Kenobi's: Keep Moving Forward & GET DIRTY Challenge

So for the last five months I've been involved in a six month challenge.  I've got one month left of that, but, encouraged by my fellow Assassins and rebels.  I'm coming back to finish the six monther with a six week challenge.  I signed up a few months back to do the DIRTY DASH.  In Time Lord fashion, I'm running alone (sigh...nobody else signed up to run with me) under "Team Gallifrey".  My race day is August, 10.

Being a father, husband, holding a FT job and dealing with a 1yr old who still doesn't want to sleep through the night can be quite tough on trying to stick with my plans.  Being cold or tired will make me a wuss is .001 seconds, so I need a little extra motivation as I continue to move towards the race day.

So thats the basic story and the reason for the challenge title.  I need to keep moving forward, keep doing whatever I can to increase my current level of fitness and then in 9 weeks... GET DIRTY at the DASH!

My goals for the next six weeks:

• Do minimum of 2 "full body" workouts per week (squats, pushups, pulls & planks - OR - lunges, decline push ups, chins and reverse crunches).  1 "Pass" is allowed per week as long as compensating exercises are done (ex: greasing the groove with push ups all throughout the day...something I tend to do when I miss a workout..just see my thread in my six month challenge).  But a minimum of 1 full workout must happen every week.

• 1 time a week minimum work cardio/endurance-type exercises:  mountain biking (7mile route) / sprints / running / gollum crawls

• 1 time a week running on the Eliptical.

• Hit 35 Max Pushups.  My current max is 25, and when I am in 'compensation' mode, I do sets of 20 at work.  Will be going to sets of 25 soon.  So, 35 would technically be an increase of 10 reps over my max.

I don't have the forethought or mental energy right now to really think of a point system.  I'll defer to Wolverine on that one.

"First, decide who you would be and then do what you must do." ~Epictetus 

First day in is going to be my compensation day.  Woke up this morning still HELLA sore from doing sprints and runs on Saturday.

Did a 15min "dynamic warmup" this morning and then did 4 sets of 5 Pulls.

Currently up to 30 Push Ups.  10 this morning during the warm up, and a set of 20 so far at work.

Moving forward...

He's baaaaaaaaaaaaacccccckkkkkkkk.

+15 AWESOME ;)

Hahaha, thanks bro!

Good luck on your goals! You should reach the 35 max pushups goal quickly. Looking forward to seeing how you progress.

Thanks, Red!

Yeay back to the challenges! Love how consistently and dedicatedly (that's a word) you push yourself and keep getting stronger and stronger!!!

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Nice workout and good luck on your goals! Welcome back to the six week challenges.

Thanks, S!  :victorious:

Yeay back to the challenges! Love how consistently and dedicatedly (that's a word) you push yourself and keep getting stronger and stronger!!!

Girl, I just love how supportive you are.  I especially love seeing all the different things you are able to do in your life (via FB).  BTW - that pic you have for your avatar where you are supporting the person above you with that bridge is just.....AMAZING.

Girl, I just love how supportive you are.  I especially love seeing all the different things you are able to do in your life (via FB).  BTW - that pic you have for your avatar where you are supporting the person above you with that bridge is just.....AMAZING.

Well of course! Y'all were my original challenge buddies!! :) haha and thanks-- I had no idea I could hold someone like that until I did it. It's mainly weight distribution/balance, but still feels pretty badass!!

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Well of course! Y'all were my original challenge buddies!! :) haha and thanks-- I had no idea I could hold someone like that until I did it. It's mainly weight distribution/balance, but still feels pretty badass!!

You ARE badass. 

You GTGing the pull-ups too, or just the push-ups?

Yes, the pulls too.  But only GTGing on the days that I am using as a compensation day, mostly.  For example tomorrow should be my elliptical work day, I'll GTG the pushups tomorrow and probably a few pulls too.

Woot! Kenobi back with a vengeance.

Glad to see you with the Assassins again.

Thanks, man!  Its good to be back.

Here is my "dynamic" warm-up, for those who aren't familiar with what I do to warm up.  Basically its the warm-up Steve put up on the blog, with a few added touches to help strengthen & warm up my shoulders better.

25 Jumping Jacks

10 FBW Squats

10 FBW Lunges/leg

10 Arms Swings

10 Hip Extensions

5 Hip Rotations/leg

10 Shoulder rotations forward (arms circles - small)

10 Shoulder rotations backward (same)

10 Shoulder rotations forward (small going to large)

10 Shoulder rotations backward (same)

10 Rotator Cuff lifts/arm (w/approx 7lbs)

10 Forward Leg swings/leg

10 Side Leg Swings/leg

10 Rear Leg swings/leg

10 Shoulder Dislocations (its just what they are called...i don't dislocate the shoulder)

20 Pushups

10 Spiderman Steps/leg (alternating legs so 20 total)

Normally takes anywhere from 10 to 15min depending on distractions or if I work something a little more or if i rush through them or not.

Today I did my elliptical work!  WOOOT!

I got on a 'walked' for about a min at a nice brisk pace to get into things and then...

I put it on a program that increases resistance every 1min15sec (approx) and requires a certain amount of RPMs to be maintained at all times even when the resistance increases.  at the 7min marker I was at level 6 resistance and backed it down to 1 and kept going, a min later the program jumped it back to 6 again.  Hahaha.  Thankfully my "epic soundtrack" pandora station was going and Batman helped me through it.

At the 10min marker I was done, walked a little more on the elliptical and then got down.

I gave myself a quick 30sec breather and walked over to the pull bar and cranked out 5 pull ups, waited about a minute and then cranked out another 20 Push Ups.

I honestly thought that I wouldn't have the wind/strength combination to do those pulls and pushups.

I AM moving in the right direction!

:victorious:

I'll be GTGing more pushups and pulls throughout the day.

Moving in the right direction = awesome!

You doing running in addition to elliptical for cardio?

Thanks!

Yes, as part of my goals I want to hit the elliptical 1xweek - the program i use basically mimics running up a hill, but i felt like i was trying to run through mud - so either way, it worked.  And as part of my goals I want to do minimum 1xweek cardio work - including sprinting, running and mountain biking (but obviously not all at once)

Ok, so after the dynamic warmup, elliptical craziness, 5 pull ups and 20 pushups from this morning...

I did 5 more pulls before I hit the shower to get ready for my short day at work.

I did 5 more sets of 20 pushups, so 140 all in all today.

I did 1 set of 7 Pulls, a set of 6 and another set of 5.

10 sec dead hang.

Moving forward...

:::sighs:::  You know, kids, it kinda sucks when your sleep continually gets interrupted by the chill'ns not sleeping.  (all yous 'rents holla atcha boy...)

Moving onward.

Since I did miss my full workout today, I'm upping the GTG ante with the pushups.

Doing sets of 25 today, which will be a challenge.

I'm in for 50 already.  Stay tuned.  I've got all day!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines