I need a non-Ranger friend to do this week's Ranger mini-challenge:

Your challenge this week is three fold:

1) Make a friend in a different guild!

2) Make measurable progress towards ONE of your challenge goals. 

3) Learn something new from your new buddy. 

If there's anyone that wants to team up with me on Paleo diet goals, weight-lifting/push-ups/pull-ups goals, running or flexibility goals. I've been trying to transition into near-barefoot running and have been having problems with my calves locking up, so if anyone has some suggestions on that for example? Or my weight training isn't progressing into actual weight increases or gains, anyone with good advice on how to work a good routine into my schedule would be appreciated?

Thanks!!

Garrett - Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge | Accountibilibuddy Group: Military Nerds | PvP Challenge: Pull-ups
First Challenge

STR 6 | DEX 1 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 6 | CHA 6
“Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.â€

- Optimus Prime

I've been trying to transition into near-barefoot running and have been having problems with my calves locking up, so if anyone has some suggestions on that for example?

Ask the Scouts in their forum. I'm sure they can help.

Level 1 Avatar

'That's all I've got. It's pretty much my whole identity. Dr3wcifer: the meat and sarcasm guy.'

The Avatar's current 6WC

Run 30min 4x/wk     |     Stretch 30min 4x/wk

I could help with paleo-diet related stuff. While I'm not exactly doing it perfect right now, I do know plenty about it.

I don't run a ton, but I do run and do all my workouts in Vibrams. It think its really jusrt a transition, and it will be different for everyone depending on what you were wearing before switching to minimalist shoes.

Gllarso- if your calves are locking up, have you tried not supporting your entire weight on your forefoot? the best way i have found is to land on my forefoot, and instead of trying to keep all my weight on my toes, i let my heel come down and support my weight. Not sure if you've checked yet, but look up "Barefoot kenbob" i learned alot about running just by reading things on his site. 

Im about to transition into my first true barefoot running shoes, going from NB minimus' into Merrell Trail gloves.

I was born a fool and haven't improved much since. - Lattie Tipton

Dwarven Ranger Level 1

STR:3 DEX:2 STA:3

CON:3 WIS:2 CHA:2

My calves never locked up, but I was running on a fairly small drop shoe before I started running with the Brooks PureDrifts.  They were still lit on FIRE but that was expected...

I think it's just getting miles on the shoes that will make the biggest difference.  And stretching.  And bananas.

Level 1 Nord Ranger

Stats: TBD

Runkeeper | MyFitnessPal

been busy over here, taking a break from lifting for a week as much as i dont want to, to ease an aggravated shoulder. and I just got my first pair of true barefoot running shoes, Merrell Trail gloves, so ill be spending the rest of the week watching my diet and logging some miles to break in my feet.

Dwarven Ranger Level 1

I got a coupon for a running shoe store.  Debating if my third (!) pair of running shoes should be another minimalist or another traditional.  Right now I bounce back and forth between my Brooks PureDrifts and my Saucony Kinvaras.  I'm considering getting a trail shoe, specifically for the GoRuck, but there's not really any trails around Parris Island and Beaufort, at least none with any considerable distance.

Thoughts?

Level 1 Nord Ranger

Runkeeper | MyFitnessPal

I got a coupon for a running shoe store.  Debating if my third (!) pair of running shoes should be another minimalist or another traditional.  Right now I bounce back and forth between my Brooks PureDrifts and my Saucony Kinvaras.  I'm considering getting a trail shoe, specifically for the GoRuck, but there's not really any trails around Parris Island and Beaufort, at least none with any considerable distance.

Thoughts?

Run the trails twice! :P

In my experience New Balance have the best trail shoes. I have the Trail Alphas and I love them, very good grip on rock, dirt, sand, mud, even concrete and wood floors. And they're minimus! And on trails you'll appreciate the lighter minimus. But the absolute best shoe for trails and it can withstand a heavy pack without wearing out, boots. Good military boots will get you there.

I've heard Inov-8, and Merell Trail Gloves are really solid minimal and traditional.

Hope this helps!

hey guys just checking in, my weight has refused to move, since the beginning of the 6WC, but ive been good on my other goals. Actually got a surprise BF % test yesterday and dropped a percent so i guess thats something positive. 

Dwarven Ranger Level 1

hey guys just checking in, my weight has refused to move, since the beginning of the 6WC, but ive been good on my other goals. Actually got a surprise BF % test yesterday and dropped a percent so i guess thats something positive. 

Decreasing BF% is better than decreasing weight, IMO, so good job! Almost done.

Level 1 Avatar

'That's all I've got. It's pretty much my whole identity. Dr3wcifer: the meat and sarcasm guy.'

The Avatar's current 6WC

Run 30min 4x/wk     |     Stretch 30min 4x/wk

Ok guys and gals, I bunked this 6WC, I'm not even giving myself a level or anything because of how bad I failed it...  However, I'm reviving the Accountabilibuddy group in the current 6WC, along with my motivation for it.  Head on over there and GET SOME!

Level 1 Nord Ranger

Runkeeper | MyFitnessPal

Just checking in to say hi. Coast Guard reservist here, just hit the 6 year mark. We have a lousy PT test, but my last scores (in April) were: 12:49 1.5 mile run, 35 push-ups, 40 sit-ups. I can do exactly one pull-up. I joined CrossFit about a month ago and I'm working to be in better shape, alternating three days of that with three days of Zombies, Run! training.

Level 3 Male Half-Elven RangerSTR:5 DEX:6 STA:8 CON:8 WIS:6 CHA:6

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines