Sammiejune29 - The Voyage Home

Any reason you like those in particular? (and thanks for the recommendation, I'm making an amazon wish list of all the possibilities which I will hopefully narrow down in the coming month)

Wide variety of thicknesses, good length, and looped.  Go for cheaper as long as they meet those requirements. :)

I'm having a tough day. I woke up this morning and my left arm is killing me. Its the stupid shoulder blade/rib problem. I slept on it really funny last night and I think something is getting pinched.

I'm just frustrated because I thought doing lower body and core work only would work. If you guys have any suggestions I am more than open to them.

Take care of yourself SJ!  Healing comes first, goals come second.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

boooo to arm twinges!

hope its better soon

and Wolverine is right healing is first, goals are second!

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

Thanks guys for all your support!! Life has been so crazy busy I haven't been on the forums much :( Definitely noticed a slack in my workouts so I'm going to make an effort to balance things better next challenge.

Sorry to hear about the arm.    Here are a few things you could try:

Wall sits or wall-assisted 10 minute squats.  Using the wall for balance should help you not need your arms
Hollow hold
Boat or half boat pose (adjust arm position as needed until you're comfortable)
front and back scale holds (I'm pretty sure EG has some video of this in her thread)
Get your legs into a lunge position, and then just hold it with your knee off of the ground as long as you can.  If you're worried about balance, do it right next to a wall or door, so you can catch yourself with your good arm.

Thanks for the suggestions! I totally forgot about wall sits. Great idea :) I used it when I did my lower body / core workout last week. I tried the half boat pose but my back really didn't like it (I found some stuff online that said that was a pose to avoid if one has lumbar injuries)

Sorry your arm is acting up.  Static lunges and squats might be the solution.. If you have some sort of rubber band, you could tie it around your legs and cycle in the air while lying on the back to get some light cardio in. This is also possible without the band, but some extra resistance is never bad for you.

Thanks Urzie!! Doing unweighted lunges was great once my arm was on the mend. I just did as many as I could to see how many I could do. It was crazy the volume I can do now!!

biggest hugs

Thanks  :love_heart:  :love_heart:  :love_heart:

Wide variety of thicknesses, good length, and looped.  Go for cheaper as long as they meet those requirements. :)

This definitely made my day, maybe my week ;) I couldn't stop laughing!!

Take care of yourself SJ!  Healing comes first, goals come second.

Of course :D The advice come full circle ;)

boooo to arm twinges!
hope its better soon
and Wolverine is right healing is first, goals are second!

Eowyn, you rock as always :D Thanks!!

Level 7 Half-Elf Assassin
STR: 22.5 | DEX: 13.75 | STA: 15.75 | CON: 18.5 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 12

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Unchallenge, Seventh

You are doing amazingly Sam! So proud of you for sticking to it despite everything that's been going on! Well done!

(also, I've missed you this past week!)

Thanks :D And I've missed you too!! This challenge was crazy for both of us :-/

Don't sweat the week 4 issues.  Everyone seems to get the "week 4 blahs".  Congrats on the 3rd step push-up, and congrats on the weight loss!!!  You really are making great progress! 

For core exercises, have you tried doing the planks with less than both arms and legs?  I've found that one leg up is easiest, followed by one arm, and then one arm and one leg up.  You could also try something different, like hollow holds, holding the boat pose, side planks, or crunchy frogs?  If you're up to 90 seconds on the plank, it's definitely time to try something new.  :)

And, I wholeheartedly approve of guys who want to watch Doctor Who on dates.  :)

So during my plank I've been doing 10s intervals of removing(? I'm not sure what word to use, lol) one leg or arm at a time so I'm only balancing with 3 limbs. This is definitely a variation I'm liking at the moment. I have a hard time finding core exercises that I can do. I can't do anything that required laying on my back because of the dizziness issue and I a lot of them irritate my lower back so that's not fun either. I'm still experimenting to find the next exercise.

We are still watching Doctor Who and I am loving it!!

So during my plank I've been doing 10s intervals of removing(? I'm not sure what word to use, lol) one leg or arm at a time so I'm only balancing with 3 limbs. This is definitely a variation I'm liking at the moment. I have a hard time finding core exercises that I can do. I can't do anything that required laying on my back because of the dizziness issue and I a lot of them irritate my lower back so that's not fun either. I'm still experimenting to find the next exercise.

We are still watching Doctor Who and I am loving it!!

'

I'm so glad you're back!  How's your shoulder feeling?

Planks without an arm or a leg seem like a great progression for you.  Once you're strong enough, you can always remove both an arm and the opposite leg.  A few other possibilities for you to try would be to make some parallettes and work on L-sit progression, or do hanging knee raises if you have a pull-up bar around.  At least those are upright and don't put pressure directly on your back.

And yay for Doctor Who and its cheesy, yet oddly creepy plotlines! 

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Warning: Long post, proceed with caution :P

This was my attempt at a core/lower body workout when my arm was bothering me. It wasn't hurting with any specific movement, just twinging at random times which made any kind of workout next to impossible. I stopped when I realized that everything I tried was making my arm hurt worse. It was a good decision to stop, even if I was bummed out.

Saturday's Workout (July 6, 2013)
Warm up: 150 jumping jacks

Right Leg Weighted Lunges (16lb in each hand): 8*

Left Leg Weighted Lunges (16lb in each hand): 8*

BW Squats: 12

Plank (hands): 10s

*Did not alternate legs on the lunges like usual because that was irritating my arm more.

Tuesday - Chiropractor

Went to see the chiropractor on Tuesday. I had my arm in a sling for most of the day on Tuesday cause it was hurting so badly. It was still bothering me a little so I took it easy for a few more days. Friday I decided to try a lower body/core workout again and it worked much better this time. Stretching and massaging my arm and shoulder with a tennis ball was helping but it was slow to get back to normal and I didn't want to push it.

Friday's Workout (July 12, 2013) - lower body/core only
Warm up: 105 jumping jacks
2 Circuits (67 min)

BW Lunges R(L) alternating: 60(60)/20(20)

Plank (hands): 90s*/30s

Wall Sit: 60s/50s

Half Boat Pose: 60s/50s

Lying Abductions (10lb weight) R(L): 15(15)/15(15)

BW Squats: 10/12

Clams (5 lb) R(L): 25(25)/25(25)
Jumping Jacks: 30/31
Stretches (11 min)

*10 sec with left hand up, 10 sec with left leg up, 10 sec with right leg up (I purposely did not do right hand up because I didn't want to put that much strain on my sore left arm)

Did BW lunges cause I was afraid holding the dumbbells would irritate my arm. It was still twinging every now and then, though it was definitely better since I saw the chiropractor.

Boat pose and I are not friends. It really irritated my back so no more boat pose for me. When I was looking things up today about boat pose I found something that said people with lumbar problems should probably stay away from it :(

New PR on wall sits!!

Weekend Update

Between Saturday and Sunday I walked about 10 miles (5ish each day). My mom and I walked to the local homecoming fair that they have in my home city every summer. I haven't been in years. It was definitely less exciting than it used to be, mostly cause everything was SOOO expensive. It would have been $8 for my mom and I to go on one Farris wheel ride. We decided it wasn't worth it. But we did see a nice band on Sunday and went to the fireworks Sunday night. After all that walking and my legs still being sore from Fridays leg and core workout, I wasn't up for working out. Especially another lower body / core workout.

Monday - Thursday

On Monday my body decided to hate me and I spend most of the day sick to my stomach. And of course I had to drive 3.5 hours in my non-air conditioned car in 95 degree weather. That did not help me feel better. But I made it back. Then working on my company till sleep.

Tues was an incredibly long day. Worked all day either on my own company or my other jobs. Got done around 8 and then hung out with my cute, Doctor Who loving nerd. Wednesday was work all day long too. I've definitely been having trouble getting my workouts in. My schedule is so all over the place. I end up with an hour which isn't really enough to get in a good workout and a shower. I used to end up doing them at the end of the day really late before bed, but I've been hanging out with the guy I'm seeing and watching Doctor Who instead during that time. This is the first time I've dated someone since I have started working out consistently, so I think I just need to figure out how to fit it all into my schedule now.

Finally got to hang out with my ex-business partner again. Last time we hung out it didn't feel the same. This time it was back to the way it always was when we used to hang out. It was wonderful. We went out for dinner and then went back to my new place to hang out for a few hours. I'm glad things are back to normal. I think it was just adjusting to being friends instead of business partners. Also found a giant puddle in my basement. My hot water heater decided that it was going to start leaking. Luckily just a couple of rugs and some dirty clothes got wet. The landlord replaced it today.

Finally got in a full body workout. I had my workout clothes on for about 2 hours before I actually started working out. I kept getting distracted, mostly with putting stuff away in the new place since everything still isn't unpacked. That and dealing with the hot water heater problem. Lol

Thursday's Workout (July 18, 2013)
Warm up: 100 jumping jacks 
2 Circuits (43 min - I timed it and then cleared it without writing it down)
Weighted Lunges (18lb-set1/23lb-set2 in each hand): 18(18)/5(5)

Inclined Push-ups 4th stair (5th stair): 2(5)/2(5)/1(3)

BW Squats: 13/10
Right Arm Dumbbell Rows 30lbs(20lbs): 4(6)/3(7)

Left Arm Dumbbell Rows 30lbs(20lbs): 4(6)/3(7)

Lying Abduction (15lb weight) R(L): 5(5)/5(5)
Plank (hands): 90s*/80s*
Jumping Jacks: 30/30
Stretches (12 min)

*10 sec with each limb up

So a very very mixed bag as far as my workout went. Lunges were great. I added more weight :D Dumbbell rows were pretty good. I added more weight. Lying abductions were good. I added more weight. Planks went well with adding in one handed and one footed varieties. 

Push-ups sucked. So much. I'm hoping it was just a bad day for push-ups and that I haven't actually lost like 2 months of progress.

I may be getting a set of dumbbells for an early birthday present. *fingers crossed* I'm super excited :D

Weeks 5 & 6 Updates

Goal #1 - 3 BW Workouts 

Week 5 (2.5/3) - Meh

Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday

- Saturday was my attempt at a lower body/core workout which I stopped because my arm was hurting too much

Week 6 - (1/3) - Sad

- Arm out of commission half the week, then had major DOMS from the lower body/core workout and walking to and from the fair

Goal #2 - Do something different - Meh (1.3/2)

Weeks 5 & 6 - Tried boat pose but only did it one workout because of all the missed workouts so 1/3 credit for that, walked to and from the fair three times so that was another one.

Goal #3 - Take care of my teeth - 

Part 3 - Find a new dentist and make an appt - Ended up with an appt with a random dentist (long story, lol) but I did it - CHECK

Week 5

Part 1 - Brush 2 times daily (14/14)

Part 2 - Floss 5 times a week (5/7)

Week 6

Part 1 - Brush 2 times daily (13/14)

Part 2 - Floss 5 times a week (5/7)

Goal #4 - Get as much stuff as possible unpacked before going home - Check

- Pretty much everything that we brought before the last weekend was already unpacked. Before I went home we got all the furniture arranged where we wanted it (which seemed to take forever) and I unpacked a decent amount of stuff. We still have a few boxes but the place is definitely livable and feels like home which was the good part :D

Mini-challenge #5 - Lots and lots of jumping jacks (one of the few things I could do and I did extra ones just for the mini-challenge) :D +1DEX

Holy moly that's a big update!  ;)

Good to see that ( a ) you're a live, ( b ) you're in LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE, © your arm is feeling better, and ( d ) you are back to rocking your workouts.  It hasn't been the same without you around!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Challenge #3 The Voyage Home

Overall Grade: B

I feel like the challenge went a lot worse than it did. I actually kept up with most of my goals. I just wasn't updating my thread very often or keeping up with other people's threads. I really, really missed that. Hopefully I can get back into it next challenge. It really affected my performance. I really like/need the support I get here. And I love giving the support as well :D Makes me happy!

Goal #1 -  3 BW Workouts Per Week (18 total)

Possible: 3 STR, 1 DEX, 1 CHA

Final Count: 11.5/18

Grade: C+

Points Awarded: 2 STR, 0.5 DEX, 0.5 CHA

I know that I had a lot of things working against me this challenge. But I can't feel right giving myself better than a C+. I had a dizziness treatment which killed a few days. Plus I was moving and after carrying stuff ALL DAY and going up and down 50+ flights of stairs in one day, I was too tired and sore to workout (not like I didn't get a workout, it just wasn't a BW one) And then I hurt my arm at the end of the challenge. Frustrating but I still felt like I made a lot of strength progress.

Goal #2 - Do something different each week

Possible: 1 STR, 1 DEX, 1 STA, 1 WIS

- Goat wrangling, lots of walking, lots of exercise moving, tried the boat pose, one single bike ride, gardening (complete with farmer's carry)

Grade: B

Points Awarded: 1 STR, 1 DEX, 1 STA

No wisdom point awarded because I feel like I didn't actually make much effort with this goal. I only did stuff that was easy to add into what I was already doing. Still I had some fun and walked places when I normally wouldn't have and got some good exercise in. Even if I met the letter of the goal, I don't feel like I necessarily followed the spirit of it.

Goal #3 - Take Care of my teeth

Part 1 - Brush 2 times daily (79/84)

Possible: 1 CON

Grade: A-

Points Awarded: 1 CON

The nights I missed were mostly nights when I got home super late and more or less fell into bed. I'm still awarding myself full points because I have made it a habit and its not something I forget to do anymore (I would frequently forget before bed before this challenge)

Part 2 - Floss 5 times a week (28/30)

Grade: A-

The week I only got 3, I'm pretty sure I flossed more times but I was forgetting to write down whether I did or not. Therefore I'm giving myself my whole CON point. This was also successful in instilling a new habit in me.

Part 3 - Find a new dentist and make an appt

Grade: A

Done week 6, but its done. Yay!

Goal #4 - Get moved into my new town house

Possible: 3 WIS

Grade: A

Points Awarded: 3 WIS

This was definitely why my other goals suffered this challenge. Moving is the biggest pain in the neck. It was SOOOO time consuming. Granted I absolutely LOVE my new place and things are mostly unpacked so I can't complain too much. I did what I was supposed to do as far as the goal went. I packed stuff up ahead of time, started moving stuff as soon as I could. Everytime I stopped at my old place I would bring a load to the new place. When I got to the new place with a load, the boxes would get unpacked right away (as much as possible). It probably could have gone a little smoother but I've never coordinated a move like this before. I also made a great effort to make both places feel homey in the midst of the move. I hate living in chaos. 

Mini-Challenges:

#1 A difficult choice (1 STR)

- Love pushing and pulling!

Points Awarded: +1 STR

#2 Where is my pac? Maaan… (1 STR)

- Yay planks!!

Points Awarded: +1 STR

#5 Your guild leaders are in another castle! (1 DEX)

- Lots and lots of jumping jacks

Points Awarded: +1 DEX

New Stats:

STR: 11 + 5 = 16 STR

DEX: 5.25 + 2.5 = 7.75 DEX

STA: 10.75 + 1 = 11.75 STA

CON: 5 + 3 = 8 CON

WIS: 9.25 + 3 = 12.25 WIS

CHA: 6.75 + 0.5 = 7.25 CHA

Level 4 Assassin!!

'

I'm so glad you're back!  How's your shoulder feeling?

Planks without an arm or a leg seem like a great progression for you.  Once you're strong enough, you can always remove both an arm and the opposite leg.  A few other possibilities for you to try would be to make some parallettes and work on L-sit progression, or do hanging knee raises if you have a pull-up bar around.  At least those are upright and don't put pressure directly on your back.

And yay for Doctor Who and its cheesy, yet oddly creepy plotlines! 

Shoulder is doing a ton better!! I really needed some rest which I couldn't give it cause we were moving. Plus moving kept straining it in weird ways which is why it kept popping out of place. And massaging it with the tennis ball is also helping a lot. *fingers crossed* that I won't have to go back to my chiropractor anymore for that problem.

I am definitely trying out hanging knee raises. I love that Daniel wanted that pull up bar and then now I use it 10 times as much as he does. Lol

Holy moly that's a big update!   ;)

Good to see that ( a ) you're a live, ( b ) you're in LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE, © your arm is feeling better, and ( d ) you are back to rocking your workouts.  It hasn't been the same without you around!

Yeah, that was two weeks worth of updates written in a day. Lol

:-P I don't know about love...

I've missed all you guys too!! Next challenge will be better :D

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines