Jcsimmons2's first challenge

I recently found NF was reading up on some of the blogs and such and found out about this challenge right before it started so i figured id give it a go.

Since this is my first time I figure I might as well create my toon.

I am 5' 11"

my starting weight is 210

Waist: 36"

Neck: 15"

BF%: 21 (USMC body composition)

Level 1 Nordic Adventurer (thinking of going ranger sometime in the future)

• Strength (STR) - 3
  • Dexterity (DEX) - 1
  • Stamina (STA) - 2
  • Constitution (CON) - 3
  • Wisdom (WIS) - 4
  • Charisma (CHA) - 2

My goals for this first challenge

lose 15 LBs

be able to do 10 pull ups in one set

be able to do one Handstand push up

Incorporate more stretching and yoga into my workouts to improve flexibility

eat less fried and greasy food and limit bread to one meal

My work out plan is as follows

MON - weight training and cardio

TUE - weight training and cardio

WED - Yoga

THU - Crossfit

FRI - Crossfit

SAT - Rest day or Crossfit

SUN - "Rest day" dynamic stretching

lose 15 LBs CHA +2 DEX +1 CON +1

A - 15+

B - 12/14

C - 10/12

D - 8/9

F - <7

be able to do 10 pull ups in one set STG +2

I can do ~10 chin ups in one set and two strict pull ups. I need to work on normal pull ups for a future goal of doing muscle ups.

A - 10+

B - 8/9

C - 6/7

D - 4/5

F - 2/3

be able to do one Handstand push up STG +2 DEX +1

I am starting to get into Crossfit and a lot of the WoDs feature handstand push ups

Pass/fail

Incorporate more stretching and yoga into my workouts to improve flexibility DEX +2

I am quite inflexible and always have been. Also I have a bad habit of not stretching enough post workout.

eat less fried and greasy food and limit bread to one meal CON+ 3 CHA +1

As I am currently in Afghanistan my food choices are limited and most of the "chow" here is fried or covered in oil and grease. so that means lots of tuna and veggies for this guy!

Pass/Fail "integrity check"

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"  - Conan

Quests

Handstands pushups are pretty amazing, and so is yoga. Uh, I think I should've thought of doing some stretching too, since I'm not very flexible.

Oh, well, anyway, good luck with your goals! And if you feel like you don't want to see fish anymore, think of the baby seals of north pole! They would surely want to eat that fish, so don't let it go to waste, mister!

(Are there seals in north pole?)

Don't feel so bad about the bread. Unless it's made with rice flour (and don't take my advice on bread, sine I'm slightly allergic to gluten).

Anyway, good luck with all of that!

(Sorry about the bad jokes)

Thanks! I've always wanted to be able to do a handstand and since I think Crossfit might be something I could really sink my teeth into. Since quite a few of the workouts include handstand push ups and MULTIPLE pull ups I figured I would begin to boost them both in this challenge. 

To give some background on myself. I am a former US Marine and since getting out I enjoyed not being forced to workout a little too much. Since getting out I have gotten a tad "soft." I am currently in Afghanistan as a contractor and have plenty of time to get back in "fighting" shape. I have been working out on and off again since I have been here. I usually am good until I hit the 2 month mark and my motivation to go plummets. I am hoping being an active member will not only allow me to "come out of my shell" as I am a huge introvert as well as keep my motivation going!

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"  - Conan

Quests

Day 1 complete!

Here is my supplement regime

Pre workout

MP Assault

Con-cret creatine

Durring/whenever

Scivation Xtend BCAA

Post workout

ON Whey Protein

everything else

OxyElite Pro

MP CLA

Animal Pack (multi)

ON Fish oil

Casein Protein  

next up is my meals for the day starting off a little heavy in the carbs department got to keep working on cutting those down!

Breakfast

three eggs

three strips of bacon

one sausage patty

Lunch

Spaghetti

Corn 

Mid afternoon

ON Whey Protein shake

Dinner 

Spaghetti

prior to bed 

ON Casiein Protein shake

As for my first day of this new workout plan I did Chest/Tris/Cardio. 

first weigh in at around 1355 was 208 so already off to a good start lets keep it going!

Cest:

Dumbell Press - set 1/ 30lbsx15 set 2 through 4 45Lbsx12

Dumbel incline press - Set 1 through 4 35Lbsx12

Cable crossovers - set 1 through 4 30Lbsx12

Dips (chest focus) body weight - set 1/ 5 reps set 2/ 4 reps set 3/ 3 reps set 4/ 2 reps

Tris:

Cable Tricep push down - set 1 through 3 60Lbsx12 set 4 60Lbsx9

Cable overhead tricep extension - set 1 through 4 45Lbsx12

Bench Dips (tricep focus) - set 1/ 12 reps set 2/ 10 reps set 3/ 8reps

25 minuets light cardio on the elliptical 

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Quests

With the Crossfit excercises i will be doing my pull ups should increase fairly quickly as long as I keep at it. 

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Quests

Hey, jcsimmons2! I'm making the rounds to say hi to all the #ZAP members and read their challenge threads.

Thank you for your service, former Marine! My challenge is mostly about getting fit for the Navy, so we're on opposite ends: you having left the service and needing to get in shape, and me joining it. :)

I am curious... what is a handstand pushup???

Lv. 1 Seagoat Humanoid Adventurer

STR 1 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 1 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

Navy fitness challenge

"Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up.

It is always tired morning, noon, and night." - Gen. Patton

Breakfast

three eggs

three strips of bacon

one sausage patty

Lunch

two small chicken fajitas

small portion of taco salad

Corn 

Mid afternoon

ON Whey Protein shake

Dinner 

small serving of general tso's chicken

meatloaf

mixed veggies

mid evening

one small apple

prior to bed 

ON Casiein Protein shake

work out

Pull ups 

5/2/2/2/2/2

Lat Pull downs 90Lbs

12/12/12/12

Low Row 90Lbs

10/10/8

straight arm pull downs 75Lbs

12/12/12/12

barbel curls

45 Lbsx10 55 Lbsx10 55Lbsx10

behind the back cable curl 30Lbs

5/6/5

barbell preacher curls 45Lbs

8/5/3

1500M row

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Quests

Coffeeminx are you enlisting or planning on going through OCS? Also do you have any idea what you want to do in the Navy?

I am curious... what is a handstand pushup???

A

is excatly what it sounds like first you do a handstand (supported on a wall or not) then you do an upside down shoulder press. 

It is incorperated in A LOT of Crossfit WoDs i have noticed which is why im attempting to learn them. 

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Quests

Day 3 is done!

breakfast

three eggs

three strips of bacon

one sausage patty

Lunch

Two grilled cheese sandwhiches

large serving of cucumbers and carrots

Dinner 

Garlic and herb tune

ON whey protein shake

Workout

1.5 hours of yoga (P90X)

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Quests

DAY FOUR DONE!!!

breakfast

three eggs

two strips of bacon

one sausage patty

Lunch

three BBQ ribs

medium Salad with bacon, eggs, carrots, onions, cucumbers and a packet of ranch

Mid afternoon

ON whey protein shake

Dinner 

three small slices of salami with two slices of swiss cheese

a small serving of rice with some sort of chicken hot dish (simmilar to that of whats in a potpie)

a small serving of a type of noodle casserole

Work out

500M row

---------------------------------

21-19-15-5 (reps of the following exercises)

Squats

Knees to elbows

squats

walking lunges

30Lb Kettlebell swings

---------------------------------

500M row 

completed in 31 minuets

I had to take quite a few breaks during the knees to elbows was my first time doing them and they hurt! I also had to take short breaks between each workout to catch my breath I shall do this again at the end of the 6 weeks to see how much I have improved! 

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Quests

Hello,

Strong goals , nice planning, nice motivation so far ^^

It's a dream of mine of being able to do a pull-up, respect that you're aiming for a set.

I had a quick look at crossfit site since I never heard about it.   Seems it's something like a 'beefed up form of parcour' ?  Not only running from zombies but being able to smash some into the ground while doing so :)

Nusuth Revamped

Current Challenge

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf 

Jon Kabat-Zinn

A quitter never wins and a winner never quits.

Napoleon Hill

Coffeeminx are you enlisting or planning on going through OCS? Also do you have any idea what you want to do in the Navy?

A

is excatly what it sounds like first you do a handstand (supported on a wall or not) then you do an upside down shoulder press. 

It is incorperated in A LOT of Crossfit WoDs i have noticed which is why im attempting to learn them. 

That handstand pushup is SO COOL. Totally rooting for you to do one. I just attempted a headstand (not handstand) with wall assistance yesterday for the first time in like... ten years. Didn't happen, but I feel like with a bit of practice it could!

I have some college credits but not a degree, so enlisted it is! I got my contract and swore in a couple weeks ago: my rate is CTI. :)

Lv. 1 Seagoat Humanoid Adventurer

STR 1 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 1 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

Navy fitness challenge

"Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up.

It is always tired morning, noon, and night." - Gen. Patton

DAY FIVE DONE!!!

breakfast

three eggs

two strips of bacon

one sausage patty

Lunch

Turkey cutlet

small serving of rice with a touch of gravy

two small dinner rolls

Mid afternoon

MyoPlex protein shake

Dinner 

two small fried chicken legs :(

one serving of shepards pie

Work out

Cindy - AMRAP 20 (As Many Rounds As Possible 20 minutes)

5 pull ups

10 Push ups

15 squats

I complete six rounds all with unassisted pull ups (although i did do a couple chin ups and a few jumping pull ups)

the easiest way to do pull ups is to just do them and you will increase over time. If you cant get one what I did was a combination of jumping negative pull ups where you jump and pull up at the same time then hold it for as long as you can on the way down. Also you can grab a chair or something to stand on and do negatives that way you start off with your chin above the bar. 

I cant even hold my body up with a wall assisted handstand so what ive been doing is hanging over my bed in the hand stand position and doing push ups that way.  have you taken the DLAB? I hated that test SOOO MUCH! what is your language going to be? Thats going to be nice your going right into a joint environment at the school house in Monterrey bay Cali. which is the language house for all the branches. 

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Quests

DAY SIX DONE!!!

Today was my first cheat/rest day

breakfast

three eggs

two strips of bacon

one sausage patty

Lunch

a burger

a hot dog

3 onion rings

3 buffalo wings

Dinner 

medium thin crust pepperoni and mushroom pizza

Work out 

relax. 

Back on the Ball tomorrow!

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Quests

Week one Done!

breakfast

three eggs

two strips of bacon

one sausage patty

three french toast sticks

Lunch 

begin 24 hour fast

Dinner 

Continue 24 hour fast

Workout 

stretch out tight muscles. 

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Quests

breakfast

three eggs

two strips of bacon

one sausage patty

three french toast sticks

Lunch 

workout

Myoplex Protein shake

ON whey protein shake

Dinner 

chicken alfredo with mixed veggies.

Weight today was 207 need to pick it up!

Cest:

Dumbell Press - set 1/ 45lbsx16 set 2 and 3 50lbsx12 set 4 55Lbsx12

Dumbel incline press - Set 1 through 4 45Lbsx12

Cable crossovers - set 1 and 2 30lbsx12 set 3 45Lbsx12

Dips (chest focus) body weight - set 1/ 6 reps set 2/ 7 reps set 3/ 5 reps 

Tris:

Cable Tricep push down - set 1 and 2 60Lbsx12 set 3 90Lbsx9

Bench Dips (tricep focus) - set 1/ 14 reps set 2/ 11 reps set 3/ 10reps

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Quests

breakfast

three eggs

two strips of bacon

one sausage patty

Lunch 

one taco 

one chicken fajita 

mid afternoon

Myoplex Protein shake

Dinner 

spaghetti

green beans

toast

mid evening

ON whey protein shake with banana milk

workout

warm up (appetizer) 

500m Row

workout (main meal)

(reps per set I.E first set 10 reps second set 9 reps...)

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

squat

burpee

pushup

knees to elbows

dips

it took me 38:32 to get through all 10 sets

cool down (dessert) 

walking followed by stretching

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Quests

breakfast

three eggs

two strips of bacon

one sausage patty

mid morning 

Myoplex Protein shake

Lunch 

Myoplex Protein shake

special K protein bar

mid afternoon

Myoplex Protein shake

Dinner 

Myoplex Protein shake

mid evening

ON whey protein shake with banana milk

workout

rest/recovery

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Quests

That must be one hell of a shake ^^. 

I can c it for me : Whilst running from the zombies, the Zap-members succumbed one by one ...  :   Smoooooothie!!   Shaaake!!  Smooooooothie !!! Shaake!!  Shaaaaaake!   Smoooooothie !!

Nusuth Revamped

Current Challenge

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf 

Jon Kabat-Zinn

A quitter never wins and a winner never quits.

Napoleon Hill

its not that great, but that shows the quality of the food here....the kitchen here would not pass any sot of inspection for health or cleanliness...

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Quests

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines