Making Faces!

I feel like I can always see my red cheeks no matter how much product I use :(

the more make up I started wearing- the more I realized I actually have super splotchy skin- it's ACTUALLY spotted- I was talking to someone about it- and she suggested I hit up the derm.. so I did. She thought they were dark spots- I actually think they are light spots- but the more make up- the more difference it makes.  sigh. so GURL. I hear you. 

Googling "how to properly apply powder" brought up a few articles using the "press it in" method. It worked out great for me today, so I will definitely be trying it more in the future. His "apply powder before foundation" method didn't seem to make a difference for me, but then, primer/tinted bb cream doesn't seem to do anything for my many-coloured face either. My skin is weird and defiant.

I'll have to look up more- I watch a lot- but I don't think I've watched a lot of foundation ones outside of the foundation contouring.   

BB cream only does so much for me- I like to think it's helping even the tone a little bit- but the reality is I'm not sure it does- I DO think with powder the cream sets and looks a little better actually.  But a big win is the fact it's SPF (doctor said that was uber important- which I kind of went- um- duh) so I use it almost daily. I rotate through Maybelline (really like it) and my MAC studio sculpt- but it's only 15 spf. :( 

Thought I just had: consider that it might be your product to- so don't write off the technique just yet.  I have found some techniques work much better with some products and some don't.  

Glad you posted though- stuff I need to research clearly!

Alright, so taking Goss's advice I played around a little bit today. I still have no idea what to do with eye makeup, so this is all a work in progress. CCW!

By a window:

kTdmRPV.jpg?1

[...]

Damn, you look good girl!

PS. Loving this thread. I rarely ever use makeup (although I do try to umph up my eyebrows a little when I'm trying to look pretteh (otherwise I have like non-existent eyebrows 'cause they're so light and scarce)), but I feel inspired to try and play around some more :]

Race: Troll | Class: Adventurer | Level: 2
STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Quest: 1st | Current challenge: following a path

"There will be glory!" - Hooded-Warrior

A-buddies: RPG Fanatics

I forgot to post these. They're from Saturday. I tried both Goss methods again of powder under foundation and pressing the powder in, and my makeup was probably the best it ever has been.

Bathroom:

00cBDYp.jpg?1

Sunlight:

tqVVjKT.jpg?1

Same spot, after a full day of paintball:

PY7X0nv.jpg?1

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

Hi, everyone! I'm still working on getting caught up on this thread. However, I was wondering if I could ask for your help, please? 

I seriously need some guidance/an intervention and from what I am reading, I trust you all to point me in the right direction at the very least. 

Also, you are all absolutely amazing and gorgeous! I'm just blown away by everything I'm seeing in this thread! 

"No power in the 'verse can stop me."

Current Challenge: Stooshie is a Leaf on the Wind

Past Challenges: The road goes ever, ever on!

I currently have no good photos, but I'll upload some later. 

Just wanted to add to the products debate, haha. I actually love my products from Shoppers Drug Mart: CoverGirl Lashblast Mascara, almay sparkle shadows in various colours, avon black/brown glimmersticks eyeliner, and finishing powder from The Body Shop. 

I generally don't spend more than $60 on makeup in a year. 

Make your body the sexiest outfit you own!

I'm going to jump in for some advice - ladies with oily faces, what kind of products do you use to minimize the shine?

I have to blot numerous times a day (and use numerous sheets), and my new foundation is supposed to be good for this (bare minerals matte). This is an age old problem, so it's not the new foundation, but I wonder if my pre-make-up routine has made it worse. I use jojoba oil as my moisturizer. That's been going on for about half a year.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Items to try? This is especially relevant with summer humidity coming to DC.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

I have combination skin and my current routine is a BB cream and a loose powder.  Maybe relax on the jiboba oil? that's pretty heavy stuff- I like it (I have some) and I rotate between coconut oil and that because the jiboba oil just feels too heavy for my face. 

I generally don't spend more than $60 on makeup in a year

Man I wish!!!!

If I could spend spend that in two months I would be happy- but typically it's like 30-50 a trip!!!! 

I have combination skin and my current routine is a BB cream and a loose powder.  Maybe relax on the jiboba oil? that's pretty heavy stuff- I like it (I have some) and I rotate between coconut oil and that because the jiboba oil just feels too heavy for my face. 

Man I wish!!!!

If I could spend spend that in two months I would be happy- but typically it's like 30-50 a trip!!!! 

It probably helps that I don't ware make-up during the work-week (I value my sleep too much, haha!), and I rarely wear skin make-up because it causes me to breakout. So, fewer products to buy and they don't run out as often. 

I have eyeshadow for days.  LOL

so between the lip- eye and brushes- it would still cost me a fortune. An artist must have a full palette and all ;)  I'm just a junkie- has nothing to do with use- I have more makeup than I could possibly use for the next year if I stopped buying and only used what I had (well outside foundations- but even then- I think I have 5 or 6 in my drawer LMAO.

Been a long time since I went barefaced- ah- those were some good days LOL- Can't remember the last time I stepped out without mascara or eyeliner on- and BB cream is a must for me at this point w/ SPF 30 so that goes on every day- if I'm going anywhere or just to the store. 

Man I wish!!!!

It could be the jojoba. It was great during the winter when my face actually had some dry spots at times, but now it may be too heavy. Trying coconut oil for the next few weeks to see how that goes. Enjoying it so far today. 

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

When you talk about using coconut oil on your face, are you using the same coconut oil that you cook with? And do you just smooth it on or is there a different way to apply it?

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

I have eyeshadow for days.  LOL

so between the lip- eye and brushes- it would still cost me a fortune. An artist must have a full palette and all ;)  I'm just a junkie- has nothing to do with use- I have more makeup than I could possibly use for the next year if I stopped buying and only used what I had (well outside foundations- but even then- I think I have 5 or 6 in my drawer LMAO.

Been a long time since I went barefaced- ah- those were some good days LOL- Can't remember the last time I stepped out without mascara or eyeliner on- and BB cream is a must for me at this point w/ SPF 30 so that goes on every day- if I'm going anywhere or just to the store. 

A touch of winged eyeliner and mascara, and some lipstick or gloss and I'm done for the day.

I'm an inside creature, so I only apply sunscreen if I'll be outside for more than 5 minutes at a time. 

You are very right about the artist's pallette though; creativity has to flourish! (I just have no artistic creativity, haha)

When you talk about using coconut oil on your face, are you using the same coconut oil that you cook with? And do you just smooth it on or is there a different way to apply it?

yes.

I keep a jar in the kitchen and I spoon out some when I first buy it and put it in the "bathroom" container.  Same stuff- just two containers. 

it melts quickly in your hand- a little goes a long way. I personally use it for moisturizer all over- my face and for my hair.  Works great- smells good too. 

I love what eyeliner can do.

If only learning to apply it didn't make look like a 1 year old attacked me with a sharpie.

I can completely identify with this, both loving the look of eyeliner and being bad at applying it. My problem is that I never think about putting it on until the minute I want to put it on (which is generally 5 minutes before I'm supposed to be out the door to go somewhere) so I don't give myself time to practice.

• Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

practice practice practice!!!

I swear- it will make a huge difference for you!!!

and play with a variety of media- I like the self sharpening pencils (they aren'mt self sharpening- they just twist out- but whatever- that's what they are called) and gel liner best- third and fourth choices are pencils followed by liquid. I love the staying power of liquid- but they are harder for me to apply (not enough practice) and they sting so bad if I get them anywhere in my eye and then my eye waters and then it's just a big effing mess. 

So yes- play with different media- will help you figure out what's going to work for you!!!

I have had my fair share of sharpie days- believe you me!!

Those twist ones I-jo mentioned are the bomb. Go for tightlining (around the waterline only) to start, and just do where you have actual lashes while youre getting used to it. Smudged liner on the bottom lid looks good on no one :P Practice cateyes in your spare time.

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

Honestly the best application I've gotten was from a 99 cent pencil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah- some of them are AWESOME and some really suck.  The problem with the 99 cent ones is that it seems like the quality is not consistent. but they are good because you can practice with different colors- which is great. 

Ever since I tried gel liner I have not looked back to anything else. I find it to be easy to apply, much more forgiving than liquid (but looks similar), and can be blended, used for tightlining, or going all out for something like cat-eye. I think I'm using a cheap drug store brand too. I'm actually just realizing how long it's lasted despite me wearing it almost every day.

• Like 1

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

I've been told I do good makeup. Maybe I should post some pics :)

I don't have one style, I've done Punk, Goth, 20s style, and whatever I feel like playing with. And being poor I just grab stuff from the drugstore after extensive reviews. Oh and NYX Milk jumbo pencil, amazing!! That is if you can get your hands on it before others do. And Rimmel Stay Matte pressed powder is awesome for setting makeup so it doesn't move. I'm always trying new stuff I hear about (when I have the cash lol).

And I have to highly recommend Besame Lipstick! Have yet to try their other products, but WOW! I have the 30s era Merlot colored lipstick and I love it!  http://www.besamecosmetics.com/Besame-Cosmetics-Noir-Red-1930/dp/B00IDBYPZ4?field_availability=-2&field_browse=7493075011&id=Besame+Cosmetics+Noir+Red+1930&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Ccolor_map&searchNodeID=7493075011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

Even if your not goth or going for dramatic, the stain it leaves behind is beautiful.

• Like 1

Ulta's self sharpening (i hate that they call them that because they don't self sharpen- they are more like mechacnial pencisl- but what do I know) Anyway- they are a 1$ a piece... so... obviously a must.

I got a new Rimmel Matte foundation- the one I have is WAY to light- and I don't hate the formula- it's heavy- but good if you are good with a brush and perfect for working contour blending stuff since it's unquestionably stiffer. 

I also got creme blush by NYX- i REALLY didn't want it, because it's creme. But- I'm obsessed with oranges- and I needed an orange. They didn't have any of the pressed powders- so my first creme blush is in my hands- unfortunately- we have a date night- and I'm already done up (looks fab) so I can't try it till late tonight- OR tomorrow.

Hurumph. 

maybe more pictures are needed!!!! 

Just wanted to pop in and say NYX new glam singles are AMAZING.

And bH cosmetics is a great company I just ordered from, LOVE their pop art and seductive brush kits (i got one as a gift b/c they messed up my order so they let me keep it- winning- more brushes)

also Coastal Scents Reveled 2 pallete is fantabulous- and their poofy blender brush that is a MAC 217 dupe isn't to shabby either.  Plus they do some sort of help women from Africa program- I haven't read up on it to really support it- but they sent a thing with the order- it's pretty much ever order you order they help set a woman up to fun her own business, little sad their make up is made in China- but I kind of can't help myself.  

So anyway- any one got new goodies to share?

I just picked up Maybelline Fit Me color sticks- I'm MEH about them right now- everyone swears by them but meeeehhhhhhhhh.   jury is still out.

The duo fiber brush from Real techniques- the big one- is AMAZING with creme shadows- seriously- I'm obsessed.

I think that's all I got right now- I should load some pictures and share- LOL I've acquired a lot of make up int he last 2-3 months!!! Feel remiss i haven't posted up for you all!

I don't normally look like this... and it was a first try (I didn't want to use ALL my white... is why it's splotchy... I will fix it with some primer for camp) 

my mad hatter

10665051_10203216303463305_182971644770910675515_10203216302103271_574279240734510696261_10203216302783288_1676870565959

• Like 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move