time to stop lurking and get stuck in!

CeeBee

Hi, 

I have been a long time reader of this website and decided it's time I took some action!

I love taekwondo, wing chun and yoga and have been training in all three for around 2.5 years (approx 10 hours a week in total). 

I am faced with a problem this summer however as I won't be at home and therefore I won't be able to continue with my usual classes. My teachers press on me the importance of training alone but this is something I have never been able to do. I think if there is no one there to push me I just don't bother at all. 

So my main goal for this 6 week challenge is to create the habit of training alone, in all 3 disciplines. I know I won't be able to dive in to 10 hours a week straight away though, but that's ok. 

My next goal is to make some adjustments to what I consume in terms of drinks. Currently my go to drink is diet coke which is accompanied with a lot of milky coffee, milky tea and rounded off at the weekends with beer and wine. Not much water involved or anything that won't rot my teeth.

My third and final goal (is it ok to just have 3?) is to sort out my digital life. It's a mess! Far too many folders, files, bookmarks, profiles, blogs, photos and general digital clutter. I need routine, order and systems in place to keep everything neat and tidy!

So to summarise:

Goal 1: 30 mins / day training alone in either TKD, WC or Yoga

Goal 2: Spring clean my drinking habits

Goal 3: Reorganise my digital life

Excited to see how it all goes!

Hi CeeBee; welcome to the monks!

Training on your own out of class is always as challenge, so well done for aiming to tackle that. Regarding your second and third goals; do you have any specific ways to measure your progress in those? E.g. max number of sodas/ day (or week), or hours per week spent reorganising files? It's always more motivating when you can see yourself hitting targets. :)

Always kick higher

Self training is the hardest easy thing to do. I am with you on that. It is also very beneficial though. One of my masters used to say class time is not practice time.

Good start for your first challenge. You can add one more goal though. The basic format is 3 fitness goals and 1 life goal.

That being said what you have should produce some goo results for you.

Welcome to the monks.

You can do only three goals if you like. It's about leveling up your life, and not necessarily about competition.

Anyway, yeah, gotta echo the self-practice sentiments. That stuff is hard to do. It's a good habit to get into, though: if nothing else, it'll sharpen the mind, make you more aware of what you're doing. Good luck!

Thanks to all the words of encouragement and to sheraciara - that might just be the best idea I've ever heard. I'd never even thought of doing that! That way I won't really be trying to start a new habit, I'd just be tweaking and maintaining an existing one! You're a genius 

Maybe if you are in the habit of doing the classes at a certain time then you could continue to set that time aside e.g. if you always go to TKD class on Monday 7-8, then do TKD on Monday at 7 until 8 o clock. 

Seconded. It's all about creating a link in your head between that certain time in the week and getting your practice in.

Good luck with your goals. I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress.

Yay! I'm so glad you liked it! I'm all about the slow adjustments of habits, I don't have the...something... to just blast in and change everything at once. Willpower? Focus? Right Nutritional Balance?! I'm not sure what the something is, but whatever it is I don't have it :D

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines