Maring - Six week challenge

Maring

Hi guys and girls,

I'm completely new to nerd fitness. I came here through an Art of Manliness podcast and I've been checking this place out ever since.

This is my first time joining the six week challenge though. So here goes:

1) Do a light workout every weekday before breakfast (http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/02/28/mornin-bodyweight-workout/)

I do this workout around 3 days a week now. I don't want to do it in the weekends since I feel this would be unsustainable.

2) Do the beginners body weight workout 3 times a week

I've done this one about three times in two weeks now and I want to up the frequency. This will probably be on monday, wednesday and friday.

3) Start driving lessons

The guys in my band keep butchering me that I should get a license so I can take my own stuff to and from gigs.

4) Get a job!

I'm currently an unemployed student. It's hard to do fun stuff when you don't have any money.

At the moment I just want to lose weight and find out what kind of person I want to be.

I would allocate my attributes like this:

STR: 1

DEX: 2

STA: 3

CON: 2

WIS: 4

CHA: 3

In time, I'd like to up my strength a little bit, and definitely up my dexterity and stamina. Also I want to start practicing Pencak Silat, so maybe I'm leaning towards becoming a monk.

Thank you all for helping me do this and best of luck to everyone else,

Maring. 

Level 2 Goblin Adventurer, Monk at heart:

Str: 3|Dex: 3|Sta: 4|Con: 3.5|Wis: 8|Cha: 6

First Challenge

Second Challenge

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

UPDATE:

I weighed myself this morning. 78.5. In Kg's that is. I'm pretty small (1,78 m) and not really muscular, so there's a lot of fat centered around my waist and belly.

I did the light morning workout and am just about to start the beginners body weight workout.

Let's see if that number changes. (Or maybe it just stays the same and I exchange fat for muscle, which is great too.)

First Challenge

Second Challenge

good goals there Maring

I wouldn't obsess about the numbers when it comes to your weight.  I think you'd be better off taking some pics (front & side) in your duds every couple of weeks and then compare them.  You wont notice the slight differences that your body is going through, but then when you compare before/during/after pics you will be able to see it (hopefully).

That before breakfast workout looks very tempting to try out.  I think I could probably squeeze that into the time I have from getting up to having breakfast with the family.  I may even get my kids involved :-)

Scout - Lvl 1

MyFitnessPal

tumblr

weight

1) Do a light workout every weekday before breakfast (http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/02/28/mornin-bodyweight-workout/)

I do this workout around 3 days a week now. I don't want to do it in the weekends since I feel this would be unsustainable.

2) Do the beginners body weight workout 3 times a week

I've done this one about three times in two weeks now and I want to up the frequency. This will probably be on monday, wednesday and friday.

3) Start driving lessons

The guys in my band keep butchering me that I should get a license so I can take my own stuff to and from gigs.

4) Get a job!

I'm currently an unemployed student. It's hard to do fun stuff when you don't have any money.

Hey Maring! I'm new as well, and also starting out with the basic bodyweight workout. If you keep an eye on me doing it, I'll do the same for you! ;)

Damn, that morning workout looks way too tough for me. There's some serious balancing in the first (and second) exercise, and I do not have the body strength for neither push-ups nor skullcrushers yet! I think you're pretty brave to start out with that, and if you can do it in the morning 5 days a week, then WOW! I wish you the best of luck with it and look forward to hearing how you do it! :D

Maybe you should specify a bit on, how are you going to get a job? Are you going to hand in 2 job applications a week, more, less? Are you going to participate in any networking events? Because *you* don't ultimately control wether you get a job or not (somebody has to decide to hire you), but you *can* control how much effort you put into trying. Do you need to apply to jobs that require a portfolio? A good CV? Then you should maybe focus on bringing those things up to speed. :)

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself." - Amelia Earhart.

Level 1 Adventurer, Human

STR 1|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 4|WIS 4.5|CHA 4.5

First challenge!

Tumblr food journal

That before breakfast workout looks very tempting to try out.  I think I could probably squeeze that into the time I have from getting up to having breakfast with the family.  I may even get my kids involved :-)

It's really nice to do. I've been doing this workout for a couple of weeks now and it really gives a lot of energy throughout the day. I had to get up everyday at six to get to school and I was always completely destroyed when I got there. (I have about an hour of bike riding to do to get there) After I started doing this workout before breakfast I noticed I could actually get some meaningful practicing and studying done in the morning. Plus you burn a lot of fat if you start before breakfast.

Damn, that morning workout looks way too tough for me. There's some serious balancing in the first (and second) exercise, and I do not have the body strength for neither push-ups nor skullcrushers yet! I think you're pretty brave to start out with that, and if you can do it in the morning 5 days a week, then WOW! I wish you the best of luck with it and look forward to hearing how you do it! :D

You're right, the balancing thing kind of screws me up as well, when I just woke up, but that's not really a problem if you only use you're table or whatever for stability and not to apply force. Actually I'm doing sissy skullcrushers right now, on my knees, because I can't do them either but in time I think I'll be able to get that.

Maybe you should specify a bit on, how are you going to get a job? Are you going to hand in 2 job applications a week, more, less? Are you going to participate in any networking events? Because *you* don't ultimately control wether you get a job or not (somebody has to decide to hire you), but you *can* control how much effort you put into trying. Do you need to apply to jobs that require a portfolio? A good CV? Then you should maybe focus on bringing those things up to speed.  :)

I really didn't think of any of that yet. Actually I'm looking for a job to do next to my studying, so not really a career choice or anything. My CV is pretty decent I suppose. I set aside today for studying for my history exam tomorrow, but I suppose I have time to check out some job hunting sites on the internet today, just to see what kind of direction I should be working towards. I actually already expected the job hunting to be the most difficult, with the current job market in europe and all :P

First Challenge

Second Challenge

I really didn't think of any of that yet. Actually I'm looking for a job to do next to my studying, so not really a career choice or anything. My CV is pretty decent I suppose. I set aside today for studying for my history exam tomorrow, but I suppose I have time to check out some job hunting sites on the internet today, just to see what kind of direction I should be working towards. I actually already expected the job hunting to be the most difficult, with the current job market in europe and all :tongue:

If you have a history exam tomorrow, you should just focus on that. I'm currently preparing for my exams too, and they take precedence. But just check your CV an extra time, look into tips on how to write good job applications (let me know if you want some tips or anything), and then set a goal for how many applications you're going to write each week. That way you can track your effort. :)

First challenge!

Tumblr food journal

Great advice by Stubbs on setting concrete mini-goals. Having spent a few months straight looking for a job, it really does help to have little goals that make you feel like you are accomplishing something. Either way, love how you already seem to be well on the path to getting your goals accomplished, and looking forward to hearing how the exercises go!

You have great goals Maring! :) you're going to do awesome on this challenge! And its always good to have strength and stamina as a musician...what kind of music do you and your band play?

Strength and stamina is really important as a musician! I've actually just recovered from a serious injury in my wrist from playing and practicing too much. The doctor said it's helpful to build some muscle to prevent injury. So that's part of why I'm here. It's just a small part though. I actually just want to get in shape (I know Peter, round is a shape) and get healthy!

I'm actually a Jazz Electric Bass student at the Conservatorium of Amsterdam, but with my band we play mostly jazz inspired hip hop.

First Challenge

Second Challenge

So I woke up a little sick today, but still got my lazy ass out of bed to do my morning routine. Luckily my history test wasn't all that difficult! I'm counting on at least 7.5 out of 10. I also did the beginners body weight routine again which was a little harder than usually.

Right now I've changed it to 15 dumbbell rows of about 6 Kg (four 1.5 liter bottles of water) and a 25 second plank.

I should probably also up the number of leg reps since they might be a little easy. (I bike to and from school every day for about an hour)

All in all, considering I was not completely well, everything went better than expected!

Didn't do anything about my other two goals though.

First Challenge

Second Challenge

Well I'm still kind of sick, but it's the kind of sick where you can actually still do everything if you take it a bit easy! So yesterday I did the morning workout, but not the beginners body weight routine. I'll have to do that today.

I still haven't done anything towards goal 3 and 4, but starting next week I'm going to actively do something about those.

How are your goals coming along? How many times did you workout this week?

First Challenge

Second Challenge

How are your goals coming along? How many times did you workout this week?

Just finished up my third workout for the week, so goal reached! :D

And gonna fight to eat paleo-dinners tonight and tomorrow so I can cross off that goal too. Still keeping my tumblr food journal updated. Need to find out if I can go swimming tomorrow, else I won't have completed that goal for this week. :o

Glad to hear you're keeping up despite being a bit under the weather! And just make sure to put a bit of extra effort into the two other goals next week and I'm sure it'll be fine. ^^

First challenge!

Tumblr food journal

I think the great thing about these challenges is that they can be as flexible as they need to. 

We all have busy lives and there are hundreds of things that can throw a spanner in the works but by being flexible and not feeling like a missed day\week is a failure is an important part of what will keep me going.   No one wants to fail owing to circumstances outside of their control

Keep it up Maring

Scout - Lvl 1

MyFitnessPal

tumblr

weight

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really appreciate it.

But because didn't do the beginners body weight workout on saturday, (I was at a festival all weekend and after dancing for 8-10 hours you don't really feel like doing anything) I only did it twice this week.

For this week I upped the number of reps:

25 body weight squats
15 push ups
30 walking lunges
15 dumbbell rows
25 sec plank
50 jumping jacks

I believe this is totally possible since I was doing the original one quite easily. Or at least I should be able to get this by the end of the week!

By the way, to add insult to injury, I'm now not only still recovering from my previous illness, I also caught an ear infection as a result of wearing my earplugs all day for two days straight.

First Challenge

Second Challenge

Alright, it's been a while since my last update, so here's the news:

I've applied for a couple of jobs without any luck so far, so I'll just have to keep on trying.

I did manage to apply for driving lessons. I'm starting this Friday, so that's a plus.

And I did all the exercises in my goals. So this has been a great one and a half weeks for me.

Also, the band managed to land some great paying gigs in the next month(s) so we can finally start recording!

Anyway, I'm going to be updating a little bit more from now on.

First Challenge

Second Challenge

Job hunting is tough, keep at it! Eventually it will pay off. ;)

Good luck on your driving lessons! The theory can be a bit dull at times, but pay attention, it's super important.

And congratulations with the gigs, I hope they turn out well for you and your band. :D

First challenge!

Tumblr food journal

Okay time for another weekly update.

I actually finished all of my goals this week. Did all my workouts, started driving lessons and got invited for a job interview.

The job interview was today and to tell you the truth: It was an interview from hell. No way I'm going to work there if the woman who interviewed me is going to be my boss. She said she'd think about inviting me for a second interview but I guess I've already made up my mind...

On a better note, I started driving lessons last Friday which was totally cool. Turns out driving isn't all that hard. The teacher figured I needed about 35 hours of lesson time before the exam so I'm going to try to do 4 hours divided over 2 lessons per week. I'll be done in about 9 weeks so that's cool.

I upped my workout plans a little bit again and I can actually see my self getting more muscular and I feel my confidence improving.

To recap, this has been a great week for me!

First Challenge

Second Challenge

So I'm doing another update.

Since last time, I haven't skipped a single workout which is great!

Also, my driving lessons are coming along just fine, although pulling up from a traffic light sometimes kills me.

I also finally found a job, albeit a temporary one. It's just for a week, but at least I get paid.

And it makes me feel like I am actually accomplishing something by responding to the ads.

I have to keep looking for a more permanent job and just keep doing the exercises and I should be fine on all my goals.

First Challenge

Second Challenge

Wow.

The challenge is almost over.

I've started my driving lessons and my theory test is next Monday. Also that temporary job I had is just finished today.

It was a horrible job, but it pays. I also have an appointment for a job interview next Thursday. This is probably going to be a more permanent job.

This week I kind of slacked off on the working out. I'll have to make up for that in the weekend.

If this weekend goes the way I planned it, it's been a great first challenge.

Also, I already thought of some great goals for next challenge.

If you want to know what they are, stay tuned.

First Challenge

Second Challenge

Alright. The challenge is over.

Here is my goal summary

1) Do a light workout every weekday before breakfast - B (+1.5 CON, +1 STA)

I did it almost everyday and I played with the numbers a little bit to see what I was capable of

2) Do the beginners body weight workout 3 times a week - A- (+2 STR, +1 DEX)

I missed this one twice I think. Also really boosted the number of reps a lot. Turns out I'm capable of more than what I give myself credit for :)

3) Start driving lessons - A (+2 CHA)

Did it. It's simple as that. I might have started organizing things a bit earlier in the challenge.

4) Get a job! - C (+0.5 WIS, +0.5 CHA)

I applied for a lot of jobs, though not nearly enough. I had a temporary job last week although that was not what I was aiming for. I have a job interview this thursday which I'm looking forward to. I just didn't put enough effort into this one.

All in all, I think I did reasonably well. I'm looking forward to the next challenge already. In the next challenge I'm going to focus on moving to the monk's guild.

Total gained Str: 2|Dex: 1|Sta: 1|Con: 1.5|Wis: 0.5|Cha: 2.5

Thank you all for the support!

See you in a week

First Challenge

Second Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines