Shivani: 1st step/1000 miles

Shivani

... which means that I have, approximately, a long way to go. But it's the journey that counts ;)

Hi there, everybody! Newbie Ranger Shivani reporting for duty - slightly nervous about her first mission, but looking forward to giving it a go with you all.

Long term goals
  • Run a 5k - I could blow a house down with the amount of huffing and puffing I do even thinking about running ;) I'll be focusing on strength this challenge, but I'd like to take part in a race sometime next year. Fingers crossed, next challenge will focus on adding running.
  • Rejoin Muay Thai in September - I joined when I started uni, but wasn't capable of keeping up; the warmups were more intense than any exercise I'd ever done. This was made worse by the stress of moving to a new city on my own, coursework, a new diet (I was switching between vegan/raw vegan all through that term) and poor timing. I had a lecture directly before the MT class, meaning that I never had time to eat anything before going and would have to sprint to get to the gym on time. Needless to say, I crashed and burned and became very sick for about a month, after which I felt like I'd fallen too far behind to go back. I did enjoy it, though, so I want to give it another try - which is where my fitness/strength goals come in.
  • Figure out this diet thing - It's a bit of a nightmare! Trying to figure out not only what's best for me physically (which means wading through an awful lot of junk science and bias, unfortunately) and then balancing that with ethical concerns... fun, fun. I suspect this one will be a work-in-progress for a long time.
  • Become a polyglot - Languages are awesome, and I'd love to travel the world one day. Next up: Esperanto!

Goal #1 - Harder Better Faster Stronger

This one is simple, if not necessarily easy - do my bodyweight workout routine three times a week, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. 
Here is the link to my spreadsheet (posted online for more accountability): Workout Tracker

Also, I never realised before, but spreadsheets are fuuuuuun. Think I've found a new addiction!

If there's any major muscle groups you think I might be missing in there, please let me know - I'm very new to this whole workout thing :)

Extra rep = 1 point each.

Bonus: 20 points +1 STA +1 STR
A - All three workouts for all 6 weeks +1 DEX +2 STR +1 STA
B - All three workouts for 5 weeks +1 DEX +2 STR
C - All three workouts for 4 weeks +1 DEX +1 STR
D - All three workouts for 3 weeks +1 DEX
F - Manage all three less than 2 weeks.

Goal #2 - Got to push it up
Finally manage a full pushup, and then do 9 more. Hopefully.

I'm not sure how hard this will be, since 6 weeks seems like a long time, especially if I'm managing #1 consistently, but I've never actually done a full pushup before. As things stand, I can only manage to lower myself by something like an inch before collapsing. Long way to go there.

A - 10 full pushups. +2 STR +1 STA
B - 5 full pushups +1 STR
C - 1 full pushup +1 STR
F - don't manage a full pushup. 

Goal #3 - The Morning is my Friend. Early Rising is Mandatory.
Wake up in the morning 5x per week.

I waste a lot of time going to bed at 3-4am, long after I've lost the ability to do anything useful with the time (unless compulsively refreshing Facebook counts), and then don't wake up until 1-3pm. I feel like I have a lot more time available when I wake up in the morning, and less prone to getting lost mindlessly clicking. Plus, I'm starting a job in Germany in July, which I'll need to wake up early for - so I need to sort this out.

I'll be posting when I wake up in the morning on this thread, to keep myself accountable. Please scold me if you see too many lie-ins!

Before 8am: 5 points
Before 10am: 4 points
Before noon: 2 points

6x7x5 = Max 210 points
6x5x5 = 150 points = goal

A+ - > 170 points total + 3 WIS
A - > 150 points total + 2 WIS
B - > 130 points total + 1 WIS
C - > 100 points total
D - > 80 points total
F - < 80 points total

Goal #4 - Away, accursed procrastination demon!
Spend 14 hours a week on my projects.
This averages out at two hours a day, which I definitely have time for even at the minute (and will have even more time for if I manage goal #3). The main issue here will be beating my tendency to run away from anything I might not be able to do and pretending it doesn't exist (aka the Ostrich Defence).

Projects:
Coursework - Uni stuff, important but only applicable for the first week.
Programming Algorithms - Implement a set of algorithms in the hopes of understanding how they work.
Modding - Release a roleplay dialogue mod for Morrowind that I've been thinking about for a long time.
Lernu! Esperanto course - Follow this online course to start learning Esperanto.

A - 14 hours all six weeks +1 STA +1 WIS +1 CHA
B - 14 hours for 5 weeks +1 WIS +1 CHA
C - 14 hours for 4 weeks +1 CHA
D - 14 hours for 3 weeks
F - 14 hours for 2 weeks or less.

Shivani - Level 1 - Elf Ranger with Monk aspirations

My Challenge Thread

STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 4

Off to a good start! 

Woke up at 8:30 after going to bed at 2, but had problems actually getting up. Got up at 9 instead (still a four hour improvement on my average wakeup time :D)

Did today's workout as well - may have pushed myself a little too hard (or not eaten enough beforehand) because I felt a little sick afterwards, but I got through it. Goal for wednesday is to maintain today's level rather than improve on it I think. 

My Challenge Thread

9 is so much better than 1 or 3! Great way to start off!

Take pride in yourself, take care of business, exercise because it's fun and you're in for life! ( x )

"I've found that luck is quite predictable. If you want more luck, take more chances. Be more active. Show up more often." - Brian Tracey

Good idea on linking the spreadsheet to the log! I might steal that if you don't mind. About the push ups- have you tried doing them at an incline? You can use stairs in your house, a chair, couch, etc. Whatever height you need to use to get full rom and complete your set. Then work your way down to the floor.

Great goals--major leveling up in store for you!!

Push-ups are good either starting at an incline, ideally one that you can lower week by week, like stairs, or just starting in real push-up position and doing incompletes (shorties), but gradually going lower. This is sometimes also called the magazine method because you can put a stack of magazines under your chest to know how low you are going, gradually removing the magazines one by one as you get stronger. 

Good luck with the challenge!!

Level 7 Ranger, Perpetual Newbie

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

Mary Oliver

9 is so much better than 1 or 3! Great way to start off!

Yeah, definitely :D *pom poms* I think tomorrow & wednesday will be the really hard days for this though, if I can get past those I think my body will start adjusting better.

Good idea on linking the spreadsheet to the log! I might steal that if you don't mind. About the push ups- have you tried doing them at an incline? You can use stairs in your house, a chair, couch, etc. Whatever height you need to use to get full rom and complete your set. Then work your way down to the floor.

Of course, go ahead :) I haven't tried that, I don't have a huge amount of space in my room, but I might be able to rearrange things and give it a try. Thank you :D

My Challenge Thread

Great goals--major leveling up in store for you!!

Push-ups are good either starting at an incline, ideally one that you can lower week by week, like stairs, or just starting in real push-up position and doing incompletes (shorties), but gradually going lower. This is sometimes also called the magazine method because you can put a stack of magazines under your chest to know how low you are going, gradually removing the magazines one by one as you get stronger. 

Good luck with the challenge!!

Yay, levelling :D 

Good advice, will give it a go. Thank you!

My Challenge Thread

Fantastic goals (I really should do the "wake up like a normal human being one" sometime - but I have a feeling consistent exercise will help with that!) Best of luck!

Le cÅ“ur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connaît point. (The heart has its reasons that reason cannot know.)

@kawaiidragoness || @KawaChallenge || Reddit || Tumblr || Youtube || Dropbox (cloud storage) || Kiva (microloans for the world's economy!) || Universe Project 

L2 Spriggan AssassinSTR 5 | DEX 3 | CON 7.67 | STA 6 | WIS 5.5 | CHA 4.67QUEST || CHALLENGE: Lair (0) Start-Scummer (1) UD (2)

Heya Shivani!      Just checking in on my teamie here.    Looks good!   Love the goals.   All neat and organized and well thought out, and points already broken down.

I am so jealous of folks picking up other languages.  I'd love to learn Japanese because ... I'm a major dork and think it'd be fun to watch anime without reading subtitles. ;)  But I hear that one is a doozy heh.  

Level 72 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Sorry for no update yesterday, was on the run all day. Got up at 10 (+2 points) - had intended to get up earlier, but some of my hallmates decided that 2am was the perfect time to start a really loud party, so I didn't get to sleep until after three. I don't do well healthwise when I don't get enough sleep, so I decided to take a slightly safer option there.

Today was even worse sleepwise - after having gone to bed at 5:30am (a standard pub visit with my friends somehow ended up taking us to a gay bar, and then when I got home I remembered I had a report due in by 10am - whoops! Frantic last minute writing there. Great night though :D) I got up again at 9(+4) for a lecture. Ouch. Hopefully I'll manage to go to bed at a reasonable time tonight!

Total points for Goal #3 - 10

Haven't done my workout for today yet, and I've been neglecting #4, so the plan is to do an hour or two of work on my projects now, then do the workout, then reward myself with food and shower.  :onthego:

(Am I the only one who loves these smilies a ridiculous amount? They're so fun!  :mushroom:  :moon:  :pirate: )

Great challenge!  Good luck!

Great goals, I have a couple in common with you. Good luck with the challenge and great job starting off strong. 

Thanks guys! Good luck to you also :)

Fantastic goals (I really should do the "wake up like a normal human being one" sometime - but I have a feeling consistent exercise will help with that!) Best of luck!

It does seem to be! At least, it's making the "falling asleep" bit a lot easier, when I actually manage to get to bed. Thanks :)

Heya Shivani!      Just checking in on my teamie here.    Looks good!   Love the goals.   All neat and organized and well thought out, and points already broken down.

I am so jealous of folks picking up other languages.  I'd love to learn Japanese because ... I'm a major dork and think it'd be fun to watch anime without reading subtitles. ;)  But I hear that one is a doozy heh.  

I'm a Computer Scientist, I can't help it - spreadsheets are in our blood! xD 

Being able to watch anime sans subtitles would be absolutely amazing. From what I know of the language, it's fairly regular (not like crazy old English!) which makes it easier, but then you have all the different levels of formality to deal with ... What sort of anime are you into? I remember being traumatised by Air when I was younger. It's so sad ;____;

My Challenge Thread

I hope your projects and workout went well - good to see that you are making good progress on waking up earlier!  With rowdy neighbors that can be a tricky goal, but you're sticking to it.  :)

FluffyRin  --  Ranger (Level 4)

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 4.5 | CON 10 | WIS 10 | CHA 6

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, Current

Back in the day, my first trek into Anime was with The Record Of Lodoss War.   Also did Ruin Explorers, Bastard, Fist of the North Star, Macross, stuff like that.  (I think I just dated myself ... geek style.)     I was reacquainted with anime when my friend insisted I watch Naruto.   At first I resisted, but omg, that series grew on me and I find loads of inspiration from it (obviously, heh).   Watched FLCL, started the new Attack on Titan that crunchyroll is featuring.    And just this past Sunday, same friend got me to watch Gargantia and I am enjoying that.   I think I'd watch tons more if I just had more time and less other hobbies.

Level 72 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

I hope your projects and workout went well - good to see that you are making good progress on waking up earlier!  With rowdy neighbors that can be a tricky goal, but you're sticking to it.   :)

Thanks! I'm being helped by the fact that there's a lot of end of term stuff on at uni that requires us to be in at 9am, so I really can't afford to lie in for too long. I think next week will be the true test, since summer officially starts for me then. *dance*

I've got some setup done for the projects (baby steps, baby steps), and done my workout - had a few issues with pushups and dumbells (stopped pushups halfway through because my form was wrong and I was starting to hurt in weird ways, and I've decided to remove dumbbells since I don't have any proper ones, just a heavy textbook that keeps falling out of my hands - not sure it's doing the job properly), but overall I'm happy. I knew today was going to be hard, but I've kept it more or less even with last time or improved, and when I was doing my stretches I managed to touch the floor for the first time :D :D

Back in the day, my first trek into Anime was with The Record Of Lodoss War.   Also did Ruin Explorers, Bastard, Fist of the North Star, Macross, stuff like that.  (I think I just dated myself ... geek style.)     I was reacquainted with anime when my friend insisted I watch Naruto.   At first I resisted, but omg, that series grew on me and I find loads of inspiration from it (obviously, heh).   Watched FLCL, started the new Attack on Titan that crunchyroll is featuring.    And just this past Sunday, same friend got me to watch Gargantia and I am enjoying that.   I think I'd watch tons more if I just had more time and less other hobbies.

Oh wow, I've never even heard of half of those! *scribbles them on the summer watching list* The two anime I watched religiously were Air and Naruto, for a lot of the others I preferred the manga versions - so things like Bleach, One Piece, Ouran High School Host Club, Full Metal Alchemist, Fruits Basket, Fairy Tail etc. Too restless to sit down for half an hour to watch something {/attention span fail}

Have to agree though, Naruto has something special about it. Just love that little blond goofball - even if he does make me crave ramen every time I watch it. 

Have you ever watched Baccano or Code Geass? My brother raves about them, so they could be worth a watch if you're ever in need of new anime.

If only we needed less sleep... Alas, it does not do to dwell on anime and forget to live! Hobbies are good too ;)

My Challenge Thread

I am somewhere between you two in "anime age", haha. Watched a looooot of Gundam Wing as a kid, Rurouni Kenshin, that sort of thing. My partner still downloads fansubs and we watch together when we can - it's their fault I'm currently obsessive about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. (Maybe I should do a posing-based challenge sometime...hmmmmmmmm....) And I'm with Starpuck on recommending Attack on Titan - I'm reading the manga now and it's EXCELLENT.

ANYWAY BACK ON TOPIC: Good to see you're on track with your workouts! Hopefully your sleep schedule and productivity is improving, too.

Le cÅ“ur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connaît point. (The heart has its reasons that reason cannot know.)

@kawaiidragoness || @KawaChallenge || Reddit || Tumblr || Youtube || Dropbox (cloud storage) || Kiva (microloans for the world's economy!) || Universe Project 

L2 Spriggan AssassinSTR 5 | DEX 3 | CON 7.67 | STA 6 | WIS 5.5 | CHA 4.67QUEST || CHALLENGE: Lair (0) Start-Scummer (1) UD (2)

Thanks guys :D

So, progress update:

• Uni is finished for the year. No more coursework to worry about, wheeee. 
  • I did all my workouts this week. I've started working out before but never managed to stick to a schedule, so I'm pretty proud of this.  :victorious:
  • I've managed to get up before 12 every day this week, for a total of 22 points. Whoop whoop! I seem to be going to bed earlier without even noticing it as well - when I woke up today I started calculating how much sleep I got and had a moment of confusion: "Did I really go to bed at 12?" Goal for next week is to keep this up, and have at least one pre-8am wakeup.
  • Spreadsheets are awesome. How did I not know this?!
  • Haven't really made much progress on my projects. Technically I counted my coursework as a project and spent a lot of time in uni doing stuff related to that, but I didn't really spend any focused time on it. Since the point of that goal is to overcome procrastination/train my ability to focus I don't really feel right including that time here. Might make another spreadsheet to make it easier to track the time I do spend though. (Someone stop me, I'm addicted!)
  • I ate smoked salmon yesterday, after having been a vegetarian for a year. Not quite sure what to think of that yet. Logically it seems like paleo is the healthier diet, but I have a lot of concerns about factory farming/mass produced meat. For the moment I'm compromising by only eating ethically sourced meat (pastured, welfare standard branded etc). Either way I don't think I'll be eating as much as I did before I went vegetarian. 

My Challenge Thread

Thanks guys :D

So, progress update:

• Uni is finished for the year. No more coursework to worry about, wheeee. 
  • I ate smoked salmon yesterday, after having been a vegetarian for a year. Not quite sure what to think of that yet. Logically it seems like paleo is the healthier diet, but I have a lot of concerns about factory farming/mass produced meat. For the moment I'm compromising by only eating ethically sourced meat (pastured, welfare standard branded etc). Either way I don't think I'll be eating as much as I did before I went vegetarian. 

COngrats on finishing up for the year--ah, jealousy for the student life! Also, I'm with you on the factory farmed meat. It keeps me from eating a lot of meat because I try to only eat the good, ethically raised, grass-fed, organic stuff, and I can only afford a little. Which is how I should be eating anyway, It all works out in the end if you stick to your convictions of what's right for your body, the animals, the environment...

Level 7 Ranger, Perpetual Newbie

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

Mary Oliver

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines