Kenobi's: Keep Moving Forward & GET DIRTY Challenge

Well, I didn't get to do my elliptical run on Weds/Thurs as planned....  BUT I DID IT TODAY!

Did my normal dynamic workout sans the jump rope.  (including 20 lunges and 10 squats which went to the challenge total)

I did my elliptical work for almost 14min today.  Got off, rested 45sec and knocked out 7 Pulls, rested 45 sec and knocked out 20 pushups.

Moving in the right direction!

Today is my 4hr shift at work, so I've also done two more sets of pushups, one of 30 and on of 25.  100 total today so far.

Also, yesterday I did my GTG Pushups...only did 3 sets of 35, so 75.

Not bad for this week, says I.  Maybe I'll be able to get out and do a bike ride tomorrow and basically complete my weekly goals!

So far, 1 very good full body workout, 1 GTG day of Pushups and 1 very good elliptical session.

About 7 weeks until the Dirty Dash.

"First, decide who you would be and then do what you must do." ~Epictetus 

Just watched the intermediate pushups video.... so THAT's what its called...  arms & elbows in tight, hands slightly below shoulders....its called a "close grip pushup"...that's what I've been doing for awhile now... cool!

I started doing these types of pushups and parrallel grip pulls when my shoulder was acting up and hurting.  After about a month of that, my shoulders no longer had pain anymore.  I kept doing the close grip push ups and switched back to regular pulls.  Still going strong.

Long story short - i now have a 'name' for the pushups I am doing.

That is golden Kenobi, I'm expectant to see 1000 in a day shortly :)

Haha, thanks Pat!  That would be an impressive feat!  I'd have to attempt that on a day off, because I think I'd be dripping a few drops of sweat to say the least, I'd basically have to do 25 every 15 min for 10 hours straight.  I wonder how many calories that would burn...?  hmmmm.  hahaha

Just looked at my thread...WTF???  I thought I updated you guys last week!   Anywho...

I actually broke my all time record on my mountain bike....TWICE!!!!  Two years ago, you will recall that I set the record at 30min 01sec.  Last season I didn't get out on my bike.  And then first time out was at something around 31min & change.

Last Friday I hit it hard at 29min 16sec!

YESTERDAY I broke the record AGAIN  28min 58sec!

Tomorrow marks the start of a 9 day vacation.  Since I don't have to worry about getting up and going to work, I plan on hitting the mountain bike tomorrow, then monday doing a full body workout, wednesday hitting the eliptical and maybe a light ride, doing some sort of workout Friday, maybe GTGing and then hitting the bike again on Saturday.

:victorious:

i'm off a day on my 'plans'.  I hit the mountain bike yesterday (sunday).  30min 03 sec.  slower than before, obviously but still pushing pretty hard.  i think a few extra pounds from food and celebratory drink contributed to the slower time.  oh, well, still got out there :victorious:

I also purposefully didn't take as much of a 'breather' before hitting the 20 pushups and 7 pull ups that I did right after bike riding.

Talk to y'all later!

Doing awesome on the bike!

Way to go, Kenobro!!!

Dirty Dash is getting closer and closer. You feel ready yet Kenobi? 

thanks guys for the support!

With vacation this last week, I did the mountain bike thing a handful of times.  I was able to get in a full body workout, but was interrupted by the chillins going crazy, but I still was able to get my sweat on.  Took a friend out Friday morning on my mountain bike circuit, so that was cool. 

Pat - It is getting closer.  I don't feel fully ready, but I know that what I have done will help me along the way.  I am going to be focusing the next three weeks more on the running / mountain biking while still throwing in a little of the pushes and pulls to help keep my strength up.  I have a vest I use for hunting that I loaded up with 18lbs worth of gear.  I'm going to use that the first week, then the next week I plan on adding my water bladder to it and fill it up.  The week after that I plan on increasing the weight again.  That's the plan.  :victorious:

"officially" i guess this challenge is over.

Would love your constructive criticism and input via the data I've put in here VS goals.  Would love to hear what you think.

Yesterday I did 4 sets of 25 and 1 set of 30 for 130 pushups yesterday.  The set of 30 was the last set of the day.

This morning I did 5min on the elliptical at a pace of 57rpms as a warm up - then did 10 pushups and 1.5 pulls (will explain this in a bit)

10 mins at the same pace with increasing resistance every 2min simulating uphill running.

5min "cool down" at same pace with no resistance - identical to warm up phase. then did 10 more pushups.

All of this was done with my hunting vest/gear on.  18lbs weight, my 100 oz water reservoir was NOT filled up. 

Peace!

Looking good, dude.  Definitely made some progress.

Have you tried reducing the reps of the push-ups but working decline or doing them in your vest?  Switching up your training style for a bit there might help get you some more reps.  A weighted complex would be cool too (treadmill, push, pull circuit - all in the vest).

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Looking good, dude.  Definitely made some progress.

Have you tried reducing the reps of the push-ups but working decline or doing them in your vest?  Switching up your training style for a bit there might help get you some more reps.  A weighted complex would be cool too (treadmill, push, pull circuit - all in the vest).

Thanks man!

Yeah, today I did all my pushups in the vest.  I could definitely feel and tell the difference.  I noticed a better balance issue using my hunting vest (which is basically a civillian version of a MOLLE style miltary vest, so I can securely attach things to it) VS using my backpack.  Since I don't have very much weight regarding the "iron" that I have at home, I'll be using the vest to help add extra weight, especially since i can do it "safe" and balanced.

Currently working on ideas of how to do the weighted complex.  Great minds think alike.  :victorious:

REVIEW TIME!

My goals for the next six weeks:

• Do minimum of 2 "full body" workouts per week (squats, pushups, pulls & planks - OR - lunges, decline push ups, chins and reverse crunches).  1 "Pass" is allowed per week as long as compensating exercises are done (ex: greasing the groove with push ups all throughout the day...something I tend to do when I miss a workout..just see my thread in my six month challenge).  But a minimum of 1 full workout must happen every week.

On this goal, I went strong the first few weeks and then kinda dwindled near the end.  I did continue the GtG method even if I wasn't doing a full routine, which helped with the fourth goal, see below for that.  GRADE C+

• 1 time a week minimum work cardio/endurance-type exercises:  mountain biking (7mile route) / sprints / running / gollum crawls

On this goal, I was pretty damn consistent.  I don't think there was a single week that I missed out on doing some sort of cardio work.  It was mainly the mountain bike though.  I did break my own record, so I would definitely call this a win and a pass in the challenge.  GRADE A+

• 1 time a week running on the Eliptical.

Started out weak in this area, but finished stronger.  I didn't get as much elliptical work in as I wanted to.  The next three weeks are highly centered around road work and elliptical work as I enter the final stretch before the DASH.  GRADE: C

• Hit 35 Max Pushups.  My current max is 25, and when I am in 'compensation' mode, I do sets of 20 at work.  Will be going to sets of 25 soon.  So, 35 would technically be an increase of 10 reps over my max.

I tested my max this week and hit 30.  A five rep increase.  Not too bad.  GtG during work and the evening 2 - 3 times a week helped in this.  I went from a 15 & 20 rep average with a max of 25, to a constant 25rep average every time I did the GtG and maxed at 30.  I'm sure if I pushed a little harder I could've squeaked out 32 reps, but 30 is what I did, so 30 is my nex max.  I'm going to regroup and start adding weight now that I am up so high in my rep count.     GRADE:  C+

One "C", two "C+"s and an "A".  Not too bad.  Reminds me of when I was in High School!  Hahaha.

How many points per challenge are up for grabs?  I gotta figure out some sort of point allocation for this.  Help....?

Your followthrough on the push-ups is really paying off.  Are you seeing similar gains for the pull-ups?

15 potential points, 5 max per goal.

Goal 1 - +2 STR

Goal 2 - +2 CON +1 STA +1 DEX

Goal 3 - +1 CON +1 STA

Goal 4 - +1 CON +2 STA

That's how I would do it.  11/15 total points achieved (73% of the points possible).  But that's just me... :)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Your followthrough on the push-ups is really paying off.  Are you seeing similar gains for the pull-ups?

15 potential points, 5 max per goal.

Goal 1 - +2 STR

Goal 2 - +2 CON +1 STA +1 DEX

Goal 3 - +1 CON +1 STA

Goal 4 - +1 CON +2 STA

That's how I would do it.  11/15 total points achieved (73% of the points possible).  But that's just me... :)

I'll take it!!  :victorious:

I'm not seeing the same gains with pulls.  I think that is in part due to not having a good pull bar or area throughout the day at work.  The bar over the men's stall is ok, but i don't trust how its anchored to the wall.  I don't want to try and do 5, 6, 7 and then have the stall rip from the wall.  Same thing with the door frames here in our cubicles.  I'll do one or two wide grips in the bathroom and the same on the door frames.

Well, taking the advice of a close advisor of mine regarding running, I decided to hit the road.  He said that since I am so close to the 'Dash' now that I should get out on the road and run.  He said I might be doing well on a bike or on the elliptical but the impact to my body is totally different when running on hard, solid ground and even cement/asphalt.

So, I marked out a 2.5 mile route which included the 3 largest inclines from my mountain bike circuit.

I did my dynamic warmup as usual, walked about two hundred plus yards distance to my "starting line" and ran.

I did it in 27min on Saturday morning,10.8min/mile.  Not too bad from what I 'hear'.

My friend was right.  Holy hell....he was right.  I made it about between 2/3 - 3/4 of a mile (including the first and largest 'hill') before I slowed down to a walk.  I made it a point to walk for no more than 100 yards.  I think I slowed down four times, but I made sure to run all three inclines / hills and I finished the 2.5 miles running too.  Definitely was an ass kicker.

I had afforded myself 45min to complete it, I honestly didn't know what to expect and was pretty happy to complete it with a sub-30min time.

I walked back home and then did my cool down stretches, ate a banana, had four eggs scrambled, drank some coffee and a ton of water, had another banana, stretched more, took a shower, stretched more.

Whew...

Two days later...holy hell I am sore, second day DOMS are the worst, right?  RIGHT?!?!?

I plan on doing another elliptical run wednesday and then hit the road again this saturday.

Wednesday morning elliptical work: DONE.

I reconfigured my vest and it now weighs 20lbs, the bladder still remains empty, which would add an additional 6lbs.

I did my normal dynamic warmup then hopped onto the elliptical with my vest on.

I did 5min at an average 57rpm pace, then stopped did 10 decline pushups and 5 neg pulls, both with the vest on.

Got back on the elliptical and went for 20more minutes:  10 on my hill program (got up to resistance level 6), then 10 at the regular setting.  During the last 10min, about four minutes in, I cranked the resistance up to 7 and went hard for a minute then backed it down again.  I averaged 55rpms on that 20min.

I got down from the elliptical and then did 10 more decline pushups and 5 neg pulls both with the vest on.

Did my normal cool down stretches...and I am DONE.

Great workout before I headed to work!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines