Chanda: Do It Now

Chanda

I have a 6 week long roller-coaster ride ahead of me: parenting related challenges, work challenges, preparing for and running a training session, 2 trips, 2 birthdays to prepare for and celebrate, 1 anniversary, training for a 5k race and a bunch of other stuff. The old me would not be taking part in this 6 week challenge. Yet, here I am ready to start another round. Things are so close to "clicking" for me, I have to keep going!

My goals this challenge are another evolution from what I have been doing for the past 5 challenges. I simplified things and refined them to fit in with my current focus areas: maintain my progress so far, train for a 5k race and do the stuff that needs to get done in the next 6 weeks. My goals can be summarized in 3 words:

1. Maintain
2. Train
3. Do

Scoring will not be super strict, goal is to be good on more days than not. I am looking for results, not perfection. :)

I can hear you thinking: "3 words are not enough to define a complete challenge!". How exactly am I going to get results? Below is the detailed description of my 3 goals:

1. Zen Energizer Bunny:

energizer-pink-bunny.jpg

Goal: Continue to eat, drink, sleep and relax at a level that allows me to perform at 100%. 

I've lost weight, gained muscle and have a lot more energy by tracking closely and doing the things listed below (and exercising). Target is to maintain the good habits I've created during the past 5 challenges but to stop tracking as closely. At the end of each day I will rate my performance in the following areas:
  • Fuel the Body: Food & drink: eat good food not too much/not too little, drink enough fluids, keep coffee down to 1 coffee per day, desserts allowed but no large desserts every day, no major evening snacking. (+2 CON) 
  • Regenerative Sleep: maintain good sleeping habits. Going to bed at a reasonable time and getting up when I need, earlier is better. (+1 WIS, +1 CON)
  • Reboot the Mind: time for myself and/or relax&train the mind, anything counts: meditation, stitching, reading, bubble bath, puzzles, etc. (+1 CHA) 
Score: Based on average of all 3 areas: A: >=85% and maintained or improved body composition, B: >=70% and maintained or improved body composition, C: >=55%, D: >=40%, E: >=25%, F: <25%. One attribute point in each area earned for >=70% performance in that area. For areas with 2 points, the second point is earned if >=85% performance.  

2. Lean Mean Running Machine: 

xxcheetahoilpaintingdf6.jpg

Goal: Train for the 5k.  

I am training for a 5k that will take place on 18.July. The training plan I devised does not include anything new, it is an adjustment of the workouts I already do. Adjustment is aimed at maintaining strength/flexibility and improving my running while staying injury free. To achieve this: I am reducing the number and intensity of body weight workouts & yoga sessions, slightly increasing the number of runs and being consistent about doing speed training once a week. Where a range is given: doing less or more workouts is not allowed to avoid under/over training. 
  • Run Regularly: on average 2 to 3 runs per week. Increase distance of longer runs to 6km (+2 STA)
  • Run Faster: 5 to 7 of the runs above must be speed/hill work. Increase race pace to well under 7:00min/km. (+1 STR)
  • Maintain Strength: on average 1 to 2 bby sessions per week usually on the days I do my easy run (+1 STR)
  • Maintain Flexibility: do at least 1 yoga session per week (+1 DEX). 
Score:  A: success in all 4 areas stated above (means did all planned workouts and reached stated speed and distance goals), B: success in 3 areas, C: success in 2 areas, D: success in 1 area, E: some areas partially done, F: nothing done. Attribute point earned for success in each area. For "run regularly": 1 point earned for doing the workouts and the other for achieving the distance.

3. Productivity Ninja:

tumblr_me4rwiddiL1qfl2mto1_1280.jpg

Goal: Apply Do It Now to master daily life and get things done. 

This goal builds on the habits that I have been working on in previous challenges (and for many years before joining NF). The thing that changes for this challenge is that I will be focusing on using the "Do It Now" principle to achieve the results I want to see. At the end of each day I will rate my performance in the following areas:
  • Connections: Daily time/attention with my girls and husband, occasional dog walks plus regular contact with family and friends (+1 CHA) 
  • Home: Making sure that my House feels like a Home by doing routines. (+1 DEX) 
  • Efficient: On time meetings/appointments/deliveries affecting others. (+1 CHA)
  • Harvest the Fruits of my Labour: regular progress each day and 15 items from my list done by end of the challenge. (+2 WIS)
 Score: Based on average of all 4 areas: A: >=85% and 15 items done, B: >=70%, C: >=55%, D: >=40%, E: >=25%, F: <25%. Attribute point in each area earned for >=70% performance in that area. Doing 15 items from my list earns the second point.

Thats it... simple and easy! :D

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Chanda,

Great job on making the commitment! With all of the stuff you have going on over the next weeks, it would be so easy to sit this one out. And to take on "Guild Leader" on top of all of that - you rock! Excellent idea to focus on maintaining and not losing the momentum. Best wishes during the upcoming weeks...

"Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

I took a moment to glance back at some of your previous challenges. You are an inspiration to not only work hard on this challenge, but to keep it up for a few more. I look forward to hearing about your progress!

Class: Druid

Race: Half-Elf

STR:3  DEX:2  STA:2  CON:2  WIS:4  CHA:2  

Current 6 Week Challenge

Trying to maintain my blissful ignorance about the world. Wasn't it better when fairy tales were real?

~ Emanluke

Chanda! It has been such a pleasure to see you progress so quickly, in every way but especially in commitment and determination. It is such an honor to work with you! Looks like we both have a lot happening this challenge- your goal for sleeping, eating, etc. is going to be crucial. You are a rockstar!

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Every time I think of you I recall Spezzy's challenge goal a while back: "More organized than Chanda" (or something to that effect, anyhow). 

You've got such a wonderful, well thought out set up.  I can see why you've done so well (and why you'll surely do well with this challenge, too). 

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

*tips hat* Whew! So much going on, no one would blame you for sitting this one out - but I am so glad to see you!

I got worried when I didn't see your updates, but now I see why -- ditto the above, you amazing champion.

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

Chanda,

Great job on making the commitment! With all of the stuff you have going on over the next weeks, it would be so easy to sit this one out. And to take on "Guild Leader" on top of all of that - you rock! Excellent idea to focus on maintaining and not losing the momentum. Best wishes during the upcoming weeks...

Thank you! I am wishing I had sat this one out... but will keep fighting and will succeed in the end! :)

I took a moment to glance back at some of your previous challenges. You are an inspiration to not only work hard on this challenge, but to keep it up for a few more. I look forward to hearing about your progress!

Thanks! I'll be posting an update soon... so far not doing great. However, the first 3 weeks are the busiest in my schedule so I am looking forward to the last 3 weeks. 

Aaah Chanda: Do It Now...

Me likey! Actually my partner's grandmother had that as her motto, and it's a good one indeed.

I'm continuing the running goal as well this time, see you on the tracks!

Do It Now... is a very wise motto. I can definetely see how it can make a huge difference... if only I get myself to actually do it!

Today I ran 5km for the first time since 2008. Very happy! :)

Chanda! It has been such a pleasure to see you progress so quickly, in every way but especially in commitment and determination. It is such an honor to work with you! Looks like we both have a lot happening this challenge- your goal for sleeping, eating, etc. is going to be crucial. You are a rockstar!

Thank you! I must confess I feel like I am taking on a bit too much at the moment... but I often feel this way when I start a new challenge. These first 3 weeks are crazy busy... I can not wait for the last 3 weeks!

*tips hat* Whew! So much going on, no one would blame you for sitting this one out - but I am so glad to see you!

Thanks. Actually, you will be lucky to see me... I am barely finding time to come online. Hopefully after Wednesday I'll have more time! :)

Every time I think of you I recall Spezzy's challenge goal a while back: "More organized than Chanda" (or something to that effect, anyhow). 

You've got such a wonderful, well thought out set up.  I can see why you've done so well (and why you'll surely do well with this challenge, too). 

Yes, that was a bit of a shock to see Spezzy's challenge goal from awhile back... little does she know I am fighting hard to be organized! :)

Thanks. I am actually pretty good at coming up with well thought out set ups. The follow through is not as good. But getting better each time!

I got worried when I didn't see your updates, but now I see why -- ditto the above, you amazing champion.

*hugs* I am touched that you got worried. Its been a crazy busy couple of weeks and have another 3 days of busy ahead. After that I hope to get a breather.

I am really looking forward to visiting everyone's challenges and be inspired! :D

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

We are halfway through the challenge and I finally have an update... I've been absent but not entirely inactive:

1. Zen Energizer Bunny:

Goal: Continue to eat, drink, sleep and relax at a level that allows me to perform at 100%. 
  • Fuel the Body: Food & drink:  currently rated at 83.9%
  • Regenerative Sleep: currently rated at 80.9%
  • Reboot the Mind: currently rated at 100% 

Score: Average of all 3 areas is 88.3%. Weight is stable and my body fat % dropped by 0.6%. That qualifies as a solid A.

I am very surprised about the improvement in body fat % since I have been snacking quite a bit and having dessert almost every day too. I guess not as much as in the past, since I am still making progress. For the next week I will be indulging quite a bit... we have a 4 day trip planned into the heart of the Black Forrest... The home of the Black Forrest Cake. I booked us in for several "foodie" activities and we are staying in a hotel with a 4 course dinner each evening and buffet breakfast each morning. Need I say more???? :D I will of course be making intelligent choices about what I eat. 

Getting into bad sleeping habits again... so I need to improve on that for my own sanity.

Sadly Reboot the Mind has been mostly watching TV in the evenings. Need to change that! I think for next part of the challenge I will not allow myself to count TV watching as a full Reboot the Mind point.

• Run Regularly: 5 of expected 6 done. 
  • Run Faster: 3 of expected 3 speed workouts done.
  • Maintain Strength: 1 of expected 3 done.
  • Maintain Flexibility: 2 of expected 3 done. 
Score:  That qualifies as a solid D.

Yep a D... ouch. However, I am seeing results, currently I can keep a pace of just under 7:00min/km and my distance is up to just over 5km. So with a little bit of work I can bring this score up. And more importantly, I am right on track for the distance and pace goals! 

3. Productivity Ninja:
  • Connections: currently rated at 75.3%
  • Home: currently rated at 54.8%
  • Efficient: currently rated at 91.7%
  • Harvest the Fruits of my Labour: of expected 7.5 tasks done.
 Score: Average of all 3 areas is 72.1%. I am doing well on getting stuff done. That qualifies as a solid B.

The home front is still a struggle and I have not been spending as much time with family and friends as planned. I am however getting a few things done (much better effort than in past challenges). Completed so far:

1. Completed online training on intercultural issues
  2. Got summer shoes for myself and my 2 girls (thats 6 pairs of shoes that needed to be found and fit well)
  3. Prepared for and celebrated husbands birthday
  4. Went away for a 2 day training course on virtual teams
  5. Survived the girls attending their first big party, including the drive and the fact they were up 4 hours later than usual! And we even had fun!
  6. New dinning room furniture setup and old furniture dismantled. 
  7. Prepared for and run a 2 hour course at work
  8. Booked and took 2 year old to her checkup
  9. Booked myself into a 4 hour self defense course and attended the course.

Scores would have been much better, but I totally slacked off during week 3.   :topsy_turvy:

The 4 day long weekend will probably set my eating and exercising goals back a bit. But its going to be awesome fun with my husband and the girls, so I don't care.

At work life is crazy. I feel like I am not running a project, instead I am standing in the middle of a mine field with no map of where the mines have been hidden. Thats the long way to say I am stressed beyond belief. I have no hope of getting a lot of the stuff sorted out in the near future, but I do need to bring some kind of order into the general chaos. Hopefully the weekend away will give me enough distance that I'll come back on Monday with a clear head.

Overall I am happy with what I got done so far this challenge! Target for the second half of the challenge is to not let work stress take over, instead I want to improve on the exercise front and maintain the rest of what I am doing... while dealing with my work Dragons!

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

My, but you have been busy! Enjoy the long weekend - you deserve it!

Regarding work: have you ever played the game Minesweeper?  :playful:

Thanks! And yes, I know Minesweeper, played it quite a lot. Its a bit like it... except no numbers giving hints as to how many mines are hiding in the surrounding cells. 

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

Back from a run. Really needed it following the past 2 days at work. Originally I thought I would work after dinner... instead I said stuff it I am going for a run. It was awesome! :D

Tomorrow will be an extremely busy day. Lots of things to finish at work and also need to pack for 4 days away with 2 toddlers. 

I am wondering if I should make the effort to get up early enough on Thursday morning to get a run in before we leave. We plan to drive off at 6:30am. Hmmm, I dont think I am that far along my become a morning person journey to manage that... It will probably depend on how late I go to bed. :))

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

Note:  do NOT answer this post !!  (one less thing for the to-do list :).  But I'm letting you know I'm looking in on you, with hopes you enjoyed yourself and didn't over do.

Mhhh Schwarzwälder Kirsch. Lecker!

Great job so far! And thanks for beeing so active around the forum. I just had time to do a round and it is sooo interesting to see the people evolving. but time consuming.

Keep it up! And the good challenges! I love it, even when I have to cut them for my time budget.

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

And thanks for beeing so active around the forum.

Thanks (to both of you) for your dedication.  What is that saying -- "if you want something done, give it to a person who's already busy."

FINAL REPORT:

1. Zen Energizer Bunny:

• Fuel the Body: Food & drink: rated at 80.5%
  • Regenerative Sleep: rated at 76.8%
  • Reboot the Mind: rated at 100% 

Score: Average of all 3 areas is 85.76% and I am happy with the changes to my body composition... I regained my lost muscle, overall score is an A

A lot of snacking took place in the evenings. Weight is up 0.4kg from the beginning of the challenge and my fat% is up 0.2. This might sound bad... but my lean mass is also up. In fact, I reached my original-pre-start-of-weight-loss lean mass weight of 42.9kg. This means I regained muscle. I am very happy about that. It means that overall I lost 8.4kg of fat and no muscle loss! Regaining lost muscle and returning to 42.9kg lean mass was one of my goals for 2013.  :triumphant:

Sleeping habits were not great towards the end of the challenge and I need to improve on that.

Reboot the Mind was mostly watching TV in the evenings. Not really a constructive use of my time... but I think I needed that so I am letting myself have that as a comfort thing to do.

• Run Regularly: 12 done
  • Run Faster: of expected 6 speed workouts done.
  • Maintain Strength: of expected 6 done.
  • Maintain Flexibility: of expected 6 done. 
Score:  That qualifies as a C. During training my longest run was 8.7km. And I run the 5.1km race I was training for in 34:19, thats a pace of 6:43min/km. That means I achieved my goal of a pace well under 7min/km and of training distance. So I am calling it a C+

I made a conscious decision to stop the Strength training because it was interfering with the running. The lack of yoga was pure laziness... no excuse for that! Overall I am happy that I am back into running... and training for and running a 5km was part of my 2013 goals... so another goal ticked off with this challenge. 

3. Productivity Ninja:
  • Connections: currently rated at 75.6%
  • Home: currently rated at 51.2%
  • Efficient: currently rated at 93.5%
  • Harvest the Fruits of my Labour: 19 of 15 tasks done.
 Score: Average of all 3 areas is 72.8%. And I got a lot done. That qualifies as a solid B.

The home front is still a struggle but I seem to be developing better habits... I hope eventually this area will fall into place. I got quite a few things done (much better effort than in past challenges). Completed:

1. Completed online training on intercultural issues
  2. Got summer shoes for myself and my 2 girls (thats 6 pairs of shoes that needed to be found and fit well)
  3. Prepared for and celebrated husbands birthday
  4. Went away for a 2 day training course on virtual teams
  5. Survived the girls attending their first big party, including the drive and the fact they were up 4 hours later than usual! And we even had fun!
  6. New dinning room furniture setup and old furniture dismantled. 
  7. Prepared for and run a 2 hour course at work
  8. Booked and took 2 year old to her checkup
  9. Booked myself into a 4 hour self defense course and attended the course.
  10. Prepared offer at work I had been procrastinating about for months
  11. Celebrated daughters birthday
  12. Organised and went on a mini-holiday with the family
  13. Got a new car and sold my old car
  14. Ordered a new door for the fridge and shelves for the highboards
  15. Looked after sick daughter for a week (UNPLANNED)
  16. Dealt with daughter's elbow popping out twice within the space of a week (1 trip to hospital, a check with her doctor and discussions with kindergarden for avoiding that this happens again) (UNPLANNED)
  17. Organised removal of old furniture and a few other unnecessary items
  18. Supported a 3 day quality audit at work (UNPLANNED)
  19. Organise the mini-challenges for this 6 week challenge.

This challenge was crazy for me. Work was and still is stressful and I am doing my best not to let it take over my life completely. I found myself dealing with 3 unplanned and highly stressful events in the second part of the challenge (although they were not planned I am counting them towards things done).

I am quite proud that I kept up with the challenge and training for the 5km, even if I was barely online on the NF forums. I am happy with the changes to my body and feel in control in that area (even if the snacking needs to be reduced), my 5km pace was a new PR and I am proud of all the things I got done in the 6 weeks.

A lot of changes are going on in the way I think and prioritize my life. Its exciting and I expect to see some positive things happening soon. 

Overall I am going to give myself a B+. I am VERY HAPPY that I am starting to get things done!

That means that I level up. Old stats were:
Level 6: STR: 11 | DEX: 12 | STA: 13 | CON: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 16

New stats are:
Level 7: STR: 12 | DEX: 12 | STA: 15 | CON: 18 | WIS: 20 | CHA: 19

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines