EmCarter - 6 Week Challenge Number One

Hi,

My name is Em and this is my first 6 week challenge.

I've got three goals that I want to achieve:

1. Eat a caloric deficit every weekday
  2. Stick to a cleaning and workout schedule
  3. Go from juggling 3 balls to juggling 5 in a standard cascade pattern.

The first two goals will be really important and really difficult in the coming weeks - I am returning from a week's leave tomorrow and I expect work to be extra-stupid-crazy, and there to be unpaid overtime involved. So motivation, energy and work-life boundaries will be key to keeping my head space right and stop me from eating a bag of chicos when I get annoyed at a programming problem.

On number 1, I'll be using a smart phone app to track my progress - I'll put the app to target no weight loss and post a weekly summary screen shot so it is easily apparent whether or not I am meeting that goal.

On number 2, I'll be trying to stick to the the following cleaning and workout schedule:

• Monday AM - Gym Strength
  • Tuesday AM - Run (C25K or the 10K bridging program, wherever I am at)
  • Tuesday PM - Alternate Bible Study/Body Balance gym class, Clean bathroom and loo
  • Wednesday AM - Gym Strength
  • Wednesday PM - Spin Class (except for the week when I have a church meeting), washing load
  • Thursday AM - Run
  • Thursday PM - Washing load
  • Friday - Rest Day, clean loo
  • Saturday AM - Gym Strength, Grocery Shop
  • Sunday AM - Run, washing load, vacuum/mop, dust, clean loo

On number 3, I'm planning to follow this training schedule:

• Week 1: Practice 3 ball juggle - aim for 60 seconds no problem
  • Week 2: Practice 2 ball one handed juggle - aim 30 seconds each hand
  • Week 3: Practice 3 and 2 ball juggling techniques
  • Week 4: Practice 4 ball asynchronous and synchronous juggling - aim for 60 seconds each technique
  • Week 5: Practice 5 ball cascade with 4 balls and clap - aim for 60 seconds
  • Week 6: 5 ball cascade - target 60 seconds!

Edit: On viewing other posts, decided to move my results to the top:

| %/Av | 3rd    4th    5th    6th    7th    8th    9th    10th   11th   12th   13th   14th   15th   16th

---------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goal 1:  | 1680 | 1913   1478   1981   1566   1527   -      -      1754   1830   1586   1587   1990   -      -

Goal 2.1:| 61.4 | -      2/2    1/1    1/1    1/1    1/1    1.5/4  -      2/2    1/1    1/1    0/1    1/1    1/4

Goal 2.2:| 83.3 | 0.5/1  2/2    1/1    1/1    -      1/1    1/1    1/1    0/1    2/2    1/1    -      1/1    1/1

|      | 17th   18th   19th   20th   21st   22nd   23rd   24th   25th   26th   27th   28th   29th   30th  

---------+------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goal 1:  |      | 1878   1015   1228   2181   1450   -      -      1626   1765   925    1721   2595   -      -

Goal 2.1 |      | -      1/2    1/1    1/1    0/1    1/1    1/4    -      0/1    1/1    1/1    0/1    1/1    

Goal 2.2 |      | 1/1    1/1    1/2    1/1    -      1/1    0/1    1/1    0/1    2/2    1/1    -      1/1

Max 3 Ball Cascade: 29s

--- Level 3 Dwarf Adventurer ---

STR: 4.75 DEX: 2.25 STA: 7.5 CON: 3 WIS: 5, CHA: 2

Round 1 - Round 2 - 6 Week Challenge Round 3!

It occurs to me after reading other people's challenges that I need some sort of scale for judging success.

Goal 1: Caloric deficit

• A - Average 1600 per weekday, under 2000 every weekday
  • B - Average 1800 per weekday, under 2000 every weekday
  • C - Average 2000 per weekday
  • F - Average of 2000 per weekday exceeded

Goal 2: Cleaning and Fitness Schedule

• A - 90%+ success
  • B - 80%+ success
  • C - 70%+ success
  • F - Less than 70% success

Goal 3: Juggling

• A - Get to 5 ball cascade - 60 seconds
  • B - 4 ball asynchronous and synchronous juggling - 60 seconds
  • C - 4 ball asynchronous OR synchronous juggling - 60 seconds
  • D - 2 ball one handed juggle - 60 seconds each hand
  • F - None of the above

What do you think? Too easy? Too hard?

My mom would surely love it if I had some cleaning involved in my plans... Oh, well... Your house is sure to be happy with that!

Hooraay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Juggling!!!!!!!

I wish you super-duper-ultra-mega-hyper-master-good luck with that!

Oh, isn't juggling a wonderful thing?

Someday I'll have to try to move forward from my 3-ball cascade too, but not quite right now... Anyway, it is a wonderful and very honorable thing to value the ancient and mysterious (or something like that) arts of juggling. I really hope you get an A on that, and on everything else, of course.

A friendly bear hug to you!

Hey EmC

I am envious of your juggling prowess! I will be working on 2 ball left hand to try to get the fake cascade 4 ball thing happening. As well as relearning old tricks.

I am wondering if you could split the workout and cleaning goals into two. I know I'd hit the workout goal and take the points but the cleaning is where I'd struggle. If they are separate you can see how it works and not lose points for dipping out on the hardest one for you. But you may have your reasons, and that's just fine too!

Aussie Bush Ranger - Training with the Monks

'I'll fight but not surrender', cried the wild colonial... GRRL!

Project 365 - Becoming BatGirl

Current Challenge

I am wondering if you could split the workout and cleaning goals into two. I know I'd hit the workout goal and take the points but the cleaning is where I'd struggle. If they are separate you can see how it works and not lose points for dipping out on the hardest one for you. But you may have your reasons, and that's just fine too!

That seems like quite a good idea!

I'll use the same ranking system and call them goal 2.1 and 2.2!

Okay, last thing I noticed after reading other posts. I need to assign points!

Goal 1: Caloric Deficit. CON +4

Goal 2.1: Cleaning (eep! tricky!) CON +2, STA +2 (con because less dust == less allergy, sta because it's an energy and focus thing)

Goal 2.2: Gym/Running Schedule! STA +2 DEX +1 STR +1

Goal 3: Juggling - All charisma I'm sure! CHA +3

Day 2 Completed:

Ran in the morning, C25K week 8 run 1, nearly there!

Went to Body Balance class.

Achieved a caloric deficit (net 1478/2000)

Got my juggling three ball cascade up to 21 seconds.

Cleaned the bathroom and dunny. Sink and loo sparkle, shower screen still needs work. At the risk of sounding like a cleaning ad, "I just can't move that stubborn soap grime!". Oh well, by the end of the 6 week challenge I'm gonna make it sparkle so hard I'ma gonna need sunnies to take my shower. Sparkle dammit!

Win win win for today!

Week 1 finished.

Goal 1: Calories. Not as good as I would like, a bit close some days. On Friday I found myself with a $2 coin in my hand walking out to the vending machine before I stopped and realised what I was doing. I wished I'd shown that restraint on other days. On one hand, I'm glad I decided not to count weekends, because Saturday was a SHOCKER, but I also feel like that might have been a bit of a cop-out.

Goal 2.1: Cleaning. Good most days except for the weekend - which is funny because that's when I have the most time! I guess I gotta get that 'I got plenty of time' mindset outta my head. Still, my house is generally looking a lot cleaner than usual, and I've gotten on top of a few other jobs which have been outstanding for a while.

Goal 2.2: Exercise. Excellent! I finished the C25K program on Sunday and rewarded myself with a nice new pair of runners  :peaceful: . Also pretty stoked with my gym sessions, I pushed most of my dumbbell exercises up another kilogram this week. I have decided that I'm going to move my Monday gym strength session to the evening, because that is when my favourite trainer is around at the gym.

Goal 3: Juggling is going slowly - I'm considering bringing my juggling balls to work and practising during lunch breaks. However, our office is fairly open plan and it will draw a lot of attention. They are also having a bit of a crackdown on 'professionalism' in my department. Actually, after thinking about the last point as I'm typing, I really want to bring my juggling balls to work now.

Actually, after thinking about the last point as I'm typing, I really want to bring my juggling balls to work now.

Do it! You know you want to...

Great work on the first week. Personally, the most valuable thing about these challenges is the learning you do about yourself. The motivation is awesome too, but I believe it is the tweaks and slow changes, the advice and sudden blinding clarity of your own situation that make the difference in the long term to level up your life.

Hit that week two right between the eyes EC!

Current Challenge

Keep at it!

I watched some videos on training for 5 ball cascades and tried the three ball flash/splash(?)... My technique has gotten so bad that I had no hope of catching them after and the cat had to dodge a more frequent than usual shower of balls!

Current Challenge

Poor cat! You should get a dog, that way they'll bring the balls back!

Ah, what am I talking about. My dog just runs off with my juggling balls if she gets them.

I got back into the juggling tonight. I haven't gotten any longer in duration with the three ball, I kind of decided to work on the way I seem to turn roam the room in an anti clockwise direction when I juggle - stuck my knees against my bed and didn't move! Also made it a little easier to retrieve the juggling balls. I also decided to bite the bullet and start to learn the 2 handed anyhow, even though I'm only at about 30 seconds for 2 hand 3 ball.

In other news, recording everything I eat (and actually reviewing it now) has yielded some interesting results - my 'just one won't hurt' fun size chocolate bars have been adding up. I think I'm gonna need to make more of an effort to keep away from them.

I'ma also dreading getting up at 5:30 to run tomorrow. Adelaide has gotten scary cold all of a sudden, it was 4 degrees Celsius in my area this morning, tomorrow will be 5! Eeep. Wait, what's that noise? Oh, that's the sound of Rebels from Canberra laughing at me in their sub-zero city of roundabouts. 5:30 AM it is! Bring it!

Back on the grid.

Some lowlights of the last week and a half:

• The first time I tipped 2181 calories. I had an 11 hour day at work. Despite having a packed healthy lunch, I overslept and thought I'd get a Hungry Jacks (the aussie version of Burger King) breakfast, cause I thought, hey, it looks like it's mostly protein, should be fine. By the time I'd added a juice to that mix, and the protein shake I'd had after my run, I'd consumed 974 calories before 10am. I also thought that day, I'll get a packet of Jaffas from the cafeteria. If I start running out of steam about 5PM, I'll just have a couple of jaffas. I had eaten the whole packet by two. Shame.
  • The second time I tipped over 2000 calories - Going out for lunch with my work colleagues, then going to my folks place for tea. Events in themselves that I could compensate for, but together, they were unstoppable. Plus mum gave me a 'Weight Watchers' toffee pecan sundae. I really should have been worried as soon as I saw the word 'Weight Watchers' on the top, but I was just so excited about ice cream, I ate it anyhow. Without taking lactese either, so I had a massive upset stomach.
  • My juggling balls are gathering dust.

Some highlights:

• Started the 10k bridging program, super awesome!
  • Getting up to run on the morning of the 18th to run at 5:30AM, and finding myself in running through a fog, with the Silver Sun Pickups 'Dream at Tempo 119' playing through my ipod. Epic and atmospheric run. 
  • New strength workout at the gym, increasing sets, lowering reps, focusing more on body weight and free weights rather than machines.
  • Not losing weight, but had to get my mum to punch some new holes in my work belt.

I now cannot get higher than a C for goal one, and I am currently not passing for my cleaning schedule. Also I haven't even got through one of my juggling goals.

But no moping. Gonna just hit it hard. After I make myself some lunch, gonna go hard and get my cleaning and run done. Hopefully I can even get out and even do a bit of gardening!

Gonna stop and juggle for 5-10 minutes after every 30 minutes of cleaning.

Maybe if I get cracking I could even fit in some Borderlands 2 before night church!

Some of those highlights are great though! Sounds like an epic run.

Look after yourself whilst you are sick, learn from the goals that are not working, do what you can and YAY on the belt! You are making change even if the goals aren't working as you'd hoped. Go you!!

Current Challenge

Results are in.

Goal 1 Calories: Average of 1817.13 Calories per weekday - C (CON+1)

Goal 2.1 Cleaning Schedule: Average completion rate of 62.71% - FAIL

Goal 2.2 Fitness Schedule: Average completion rate of 72.62% - C (STA+0.5, DEX+0.25, STR+0.25)

Goal 3 Juggling: Nothing accomplished - FAIL

A little disappointing at first glance, but I learnt some good stuff about what works and what doesn't in terms of schedule. Even though I didn't get stuff done exactly when scheduled, my house is cleaner now than when I started.

Closely monitoring my calorie intake as well has made me a lot more aware of what I eat and I've made some good positive steps to keep that in check.

Despite getting hit with the workplace bug that swept across our office like a really slow Mexican wave, I still had some good wins in the gym and on the road. I finished the C25K program during this challenge, and started a 10 km bridging program. I'm lifting more, running further, and feeling healthier. No weight loss, but I lost two belt buckle notches during the challenge (better than weight loss).

Results are in.

Closely monitoring my calorie intake as well has made me a lot more aware of what I eat and I've made some good positive steps to keep that in check.

I finished the C25K program during this challenge, and started a 10 km bridging program. I'm lifting more, running further, and feeling healthier.

No weight loss, but I lost two belt buckle notches during the challenge (better than weight loss).

Those are epic results for a first challenge! You learnt lots and certainly levelled up your life. Look forward to seeing what you plan for the next challenge :)

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines