MadScientist Contemplates Life II

This will be my fourth challenge.  I skipped the last challenge due to life getting in the way, but am now back.  I recently had by 54th birthday, and decided that for my 55th birthday, I want to be awesome.  Awesome is defined in many ways.  My long-term goals to be awesome are:

1. Get back to a 32" or less waist.  I am currently at about 36.5".  When I got married over two decades ago, I had a 30" waist.  I was also very weak, so 30" will be a stretch goal that may not be realistic.
  2. Get my upper body strength up to par.  My lower body is fine.  I will define this as being capable of 20 pullups and 50 pushups.  Currently, I can do about 6 - 8 pullups and 15 - 25 pushups, depending upon what has happened in the last week or so.
  3. Get my balance back.  I will define this as being able to hold a yoga headstand for five minutes.  I could easily do this twenty years ago.
  4. Get physics before the populace.  I will define this as starting a website to answer "physics in real life" questions.  I have a PhD in physics and have participated in the American Physics Society's Adopt-A-Physicist program for many years (I am the bearded guy on the lower left of the picture on the website).  I really enjoy it and would like to do it more often.  A website seems to make sense.  It may take awhile before it takes off, if it ever does.
  5. Get more done around my house.  I have a huge number of projects that never seem to get done.  They need to get done.
  6. Get my fiddle and mandolin playing up to a higher level.  I love to play, but seem to let a lot of other things get in the way, resulting in little practice and sliding skills.  I need to make playing more of a priority.

These are long-term goals and need to be broken into short-term chunks.  For this six weeks, I will do the following:

1. Lose one inch or more of my waist size.  I will do this by keeping my daily carb intake below 100g every day, and 60g most days.
  2. Do a pullup every time I go by the pullup bar at work.  Do a pushup at the same time.
  3. Join my wife in yoga at least three times per week, with a goal of four to five times per week.
  4. Discuss all my projects with my family, prioritize and schedule them, and try to get one or two out of the way.  I have a laptop that is currently in pieces on the dining room table that would be a good start.

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Yeay physics!!!

That is awesome.

Love the pull up/push up goal. Doing things that way really adds up!

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Thanks for the encouragement!  Life will be complex this week, so postings will be few.  I noticed I slipped a digit on my waist size in the original post (wistful thinking?), so I fixed it.  I have kept to the low-carb diet that is the core of getting to my goals.  I did not exercise yesterday (or will today, other than riding my bike to work), since when I start doing low-carb, I get muscle soreness very easily in the first couple of days.  I will start the exercises in ernest toward the end of the week.

I had a Boy Scout meeting last night, so did not get any work on the laptop done.  I did play some fiddle, including working on a piece in third position, something I do not do enough of.  Hopefully, I will get some yoga in tonight, but I have another Boy Scout meeting (different troop) tonight, so we will see.

Level 8 Human Druid

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Things have been pretty good this week, but busy as expected.  I managed to stay on the low-carb straight and narrow until this morning, when a coworker brought in some great cookies and placed them by the coffee.  I think I can still stay under 100g of carb today, but it will be tough.

I am getting the pullups and pushups done, but the yoga is having issues due to time pressures.  Hopefully, I will get more into it now that the school year is about over and activities should be winding down.  I tried a simple headstand yesterday and got dizzy just getting inverted.  I will need to take it slow, but I should be able to do it.

Level 8 Human Druid

Being busy makes fitting in long yoga sessions very difficult in my experience too.  I hope you find the time as the rewards are worth it.  I think it would be awesome to hold a headstand for 5 minutes, that is a great goal.

Wood Elf Druidventurer

Level 1

STR 2 DEX 3 STA 2 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 3

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/29380-leeloos-gettin-down-to-business/

"Just keep swimmin,' just keep swimmin.'" -Dory

My youngest son graduated high school today, so my carb goal went out the window, a bit, during the celebration.  This was sort of planned.  I will be back on the straight and narrow tomorrow.  I am still getting in the pullups and pushups, but yoga has been a challenge.  I have tried to put in a few moves at odd moments of the day.  I should get to a good task list and prioritization this weekend.  My goal is to get my partially functioning laptop either functioning or donated to Goodwill by the end of the weekend.

leeloo, thanks for the encouragement.  I know I can do a 5min headstand, since I used to do it.  Just need to work up to it.  It may take a few months, but I will get there.

Level 8 Human Druid

Sounds like a pretty good start to the week. I'm guessing that life must have REALLY gotten in the way during the last challenge as it sounds like you have a very busy schedule this week and still managed to make good progress towards your goals. I'm also working on my balance, but will focus on standing upright on both feet before I flip myself upside down and stand on my head. Best wishes - I'm cheering for you!

"Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Congrats are due to you and your son! My younger brother graduates soon as well. It is odd enough to think of him as old enough, I can't imagine what I'll feel like when my own children are graduating. In any case, it sounds like a good reason to let things slide, temporarily. 

Class: Druid

Race: Half-Elf

STR:3  DEX:2  STA:2  CON:2  WIS:4  CHA:2  

Current 6 Week Challenge

Trying to maintain my blissful ignorance about the world. Wasn't it better when fairy tales were real?

~ Emanluke

Thanks for the words of encouragement and congratulations.  It is kind of weird

A busy weekend, and it appears I did not do so well last week.  My waist size went up (36.5" -> 37")?!?  The scale says something different, but it lies, so I will believe the tape for now.  I thought I was doing better on my eating than that.  In any case, it is a temporary setback.  No celebrations until I visit my mom for her 80th birthday this weekend, so I should be good until then.

I did manage to get the laptop fixed, although it took a lot more time than expected.  It had several pieces of internal damage that required some epoxy to fix.  My son had been carrying it when he had a bike accident.  In any case, it is off the table and back to being a working machine.

Still no systematic yoga.  Hopefully I will be able to get to that this week.  I am riding my bike to work more often, although that is not on the original list.  Just keep moving...

Level 8 Human Druid

First the bad news - I have had a couple of bad carb days.  I really need to learn to say no, but carbs are sometimes so good...  So far, so good today.

I am keeping up my pullups and pushups and I managed to get a first pass at a big projects list, now that the laptop is fixed.  Next on the agenda - I need to sort through my decade of photos to put together a slide show for the Eagle court of honor for my son and four of his fellow scouts.  Unfortunately, this goes back to before I went digital, so I will be scanning a lot of photos.  I have until July 7th.

This will be my last update until Sunday.  My mother is having her 80th birthday this weekend, and I will be going up to enjoy it Friday.  I do not anticipate having time to post anything Thursday.  I will be staying at my parent's house, and they do not have an internet connection.  Darn.  I will just have to play board games, talk, and go for walks.  Life will be rough ;).

Level 8 Human Druid

I had an excellent weekend with my parents and siblings, then promptly lost my battle with the cold that has been chasing me for a few days.  I managed to make to through work yesterday, barely, but felt much better today.  This kind of put everything on hold, but I am back into it today.  I will be starting on digitizing and organizing a bunch of photos for my son's Eagle court of honor tonight.  Hopefully, I can convince my wife to do a little yoga with me.  If not, I will do it by myself.

The fun never ends.

Level 8 Human Druid

Despite the cold, I managed to keep my carbs down and get some yoga in yesterday.  Because of the cold, I managed to get in a bit of meditating, which I always enjoy.  No other exercising, however, so pullups and pushups will need to wait until I am more healthy.

Level 8 Human Druid

Been keeping up the yoga and managed to keep my carbs down again today.  Still on the tail end of the cold, so projects and exercise are being ignored.

Level 8 Human Druid

Those are some great and challenging goals.      Best of luck with all of them.  The waistline one  is quietly one of my own.   I was a 34" for a while, but starting to get back towards the 32" range.   I have had to use a belt loop that has never been used before and what a great feeling.  

6-8 pull-ups!   Been reading for a 20 something man to be able to do 10 is huge,   20, what a goal!    I shoot for 4-5 when I do them and lucky if I can get 2-3 .   

I should copy one of yours and just pick up my violin and start relearning again.   It's been such a long time.  

200-Hour Yoga Teacher & Reiki II Practitioner

Level 2 Gnome Druid STR: 9 | DEX: 5 | STA: 5 | CON: 5 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Challenge Progress  ||  Workout Progress  ||  FitBit

The problem with life is that there is no background music

could you do a headstand for 5 minutes- like without arms? :numbness:

Good question when you mention 5 minute yoga headstand.  That a tripod headstand or like a basket headstand? Or without arms as Jenlady is asking?   Just the terms I am used to using/hearing and curious. :)

200-Hour Yoga Teacher & Reiki II Practitioner

Level 2 Gnome Druid STR: 9 | DEX: 5 | STA: 5 | CON: 5 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Challenge Progress  ||  Workout Progress  ||  FitBit

The problem with life is that there is no background music

I was taught to do a headstand with forearms flat on the ground and hands clasped behind my head.  Without arms would be quite the trick.  I have seen folks do it with hands flat in front and wide in front of you.  I was taught that as a precursor to the headstand I usually like to do.

I got a huge list of projects that need doing (e.g. refinish dining room table, put new floor in the kitchen...).  For most of the weekend, since I am still getting over a cold, I digitized photos for the picture album for my son's Eagle court of honor coming up in a couple of weeks.  That was a real trip down memory lane.  I hope to tackle the digital ones next, going through a selection process.

I was doing great on my sugar goal until someone in my family opened a package of chocolate chip cookies.  That is one of my major weaknesses.  One day, I will be able to say no.

I have been getting my Sun Salutations in every day for the last few days, so am starting to get my yoga back.  Physical things should get better in a couple of days when the cold is gone.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Level 8 Human Druid

Great work on your goals so far!!! Nice work on starting to get your yoga back as well :)Hope you are feeling healthy today!

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Sun salutations are great! :)

Just dropping by to let you know that I am extending the meditation mini challenge another 3 days!!!! Mini-challenge now ends June 26th!

Keep meditating! And dont forget to log your times!

Together we can reach 24 hours!  :)

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Thanks for the encouragement.  Unfortunately, I fell off the yoga wagon over the weekend, but managed to stay on course for the other goals.  I got a lot of old pictures digitized and had the fun of remembering great times in the outdoors with my son.

I recently got the book Primal Cravings, and was somewhat disappointed.  While the book has a lot of low gluten recipes, they are definitely not low-carb.  After indulging in a "primal pizza" last night, I ran a quick nutrition analysis on what I had just eaten.  It turns out that the carb count on the primal pizza is just as high as if I had used wheat in the crust.  I avoid the gluten/lectin issues, but it did not help my carb count at all.  I still stayed under 100g, but it was close.  My weight and waist are now trending in the right direction, but only barely.  But I am moving in the right direction and will continue doing so.

My cold has a residual drainage left, but seems to be mostly gone.  I still feel a bit draggy in the morning, but it goes away when I move around a bit.  Things are definitely getting better.

Level 8 Human Druid

Thanks for the adoption, VioletFlame!  I can use all the encouragement I can get.

I finished yesterday fairly strong.  We had grilled pork chops for dinner, so it was easy to keep carbs low (breakfast and lunch are routinely low, so no issues there).  I even got in some yoga.  I still get dizzy being inverted, but am working on it.  I expect it to take awhile.  I also finished digitizing all the analog pictures I needed and found some time to practice fiddle for a concert this weekend.  All-in-all, a good day.

Then time for meditation...

Level 8 Human Druid

Doing great!  Nice to hear that the cold is subsiding and you're getting more yoga in.  Trending in the right direction is all that matters.  :D

"Did you go to the gym when you were alive?"
"I died in 1938. For exercise, we drank sloe gin and smoked Lucky Strikes."
- Dead Like Me

Thanks for the adoption, VioletFlame!  I can use all the encouragement I can get.

I finished yesterday fairly strong.  We had grilled pork chops for dinner, so it was easy to keep carbs low (breakfast and lunch are routinely low, so no issues there).  I even got in some yoga.  I still get dizzy being inverted, but am working on it.  I expect it to take awhile.  I also finished digitizing all the analog pictures I needed and found some time to practice fiddle for a concert this weekend.  All-in-all, a good day.

Then time for meditation...

Hi,

I am so glad you saw that on the spreadsheet.  I am traveling this week, so my messages might be short at first... but I will be here til the end of the challenge.  Yay for you - and it's always good to ease into yoga postures. 

VioletFlame (Margie), level 4 Wood elf druid
STR 8 | DEX 6 | STA 14.5 | CON 11.25 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 9

2013 Challenge #1  ~ #2  ~ #3 ~ #4 ~ #5

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines