[Mitch Dee] Transforming from the 'Bulk' and becoming the 'Hulk".....

.........Unfortunately without the gamma radiation this transformation will take a hell of a lot longer than an instant rage change.

Since seeing the "Superheroes in training" group I have spent the last few days trying to figure out what superhero I am similar to. This led me to the fact that I am most like the Hulk/Bruce Banner. Unfortunately I do not possess any of the good attributes of the Hulk as I am severely lacking in physical strength and endurance and I eat like a beast. What I do possess is the anger and rage, which is not a good thing. Like Dr. Banner more and more I tend to seek solitude, partly because of disappointment in myself and part out of the fact I have become bitter and cynical.  I am determined to push farther from these negative traits and move toward the heroic ones!  This will be achieved by working on the Hulk side of my life as well as the Dr. Banner side as well.

Hulk Goals:

SMASH!: (+3 Str, +1 Sta) 

Strength training 3 times a week.  Over the span of this challenge I will complete the Rebel Fitness Guide Level 2 & 3 workout plans.

Edit due to Dr's orders, Legs and core it is now (set in two programs like the Rebel Fitness workout):

Program 1           2 Sets                    Program 2           2 Sets

Exercise               Reps                    Exercise                 Reps

Squats                   15                      Squat to Calf raise   15

Side Lunge             16                      Forward Lunge         20

Calf Dips                15                      Step Ups                 20

Leg Press               10                      Leg Curl                   10

Sit Up Challenge See grid               Sit Up Challenge   See Grid

Reps/weight will increase per week

Hulk not tired!: (+4 Sta)

Complete a 30min Couch to 5K training session 3 times a week.  Time to get off the elliptical and on the treadmill (although the image of the Hulk on an elliptical is now humorously embedded in my mind)

Dr. Banner Goals:

No longer eat like a beast: (+3 Con)

Time to stop shoveling it down like a beast!  Follow a mostly Paleo diet as described in Rebel Diet Guide.  I will allow one bagel thin and one laughing cow cheese wedge a day (So I can still eat breakfast)

Edit for grading:  Per week -> 18+ meals = A, 17 = B, 16 = C, 15 or less = FAIL

Motivate the beast: (+2 Wis, +2 Cha)

Most of my anger comes at myself for not doing what I need to do.  In order to stop this rage I will motivate myself daily to keep on my goals and stick with this.  It is only 42 days and I will make it through each of them.  Motivation will be put in this thread to help prove to myself that I can do this and then start a blog.

I will become a superhero, it will take time but I will make it.  My wife and my daughter deserve no less that a superhero to stand by them and I will be that hero!

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

Motivation Day 1:

I have the audio file of this as my alarm clock each morning.  Figured it needed to me shared!

http://youtu.be/PQI6qN34roc

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

Awesome goals,Mitch! I like your daily motivation idea very much!

You can SMASH this challenge and become the person you know you are, deep inside!

GO FOR IT!

Level 2 Imp. Assassin at heart, training with the Adventurers - Challenges: 1 , 2(Current)STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 6 | CON 4,75 | WIS 4,5 | CHA 3,75

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West

Day 2 Motivation:

This is the approach to life that all Rebels should take:

wake Up kick Ass repeat

Now SMASH day 2 of this challenge!!

Current Challenge

In today’s issue of Becoming the Hulk we find our hero in training suffer a set back….bom bom bommmmmmmm! :nightmare: 

Well as of my doctor’s appointment this afternoon I have been informed I have an unaligned upper rib (near the shoulder), a bicep tendon out of groove and some tricep something or other…….So Hulk NO upper body SMASH!! :upset:   I have been benched from shoulder, chest and bicep workouts for the next two weeks minimum.  So, Hulk SMASH squats (and core)!  I will me revising my 1st goal to reflect a new workout.

Unfortunately it has also been recommended that I skip BJJ for the next few weeks also, so I will have to work extra hard to keep back the rage beast without this stress reliever! :livid: 

On a good note, the semi-paleo diet is working out well, two days down!  Well off to ice my shoulder and try to calm a teething baby that got 3 shots today…….HULK NOT SMASH BABY. :playful:

Current Challenge

Day 3 Motivation:

exercise In morning before brain

This was the case for this morning at least.....but my brain woke up half way through the workout.  At that time I was reminded how different it is to run than use the elliptical!

Current Challenge

Day 3 recap:

Goal 1 - Lower body workout completed.  Squat, lunge and rasies all done body weight, leg press on the sled at 180 lbs. Day 1 sit-up challenge completed as well

On a side note, holy hell are side lunges hard.......how the F can moving out at 45° make an exercise that much harder?!?!?!?!

Goal 2 - 35 min C25K interval training, forgot my scheduele so I did 2 min jog (or fat man run) and 90sec walk intervals.  2.19 miles and 459 cal burned

Forgot what a difference the treadmill is to the ellipitical.....so glad I came back now then waiting to lose more weight

Goal 3 - 1st non-paleo meal today; breakfast was good, had to grab a bite on lunchbreak, but did do an ALL paleo grocery shopping.  Dinner will be chicken and grilled veg, so good there.

Goal 4 - Motivation posted and followed. 

Also finding increased motivation following other rebels challenges, so thank you to you all for the bonus push

Beings today is Wednesday I did my usual weigh in, I decided to take my measurements as well:

• Height: 6'1.5"
  • Weight: 337.2 lbs.
  • Body Fat: 44%
  • Neck: 18"
  • Chest: 54"
  • Waist: 57.5"
  • Hips: 52.5"

I plan on not taking my measurements again until the end of the challenge, and may do the same with the weigh-ins, not sure.  But if these very large numbers say anything, it's that if this big boy can do it, so can any of you!!!!

Current Challenge

Love your Day 3 motivation! That's EXACTLY what I do (seriously not a morning person, so I'm pretty much not awake until after my post-workout shower). 

Your setback is too bad, but your attitude is AWESOME! EXCELLENT Day 3 work!!! And, I completely agree. Side lunges are a beast!!! I think they just activate muscles most of us don't normally use? But man, that is a great exercise.

Inspiring work today!!!! Also, glad Hulk didn't smash the baby. ;) 

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

Hey, fellow big boy!  Also posted my measurements and we are same inspiring shape!  :peaceful:   But if this big boy can do it, you can come with me!  Let's do it! I'm also not re-measuring until the end of the challenge - let's see how many combined inches we can lose!

Admire your determination not to throw in the towel when the doc gave you unanticipated limits!  Improvise, adapt, and overcome! 

OrcWarrior

Current challenge  6 5 4 3 2 1 Favorite recipes

Level 4 ranger  Str 13 Dex 4 Sta 12 Con 12 Wis 11 Cha 5

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

Thanks for all the encouragement guys, your words and reading your challenges motivate me more than you realize.  On the motivation note:

Day 4 Motivation:

tumblr me0scselnd1rlm57ko1 250 9bb7428b sz250x250 animate

And I am SORE today, so I guess I did something right yesterday!!

Current Challenge

Day 5 Motivation:

This is for all you organized types out there.....

work Out flow chart

Current Challenge

Ha! Great motivations! I definitely prefer choosing sore over sorry... Glad you did the same! 

Are you following the instructions of your Day 5 motivation today? :)

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

Are you following the instructions of your Day 5 motivation today? :)

yes I have.  Completed leg program 2 and 2 mile c25k training all before I even posted the motivation!  Was even back before the wife and kid were up....scored some quiet time! :)

Current Challenge

Day 6 Motivation:

For those of you that stop by, sorry this one is going up so late......today has been nonstop since I woke up.  I have just got back home for a quick 30 min freshen up, wardrobe change and to grab the wife and kiddo, and then back out again. 

This on goes out to those struggling with food choices this weekend.  I know it can be tough, and if you eat something you feel you shouldn't you may feel like the whole day is a wash so what's it matter.  Just keep this in mind:

tumblr mdqqfdmuts1rkgm3do1 500 074de848 sz500x431 animate

Trust me, I am off to a dinner that I know will be off my meal plan but I have been keep this in mind all day so I do not feel bad about what I will eat......I will just eat in moderation!!!

Current Challenge

Great motivation again! I agree that the trick is to not let a slip become a slide - one cookie or whatever does not have to lead to all the cookies, a pie, and a truck full of candy floss.

Looks like you've had a great week! Well done, and keep up the great work.

Day 7 Motivation:

Congrats to everyone, week 1 is in the books.  I have enjoyed following everyones progress so far and can't wait to see you all rock your own goals.

daily motivation 1413

Week 1 recap:

Goal 1:  A-> 3 setions of leg and core strength training completed.

Goal 2: A-> 3 30min c25k interval run/walk completed

Goal 3: B-> 17 paleo meals, will push a little harder next week

Goal 4: A-> 7 days of motivation posted, 35 more to go!

I'll take it.  Now to get some rest and attack week 2!

Current Challenge

I'm really loving your daily motivational posters, I find myself looking forward to them every day :D

And you had a killer week! You should be so proud of yourself and not feel tempted to beat yourself up about your paleo score. It's definitely a process, especially switching from a grain heavy lifestyle.

"I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul" -WEH

• Current Challenge: The 6 Labors
  • Level 5 Amazon Assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines