What muscle building techniques actually work?

The best muscle building supplements are meat and eggs. Highly anabolic and rich in protein with some natural creatine, and healthy fats which are precursors to testosterone. Also extremely inexpensive if you know where to look.

You should also try liver as a vitamin supplement.

Now if you want to get strong, don't rely on supplements. Do what I do:

Throw out whatever dumbbell flyes and machine exercises you might be doing.

Read up on the squat, deadlift, standing/oldschool military press, pull up, weighted dip and maybe bench press.

Read some beginner stuff like Dinosaur Training and Starting Strength.

Hit the weights like a maniac with a fanatical belief that you will become strong if you only contract your muscles harder.

Do a routine that involves lots of squatting for around six months and then evolve it into your own routine.

Expect minor strength gains in a month, huge strength gains in a year. Four days a week is more than you need.

If not gaining muscle within half a year:

Count your calories and add another thousand in meat, eggs, butter, spinach, milk, etc.

See how much you sleep. Sleeping at least eight hours and being asleep before 10:30 is optimal, because you can't out train your recovery capabilities.

Get extra coaching on your lifting form.

Plan B (if no squat rack is around):

One arm and handstand push ups. (I can explain how to be able to do them in no time)

Heavy overhead dumbbell swings.

Zerchers.

Deadlifts.

Continental and presses.

Clean and presses.

Generally stuff from sandowplus.co.uk.

The six keys to success:

1. Believing in your workout.

2. Worshiping your workout.

3. Consistency.

4. Meat.

5. Contracting your muscles harder.

6. Heavy squats in the rack with those pins/rails/spotting bars to both sides of you in case you fail on a rep and get pushed down.

what he said^ also are you a naturally skinny build (ectomorph?) if so you probably will find it hard to gain size (still gain a decent amount of strength) don't go thinking OH i just wanna get MASSIVE so i'm gonna eat a load of junk, eat clean and eat well, meats, fish, eggs, loads of veg (you need vitamins and minerals etc to make sure your system runs smoothly and is able to function properly) if you've got the balls and the stomach for it try GOMAD (Gallon Of Milk A Day) with whole milk

I agree with most of what's been said (not the ectonorph bit. That's a daft label with dubious science)

Eat more than you want, and try keep it clean. Get plenty of protein and sleep.

Lift heavy weights using as many muscle groups as possible, compound lifts should be 90% of your workout.

The other ten percent is for whatever gets you excited.

add weight to a move as often as you safely can.

So in summary, to get big, eat big, lift big, sleep big, repeat.

The only antidote,

is blood, sweat and hope

and a blueprint to save us from what we have become.

'we work in the dark to serve the light'

Milk. Dairy is a weight/mass gainer by design. You might not need a gallon a day (GOMAD), but it won't hurt if you're really trying to add overall mass. The Best 20 minutes of Your Day article in my sig has a link to an awesome Men's Health article that should help with training regimen guidance.

And since no one else has mentioned it, now might be the time to introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your current routines. Are you doing Starting Strength, Wendler, Wunsler, 5x5, something a Planet Fitness trainer came up with that involves Swiss balls and a broom....?

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

Make sure you are eating enough!!!!

I spent 6 months going every second day for 2 hours with a solid routine and saw marginal gains because I simply wasn't eating enough food to get bigger as fast as I had hoped.

"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. "

- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

something a Planet Fitness trainer came up with that involves Swiss balls and a broom....?

:o you don't agree with the highly trained personal trainer of Planet Fitness???????????? they only take the most proficient and knowledgeable people on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oooo waaaait a minute... i'm taking the piss :)

o and spongebob the whole ectomorph thing i was merely using a label for the sake of using a label, pretty much my entire dad's side of my family are mega scrawny by nature, my cousin eats pretty much nothing but crap and is a bean pole, so theres something behind it even though the 3 main types aren't accurate for everyone

I didn't mean to cause offence timmy, just not a label I like particularly.

Bit like hardgainer, nothing worthwhile was easy as they say.

I can eat for England and find it hard to put weight on, but I am pretty broad, and getting broader.

Everyone is different, just gotta find what works for that person.

The only antidote,

is blood, sweat and hope

and a blueprint to save us from what we have become.

'we work in the dark to serve the light'

:o you don't agree with the highly trained personal trainer of Planet Fitness???????????? they only take the most proficient and knowledgeable people on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oooo waaaait a minute... i'm taking the piss :)

Agreed: any place that will void your contract for grunting during a workout MUST only hire those who are on the cutting edge of fitness research- they must know something the rest of us don't if they expect people to see gains without exerting themselves :)

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

Everything that's been said. And I'll specifically reinforce that Deadlifts are your friend. Squatting and Deadlifting releases a lot of human growth hormone I think, so you could try doing those before your upper body workout. This would only work if you did total body workouts instead of splits, of course.

And believe it or not guys, the Planet Fitness I've gone to a few times with my dad actually has a half-rack. We've got so many fake gangbangers here that they know stopping all the noise and tough guy posturing would exclude half of their clients. Thankfully, almost nobody uses the Rack. I need to get back there sometime.

something a Planet Fitness trainer came up with that involves Swiss balls and a broom....?

I wondered why they never got back to me about the certs they accept. it's because I didn't apply with a ball and broom in person. Maybe wearing a body building fez*

*(Body building fez clearly not a skull cap)

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

It's food. Track your calories per day, and I bet you're eating at least 500-1000 calories less than you'd expect. If you're naturally super skinny, you're gonna need to eat 3500-4000 calories a day.

I'll second teh GOMAD option. It's what I did while traveling these past 3 months while doing only body weight exercises and I put on around 10 pounds of muscle. The strength training helped, but it was 90% diet.

Lift heavy, eat a lot, sleep more.

-S

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.