Making Faces!

soo... I just discovered two sites that may be very damaging to my wallet.

Geek Chic Cosmetics

Shiro Cosmetics

They name their makeup colors after nerdy stuff/fandom references...

Dude. Shiro has a collection named after Fullmetal Alchemist. They're about to get my money just off the principle of that.

• Like 1

Tsundere
Level 1 Adventurer/Ranger, pseudo-ninja and Sailor Scout Rebel
STR: +0 || DEX: +0 || STA: +0 || CON: +0 || WIS: +0 || CHA: +0

"The past is seldom as we would have it. The future yet to be known. Embrace the present and strike all else from concern." - Spartacus

Rebel Ranger Debut

Sailor Tsundere's Battle Logs

Tsundere Tsunami - Personal Blog

So what's our mission this challenge? :)

So we are skipping November.

But. BUT BUT. I want to do a Christmas challenge- have to develop a look for you for your Christmas dinner- you may start preparing/practicing now (hellow thanksgiving practice)

So definitely a LOOK/DO thing- not just I slapped eye shadow on my face.

For those of you who are minimalist or new- that's okay- don't freak out- it can be as simple as eye liner and a base coat- it doesn't need to be crazy- but there should be some thought and practice in it. 

So we are skipping November.

But. BUT BUT. I want to do a Christmas challenge- have to develop a look for you for your Christmas dinner- you may start preparing/practicing now (hellow thanksgiving practice)

So definitely a LOOK/DO thing- not just I slapped eye shadow on my face.

For those of you who are minimalist or new- that's okay- don't freak out- it can be as simple as eye liner and a base coat- it doesn't need to be crazy- but there should be some thought and practice in it. 

That would be fun.  I need to do some super glittery and obnoxious for the ugly sweater party that I'm going to.

Can we do a cosplay character makeup challenge in January?

Also thanks for the geeky makeup site, I AM SO INTO TIMEY WIMEY http://www.geekchiccosmetics.com/timey-wimey.html

sure.

I'm trying to keep it simple for our less than practiced make up friends- at least to start with- but I see no reason why we cant' do inspired looks- there are ways to incorporate that as more simple looks.   I'm kind of winging the challenge things- at some point I want to be able to do a challenges and send little gifts for people who win.... but I think maybe we might set up a more official challenge thread with that if the powers that be allow it. Something simple like maybe an ulta gift card or a little baby beauty kit- I'm low on funds so nothing crazy ut I'd like to support challenge efforts!!! :)

It will run till the end of December- we'll say New Years. 

Starting now- you can start working on it. 

We haven't been serious about judging- it's mostly been- step outside of your box and try something new. But if we are giving gifts- we can go buy either popular vote- or more likely who actually does it.  I usually throw in rules about having to practice it and actually waer it somewhere- most people only did it once or twice.- I think I only did mine like 2 time sand it was supposed to be like 5-6. LOL

there is no set anything really.  I feel like right now- let's owrk on getting a plan- and an idea- and then in December it'll be practice a new technique and take your new look for a trial run... and then actually WEAR it and get pictures.  

Or something- I'm open to ideas- definitely not a dictatorship LOL

Oooh, Christmas party makeup. Maybe the chance I'm looking for to crack out the sparkly gold shadow I bought last weekend and am too afraid to wear anywhere.

Do we need to post our practice pics as well as the final?

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Oooh, Christmas party makeup. Maybe the chance I'm looking for to crack out the sparkly gold shadow I bought last weekend and am too afraid to wear anywhere.

Do we need to post our practice pics as well as the final?

I would guess that's a matter of do you want to get feedback, I imagine at the end of the challenge we post the final pics of how we did the makeup for Christmas. I myself am open to the idea of posting practices for feedback.

Texas Mom of Boys, Druid Chick

I remember I did my makeup for Thanksgiving last year and since I'm going to a friend's this year, I will probably do my makeup again. And I will likely be the only person "done up". I think I will do like my parents used to make me do and get all dressed up...just because.

Tsundere
Level 1 Adventurer/Ranger, pseudo-ninja and Sailor Scout Rebel
STR: +0 || DEX: +0 || STA: +0 || CON: +0 || WIS: +0 || CHA: +0

"The past is seldom as we would have it. The future yet to be known. Embrace the present and strike all else from concern." - Spartacus

Rebel Ranger Debut

Sailor Tsundere's Battle Logs

Tsundere Tsunami - Personal Blog

Did you scan the beginning of the thread? there is some great ideas there.

If I was starting ALL over and I knew what I knew now?

I'm an eye and lip person- I could care less about base products- so keep that in mind as you read this.  i'm trying to think BIGGER picture- but I do lean heavily toward eye and lip.

I would buy a good SET of brushes- this is true for **almost** any application- (work, parties, going out- day to day minimal low maintance looks)

(good does not necessarily mean excessively expnesive- but a matching set)- I REALLY love my new Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman (On line- or in Ulta- Sephora might carry them- you can order them on line at Target/Walmart- but I don't think you can purchase them in store.

Sigma- great collection LOADS of people use them- and they make great dupes for reasonable prices. I heard they are great brushes- order on line - never seen them in the store

Costal scents are okay- I have 3 and they are a little bit stiff- they are synthetic and the ones are VERY densly packed and VERY stuff- good for crease work and blending- but not good if you have ultra sensitive eyes or a rough hand- but you can get a LOT for a little

Eco-Tools- great product- can get at any drug store- I have 3 of them and really like them.

My favorite generic brush is Maybelline's angle brush 100% synthetic- I have 2 of them and they hold their shape- stiff enough to really work the product but enough give to not poke your eye out- LOVE it. 

YMMV obviously. But I am exceptionally happy with the brushes I have now- especially that i have a SET- everything is very consistent and predictable.

Brushes EVERYONE should at least own of

detailer brush- small or angle (either/or)

flat eye shadow brush

crease brush

fluffly blending brush

blush brush

kabuki brush

I would invest a good neutral pallete.  Most neutrals come in a serious of browns- some champagne colors and typically a nude/white ish (highlighting or for low key eye days) and typically a smokey color- blackish or DARK brown.  It should have the range from light to dark but be VERY flexible.

Urban Decay just released Naked Basics- it's 27$ instead of the 50 for the full Naked- but Naked I, Naked II or Naked Basics are all going to be FABULOUS investments.

Two Faced has a good one

Sephora has their own

MAC you can build your own pallete

UD you can build your own pallete

Eye Liners- I'm a big fan of gel ones- i have Mac black track- lasting beauty (i think) by Maybelline gets good reviews- UD 24 hr lasting pencils are also awesome- I'm SUPER not picky about eyeliner- I love my gel- and I use it a lot- but I swipe on cheap ass drug store pencils all the time- I have no shame.   they are fine for day to day.  Rimmels' are super soft- was suprised by how much I liket them.

Mascara- buy on sale- try- figure out what you like. I like a big fluffy brush- volume volume- you aren't going to get volume with those cute little rubbery wand ones- so big floofy =- volume

then I go over it with a rubber synthetic spikey one to separate.  I'm a big fan of Maybelline- love that they have 1 consistent (although I hate their new forumla for "The Great Lash") and then come out with a bunch of others- their marketing totally works on me.

Loveing Rimmel's one too- huge black and green tube- HUGE floofy brush

Then I use covergirls rubberized ones for seperateing- I hate their mascara- but I love the wands.  

Good primers- Invest in a good eye primer- Urban Decays Potion Primer people SWEAR by it. Smashbox, Two Faced Shadow Insurance- Bobby Brown- all get rave reviews.

Substitutes that work great- Maybelline's cream/gel eye tattoo- barely branded and totally taupe- very neutral colors- make a great base.

NXY jumbo eye pencils- not AS good because they don't set like the Maybellin'es but I get a lot of milage out of black bean and milk in my collection.

I would spend less money on drug store eye colors- some are good- most are not. I wasted a lot of time trying to squeeze pigment out of a pigment-less product. 

Wet and Wild palletes are great color pay off- cheap to play with and a lot of bang for your buck.

Milian has good color pay off

Maybelline Eye tattoo- the powders I haven't used but I did check them out- and heard that got sloppy piss poor reviews- unless there is a color you are DYING to try- I'd avoid them.

Loreal HIP colors- GREAT- I used many of them for a long time- they just take up a TON of room.

NYX- hit or miss- Love some of mine- hate others

LOVE My MAC colors- but 13$ a pop- they are steep- but worth the investment if you know what you are looking for.

After that I would invest in a huge color generic pallete so I could play with different colors.  I got a great one from Coastal Scents- it was 25$ and has like 130 colors in it- it's not a LOT of product per color but the color pay off is GREAT and there are a million colors to toy with so you can practice. Sephora has one- and a few others have one- ULTA has one- little pricey but worth it.

Go to sephora or mac- and have your make up done- be wililng to spend a little money on a product- primer or face products are typically worth the investment. 

Do research on your skin tone and what products work well with your skin tone.

lipsticks- you have to kind of play with this to find a product that resonates with you.

My Personal favorites- and go to's

Maybelline's 14 hr super stay line- I have about 10 of them (okay might be a stretch- but probably not by much) I like the forumla- I like the pigment pay off- I like the long lasting affect. Consistent from lip stick to lipstick

NYX is my next favorite- I like their matte's I own probably 10 of them too. (okay might be a stretch but not by much) Not as long lasting- but I LOVE the colors. Forumla for me is smooth- not draggy- reasonable wear out of a none long wearing lipstick

Lipstick Queen- I like the products- I like the forumla of the two I have- and they are totally different- LOVE the packaging on Rouge Sinner. It's metal- and very "friendly" even guys like holding the tube- there is something about it that makes you want to hold it.  It's just fun to hold.

I have Russian Red by Mac and RED by Sephora- I love the color and the way the product applies of both of them- but I hate the wear on the forumla.  neither last well- and for 20+ dollar lipsticks I expect them to last at least a few hours through a regular day.

Face- primer- buy a product WITH a primer- or invest in a primer (I use anti chafe stuff- it's from the makers of Monistat- it's the EXACT same silicone based product as the high end primers- for 8$

I use either MAC studio Scuplt, Revlon Whipped Color Stay or a BB cream (I have the RImmel one- but I don't like it)

I have all three because I use one for day to day- one for going out- and one for when I dance or need 100% coverage.

so sheer/light, medium/heavy and a medium/heavy/heavy (studio sculpt and the whipped stuff are interchangable for medium to heavy coverage)

A setting powder- very useful- can be used as a highlighter as well.

Bronzers, highlighers, blushes- you just gotta go forth and try and find ones that work for you. they are tricky and take practice- they are the bottom of my list. I'm cool toned- and gave up on using bronzers to contour- I needed CONTOUR powder- I was just looking dirty and ridiculous all the time trying to use bronzers marketed toward warm toned women on my cool and very pale skin. 

Thankfully there are a LOT of pale nerds here- so they can give you some really great advice on the cool/pale skin thing going on... it's harder for us!!!  But damn do we age well!!! 

Okay- sorry brain dump- I'm doing cooking and what not- so I had a moment and just banged out as much as possible.

So TL;DR

Brushes

Nueutral Eye shadow pallete

Big colorful cheap pallete for playing

Lips- buy pretty colors you like- play with them

Face- go have it done- DO YOUR RESEARCH

And above all- really this is MOST IMPORTANT

PRACTICE

PRACTICE

PRACTICE

THEN PRACTICE SOME MORE