level250geek 1st 6-Week Challenge

My wife and I have been doing the Nerd Fitness program for about a month now. We are eating better and getting more exercise for sure. I decided to join this 6-week challenge to really kickstart my progress. I missed out on working out last week, because I was sick, but I look forward to getting back in this week. I chose Ranger as my profession, because I value practicality and versatility in general--both in games and in real-life--so I thought it would be a good way to approach my fitness goals.

Here are my goals for Level 1.

1. Avoid sugary snacks (pies, cakes, doughnuts, etc.)

This is one of my biggest pitfalls. I snack a lot, and it's usually on junk food. I'm going to replace sugary snacks with fruit and nuts, focus on avoiding eating for comfort or out of boredom, and having a nice coffee or tea if I go out with friends and they insist on eating bad stuff. For this goal, I can earn up to +4 CON.

2. Work up to lifting 20 pound weights.

Right now, I lift 5 pound weights. I'd like to work up to 20 pound weights by the end of the six weeks. The way I figure it, if I can push 5 pounds this week and next week, then go up five pounds for a week, then five more for two weeks, I can hit twenty pounds by the time week six comes to close. Because I'll be doing the Nerd Fitness workout with these weights, I'll earn STR and STA for this one: up to +3 and +2, respectively.

3. Buy a new outfit.

No real reason, just haven't bought a new outfit in a while. Maybe I'll go down a shirt size, or a pant size, or both. Either way, just getting the outfit will earn my +1 CHA, and I can earn up to +3 CHA depending on what outfit/what size I get into.

4. Balance on each foot for 30 seconds without assistance.

I've always had really bad balance. I'm hoping that if I work on it everyday, eventually I'll get to where I can do this by the end of the challenge. The longer I can stand on each foot, the more points I'll get, with up to +3 DEX if I can succeed.

I look forward to doing this. I love playing RPGs so I'm especially excited about creating and becoming a character.

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR [5] DEX [4.25] STA [3] CON [4] WIS [6] CHA [6.25]

Current Challenge

My Introduction

"Blood and sweat washes away pain and fear."

Current Challenge Goals:

I approached the shadowed hut slowly, arrow knocked and at the ready. Finding the door ajar, I pushed it open ever so slightly. I peeked in; there was no sign of any of the dire-spiders that I had encountered down the path. It seems that this would not be where I found the nest; it seems that this was not where I would slay the Queen and fulfill my quest.

As I backed away, I heard a soft voice call out, "Oh, dear, you look hungry."

Against my better judgment, I stepped completely into the hut. Sitting at a table inside was an old woman, dressed in faded pink and red. On the table was a platter of chocolate chip cookies, still steaming from the oven.  "Why don't you have a cookie?" she said.

I eyed the cookies with yearning. They smelled like waking up on a winter morning to a warm house felt. I took a step forward. "Go ahead," she said, as I took my right hand from my arrow and let my bow fall to my side. "Just have a cookie. Just one..."

I looked into her eyes, and there I saw the truth. This woman was a witch! I would not only have one cookie. No, if I but put my tongue to one of the delicious treats on the platter, I would never leave that hut again. I dashed out, amid her howling protest to come back and just have one cookie. "I've even got fresh milk!" she screamed.

So if you're wondering where that came from: I went over to my Grandma's house today, and she offered me cookies. She's not a witch. She's actually very nice. But she does work magic in getting innocent young people to eat her deadly, delicious food. Thankfully, I remembered my goal and didn't have one--not even one!--and left with a clean conscious.

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

I've been trying to balance. I'm managing 20 seconds on my left foot, but I'm struggling to go for 10 on my right. It occurs to me that I broke my right ankle about 13 years ago. It's more than healed, but considering I wasn't in shape then and I never really got into shape, I'm sure it's not as strong as it could be. I'll be looking for ways to strengthen it.

I'm doing good on avoiding sugary snacks. I did have a small (and I do mean small) piece of cake yesterday for my little bro's end of the school year party. I also have my mom's birthday and father's day coming up; I'll probably have a small slice of cake then as well. I won't look at them as freebies, though. They'll count against me for my challenge, but if I can stick to only having sweets on those days then I think I've earned a B on that one.

As for weights, I'll be making my own. I'm going to fill two jugs with pool salt (can't find playground sand anywhere) and go from there. Cheaper than even one 10 lbs. weight.

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

So if you're wondering where that came from: I went over to my Grandma's house today, and she offered me cookies. She's not a witch.

hahahahahaha! Grandmas are awesome, but they do tend to go on about sweets. When I was in college I would stay at my grandparents' house some weekends, and they alwas bought brownie mixes, pies and other sweets when they knew I would be coming over. And tell me I wasn't eating enough at every meal.

But I love your goals! Very simple, but totally attainable! (And I like the story format, too)

hahahahahaha! Grandmas are awesome, but they do tend to go on about sweets. When I was in college I would stay at my grandparents' house some weekends, and they alwas bought brownie mixes, pies and other sweets when they knew I would be coming over. And tell me I wasn't eating enough at every meal.

But I love your goals! Very simple, but totally attainable! (And I like the story format, too)

Thanks! Glad you like it.

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

Having spent the whole morning on patrol, I grew tired and thirsty. I had wrapped up a hunk of roasted chicken before leaving camp, but meat alone does not make a meal. Thankfully, this morning I passed an apple tree with fruit in full bloom this morning, so I picked a ripe, juicy, round apple to go with my chicken. When I stopped to eat, I saw wild carrots and spinach plants nearby. I picked a few vegetables and washed them in the nearby stream. Along with clear, fresh water, such was my midday meal.

Then, a baker came by and greeted me. "I have a pie I'm trying to rid myself of before it spoils," he said. He offered me a slice. I took it, but only a small slice. Just enough to satisfy my craving for something sweet, which I found unusually strong today.

Yeah, I had a healthy lunch of roast chicken, baby carrots, spinach, and an apple...but they had lemon pie at work today. I was specifically offered a slice, but I purposely took a very small portion. I was satisfied with it, even though I know that it does count against my "no sugar" goal. I'm still on track for the most part; only two small portions of sweets, which is WAY down from my usual average for the same amount of time. Plus, I'm avoiding the food that really kicked my ass (milkshakes, donuts, candy bars, cookies, etc.).

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

Nice going on bending/not breaking with the sugar goal.  I keep telling myself I need to cut sugar, too, but it seems like a momentous undertaking!

The rest of your goals seem great, too.  Very straightforward and attainable.  Also, I love training with sandbags and I found my playground sand in the concrete/masonry end of Home Depot instead of the garden side if that helps!

Keep up the good work and the fun narrative!

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Nice going on bending/not breaking with the sugar goal.  I keep telling myself I need to cut sugar, too, but it seems like a momentous undertaking!

The rest of your goals seem great, too.  Very straightforward and attainable.  Also, I love training with sandbags and I found my playground sand in the concrete/masonry end of Home Depot instead of the garden side if that helps!

Keep up the good work and the fun narrative!

Yeah, I was going to use sandbags, but when I went to Lowe's they only had a few bags and they were all busted. So, I got a bag of gravel instead, and two 5 gallon paint buckets. My rationale is I could just keep filling up the buckets as much as I want; I'll pretty much never have to buy weights again!

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

Okay, I know you're not supposed to think like this because it can lead to bad eating habits and dangerous workout habits, but--I think I just cancelled out the slice of lemon pie I had today.

You see, I needed to cut our lawn today. My wife and I live on a 1.6 acre lot with fast growing grass, and it was rainy last week, so it had been about 10 days since the grass had been cut. I usually go down the street to my father-in-law and borrow the riding mower (yes, I drive it back; no I do not have a can of Bud Light in-hand while doing so, but I do often wear my camo hunting pants and orange hunters' safety cap). I get the majority of the yard with the riding mower, then go back with a push mower to get those hard to reach spots (I usually just pull weeds out with my hands--I hate weed-eaters with a PASSION).

So, I'm mowing along, making good time, when I go to pass by a concrete square (meant for putting your grill on) in the the backyard. I'm in the a turn I do so, and go out too wide. I hit the concrete, and when trying to start it back up the blades won't engage. After inspecting it with my father-in-law, the bearing holding one of the blades in place needs to be replaced. Well, what am I to do? The lawn needs cutting.

What else to do but use the push-mower?

All told, it took me about two hours to cut about 1.28 acres of our lawn with the push mower. Needless to say: a fierce workout. My ankles, knees, back, and shoulders are screaming. The good news is that I can tell I'm already in better shape, even after just a month following the Nerd Fitness guide. I was nowhere near as exhausted as I used to get cutting the 3/4 of an acre lot I lived on before I was married. Just sore and achy.

So I learned something today AND made up for my transgression!

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

Isn't great when you realize how much better shape you're in?!? Not sure if you're a calorie counter, but you might like this calorie burning calculator just for a reference:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Input your weight, scroll down to Mowing - push, enter the number of minutes you mowed, and scroll to the bottom to calculate how many calories you burned.

I bet it was more than a slice of pie's worth!

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Sugar is one of my biggest vices so I'm glad you're working on it too. It's like... if I have a free day where I'm going to allow myself certain thing, I just can't stop until Midnight (my CUTOFF! haha). Luckily I can get back to my program the next day pretty easily, but yeah. It's out of control how addictive it is. So I think it's great that you're able to limit yourself to those occasions. Just remember. You're in control of those choices, good and bad. Weigh them fairly, don't beat yourself up and make the best choices you can a majority of the time and you'll be set!

Hearthsinger the Wandering Bard

Level 4 Halfling Ranger

STR 9 | DEX 7 | STA 12 | CON 11 | WIS 8 | CHA 9

"You are what you do. You can re-create yourself every second of your life." -Xena

Read my blog at Project Reroll. | FitBit | Current Challenge | Previous Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd

On patrol today, I came across that most foul beast: the chimera! This grotesque abomination is rarely seen these days, but when it is, it is always vicious and easily provoked. It saw me and I ran for cover, loosing an arrow once in place that pierced it's throbbing gullet. A solid kill shot! Alas, the foul demon was too strong--arrow still in it's throat, it crashed through the underbrush, knocking my bow out of my hands with one swipe of its might claws. I had no choice but tor draw my twin curved daggers and fight it in brutal hand-to-hand combat. For seemingly hours I fought the best, hacking and slashing, dodging and rolling, it's snake-headed tail snapping at me even as its crushing jaws threatened to turn my bones to powder. Finally, I thrust one dagger in between its eyes, then another, then kept stabbing away with primal fury at the monster's head until it fell limp; even in its near-death the chimera kept fighting, so this was no easy task. Finally, the monster fell limp. I sank to the forest floor, covered in sweat and gore, thankful to have survived.

So I did the Nerd Fitness Beginner Body Weight Workout today. It nearly killed me, and I felt like I was going to throw up afterwards (I didn't). But--I completed all three circuits.

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

Nice work!  I love the story-telling, btw.  I may borrow some for my own challenge (I'm escaping a 300 mile cave with obstacles in my path).

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet

Very nice!

Except...what are you going to get to replace the bud light? A tractor/mower ride is just not the same without a frosty beverage.

I'm thinking of getting a beerstein and filling it with frothy red ale. I'm also going to replace the orange cap with a horned helmet, and mow the grass wearing only a leather loin cloth and fur boots, with a battle axe strapped to my back.

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

This weekend, I poured about 12 lbs. of gravel into each of the paint buckets I bought. I used those as my weights yesterday, and I didn't pass out! YAY!

I'm hoping to lift those for the next 2-3 weeks, then move up to 20 lbs. for each buckets, hitting my goal. I'm trying to partner with a warrior for this mini-challenge, so hopefully I'll learn some things about lifting.

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

We were told that somewhere, deep within the forest, there was a great treasure--a cache of gold and jewels beyond one's wildest imagination. We set out to find it, not because we were greedy, but because it could be found.

Our trials were many--kobold attacks, chasms with not but a single wooden beam upon which to cross, a massive bull minotaur that had to be slain in order for us to cross, a mad dash to outrun a flock of vicious clawbirds, and finally a vicious battle with a hostile orc clan. But we succeeded, and the treasure was ours!

So I told a friend of mine who wants to get into shape about Nerd Fitness. He was very interested (he's a dedicated gamer, especially RPGs, and loved the idea of the six-week challenges) and wanted to look into it. I told him I would be his workout buddy, and we were going to meet today at a nearby park for a hike. We, a group of two turned into a group of five, and I told them all about Nerd Fitness, and a couple of more guys are going to give it a look.

Even better, however, we all had a great hike. I don't even know how much ground we covered, but we hiked for a good hour and a half on the park's woods trail. Along the way, we would stop and do several challenges. These included:

1. Some of us tried to climb up a concrete tower (a sewer access) without using the ladder. Me and the warrior of the group (my initial hiking partner) did push-ups against it.

2. We crossed a ditch using a wooden beam that was bolted down on either side. This was a big deal for me because of my terrible balance; I made it halfway and another friend gave me a hand to help steady me.

3. We moved a downed log from one side of the trail to the other.

4. We came upon a pine grove, and some of us did a mash dash from one end of the grove to the other (only one guy made it all the way).

5. We made a run for it on the last stretch of the trail.

6. A couple of us did push-ups against a tree, as many as we could in 30 seconds.

7. Finally, there were cinder blocks nearby. We took turns taking one each and carrying them to the end of a circular drive to another.

What's more, I had my backpack with 2 5# dumbbells in it, and had it on the whole time (except for the dash and carrying the cinder block).

So, major strength and endurance workout, and I didn't even feel all beat up and exhausted afterward; more energized and satisfied. 

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

That sounds like an amazingly good time and an awesome workout.  I am envious.

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

hey, I hear you want help from a Scout (that's me!)

some (possibly long winded) suggestions towards your one leg balancing :

1.)very high fequency practice.

This is one of those skills that is very easy from a strength perspective so you can pracice very often with a low risk of overtraining. Try doing sub-maximal sets as often as you can (when you brush your teeth, before and after you go to the bathroom, when you get in or out of bed... Then every day or two test your max balance time.

2.)single leg strength exercises.

Pistol squats may be too much for you but if you start progressing towards them your balence should improve along the way.

3.)this is a big bias of mine, but walk around and practice balancing while barefoot. The feet have more sensory input that the hands yet most people are far better at feeling with their hands bacause their feet are constently protected.

4.)forward and backward walks in a straight line. Eventually you will want to do this on a curb, 2x4 or some other raised surface but it will still work fine on flat ground. Try to keep on a straight line while slowing down the transition from foot to foot.

5.)ankle mobility. You mentioned a past injury... Sometimes the body compensates for an injury by tensing the surrounding muscles to protect the area. This is good in the short term but can cause chronic tention and reduced mobility which will make it harder to move and balence.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

hey, I hear you want help from a Scout (that's me!)

some (possibly long winded) suggestions towards your one leg balancing :

1.)very high fequency practice.

This is one of those skills that is very easy from a strength perspective so you can pracice very often with a low risk of overtraining. Try doing sub-maximal sets as often as you can (when you brush your teeth, before and after you go to the bathroom, when you get in or out of bed... Then every day or two test your max balance time.

2.)single leg strength exercises.

Pistol squats may be too much for you but if you start progressing towards them your balence should improve along the way.

3.)this is a big bias of mine, but walk around and practice balancing while barefoot. The feet have more sensory input that the hands yet most people are far better at feeling with their hands bacause their feet are constently protected.

4.)forward and backward walks in a straight line. Eventually you will want to do this on a curb, 2x4 or some other raised surface but it will still work fine on flat ground. Try to keep on a straight line while slowing down the transition from foot to foot.

5.)ankle mobility. You mentioned a past injury... Sometimes the body compensates for an injury by tensing the surrounding muscles to protect the area. This is good in the short term but can cause chronic tention and reduced mobility which will make it harder to move and balence.

Thanks for the great advice! I'll work in some forward and backward walking in my cardio tomorrow. I'll look up pistol squats and give them a try in the future.

You are dead on about the muscle tension around the injured body part. When I do my one-foot stands on my right foot, I can definitely feel the muscles tensing up. This almost always throws me off balance. It's nothing I really thought about until now. Any suggestions for loosening this up, or am I going to have to just regain control of it mentally?

I'll be adding you to my buddies list so I can easily seek you out for further questions, if that's cool.

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

Massaging is probably the best way to loosen up any lower leg stiffness.

Stretching is also good once you are good and warmed up.

Or you can do some rehab type exercises like writing the alphabet in the air with your toe.

If you decide to try self massage (recommended) work on you calf and shin muscles from knee to ankle (just massage soft tissue, no bones). If you find any sore spots work on them a little extra. There are many different tools/techniques that people use but for the most part you want something that can roll or slide over your soft tissues.

Foam rollers are a common tool, I made one out of 4" ABS pipe, some people use rolling pins or wine bottles (don't break em)

Here's a video of some random girl demonstrating it...

The main thing is to practice and self experiment with it.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

That's an amazing set of tips Barefoot Phylanx!

Coming along well. The wife and I went out of town today and didn't get back until late, so I was going to skip my workout completely but decided that simply wouldn't do. I did some basic body weight stuff (wall push-ups, squats, lunges, toe touches) and did some balance exercises.

I'm doing well on avoiding sweets, especially after a string of special occasions where cake was involved, and I've managed to stand on both feet for thirty seconds once and can make 20-25 seconds consistently. Haven't looked at the new outfit yet, but my wife has agreed to help me shop.

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines