of my husband because he can avoid whole meals when he's not hungry. I want to be more like him in that and I think this will be my starting point. I need to fix my hunger signals so for the next 6 weeks I will try not to snack at all between meals unless I need to refuel after an intense workout. 

One thing I plan on doing to help this is brush after every meal to signal to myself that eating is done. I find it helps when I do remember to do this. I've also resolved to not multi-task while eating and take my time to chew because I find myself in a hurry to eat all too often.

Grading Scale:

A  = Succeed with brushing after every meal and only eating a snack as refuel after tough workouts.

B  = 1 slip up per week allowance.

C  = 2 slip ups per week.

D  = 3 slip ups in any given week.

F  =  4 or more slip ups in any given week.

See my food diary here.

My Instagram Profile for travel food pics.

STA +1, WIS +1

• Reduce my waist-to-hip ratio. I'm not quite sure yet what amount of reduction would be reasonable in the allotted time but any reduction at all would be a step in the right direction. Over the last few years I went from being a fat girl to being "skinny fat" and I have been stuck at it for far too long. Despite the above stress eating, I manage to eat 80% or more paleo and my diet is pretty clean. I've recently cut down on nuts and almost eliminated dairy completely with the exception of ghee and the occasional cheese. This past week I got back to tracking my meals on My Fitness Pal and am working on getting my portions down to where they should be. I know we're not supposed to count calories, and I tweaked the settings to reflect a paleo approach to macronutrients and I find it's helping. I intend to stop counting once I have my portions under control. I believe the root of my problem is more the stress. I used to be a lot more fun and I feel like I've forgotten how to enjoy myself. I don't remember the last time I LOL'd. I don't really get out there and play. I act friendly and outgoing at work all the time serving customers but I am not social enough. If it weren't for my hapkido classes I'd have almost no social interaction outside my family and bumping into people I know in the streets. I need to find that fun girl I used to be.

This goal is now revised to be tracking my daily routine ala Seinfeld's Don't Break the Chain and not allowing for more than one slip-up per week. 

Grading Scale:

A  = No more than 1 break in any given week.

B  = 1 break every week.

C  = 2 breaks in any given week.

D  = 3 breaks in any given week.

F  = 4 or more breaks in any given week.

See my tracking sheet here.

STR +1, DEX +1, WIS +1

In Conclusion

I know these goals need refining and I will likely be revising them after hearing your suggestions. I'm sorry for being so long-winded but as I said, I'm drowning here and I need your help. I've taken the first step towards the shore and I'm hoping to reach this island and become one of it's many active and contributing inhabitants.

Starting Stats:

Weight: 143.5 lbs

Neck: 13.5 inches

Waist: 32.5 inches

Hips: 38 inches

I apologize for the crappy cell phone pics, but it's what I have to work with at the moment. I'm sucking it up here and know they aren't flattering pictures but that's the point. I'm going all in.

post-9615-0-66681100-1370256656_thumb.jp

Level 3 Human Monk

STR 8, DEX 4, STA 7, CON 8, WIS 6, CHA 5

Current Challenge

“Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight."

-Johnny Cash

Best of luck in your challenges Chrissa! I think you have some really good overall goals but need to refine them so that they are more measurable. Be careful that you dont set yourself up with unattainable goals, that can be really depressing (I speak from experience on that one).   :) 

Current Challenge 

Level 1 Dwarven Monk

Str: 3 Dex: 3 Sta: 2 Con: 2  Wis: 3  Cha:  2

Welcome Chrissa! I think your goals are well thought out and you come across as this being something you really want... so keep that up, and I think you'll persevere through this challenge. :D For the snacking in between meals, I normally have the same problem... especially sweet tooth binges. The post-binge guilt is worse than the actual binge, though. If you slip, you slip -- we all do it -- there's no point in lingering on it. Just pick yourself up and go back to eating clean. (For example, the other day I ate an entire tub of ice cream... Because I'm Canadian, can't take summer heat and was sick. :P And yeah, I felt crappy afterwards but I ate healthy the day after and now I'm ready to start my challenge clean. :) ) What helps me is just distractions. Keep yourself busy with whatever you have to do or whatever you enjoy doing and junky snacks should stay away.

For the other two, I'm a bit uncertain about how to go through them/measure them, but you've got time to sort it out. Good luck!

Welcome Chrissa! I think your goals are well thought out and you come across as this being something you really want... so keep that up, and I think you'll persevere through this challenge. :D For the snacking in between meals, I normally have the same problem... especially sweet tooth binges. The post-binge guilt is worse than the actual binge, though. If you slip, you slip -- we all do it -- there's no point in lingering on it. Just pick yourself up and go back to eating clean. (For example, the other day I ate an entire tub of ice cream... Because I'm Canadian, can't take summer heat and was sick. :tongue: And yeah, I felt crappy afterwards but I ate healthy the day after and now I'm ready to start my challenge clean. :) ) What helps me is just distractions. Keep yourself busy with whatever you have to do or whatever you enjoy doing and junky snacks should stay away.

For the other two, I'm a bit uncertain about how to go through them/measure them, but you've got time to sort it out. Good luck!

My fellow Canadian! I'm in Northern Alberta. Hopefully this challenge will prove to be enough of a distraction to keep me on track. It will definitely help to have others around to keep me accountable.

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

“Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight."

-Johnny Cash

Best of luck in your challenges Chrissa! I think you have some really good overall goals but need to refine them so that they are more measurable. Be careful that you dont set yourself up with unattainable goals, that can be really depressing (I speak from experience on that one).   :)

Any suggestions? Like I said, I'm not sure what is reasonable for WtH ratio but any reduction would make me happy. As for the first goal it's hard because it's something I have to feel inside myself. Increasing the speed of my techniques is pretty straight forward. I just need to do them at double my normal speed. The snacking one is pretty simple because I just need to eat my 3 main meals a day and brush my teeth right after, avoiding eating anything in between but allowing one planned snack when I have a really intense class or workout and feel it's needed. I will be tracking my meals on My Fitness Pal so anyone can friend me there and see what I'm eating to help give me pointers and criticism as needed.

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

Nice to see another hapkido practitioner in the monastery.  It's a rare enough style that it's hard to find people outside of my own club that practice it.

I wish I could give you advice about focusing your ki.  My club focuses very heavily on the external aspects of hapkido, and the grand master only speaks of it when one of the black belts display evidence of its use.  That hasn't happened for me yet, though I've only had my black for a few months.

Practice, dedication and determination will certainly see you through it.  Good luck.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Hapkido is rare? Couldn't tell from in here. :D

Anyway, did some homework on your WHR. Apparently, for aesthetic purposes, a Waist:Hip Ratio of .7:1; in other words, you want your waist measurement to be 70% of your hip measurement.

I dunno how much that helps, but it does give you a target to aim at. But you know, do it when you have the rest of your life balanced out again. You'll get there. :)

welcome to the monks.

just some suggestions. and I am sure there will be some other great ones

First off forget about the hip waist ratio for this challenge.  As you get fit this will work itself out.  you may find that for hapkido the way your body ends up might not fit the mold of a hip waist ratio that society foists on you but by all means if that is something you want work towards it

Attack speed aggression Ki.

I would split this into three parts of the challenge.  one part would be to make sure you attend X amount of classes and pester higher ranking belts to throw you around some.For the Ki aspect I recommend slow motion techniques with your eyes closed.  This really helps me on my forms. I do Taekwondo and have done some Hapkido (both Korean) as well.  When you let other senses get the upper hand over vision it helps on a deeper level

the second part would be to do some Body Weight Work out (BWW) routine to build strength X number times a week

the third High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) to focus on speed X number times a week

Stress eating is a Dragon that is hard to slay.  As a chef I understand the challenge you face there.  It is habitual, chemical, societal, comforting, emotional it is everything.  The thing that has helped me is staying plenty hydrated and green apples take care of the sugar craving in a good way for me.  The key is to plan ahead and set yourself up for success.  This can be measure by either plan for X number of successful days of planning, hydration, good snacking or allowing a limited number of failures per week

However you develop the challenge realize that living takes priority and sometimes takes control and throws everything into a blender and screws it up but what you are looking for are little positive steps that will build up into good habits over the long term.

For the WHR, having an aim is great but don't get hung up on 'perfect' ratios - 7:1 might be impossible depending on your body shape (where you're naturally predisposed to lose/ retain weight). But you can definitely measure cms/ inches lost off your waist! This tends no naturally improve the ratio anyway, although I have no idea what's a realistic loss for 6 weeks.

There's so much I can identify with in your goals, I think you actually inspired me to join this challenge even though I hadn't planned to. Either way I'll be following and cheering you on for sure!

Always kick higher

Nice to see another hapkido practitioner in the monastery.  It's a rare enough style that it's hard to find people outside of my own club that practice it.

I wish I could give you advice about focusing your ki.  My club focuses very heavily on the external aspects of hapkido, and the grand master only speaks of it when one of the black belts display evidence of its use.  That hasn't happened for me yet, though I've only had my black for a few months.

Practice, dedication and determination will certainly see you through it.  Good luck.

Congrats on your black belt! That's a really big accomplishment and I hope to earn mine by the time I'm 40 but since I'm 37 now that will be cutting it close. Our school is very traditional, we mainly focus on kicks and techniques with some throwing and flys. Most of our ki work is breathing exercises during warm up and strong use of ki-yies when we kick. My ki-yie is loud but poorly timed on release one of my fellow students has noticed. I'm trying to work on feeling the energy release when I kick or strike. Thanks for the encouragement, I rarely miss a class even if I'm not up to going and I've felt like wanting to quit a few times but I refuse to give in. I'm really dedicating myself with this challenge.

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

welcome to the monks.

just some suggestions. and I am sure there will be some other great ones

First off forget about the hip waist ratio for this challenge.  As you get fit this will work itself out.  you may find that for hapkido the way your body ends up might not fit the mold of a hip waist ratio that society foists on you but by all means if that is something you want work towards it

Attack speed aggression Ki.

I would split this into three parts of the challenge.  one part would be to make sure you attend X amount of classes and pester higher ranking belts to throw you around some.For the Ki aspect I recommend slow motion techniques with your eyes closed.  This really helps me on my forms. I do Taekwondo and have done some Hapkido (both Korean) as well.  When you let other senses get the upper hand over vision it helps on a deeper level

the second part would be to do some Body Weight Work out (BWW) routine to build strength X number times a week

the third High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) to focus on speed X number times a week

Stress eating is a Dragon that is hard to slay.  As a chef I understand the challenge you face there.  It is habitual, chemical, societal, comforting, emotional it is everything.  The thing that has helped me is staying plenty hydrated and green apples take care of the sugar craving in a good way for me.  The key is to plan ahead and set yourself up for success.  This can be measure by either plan for X number of successful days of planning, hydration, good snacking or allowing a limited number of failures per week

However you develop the challenge realize that living takes priority and sometimes takes control and throws everything into a blender and screws it up but what you are looking for are little positive steps that will build up into good habits over the long term.

I'll take your advice and drop the WTH ratio for now since it does seem more like a side effect for the rest I'll be doing.

I rarely if at all miss classes, I'm there more than most of our black belts but because of their work schedules they rotate in and out a lot. We have classes every Tues and Thurs from Sept through June so our semester ends soon but over the summer they hold occasional weekend classes that I always attend, work permitting. I am also hoping to be able to attend a summer camping weekend for some outdoor training. Again, if work permits. Right now, daily my routine is 5 minutes breathing meditation, hapkido warm up for mobility, 100 kick workout (10 each of front, side, roundhouse and inside/outside circle kicks done quickly as possible) with a morning walk or light run to the 7-11 for a newspaper (about 3km round trip) with Burpee Ladders (with extra pushups added in) on Sunday as my HIIT, Monday and Saturday is active rest days so I go cycling or walk as much as possible, Tuesday and Thursdays I have Hapkido and Wednesdays and Fridays I started doing Steve's Basic Training from the Nerd Fitness Guides. I'll revise my goal to making sure to keep up this routine and track it throughout the challenge especially since I'll be going on vacation in the beginning of July so I'll have to keep it up. When my classes stop I plan to use those days to do 400 kick workouts and a full set of techniques with some break falls in my backyard and maybe do some flys into the water at the beach.

As for snacking, I am drinking at least 3 full 750ml bottles of water a day currently and a few cups of plain tea (mostly herbal but some green, white, and black teas) and 1 caffeinated coffee per day with sometimes a few cups of decaf. I think getting in the habit of brushing after every meal will help a lot and tracking my eating will keep me accountable but I hope to be able to not need the tracking on My Fitness Pal forever because it does become tedious and time consuming and I know I'll eventually give up if I try to keep it up. I am just using it to train myself on portioning my food and see what is reasonable in a day.

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

Looks real solid. You are already doing what is needed it seems. The fun and accountability of you being here with the monks should benefit us all.

Always a bonus when you can turn training into beach fun.

For the WHR, having an aim is great but don't get hung up on 'perfect' ratios - 7:1 might be impossible depending on your body shape (where you're naturally predisposed to lose/ retain weight). But you can definitely measure cms/ inches lost off your waist! This tends no naturally improve the ratio anyway, although I have no idea what's a realistic loss for 6 weeks.

There's so much I can identify with in your goals, I think you actually inspired me to join this challenge even though I hadn't planned to. Either way I'll be following and cheering you on for sure!

Wow, I actually inspired somebody! If you want a buddy for this challenge I'd be glad to join up with you and we can help push each other to do our best. I plan on going all-in and definitely will be grateful for your support either way. I'm so excited like I have finally lit a fire inside myself and it's growing bigger the more I interact with everyone here. Let's do this!

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

My fellow Canadian! I'm in Northern Alberta. Hopefully this challenge will prove to be enough of a distraction to keep me on track. It will definitely help to have others around to keep me accountable.

Sweeeet. I've only visited Calgary up there when I was a kid but I absolutely adored it. And I think this challenge will. :) Seems like you've gotten the advice you need to get started. Here's to the next 6 weeks!

Ok, so full disclosure: Last night before the challenge started I went on a horrible binge knowing that I'll regret it and I do. This time I recorded it on my food diary, everything that I should not have eaten. I hate myself for it and it seems to be another bad habit of mine-going on a junk bender right before a new program start. I tell myself it's to get it all out of my system now but it normally would never go into my system in the first place. This is a bad thing that I need to remedy or I will never loose my muffin top. That being said, I got up this morning determined to start off on the right foot again and what a great start it was.

I did my usual 5 minutes of meditation followed by my hapkido stretches to limber up for the day before sitting down to a cup of hot water with Midori Greens (similar to matcha tea with some added good stuff) while I completed what I didn't finish here last night before bed on my challenge. Then I made a reasonable breakfast, sat and ate it with my husband without any distractions while we enjoyed a nice conversation and a cup of coffee. When I finished I remembered to brush my teeth to signal eating was done for now. We walked up to the Hilltop Park nearby where I did a short 5 min warm-up and he held a hand pad for me while I went through my 100 kick workout complete with ki-yies. His comments on the weaker kicks of mine really helped and when I explained to him the proper form for each of the kicks I had done he was able to give me more feedback. I ended up doing a whole extra set of kicks and some hand strikes then finished it off with some spinning kicks. It felt awesome. I am going to try making a weekly video of my practice so I can better see any progress. Before we could go for the paper run I got called into work early, so I missed that but made up for it later when I got off work an hour early and walked to the grocery store, returning with a very heavy box in hand that I had to carry the whole way home (about 1.5km). At work (remember I work with food all day) I managed not to snack at all and only ate my lunch which was very satisfying before ducking into the washroom to brush again. The time I usually have the most trouble is the afternoon when it slows down. I made a cup of tea and did some extra cleaning to keep myself busy and I was fine. Tonight I got out the bbq and made a really great meal. Again, we ate it without distraction and enjoyed it very much. After planning out our meals for the next few days I had another cup of decaf and updated my food diary before brushing for the last time tonight. I would call that an encouraging first day and I am determined to kick some serious behind on this challenge.

Sorry for being long-winded on my first update. Future ones will be way shorter and hopefully with some media. Go ahead, look at the damage I did yesterday because that is what I am going to leave behind. I refuse to be defeated like that again. Today I am unstoppable.

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

Chrissa, I want you to do me a huge favour.  Take a step back from your emotional response to your stress eating.  It's a bad habit and you're working on changing it.  You wrote it all down.  It is not a shame reminder.  Negative reinforcement is not part of the monastery.  You wrote it down and you can remind yourself that it is something you don't want to do any more.  You know what it is and you know why you did it.  Before you can change a pattern in your life, you have to recognize and acknowledge that it is there.  You did that.  You took that hardest first step.

A victory, however small, is still a victory.  We take these and move forward so that you can make larger ones later.  

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

I totally agree with the tall wise one above. I also know that I would have had exactly the same reaction as you had I had that one-last-binge before the challenge (and I very nearly did), so I can only sympathise! But you're on a better track now.

Every time I hear of people practicing MA with their other half I get all warm fuzzy feelings (and a slight twinge of jealousy) - that's a really great thing to have!

Always kick higher

Chrissa, I want you to do me a huge favour.  Take a step back from your emotional response to your stress eating.  It's a bad habit and you're working on changing it.  You wrote it all down.  It is not a shame reminder.  Negative reinforcement is not part of the monastery.  You wrote it down and you can remind yourself that it is something you don't want to do any more.  You know what it is and you know why you did it.  Before you can change a pattern in your life, you have to recognize and acknowledge that it is there.  You did that.  You took that hardest first step.

A victory, however small, is still a victory.  We take these and move forward so that you can make larger ones later.  

Thanks for that. I know that I am always so hard on myself and I need to ease up a bit. I seem to be taking that first step a lot lately because I have been practicing mindfulness. I'm not very sure where those steps are leading but as long as I'm moving forward I'll keep going.

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

I totally agree with the tall wise one above. I also know that I would have had exactly the same reaction as you had I had that one-last-binge before the challenge (and I very nearly did), so I can only sympathise! But you're on a better track now.

Every time I hear of people practicing MA with their other half I get all warm fuzzy feelings (and a slight twinge of jealousy) - that's a really great thing to have!

My husband isn't into MA at all, but he lets me use him as a practice dummy for techniques and such because right now he's all I got outside of class. Hopefully before class ends for summer I can enlist one of my fellow students or the black belt who lives near me to help with my practices so I can continue improving. I'm going to mention it tonight in class.

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

My husband isn't into MA at all, but he lets me use him as a practice dummy for techniques and such because right now he's all I got outside of class. 

I'd be very happy with someone who just let me kick him for practice. :)

Well done on tracking even when the diet side is less than glorious btw. I tend not to on those days (I excel at avoidance coping). If you want a My Fitness Pal friend let me know and I'll inbox you my username there!

Always kick higher

Sorry there was no post yesterday, as I had a really hectic day but I didn't let it be an excuse to keep up the good fight. Operation No Snack was a complete success, the afternoon tea at work and brushing is really helping! I managed my morning meditation and warm-up stretches, but knowing I had hapkido skipped the extra kick workout because I had to go into work an hour early. I had a really tiring day and was looking forward to dinner and hapkido when I got home to discover my husband had been dealing with a harder day. His dad fell and cut open his head and he was helping his mom take care of him. His head is okay but his health has been declining the past few weeks to a point he looses motor function. It happened again and long story short, we had to call the ambulance. Mom went to the hospital with him and I offered to stay home with my husband so he wasn't alone to worry but he encouraged me to go to class. I was seriously freaked out worried about dad but I thought of my goals and went anyways. My husband was playing Terraria when I left. I got to class a total nervous wreck afraid that I was going to cry in the middle of class and let the black belt that was instructing know I was in a poor mental state so I may need to take a breather during class. He really helped me out by starting with our breathing exercises. By the time warm-up was finished my head had cleared a little and I enjoyed the feel of doing the normal routine. I felt more energy in my kicks last night, releasing my stress into them and felt way better and very sweaty by the end of class. I'm so glad I went last night. Today is a new day, and I didn't sleep very well last night but after my basic training today I am going to try to take a nap since I work the close shift.

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines