Losing Machines

I CAAAAAN bake, I just prefer not to...mainly because I hate following recipes and constantly measuring stuff.  When I cook with a recipe, I usually just try to get a feel for what the basics of the dish are and then add my own 'flair' to it.

But send the Paleo donut recipe...maybe I can convince my g/f to make them for me (she's doing Paleo too).  She likes to bake.  :)

Tonight's dinner:  Paleo Creamy Cajun Chicken Noodles

Wanted something different tonight and this just kinda popped in my head so I decided to experiment.  Turned out pretty good; creamy, spicy, noodley...all things I love!

Photo isn't a very good one. :\  If anyone wants the recipe, just let me know and I'll post it:

IMAG03181.jpg

Ben-Ro, that does look pretty good. Could you share the recipe? I have a bunch of chicken in the freezer that I haven't been inspired to do anything with yet. 

It hasn't been a great day for me, got stuck at work until 8pm, don't feel any desire to cook anything for dinner, not that hungry either, no time to get out for a walk now because there's homework to do... ARRG! At that point where the ice cream in the freezer is calling my name. 

I will leave the ice cream where it is, but I think an almond/coconut milk chai latte is in my future, along with primal pizza bites (using the pepperoni as the 'crust') and spinach salad.

Level 2 Kitsune Adventurer

STR: 6 / DEX:  2 / STA: 4.5 / CON:  7.75 / WIS: 6 / CHA: 2.5

First Challenge + MC#1&4

Current Mini-Challenges Complete: MC#1,#2 +.5 CHA&WIS, +1 CON

Inventory: Fire Flower Power Up

Current Challenge

Here's what I did for the Cajun noodles:

1-1.5 lbs of chicken (white or dark meat, I used dark), sliced

2 bell peppers, diced

1 large onion, diced

1 shallot, sliced (optional)

4 celery stalks, diced

1 cup spinach, sliced (optional...I put spinach in lots of things just cause it's good for me)

1 large tomato, diced

1/2 flat-leaf parsley, chopped

juice of half a lemon

1 pkg kelp noodles

2 Tbs Coconut Oil

1 can Coconut Milk

2-3 Tbs (at least) of Emeril's Essence (I recommend making your own.  It's cheaper and I eliminate about 75% of the salt when I make it too.  Here's a recipe...I always have this on hand,  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/emerils-essence-recipe/index.html)

Salt and pepper to taste

Heat 1 Tbs of the coconut oil over medium to medium-low heat in a large saute pan.  Saute the bell pepper, onion and celery until soft.  Don't cook too fast, veggies shouldn't get browned.  When veggies are soft, remove from pan and set aside.  

Melt the other Tbs of oil in the pan over medium to medium-high heat and add the chicken.  Cook for about one minute, stirring frequently.  Add the 2-3 Tbs of Essence to the pan and continue to stir.  The spices will kind of clump up and stick to the pan a bit.  That's ok.  Just keep things moving.  Cook for 1 more minute, continuing stirring.  (The chicken will only be about halfway cooked, but that's ok.)  

Stir in the can of coconut milk to the pan and scrape the bottom of the pan to get all the spices off the bottom.

Add the veggies back in the pan and stir them in.  (Add in spinach now if you're using it.) Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer slowly for about 20 mins.

After the 20 mins is up, remove from heat, taste and adjust seasoning.

Add the lemon juice and tomato and stir in.  Serve over kelp noodles.  Top with chopped parsley.

(Hope I didn't miss anything...)

^

I am so going to try that! Hey where do you get kelp noodles?

My diet is going good, still watching carefully what I eat. Unfortunately I am always active because I have to take care of the livestock on the ranch. So me going to an all veggie and meat diet with no slow burning carbs has never worked. But I don't want to eat bread or rice! Anyone have any suggestions?

Breakfast: Cereal (no sugar, no wheat kind),   Lunch: Mahi patty wrapped in romain, tomatoe, brown mustard, cheese, and baked chips   Dinner: Open faced burger, and the bread is sourdough. Snacks are usually veggies and dip, fruit, or some yogurt.

There's a place near me in Cincinnati called Jungle Jim's.  It's an international market where they carry all sorts of specialty goods from different countries all over world.  They sell them in the Asian section (not sure which country).

I would guess that your best bet to buy them locally would be in some sort of Asian grocery store.  Other than that, the Internet is a wonderful thing.  I know they sell them on Amazon.

Also, for carb suggestions, sweet potatoes are a pretty good alternative to grains if you need carbs to make it through the day.

Here's a recipe for mashed sweet potatoes I came up with about a month ago that's really good.

(If you don't want the sugar, just take out the maple syrup...it's really not needed.)

1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and diced

1/2-1 cup of caramelized onions, to your taste (recipe here:  http://www.simplyrec...amelize_onions/)

(side note:  I LOVE caramelized onions.  If you decide to do a paleo or low-carb diet, they're a great way to sweeten dishes without sugar or other sweeteners.  I almost always have some on hand.)

2 Tbs. maple syrup (the real stuff, not the fake kind...it's worth the price difference...optional)

1 tsp. ground sage

Salt to taste

Boil the sweet potatoes until fork tender, drain and mash (just like regular mashed potatoes).  Mix in the onions, maple syrup, sage, and salt.  After mixing well, give it a taste.  You should barely be able to taste the sage.  If you can't taste it, add a bit more and mix in well.

Here's what I did for the Cajun noodles:

1-1.5 lbs of chicken (white or dark meat, I used dark), sliced

2 bell peppers, diced

1 large onion, diced

1 shallot, sliced (optional)

4 celery stalks, diced

1 cup spinach, sliced (optional...I put spinach in lots of things just cause it's good for me)

1 large tomato, diced

1/2 flat-leaf parsley, chopped

juice of half a lemon

1 pkg kelp noodles

2 Tbs Coconut Oil

1 can Coconut Milk

2-3 Tbs (at least) of Emeril's Essence (I recommend making your own.  It's cheaper and I eliminate about 75% of the salt when I make it too.  Here's a recipe...I always have this on hand,  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/emerils-essence-recipe/index.html)

Salt and pepper to taste

Heat 1 Tbs of the coconut oil over medium to medium-low heat in a large saute pan.  Saute the bell pepper, onion and celery until soft.  Don't cook too fast, veggies shouldn't get browned.  When veggies are soft, remove from pan and set aside.  

Melt the other Tbs of oil in the pan over medium to medium-high heat and add the chicken.  Cook for about one minute, stirring frequently.  Add the 2-3 Tbs of Essence to the pan and continue to stir.  The spices will kind of clump up and stick to the pan a bit.  That's ok.  Just keep things moving.  Cook for 1 more minute, continuing stirring.  (The chicken will only be about halfway cooked, but that's ok.)  

Stir in the can of coconut milk to the pan and scrape the bottom of the pan to get all the spices off the bottom.

Add the veggies back in the pan and stir them in.  (Add in spinach now if you're using it.) Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer slowly for about 20 mins.

After the 20 mins is up, remove from heat, taste and adjust seasoning.

Add the lemon juice and tomato and stir in.  Serve over kelp noodles.  Top with chopped parsley.

(Hope I didn't miss anything...)

YUM!!!

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Hi y'all :) Sorry I have been MIA, but my progress with my challenges seems to be directly correlated with forum participation...so yeah, yesterday and the day before were not good. My friend came to town, whom I love dearly, but she is chaotic and extroverted, and I am SO not...so her being here throws my whole world into a blender, and it's pretty much belnding on it's own with the recent events, so I'm struggling, plus there is a hurricane coming, so swimming has been totally not happening, bc of incessant rain. So my newly created plan, vanished, and I pray it doesnt take me the rest of the challenge just to get it back!

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

A few things I forgot to mention about the recipe:

1 - This batch made about 4 servings with 1 to

1 1/2 servings of the sauce leftover (which I froze)

2 - Lightly salt the veggies when sauteeing.  It will help pull the moisture out and they'll cook down more quickly.

3 - Kelp noodles are normally crunchy.  I boil them for about 10 mins to help soften them up a bit, and once they get the sauce on them, they really soften up into a texture VERY similar to normal pasta noodles.

4 - I had to add a little water to the sauce after about 5 mins of simmering.  The sauce was getting too thick.  You want the sauce to barely coat the back of a spoon.

Thanks. Now I'm drooling.

I sincerely apologize...

But not really. :)

Ohh... Look at all these fantastic food and recipes!! XD

Check out the recipe for velvety butternut squash that I posted earlier on this thread.  That stuff is amazing.  I may have to pick up a squash on the way home now...

Hi y'all :) Sorry I have been MIA, but my progress with my challenges seems to be directly correlated with forum participation...so yeah, yesterday and the day before were not good. My friend came to town, whom I love dearly, but she is chaotic and extroverted, and I am SO not...so her being here throws my whole world into a blender, and it's pretty much belnding on it's own with the recent events, so I'm struggling, plus there is a hurricane coming, so swimming has been totally not happening, bc of incessant rain. So my newly created plan, vanished, and I pray it doesnt take me the rest of the challenge just to get it back!

You're gonna let a little hurricane stop you?  I understand about not swimming, but you could do something else.  Do some jumping jacks.  Do part of the Beginner Bodyweight Workout.  Do some 'downward dog'.  (That's a yoga thing, right?)  Roll around on the ground kicking and screaming and flailingn around for 15 mins about how you don't want to do a workout...and then you've just done a workout!  Just move!  Get back on track starting TODAY! :)

Okay - heads up all. DON'T GO TO O'CHARLEY'S ON WEDNESDAY!

Wednesday is date night for me and the fiancee`. I'm craving steak, and she doesn't want something that heavy, so we decide to try the OC that's been down the road for 2 years that we've never gone to. 

They just revamped their image and menu, so sure, let's give it a shot. 

We stay strong, order waters instead of beers, pass on the free rolls, I'm getting steak & salmon and she's getting a black & blue salad. 

Doing well, right?

WEDNESDAY IS FREE PIE DAY AT O'CHARLEY'S.

Something about me: I'm a conessuer of pie. I love pie. I have to try pie, and it it's not a good filling, or the crust isn't up to snuff, then i can resist it, but I have to try it. 

They were good pies. 

Classic Apple and French Silk (chocolate). Also available are caramel, peach, and pecan. 

BEWARE!

Level 1 Ogre Adventurer 

(Dreaming of being a Troll Ranger)

My Challenge Post

I have lost 4 pounds so far all thanks to eating healthy and good old-fashioned exercise:)

I have found being on Paleo has been pretty easy.

Some suggestions for those who need some help.

-Chicken/turkey Club- instead of bread, I use lettuce, I use it like a taco. (my kids love this)

-fruit salad breakfast. Apples, oranges, cinnamon, and coconut milk from the can for extra fat. It is so good and easy to make. Make extras for snack for the day, just add the milk when ready to eat.

-buy bulk frozen berries of your choice and use half and half. Good dessert. Or you an use coconut milk ( we still use dairy, just not as much.)

-chicken/turkey shephards pie, use less potatoes on top and make a cream sauce for underneath mixed in with peas and green beans and carrots, yum.

Tip:

-coconut milk last 10 days in the fridge.

-We always have fruit and veggies on hand.

-Make extra dinner and have left overs for lunch.

-anything sandwich type can be substituted for lettuce.

Hey Becks, no worries.  Life is all about that: our plans getting upset by other events and us finding the strength and determination to make them happen again.  And you will, Bekah.  There's no day like today, and its a fresh start.

don't forget to stay safe during the hurricane, though!  Being a prairie girl myself....they scare me spitless :)

And Krashenbern....was it a whole pie or a piece of pie? :)

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

The only spaghetti squash I can get are the big ones, and I'm the only one who will eat it. In the end it goes bad and I've wasted money, I think I'll try that kelp noodles. Do they taste different than regular noodles? And do you have to cook them a certain way to?

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines