The Epigone's first challenge!

Alright, I'm setting out on my first adventure with nerd fitness. Stoked to level up in life! My goal is to improve my general fitness, both strength and endurance, as well as achieving some life goals I'm tempted to procrastinate about.

GOAL 1: Full-body workouts, at least twice a week (+2 STR, +1 Dex, +2 STA)

In keeping with the goal of increasing strength and endurance in a balanced way, I've got two workouts I've been doing for a couple weeks. One is a weight-training group class at my gym, and the other is the Angry Birds Workout. Either of these counts as one, and I'll be doing them at least twice every week.

Grading: Each missed workout is -1 letter grade and -1 stat point. No stats for F.

GOAL 2: A Pull-up. Just one. (+3 STR)

I can't do a pull-up. I'm tall and skinny and have very little upper-body strength, so it would be a big step just to gain the strength to do one. I'll be doing jump-reversals and assisted pull-ups until I can do a proper one.

A( +3 STR) 1 pull up

B(+2.25 STR) 3 sets of 5 negative pull ups

C(+1.5 STR)3 sets of 8 assisted chinups

D(+.75 STR)3 sets of 8 body weight rows at 45 degree angle

F(+0 STR) 0 effort no body rows.

Thanks to Iamatt122, I stole his grading for the "first pull-up" challenge.

GOAL 3: Snacking better. (+2 CON)

My workplace is full of snacks that are terrible for me. Tons of chocolate, chips and pop always there. This is probably the worst part of my diet, so I'm targeting it by bringing in nuts, fruit and yogurt to work to replace them. I'm going to cut the regular work snacks completely for the whole challenge.

Grading: Each fail is -1 letter. C, D = only +1 CON.

GOAL 4: Read a book - level up professionally (+2 WIS)

Looking towards future career goals, I've been meaning to start reading about team leadership in the software development world. This goal is simple. Within 6 weeks I will find a relevant book, buy it, read it and make some notes on how to apply it in the workplace.

Grading: C/+1 Wis if I buy a book and get started.

GOAL 5: Acquire health pots (+2 CON, +1 CHA)

I recently moved and I'm lacking a family doctor, dentist and optometrist in my new city. I've been slacking on looking for them, so I'll make it a goal to find all three of these before the challenge is up.

Grading:

2/3 = B, +2 stats

1/3 = D, +1 stat

That's it for me! I think my goals are pretty straightforward and achievable. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to crush these goals and level up.

Any of you more experienced challengers, let me know if there are any glaring flaws in my goals - I want to get the most out of this so I'd appreciate advice :)

The Epigone, level 2 High Elf Wizard (Adventurer)

STR 6, DEX 3, STA 4, CON 5, WIS 5.5, CHA 4.5

Challenge 1

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17

For goal 3, I have dried fruit in my desk drawer. It stays fresh-there in a pinch. Also, pumpkin seeds. I love them and it always tastes like Halloween.

Bavarian Ranger -- Level twoStrength 5 Dexterity 4 Stamina 5 Constitution 1 Wisdom 5 Charisma 5 My Epic Quest Challenge #1  Current Challenge

Future goal inspiration from Kurt Vonnegut "Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops.â€

First day of the challenge, off to a good start. Dodgeball after work and did a couple negative pull-ups. I want to try to do those as often as possible.

Next 2 days will be really busy so the full body workouts are out of the question. I'll have to get them both done on Thursday and Saturday.

Challenge 1

Good to hear things are off to a good start!

As for avoid workplace snacks, I also find trying to avoid the area with the snacks or not joining in on the "cake days" or special treat days...just being in the kitchen/break room is too tempting. :)

As a fellow Soundtrekker, I look forward to following your progress.  Feel free to swing by the group thread sometime: http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/30812-soundtrekkers-unite/

Ian Fin 8 - Lvl 1 Slow Mutant Rebel

Current Challenge - Attempting the Dark Tower: Part 1
Accountabilibuddies - Browncoats

"I'm an important person you see. I have a tower."  Valentine - "MirrorMask"

Another update incoming!

Day 2 of the challenge was, as a suspected, a bit crazy with a release deadline at work - I was there till after midnight. Yesterday I did only a couple negative pull-ups since I didn't have much time.

Tonight was the Angry Birds workout:

Squats - 71

Push-ups - 16 (didn't do the second set, my chest was really sore for some reason after the first...)

Knees bent body-weight pull ups:

Underhand - 2

Overhand - 7

Plank - 2 minutes

As for the other goals, I've been good in terms of snacks so far, but I haven't yet made any progress on the book/doctors yet. Gotta get on that tomorrow.

Challenge 1

Good work man!  Keep rocking it!

As for finding a new Dr., when I moved to small town near SF I found this article and site, worked well enough:

http://lifehacker.com/5537206/doctor-finder-locates-and-reviews-your-new-doctor

Today I got in another workout, although it was a little weak - only one set of each.

Squats - 40

Push-ups - 15

Pull-up: 2 reverse, 15x15 bent over rows (bass guitar and case as a weight)

Plank - 1 min

So the week-end status is:

Goal 1: Success so far

Goal 2: No pull-up yet

Goal 3: Success so far

Goal 4: Didn't find a book yet

Goal 5: For the optometrist, I'm thinking of using the local University. Other than that not sure yet.

Challenge 1

So I had a dodgeball game last night - really fun but ended up with a very sore rotator cuff (I'm still not used to so much throwing, and apparently I need way more warmup).

Not sure how that's going to affect my workout tonight, lets hope not too much! I really want to hit the gym.

Challenge 1

How did the workout go?  I hear you on needing to warm up more.  I played volleyball a little while back and my right arm felt a little dead after playing for awhile.

I agree with lamatt122 - good to not push the shoulder too much and let it heal fully before using it normally in workouts. 

The arm was still really sore last night so I skipped the gym... gonna have to re-think the workouts a little to avoid strain on this arm for a bit. BTW the point where I have pain is down near the elbow, kinda the extreme end of that muscle. Apparently it's a fairly common throwing injury that comes from not warming up/bad throwing technique.

Challenge 1

Been a few days without updates, but I'm still here and still working my butt off on these challenges.

Thursday my elbow was still sore, so I skipped the pushups and pullups, just did some squats, plank and rows.

It felt a lot better by the weekend though, so tonight I went all-out. Even got my family to join in on the workout, which was fun.

Stats today:

Pushups: 17 + 17

Squats w/ 10 lbs weight: 30 + 30

Planks: 1:30 + 1:00

Rows 20lbs: 15

and one aaaalmost pull-up. Seriously, it was really close :P

Challenge 1

Ended up working out at home instead.

Stats!

Pull: 2 Assisted pull-ups, 1 assisted chin-up (feel like I might be getting close with these)

Pushups: 17

Squats: 25 + 25 (Without a real weight at home I did them holding a sword :D)

Plank: 60 seconds

And stretching beforehand for that weekly challenge :)

Challenge 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines