Finding the Trail: Hiraedd Tracks

Hiraedd

I'm so pleased to read you write "life is good" - you so deserve life to be good!

Hope you're finally managing to get a relaxing time of it, and doing what you want to!

Pet-sitting a frog, now that's a new one on me!  Does he come with his own lily-pad? :)

Congrats on keeping things fantastic!  Because you are.

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

You ladies are all so amazing.  Thank you for your encouragement and support.  I spend a lot of time encouraging others, and it is such a blessing to me to be "poured back into" by you all!

@Heidi -- that's only fair, since you inspire me all the time :)

@Kev -- LOL.  Fluffy (the frog -- the 2nd graders named her) came with her own terrarium.  She's a rainforest tree frog of some kind.  BUT, I do have tadpoles from regular frogs in a bowl upstairs, and they're just growing their back legs....so in about 2 weeks we'll either have to release them, or buy lily pads.... 

WEEK 4 SUMMARY

Track  Food [27:1]

Track Exercise - Current.

Track Spending - [2.5]

(number of weeks completed)

Pose [8/10] 

(days completed out of days able)

Need to get on that nutrition tracking.  Pallas, what software did you say you used?  And do you find it works well?  I found Livestrong's daily plate very incomplete for nutrients, but looking every food up in the USDA tables is pretty tiresome....

My grandparents have just moved back from the mountains, and so I've spent three days moving their things into their apartment, rearranging furniture, and opening boxes.  We're not done yet, but we've made a lot of progress, so that's exciting.  It also means I've had lots of incidental exercise....what with carrying furniture down stairs, etc.  I took my time and listened to my body, and haven't had any ill effects yet, so BONUS!  Excited about that, too.

I went to the pool last night to soak in the hot tub and found out some interesting things about myself.  1) I no longer float head and shoulders out of the water.  I used to, but now I just float with my nose out (when I'm sitting/standing up in the water).  2)  I can get out of the hot tub by going over the edge, and simply step out.  3) I can lever myself up out of the pool, then put a foot up and stand up: no "roll of shame" anymore!  4) Flutter kick is easier than it ever has been.

And then today I helped take care of my parent's summer place (our old house, about 45 min from where I live), which included mowing the monster of a lawn.  And I did it.  By myself.  With only two short water breaks!!!  A year ago I had to take my inhalers repeatedly AND take 6-8 breaks to get it done.

I just feel so excited about the proof in my everyday life that what I'm doing is making a difference.

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Hiraedd, I loved your post today. The everyday - awesome has been my favorite result of the challenges. Sure, a new pr for planking or deadlifts is pretty motivational, but being able to live my life more wholly, more completely, has been the true reward for me. Glad you're having your own bit of everyday awesomeness.

Bonus : we look like the bomb doing it.

love & peace,

Heidi

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Hiraedd, the software I've used off and on for years is DietPower. They have a free trial version you can experiment with. I'd recommend reading the intro tips--it really does save time in learning how to use it. It only runs on Windows but I run it on my Mac with Parallels Windows.

Once you get it set up the way you want it, you can record food and exercise really fast. You can enter a recipe with the full amounts in the recipe, say how many servings are in the recipe, and then add it to the food dictionary. Very convenient when a person cooks at home as much as I do. You can also enter custom foods by entering info off a nutrition label. Then you save foods you eat often as a Favorite, which speeds things up even more. Good search tools, too.

Let me know if you want any other information about using it, if you decide to try it. Hope this helps!

Big cheers for the results you noticed in your recent activities! That's awesome! I've been experiencing some of that lately, too, and it just makes me so pleased with myself! Sounds like you're feeling pleased, too! Very happy for you!

Human Ranger, Level 10
Long-term Goal: Hike WA section of Pacific Crest Trail, August 2014

Current Challenge | Facebook (personal & locavore) | Blog | Twitter

"You stand at the verge, and you could become anything." - Dan Chaon

Thanks, Pallas.  I downloaded the trial version, and it definitely has lots of functionality, although it's a little cumbersome when you start out.  I do like that it has all the minerals and such in it, though, because that's something I've been looking for, and have been disappointed in the accuracy of others (livestrongs, for example, told me there was no calcium in the milk I drank and has no units for most of the minerals they do include.  Very disappointing.).  It feels as though it will take a while to get used to.  It's a shame they don't have a mobile app, though, because that would be amazing.  Overall pretty impressed, though. Will be trying it over the next week or so to see how I like it as I go along.

@Heidi -- I love everyday awesomeness.  Not sure about the looking the bomb part (only seems to cause problems), but I like the rest :)

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

So much awesomeness all over this place.  i had to drop by just to say hi.  I've been a little down this past week and seeing your progress has reminded me that it's not always about the big wins.  Thanks for the reminder. 

Have a great week. Hugs xxxx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

<3, AB.

This week has been craaaazy so far.  Not accomplishing as much as I'd like to goal wise, but tackling a huge project in the house, so 6 of one half a dozen of the other, ya know?

Track  Food [30:4]

Have been using the free version of DietPower, but I'm a bit on the fence about it.  I really like that it tracks the nutrients, but I can't seem to wrap my head around tackling it one nutrient at a time (fix ALL the nutrients).  Also, it's not easy to see the actual grams of protein at a glance, so I find I'm not paying as much attention to that number as I should be....

Track Exercise - Current.

Went for a walk with my Grandma yesterday.  Other than that it's been all incidental.

Track Spending - [2.5]

(number of weeks completed)

Ahh!  I need to get on this one.  I keep forgetting, but I do have my receipts.  Maybe I'll remember to tackle it this afternoon.

Pose [8/10] 

(days completed out of days able)

Have been doing so much incidental exercise (I'm currently prepping our entryway to paint, which involves a crazy amount of stairs, squatting, standing up, wiping, taping, and carrying out of items) that I haven't been able to fit my poses in.  Also have been really tired. not sleeping well.

I think it's because I miss my munchkin.  She's been gone for a week already, and she's not coming back until Sunday (2 weeks).  It's how custody is set up in the summer for us, and it's great when she's here.....I just miss the stuffing out of her right now.

But forward progress is being made, mostly in the rest of my world, but a bit in my goals, too.  Am just about ready to paint (just have to tape the ceiling) and although I'm a little bit nervous about going up on a 12" wide scaffold over a 6' drop, my balance and strength are reminding me that I'm up for the task.

Hope things are great in your worlds :)

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Hugs while you wait for the munchkin. I totally understand the empty feeling during vacation. I feel as though the house echoes when they are away, and that I rattle around like a beebee in a box car until they come back.

Good for you and the painting project! Pictures?

love & peace,

Heidi

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

I just feel so excited about the proof in my everyday life that what I'm doing is making a difference

Just got caught up on your progress -- ho hum, the usual hiraedd, upbeat, awesome, inspiring.  Not least, the grocery store maneuver... where'd you get that idea?

vvv  ADORABLE.

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

@ Heidi -- will upload pics once it's all done

@SS -- :D  It was initiated by my daughter in that we were almost ready to leave to go Father's Day shopping (which she was reluctant to do) and she clipped us together around the waist with a luggage strap (one of those straps you put around your suitcase so it doesn't open while you travel) and told me "Now we can't ever be apart".  So I went with it.  We got in the car attached at the waist (hilarious, let me tell you), and drove that way (we still buckled in individually), but walking that way in the store was very awkward, so I switched it to our feet.  Good memories.  I think of it every time I go shopping now. :)

Have to wait to paint until someone is home (in case I fall off the scaffold), so my project just got pushed back a little.  Dang, I hate it when that happens.  Oh well, it will get finished.  ETA now about 2 weeks (to paint and then get everything anchored and hung, etc.).  Le sigh.

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Indeed -- the number of times I went up and down the stairs, and up and across the scaffolding and then down again....my calves are killing me!  And it was good to not be alone in case I fell, but it was also inconvenient.  Three of the four walls are done now -- have to construct a different scaffold for the last wall since the ladders can't lean against the freshly painted walls -- but it might end up waiting until the week after this coming one because I intend to be busy snuggling my munchkin, and I doubt once she comes home tomorrow that she'll let me more than an arms length away from her for a whole week.  

Goal-wise:

Track food: [33:7]

Track exercise: current

Track spending: still haven't caught up on this, dang it!  I always put it off.  This week it has to get done, though, if I want grades for it.

Pose [8:10}  -- didn't do any poses yet this week since I've been doing so much other exercise.  Went for 3 walks with my grandma, and painted and climbed....oh my.

Other than the spending, it's pretty solid.  I know I'm going to take a hit with the nutrition tracking, but looking into it too hard makes me all over-thinking about everything I consume; it's almost paralyzing when I go to make a food choice (does it have enough vitamin this, will it make my selenium too high, etc).  I don't need that right now, and though I will continue tracking it until my free trial of dietpower runs out, I'm not sure how prepared I am to actually get all my nutrients from food.  It sounded so much better in theory than it is in actuality.....

OH!  And I got to see my munchkin!!  I went to pay the babysitter and she was there, and she ran up to me and snuggled me!  That took the wind out of the sails of my anxiety, just to know that she was safe and well.  (Her dad hasn't let her contact me the whole time she's been away, and has been ignoring my calls and texts).  And of course, snuggles didn't hurt, either!  I can't wait for her to come home.  Be prepared for some deep silence for a few days :)

So tired, but good is how I'm feeling right now.  Hugs to you all :)

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Awesome work here, Hira! That must be so hard, being out of contact with your daughter - but hooray for snuggles! They fix so much.

I'm tracking my spending too, and find that I pretty much have to remember to do it at the time (I have an app on my phone), or it'll never happen/be really inaccurate when I try to remember.

But, if a kick in the butt is what you need:

HIRA! Hurry up, suck it up, and track your spending! It'll take you a few minutes and you'll be done, and be so much  more prepared to deal with your financial stuff. Get on it!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Ohhh.....daughters.  Enjoy!!!!

I used to use Dietpower too.  Loved it, but also got to the point where I was too obsessed with what I was eating and stressed about optimum levels for every nutrient. 

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

if my ex ever did something like that I would kill him

but then again that's part of why I was able to sue for full custody and he hasn't called in almost 4 years.... 

I am glad things are going well :) track on!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I actually got berated last night by him for texting one message to munchkin every second day over the last two weeks, because I'm "not allowing them to have quality family time when I interrupt them".  Bah humbug.  Feeling a bit frustrated right now.

Also, he threatened that if she cut her hair while she was away that something "serious" would happen to her.  Then wouldn't back down when I talked to him about it.  So frustrating.  How do you teach a kid the difference between consequences and threats?

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

I actually got berated last night by him for texting one message to munchkin every second day over the last two weeks, because I'm "not allowing them to have quality family time when I interrupt them".  Bah humbug.  Feeling a bit frustrated right now.

Also, he threatened that if she cut her hair while she was away that something "serious" would happen to her.  Then wouldn't back down when I talked to him about it.  So frustrating.  How do you teach a kid the difference between consequences and threats?

If she had the phone in her hand, they weren't having quality family time anyway.  And if she didn't have the phone in her hand, how did you interrupt?   How frustrating.  However, since he sounds like a control-freak or something, maybe it's just best to make a deal with her so that she texts you right before bed each night or something. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

She has to use their phones to text since she doesn't have one, hence the "interference", so they just didn't show her the messages when they came XD.

Nice suggestion.  I doubt it will fly, but I'll give it a go when she goes back to his and see what he says.  The worst he can say is no, right?  (Ok, not true, because he is the king of worse things to say, but it's still worth a try).

Miss munchkin was hell on wheels today, as per usual when she's been at her dad's so long.  I just have to keep reminding myself that soon she'll level out and be herself again.  One day at a time, right?

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

I would kill him. .... that's so frustrating. ... my ex used to do stuff like that. ... not let me talk to the kids when he had them. .. I was like you can feel free to call here whenever you want and if you don't want to call here daily then you don't have to but you can't stop me from talking to my kids every day

It was actually on the list of reasons for my suing for (and winning) full custody (among the fact that he was known for leaving them alone and i couldn't reach them to know they were ok)

I know how tough it is. ... I just hope things get better for you. ... it's crazy when ex's decide to use kids as fodder in battles. ... I hope he stops soon

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Mine are always difficult while they change gears from one house to another - lots of baths and structure and hugs (and ice cream never hurts :D)

Hugs to you because you are an awesome mom.

love & peace,

Heidi

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 |

Thanks, Pallas.  I downloaded the trial version, and it definitely has lots of functionality, although it's a little cumbersome when you start out.  I do like that it has all the minerals and such in it, though, because that's something I've been looking for, and have been disappointed in the accuracy of others (livestrongs, for example, told me there was no calcium in the milk I drank and has no units for most of the minerals they do include.  Very disappointing.).  It feels as though it will take a while to get used to.  It's a shame they don't have a mobile app, though, because that would be amazing.  Overall pretty impressed, though. Will be trying it over the next week or so to see how I like it as I go along.

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of detail in DietPower. The way I use it I try to watch the little round pie chart that shows protein/carb/fat ratios and I try to have those about where I want them by the end of the day. On the detailed nutrients, I don't really pay much attention until I have at least a week of data, and then I look at the week or month averages. Then I focus on two or three things that regularly appear to be inadequate. Right now, for me, that's calcium, potassium, and magnesium. I just got a supplement for calcium and magnesium, but potassium turns out to be quite tricky. In fact, I'm not even sure I'm really not getting enough. It turns out the US laws on the way potassium is labeled and how much can be in a supplement without a prescription have dramatically changed since the dietary recommendations were established. It's all quite confusing.

I've decided to get some blood testing done that will show mineral levels, and then schedule a session with my naturopath to focus specifically on nutritient levels. I think recording what I eat with something like DietPower can give me the broad strokes, but I want to get some more precise data before I make any other major changes in what I eat.

The reality is I eat pretty well most of the time, so I think there's only going to be a few things to adjust. I've started lowering my caloric intake, and am slowly starting to lose pounds finally, so overall I'm fairly pleased with how things are going.

For me, it's mostly about my energy level, and also (this may sound strange) about my hair texture. My hair used to be really full, and now it's getting thin and dry. I suspect hair texture is kind of like the canary in the mine--it's an early sign of nutritional deficiencies.

Anyway, that's how I use the software. I like having all the detailed data even though I only use parts of it at any one time. I also like that it adjusts calorie recommendations adaptively, based on what I actually eat and whether or not I'm losing/gaining weight. The longer you use the software, the more accurate it gets for your specific metabolism. No software works for everybody, but DietPower has worked for me better than anything else I've tried so far.

And I agree, I wish they had a mobile app.

Human Ranger, Level 10

Hira, it sounds like your daughter is doing fine despite a difficult situation. She (and you) just need to keep in mind that it won't be this way forever. Before you know it she'll be old enough to decide where she wants to be without anyone able to make her go anywhere. And it sounds like she already knows what makes sense for her. It is helping her learn to value her independence and freedom, too, and I don't think that's ever a bad thing.

I'm glad for you that the two weeks are over!

Human Ranger, Level 10

more than likely.  My hair and nails grow at the rate of knotts.  I cut my nails once a week and my hair grows 2 - 4cm a month (your average person's grows 1cm a month) and there's just soooooo much of it although it's really fine and frizzy.  I wonder whether it means i have too much of something in my diet, but it definitely means there isn't a lack of calcium intake even though i don't consume a lot of dairy.

I think you're right about your hair.  Problems with your hair (and nails) can be symptoms of a number of issues, including a thyroid problem. 

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines