chrisevans17's Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Challenge

tumblr_m85nc2REog1ro8ysbo1_r1_400.gif

I decided to break this down in to chunks. I have overall goals for this challenge but I have mini-goals that will make up the whole. This is the first in a series of Power Ranger themed challenges. I will use the show formula to map out my goals. My updates will be themed as well. I know it is not really the RPG style or the “right†type of Ranger, but it works for me.

My challenge “cast†is as follows:

tumblr_mhnno174HL1s4u1mvo1_250.gif
Zordon: The NF Rebellion

tumblr_lqpu0jpcYO1r2skywo1_250.gif
Fellow Rangers: my “offline†friends and family

tumblr_mg1arcteF91s1popdo1_500.gifmegazord_gif_by_rumper1-d4yu0lg.gif
Zords and weapons: my equipment (tires, sandbag, sledgehammer, etc.)

tumblr_mk4sxwWvMV1rg17yqo1_400.gif
Rita and Zedd: my personal hang ups

tumblr_m70nqkKLrn1ro8ysbo1_400.gif
Evil Monsters: temptations

CHALLENGE SCHEDULE

tumblr_lvwkcnywGk1r3ttf0o1_500.gif
WEEKS 1-2: IT’S MORPHIN TIME!!! (Learning to use my powers) – I have been called upon by Zordon to protect the Earth from Rita Repulsa and Lord Zedd. I must learn to use my new-found powers. Start with alternating running and working out each day (MWF=run, TRS=workout). Rest on Sunday. Workouts will focus on strength training. Also start my day with Yoga or Pilates.

tumblr_mhdr5e7uQs1s1popdo1_400.gif
WEEKS 3-4: GO, GREEN RANGER, GO!!! (The 6th Ranger) – A new Ranger appears to assist as the threat to Earth grows. Increase duration of runs. Add abs day to the workout.

pr02.gif
WEEKS 5-6: SURRENDER POWER RANGERS!!! (The final battle) – The final battle is here. It is good vs evil with the fate of the world at stake. With the combined powers of the Rangers and their Zords, evil will be destroyed. Increase duration of runs. Run and work out 5 days a week.

Actual Goals:
Diet – no food after 7PM except for post workout shake, especially snacking. I have a problem with late eating and it causes all kinds of problems. Grades bases on successful days.
A: 6-7 days, B: 4-5 days, C: 2-3 days, D: 1 day, F: 0 days CON +2 CHR +1

Fitness 1 – Run at least 3 times a week, *edit* run 1 mile non-stop
A: 3 or more days, B: 2 days, C: 1 day, F: 0 days STA +2 DEX +2 CHR +1

Fitness 2 – Work out at least 3 times a week, increasing to 5 days by the end
A: 3 or more days, B: 2 days, C: 1 day, F: 0 days STR +2 CHR +1

Fitness 3 – Incorporate Yoga or Pilates
Pass or Fail DEX +2 CHR +1

Life– make time for me. I do not make any time for myself and I am going to spend at least 30 minutes a day doing something for me.
Pass or fail WIS +2 CHR +1

chrisevans17, Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger
STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 6 | CON 4 | WIS 4 | CHA 6

|Facebook|Twitter|Fitocracy|Runkeeper|Personal Blog|Podcast|Current Challenge|

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" ~MASTER YODA
Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

First, I totally spaced on XP for this. I'm working on that. Will update challenge post later.

Rita and Zedd launched their opening attack on Angel Grove in the form of my being lazy. The Yoga thing is going to be difficult because Yoga is just not my thing. I don't like being rushed and with my wife being off work this week it is difficult to get up early enough to get my stuff done and get to work. I know that is an excuse but she is 6 months pregnant and waking that bear is not a good idea. My run became a mow (an issue I will have all summer) and my bad knee popped pretty bad yesterday and is giving me fits. Going to do some strength training tonight and see how that goes. I really did want to work out rather than mow last night, but it is Texas and the summer so mowing is only safe early morning or late evening which is also when I work out. Its was my first day back to a challenge and I am still learning to use my powers.

dave-chappelle-mowing-the-lawn-o.gif

Just realized I hadn't followed your thread yet - I hope your knee is feeling a little better.  Looking forward to yoga on Saturday!  How are you doing on making time for yourself so far?

FluffyRin  --  Ranger (Level 4)

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 4.5 | CON 10 | WIS 10 | CHA 6

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, Current

I love that you broke your plan into two week chunks and your goals are doable. 

How far/long are you currently running now?  Is there a reason you want to increase to 5 times a week as opposed to trying to increase your distance or decrease your time?  If your knee is bugging you, maybe revising your goal to one of those measure will be more realistic and safer for you and your knee?

It's great you want to incorporate yoga into your routine.  This is something that I know my routine is lack in as well...

I love that you broke your plan into two week chunks and your goals are doable. 

How far/long are you currently running now?  Is there a reason you want to increase to 5 times a week as opposed to trying to increase your distance or decrease your time?  If your knee is bugging you, maybe revising your goal to one of those measure will be more realistic and safer for you and your knee?

It's great you want to incorporate yoga into your routine.  This is something that I know my routine is lack in as well...

I am building up to running a 5K. I have been thinking about this as well. I have C25K and Zombies, RUN 5K Trainer. Each has you take a day off between runs. They are both based on time not distance. My ultimate goal is running everyday. I am considering revising this and making it a progressive goal.

Just realized I hadn't followed your thread yet - I hope your knee is feeling a little better.  Looking forward to yoga on Saturday!  How are you doing on making time for yourself so far?

The knee comes and goes. The time for myself is going well. Right now I am using it to get caught up on Game of Thrones.

The knee comes and goes. The time for myself is going well. Right now I am using it to get caught up on Game of Thrones.

Awesome!  Just be careful about running every day... It sounds cool, but that is a lot of pounding for your body to take.  Rest is not a bad thing and a daily run will almost assuredly lead to pain down the road.  Have you considered breaking it up with other strength or cross training instead?

Awesome!  Just be careful about running every day... It sounds cool, but that is a lot of pounding for your body to take.  Rest is not a bad thing and a daily run will almost assuredly lead to pain down the road.  Have you considered breaking it up with other strength or cross training instead?

I have adjusted this to be a long-term goal. For now, by the end of this 6 week challenge, I want to be able to run for a mile non-stop. I am hoping my strength training and yoga will help.

I forgot how hard it is to get back to it. Learning how to use my powers has not be easy. I have had to retreat from a few battles even. This morning Rita and Zedd sent a massive storm that stopped any chance of a workout or run. My son has ballgame tonight so I can't do anything tonight. The rain kept me indoors and the resulting power outage kept me off the treadmill. I have made time for myself this week by getting caught up on Game of Thrones (HOLY HELL THE RED WEDDING!?!?!?!). I have a Yoga session schedule for Saturday morning with my challenge buddy. Not big on the Yoga thing but I am really looking forward to it.

I forgot how hard it is to get back to it. Learning how to use my powers has not be easy. I have had to retreat from a few battles even. This morning Rita and Zedd sent a massive storm that stopped any chance of a workout or run. My son has ballgame tonight so I can't do anything tonight. The rain kept me indoors and the resulting power outage kept me off the treadmill. I have made time for myself this week by getting caught up on Game of Thrones (HOLY HELL THE RED WEDDING!?!?!?!). I have a Yoga session schedule for Saturday morning with my challenge buddy. Not big on the Yoga thing but I am really looking forward to it.

You'll get there - just stick with it.  It sounds like one heckuva storm!  Hopefully it won't derail you for long.

re GoT: I KNOW, RIGHT?!!

Rita and Zedd banished me to the Island of Illusion (look it up, that is a thing from season 1). Have not been able to do much. I find it poetic that Steve posted about how to stay healthy when you are super busy. Ironically I have not been able to read it because I have been too busy. Here is a quick recap of my progress...

Week 1

Diet: B, only slipped a few times

Fitness 1: C

Fitness 2: C

Fitness 3: slow going, but did have a yoga session with my buddy

Life: so far so good

Week 2

Diet: A

Fitness 1: C

Fitness 2: C

Fitness 3: nada

Life: not as good as week 1

Week 3 will be the end of my exile and I will be free of the island as of Thursday. I will spare everyone the details but I'm fighting my way out and back to civilization.

Hey Chris!  Haven't heard from you since the mini-challenge.  How did week 2 go?

Thanks for checking in. I have been super busy and away from Internet access for a bit now. This is my fist chance to sit with a good enough connection.

Good to hear you are still making some progress, though - even if it isn't quite what you were hoping initially.  Make sure you just keep breathing through the busy times and know it won't always be that busy (or if it is, you'll get better at managing it)!  Keep it up, and we'll see you on the flip side of crazy-town.  :)

I suck at updating and have sucked at this challenge, but I thought I would make a final post for those who still care........... I SLAYED THE SMOKE DRAGON!!!!!!! I have officially quit smoking!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines