DefiantlyLiterate - Game On!

This is my first challenge, so I'm still absorbing the information overload available across the site and fora. :)

Goals

5 POINTS - WORKOUT 3X'S/WEEK

• Strength training (STR 3)
  • Flexibility training (DEX 2)
  1. ​Week One: Starting with the Beginner Body Weight Workout (T/Th/Sa)
    1. ​​​I made it!! Got through 1 circuit on T and Th. Upped the game today and made it through 2 of the 3. Increased my row weight from 8 to 10lbs. Held my planks for 20-ct. RAWR.
    2. Mini Goal: Started the week unable to touch my toes. Just five days of stretching and working out, and I can curl my fingers around my toes and hang out for a minute.
    3. Mini Goal: Increased from 1 circuit to 2 circuits.
  2. Week Two: Continuing with BBWW. Going for that 3rd circuit. (T/Th/Sa)
    1. After hitting 3 circuits on Tues, I focused on form for my remaining days. Slowed down a bit to make certain I'm getting it right. 1 circuit Thurs (time shortage - 15lb rows, 8lb lunge/twist), but I got a definite upper body workout in the warehouse. 2 circuits Sat with 20lb rows, added 10lb curls, and an 8lb lunge/twist.
    2. ​Mini Goal: Increased from 2 circuits to 3 circuits.
  3. Week Three: Aiming for 3 circuits at least 2x's this week.
    1. ​This is the week of running related injuries. Only managed one day. Hoping the days off to rest gives me the strength to come back next week.
  4. ​Week Four: Make-up week. With the mini-challenge adding to my circuits, going for 2 solid circuits on work mornings, 3 on the weekend. (M/W/F/Su)
    1. ​Made 3 of the 4 (MWF).
  5. Week Five: Ugh. ROUGH week. While some changes are for the better in the long run (see Goal #3), they are zapping my energy.
    1. ​1 training day (S) (11 total)
  6. Week Six: It's 6am on Monday, and I'm and hoping to rebound in week six. Aiming for 4 days (M/W/F/Su)
    1. ​Made 3 of 4 (MWSu).
    2. 2/3 were full 3 circuit workouts. Today's, I bumped up to 25lb rows, 40ct planks, and a 2ct hold for squats.
    3. Also added some walking. 5.95 mi (S) and 2.67 mi (Su). Adding a daily walk to my next challenge goals.

GRADING:

A - Train 17-18x's (STR 3 / DEX 2)

B - Train 15-16x's (STR 2.25 / DEX 1.5)

C - Train 13-14x's (STR 1.5 / DEX 1)

D - Train 11-12x's (STR .75 / DEX .25)

F - Train 10x's or less

14 training days completed. FINAL GRADE: C

3 POINTS - RUN 1/4 MILE W/O STOPPING

• This may seem a puny goal, but I struggle with stress induced asthma, so it takes me forever to work up to running any distance. (STA 3)
  1. ​Week One: Hitting my local park and the nifty trail/track there lakefront (working my way up to the trail). Jog to fail (won't take long), walk the rest. (W/F/Su)
    1. ​Managed 142 yards on Weds. Upped it to 181 yards by Sun. Another 40 yards and I'm halfway there!
  2. Week Two: Rinse. Repeat. Sticking with the lakefront run/walk. (W/F/Su)
    1. Longest non-stop run: 266 yds. Longest run with breathing breaks: 448 yds.
    2. ​Mini Goal: Ran 200 yards.
  3. Week Three: If it ain't broke...
    1. ​It is officially broke. Looks like I'm giving up on this goal. 1st run of the week I made it 448 yds again, this time with only 2 breaks instead of last week's 4. However, for the next 3 days, I could barely walk. My ankles are swelling, knees are killing me... so in the end, I'm not done in by my shoddy lung capacity, but by the agony overpronation causes.  :sorrow:

GRADING:

A - Run 401-440 yds (STA 3)

B - Run 351-400 yds (STA 2.25)

C - Run 275-350 yds (STA 1.5)

D - Run 221-275 yds (STA .75)

F - Run 220 yds or less

4 POINTS - NO MOAR SODA!

• Time to end my love affair with diet-everything. (CON 3)
  • With the first 3 goals combined I'm expecting to see some body changes for the better. (CHA 1)
  1. Week One: My diet soda habit is on notice. I love my bubbly bevs, so I'm stocked up on plain Jane club soda and lime.
    1. ​Killed this one.
    2. No weight change, but an overall loss of 2.35 inches.
  2. Week Two: Same. Also drink at least 64ozs of water each day. 
    1. ​Still no soda. Woohoo! Didn't quite make my daily water goal, but getting there.
    2. Weight is maaayybbbeee starting to slide downward? The inches definitely are. The fiance noticed a big change in my waistline already. (-6.7 inches total)
  3. Week Three: Keeping on. Getting to crave my water.
    1. ​Weight bobbed up a bit, but the inches are still dropping. (-8.8 inches total)
  4. ​Week Four: Same.
  5. Week Five: Soda is kicked, so I'm giving up my wine and spirits for a week.
    1. ​Well... my diet likes the booze-free week. (-3.4 lbs / -10.3625 inches total)
  6. Week Six: I'm cutting way down on my wine and spirits this week (no more than a glass of wine). Also cutting back on caffeine.

GRADING:

A - 0 (CON 3 / CHA 1)

B - 1 (CON 2.25 / CHA .75)

C - 2 (CON 1.5 / CHA .5)

D - 3 (CON .75 / CHA .25)

F - 4+

No sodas consumed for the duration of the challenge. -3.4lbs / -11.1125 inches total. FINAL GRADE: A

3 POINTS - WRITE 1 / EDIT 5 WRITE 3500 / EDIT 35

• Each day, I will write at least one new page of content and edit at least five. Each week, I will write at least 3500 new words and edit at least 35 pages.(WIS 3)
  1. ​Week One: Writing 1 page (approx 500 words) toward a incomplete story each day... and getting off my ass (or parking it, as the case may be) to edit 5 pages in a completed draft.
    1. ​Had some good days and bad days, here. With going from zero to a 6-day workout routine, my energy levels are adjusting. The hours I'd normally be writing, I'm sleeping. So I'm going to modify this goal to go with averages. Same goal, just giving myself some time maintenance options.
    2. Words: 3145 / Edits: 15.5
  2. Week Two: 3500 new words, 35 pages of completed material edited.
    1. ​Words: 5032 / Edits: 25.5
  3. Week Three:
    1. ​Words: 9674 / Edits: 83.5
  4. Week Four:
    1. ​Words: 11924 / Edits: 87.5
  5. Week Five:
    1. ​Words: 12534 / Edits: 89.5
  6. Week Six:
    1. ​Words: 13665 / Edits: 129.5

​GRADING:

A - 20,001+ new words / 201+ pages edited (WIS 3)

B - 17,501-20,000 / 175-200 (WIS 2.25)

C - 15,001-17,500 / 151-175 (WIS 1.5)

D - 12,501-15,000 / 125-150 (WIS .75)

F - <12.5K  / <125

13665 new words, 129.5 pages edited. FINAL GRADE: D

Mini Challenge Stat Bonuses:

1. Week One: Join/start Accountibilibuddy group. Offer ideas/advice. (WIS .5 / CHA .5)
  2. Week Two: Eat Moar Protein / 85g a day for 5 days. (CON 1)
    1. ​Tue: 137 | Wed: 92 | Thu: 94 | Fri: 56 | Sat: 85 | Sun: 90
  3. ​Week Three: Add 3 additional stretches. Did this on Weds when I first saw the post, but haven't been able to train since.
  4. Week Four: Choose 4 exercises from the HP Quidditch selections and incorporate them into the workout. (STR 1)
  5. Week Five: Invent new recipes. Yeah... I cooked new recipes, modified some, but didn't create anything shiny and new.
  6. Week Six: Set three long term life and fitness goals. (WIS 1)

DefiantlyLiterate

Slaying life dragons daily

Ranger, Level 2

STR 4.5 | DEX 4 | STA 2 | CON 6 | WIS 6.25 | CHA 3.5

Team #ZAP | #ZAP FacebookTwitter

Current Challenge

1st | 2nd

Some pretty good goals you've got there. What is your plan for strength and flexibility training? It took me FOREVER when I first cut soda out. I allow myself to drink soda pretty much only when its mixed with an alcoholic beverage. :D   Good luck with achieving your goals!

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"  - Conan

Quests

Day 1 is just about done for me. I've eaten well, drank plenty of water. Chops and steamed veg for dinner. A ginormous vat of paleo chili is on the stove, simmering away for the week's lunches. Time to get some writing done and gear up for day two and my first workout day.

DefiantlyLiterate

Ranger, Level 2

Current Challenge

1st | 2nd

Hey DefiantlyLiterate! I'm stopping in to say hi to all my fellow #ZAP adventurers and see wassup. :)

A quarter mile w/o stopping is NOT at all a laughable goal. I was proud to have achieved it a couple weeks ago even as someone without asthma issues. Since then I've gotten all the way up to a mile without stopping or slowing to a walk! I'm still a little bewildered I managed to do it.

Good luck!!!

Lv. 1 Seagoat Humanoid Adventurer

STR 1 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 1 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

Navy fitness challenge

"Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up.

It is always tired morning, noon, and night." - Gen. Patton

Yo DL,

As coffeeMinx said, a quarter mile is no joke; even more as a mile is longer as Km; last time I tried to run around the block.. let's say .. I dont count distance, i count time, but in distance it was like .. not even 2km.. so ye, a mile..  I can't even remember the amount of times I stopped to walk, but I surely walked as much as I jogged.  But the joy I felt of doing it, running/walking around in the early morning it was, only one in the streets of the city not awaked, but the birds chirpling, i felt the king of the world :)

Nice that you start with the 'beginners body weight workout' ; it's that post of Steve that brought me to the site when I was on vacation & really felt to do something with my spare time in a hotel room.  & on the same side-note : dont break down on yourself, that's quiete a hard workout ; his workout in his guides, kinda cuts that workout into pieces & spreads it over several days.  so go for it & feel proud of evry repetition you take.  I myself i got scared & quit after one walkthrough , i'm a bit hypochondriac.   But it's a great workout & just proves how basic working out can be <-> the silly shizzle of fitness clubs

After my last posts in fellow #ZAP members i feel like repeating myself: but on the quitting soda : there is one word standing out above all = smoothie  ; it's delicious, and your imagination & groceries store is the limit of making new variaties & it surpasses on all fronts the water...  i mean .. water, you have to drink 1,5l of water a day ... ok , but ..  it's waaaaateeeeer :onthego:     smoothie = water with flavor & all the other good things ,  and in the end you need an alternative for the soda , right ?

Need to get some sleep, hope to hear you later, keep up the good work!

Nusuth Revamped

Current Challenge

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf 

Jon Kabat-Zinn

A quitter never wins and a winner never quits.

Napoleon Hill

Good to see day one went well for you. How has it been since then?

Have you considered to help with your running goal doing couch to 5k? It's intervals of running (small ones at first) interspersed with intervals of walking, and it might help?

Thank you all for the support and encouragement!

It's day 4 and so far, mostly good. :)

I've hit 2 of my 3 circuit days as scheduled so far. I'm only able to complete 1 circuit of the beginner body weight routine, but I suppose the good news is I have plenty of room to grow from here. I did my first run yesterday. Made it about 140 yards before I had to stop. Now that I have a starting point, I'm going to work my way up in small increments to get to 440. I was hurting pretty bad last night, but I woke up in better shape this morning and busted through my stretches and circuit. I'm eating better and skipping the soda. Struggling to meet my writing goals, mostly because my body is T-I-R-E-D at the end of the day. Hoping my energy starts to pick up soon. :)

Yo DL,

As coffeeMinx said, a quarter mile is no joke; even more as a mile is longer as Km; last time I tried to run around the block.. let's say .. I dont count distance, i count time, but in distance it was like .. not even 2km.. so ye, a mile..  I can't even remember the amount of times I stopped to walk, but I surely walked as much as I jogged.  But the joy I felt of doing it, running/walking around in the early morning it was, only one in the streets of the city not awaked, but the birds chirpling, i felt the king of the world :)

Nice that you start with the 'beginners body weight workout' ; it's that post of Steve that brought me to the site when I was on vacation & really felt to do something with my spare time in a hotel room.  & on the same side-note : dont break down on yourself, that's quiete a hard workout ; his workout in his guides, kinda cuts that workout into pieces & spreads it over several days.  so go for it & feel proud of evry repetition you take.  I myself i got scared & quit after one walkthrough , i'm a bit hypochondriac.   But it's a great workout & just proves how basic working out can be <-> the silly shizzle of fitness clubs

Nusuth - I'm loving the circuit. And you're right, it's a heck of a workout! The early morning run/walk is a great way to kick off the day. :)

Good to see day one went well for you. How has it been since then?

Have you considered to help with your running goal doing couch to 5k? It's intervals of running (small ones at first) interspersed with intervals of walking, and it might help?

Tyr, I did try the C25K... and failed miserably. :( Something in my knee went snap, crackle, pop, and I was down for the count for a couple months. If this running plan now starts out well, I will probably try it again.

DefiantlyLiterate

Ranger, Level 2

Current Challenge

1st | 2nd

Ouf, be careful you don't injure yourself!

I'm doing the BBWW too, and have not yet managed the whole thing. Lots of room to improve! I did find though that today (my 2nd time) I was able to do more than I was first time around. If we keep improving then before long we will be killing it ;)

Keep up the good work!

Ouf, be careful you don't injure yourself!

I'm doing the BBWW too, and have not yet managed the whole thing. Lots of room to improve! I did find though that today (my 2nd time) I was able to do more than I was first time around. If we keep improving then before long we will be killing it ;)

Keep up the good work!

Slow and easy wins the race, right? Or at least keeps me from spending 5 of my 6 weeks on the couch recovering. ;)

I did 1 circuit my first 2 days this week. Today I made it through 2, increased my row weight from 8 to 10 lbs, and held my planks for a 20 count. I feel like a rubber chicken now, lol. But a victorious rubber chicken!

DefiantlyLiterate

Ranger, Level 2

Current Challenge

1st | 2nd

Listening to the Man of Steel soundtrack on Spotify as I train today. Need the psych boost.

Down to 2 circuits, but I've increased the intensity. Going slower on squats, 8lbs added to the lunge/twist, up to 20lb rows, and added 10lb bicep curls. 

DefiantlyLiterate

Ranger, Level 2

Current Challenge

1st | 2nd

Day 14

Did my 3rd run of the week today. Ran 448 yds. Sort of. Don't know if the air quality is just shite this morning or what, but i didn't even make it my first 140 before i had to take a break. So I decided since I wasn't going to make my usual 'run to fail' attempt, I'd go the full distance to the end of the lake. Ran the 448, but i had to stop 4x's to breathe. and my right clavicle area went numb (taking my right arm with it), one of my least fave hallmarks of distance running of any sort.

DefiantlyLiterate

Ranger, Level 2

Current Challenge

1st | 2nd

So it's Day 15... and yesterday's run/walk hasn't turned out so well. Can't see much of my left knee today. This is thankfully my 'off' day, but I'm running full out at work, so I'm not staying off it as much as I'd like. Here's hoping the inflammation subsides enough for strength training tomorrow.

DefiantlyLiterate

Ranger, Level 2

Current Challenge

1st | 2nd

damn :/  injuries :(    6weeks tho! better to take good care of it now & make a long comeback, then to get crippled & eaten without a chance

No kidding. Who told my knees they could crap out two weeks in?? Added a fish oil supplement to the diet and took two days off to rest. Started back on strength training this morning (though I cut back to one circuit to be safe). End of the day, and the left knee is slightly inflamed and stiff, but mostly my knees just feel tired and weak. Boo.

But... to quote the mantra of a favorite nerdfest film: Never give up. Never surrender.

DefiantlyLiterate

Ranger, Level 2

Current Challenge

1st | 2nd

Bummer. I just saw your post in #ZAP about not being able to run due to injury. Hope your knees get better soon. Sounds like despite the injuries you're keeping up the fitness motivation! Take it easy.

Lag a'mhuilin
It's the name origin for Lagavulin, which is Ron Swanson's and my favorite scotch.
It means 'hollow by the mill,' which in my mind is a metaphor for my fitness training and education.

Bummer. I just saw your post in #ZAP about not being able to run due to injury. Hope your knees get better soon. Sounds like despite the injuries you're keeping up the fitness motivation! Take it easy.

Thanks, Doc. I'm only doing the strength training now, and while the knees and ankles ache a bit post-workout, it's nothing like the days-long pain from the running. :)

DefiantlyLiterate

Ranger, Level 2

Current Challenge

1st | 2nd

Sounds like you are doing good despite a few set backs. Keep it up! With my own series of set backs and pains just remember to push yourself, but always listen to your body! pushing through the pain (if its real pain and not the good pain of working out) does not help anyone in the long run. The fish oils are great to help keep your joints moving correctly especially if you are like me and do not eat seafood (other than tuna i can mash me some tuna :D). 

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"  - Conan

Quests

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines