Mav cranks it back up!

mav959

Alrighty! Well this is both my first post and my first challenge, long time lurker finally getting off his ass!

Goal 1: Train! (STR: 5)

I’ve been a bit of an underpants gnome in the past, always planning to train in different ways but never actually really sticking to it. Time for this to change!

The solution I see to this is be strict, keep it simple and focus on the endgame.

I used to train a couple times a week (off and on) but have really neglected it lately, just back from vacation and got another coming up in 14 weeks-ish… so time to step up.

The plan is to stick to a 5x5 routine 3 times a week, which for the purposes of this is 18 workouts. Since it’s been a while I’m going to back it off and start back down at 25kg for everything (except deadlifts) and work back up.

So how my success at this will be graded is pretty simple, if I reach the number of workouts below I get that grade.

A: 18 | B: 13 | C: 9 | D: 4

Goal 2: Remove Vices! (CON: 3 | CHA: 2)

I’ve always had a pretty addictive personality so now is the time to make a move on the addictions!

The primary one is quit smoking! Not exactly earth shattering or surprising but this is a big one to cut out. Been doing it “casually†for about 2 years and have noticed that I’ve been losing lung capacity and there’s always the obvious risks associated with it.

This is another simple one to grade, it’s completely pass/fail and will be worth 67% of the goal.

The other vice is one a lot of people have also… Cut out sugar/soda!

I’ve not exactly been much of a soda drinker but the last 2 weeks I spent in Orlando were spent with a Mountain Dew in hand several times a day, so need to wean myself off that.

It’s also a case of cutting out sugar in tea/coffee as well. I don’t really eat sweets/candies so that’ll be easy mode!

This one is pass fail also worth the remaining 33% of the goal.

Goal 3: Chill out! (CON: 2 | WIS 3)

Well this seems simple enough right? Nope.

I’m constantly sitting watching YouTube videos, someone livestreaming or regular TV when I’m not working (stupid sedentary lifestyle) so I’m looking to give myself a couple mins a day to just relax rather than sitting in front of a computer screen.

So, taking inspiration from (read: directly copying) Steve’s own goals I’m going to start having some chill time.

Every day I’m going to do one of two things:

Spend at least 1min/week into the challenge it is meditating

Read 5 pages/week into the challenge

Similar grading style to goal 1 here, for each day I do this I get 1 point, up to a maximum of 42.

A: 42 | B: 30 | C: 21 | D: 10

Level 1 Half-Gnome Warrior

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

IntroCurrent 6 Week Challenge!

The Art Of Double Edged Shaving

Welcome and good luck!  Might want to hit up Wicked Pixie who "conquered the smoke dragon" and got an awesome NF logo tatoo'ed on her side to celebrate.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Day 1:

So today is day one of the challenge, things are mostly going to plan. Just finished my workout and now it’s time to go walk a mile with the dog.

But first I’ll give a few stats so I’ve got a record of my starting point.

Height: 5ft9 (this really shouldn’t change should it?)

Weight: 58kg

And don’t worry, no topless photos of a skinny engineer!

Today’s workout was pretty straightforward, nothing particularly special. My training partner seemed particularly enthralled in the whole thing though!

trainingpartner.jpg

Squat: 5x5 at 30kg

Bench: 5x5 at 30kg

Ok… this isn’t quite on a bench, it’s on the arm of the couch but that’s close enough right?

Row: 5x5 at 30kg

I’ll be tracking this on a popular workout tracking website if anyone wants to follow that directly wing me a PM and I’ll link you, otherwise if you know what site I’m talking about my username is the same there as it is here.

As far as the other goals go…

I’ll be getting my 5 pages read as soon as I get back in from my walk!

The last of the smokes are gone so time to kick it up a notch and not buy any more!

Bring it!

Day 2

Today is going pretty good so far, though it’s not even 1pm yet. Got minor DOMS in my legs from yesterday so a little stretching wouldn’t go amiss I think.

Already don’t my 1min of meditation, I get the impression I’m going to be doing that more often than reading…

My stumbling block with the Smoke Dragon has always been about the second or third day when it’s all out my system, meaning that right now I’m really jonesing for a cigarette. But the thought of having to openly admit that I’ve failed on day 2… that’s embarrassing enough that I won’t back out now!

So far as fighting the Sugar Demon, all is well! Just drinking lots of water.

Your goals all look good. I'm not a smoker, but I have lived with a family of smokers and have seen all of them try to quit and even have seen some of them achieve that goal! Looks like your doing good so far and don't let the smoke catch you!!

As for your other goals is their anything your training for in particular? Being able to lift a certain weight perhaps? Sadly I'm just an adventurer and don't know very much about strength training just yet haha. Although for chill time I  usually do yoga every day for that, and going out for walks is nice for that as well. Sugar though that's a hard one for me. Luckily I'm not a big soda fan, but I like sweets and homemade baked goods which are harder to find and get quite as quickly and easily. Sadly this mean I probably shouldn't bake anymore even though I enjoy it. You're lucky that you don't have a big sweet tooth like me!

Also your dog is adorable! :)

Level:2

Magical Girl Adventurer

Current Challenge: July 29th-Sept 8th

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34599-misslaces-quest-to-lvl-2/#entry628514

STR:6|DEX:3|STA:6|CON:3| WIS:7|CHA:8

"No matter how far you are down the wrong road, turn back."-turkesh proverb

As for your other goals is their anything your training for in particular? Being able to lift a certain weight perhaps? Sadly I'm just an adventurer and don't know very much about strength training just yet haha. Although for chill time I  usually do yoga every day for that, and going out for walks is nice for that as well. Sugar though that's a hard one for me. Luckily I'm not a big soda fan, but I like sweets and homemade baked goods which are harder to find and get quite as quickly and easily. Sadly this mean I probably shouldn't bake anymore even though I enjoy it. You're lucky that you don't have a big sweet tooth like me!

Well, I only own enough weight plates to get to 40kg (including the bar) so going higher than that for a while isn't an option.

Unfortunately sh*t has truly hit the fan here... so I'm not sure how well I'll be able to keep up with this, I'll be doing my utmost...

Oh that's a shame >.< Even if your not able to keep up perfectly with your goals try your best! Life can be hard thing to deal with and sadly sometimes your main priority just can't be fitness. If you want advice or someone to talk to feel free to PM me. 

Level:2

Magical Girl Adventurer

Current Challenge: July 29th-Sept 8th

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34599-misslaces-quest-to-lvl-2/#entry628514

STR:6|DEX:3|STA:6|CON:3| WIS:7|CHA:8

"No matter how far you are down the wrong road, turn back."-turkesh proverb

Mav, its tough keeping up with goals when life throws you a curveball, so here's some positive encouragment thrown your way!

Quitting smoking is the toughest thing I've ever done, and it took a few tries of being off the nicotine for a long time before it stuck.

Sugar in my coffee was the one thing that I intensely held onto for SO long after giving up my routine sugar snackies. I love thick black coffee with like Cold Stone creamer in it, making it sweet and smooth. But since I moved to turkey they dont have any "plain" flavored sweet cream, and I tried just plain half and half, no sugar, and I haven't gone back!

You get the same wonderful rich coffee taste with the smoothness of cream, and the half and half starts to taste naturally sweet very quickly!

I agree with MissLace, even if you cant stick to all of your goals, be tenacious! Try to finish the challenge with as many complete as you can, and chalk whatever losses you have up to a learning experience. You're not going to face judgement here for coming in at less than an A as your final grade!

Wishing you the best of luck.

Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

Str: 4 Dex: 2 Sta: 3 Con: 2 Wis: 3 Cha: 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines