PaladinAlex's: To cross an ocean Challenge

So, for this challenge, fitness is actually taking a secondary role. I have a few larger work-related goals that will help me achieve my overall goal for this challenge: being able to afford a trip to New Zealand.

Ok, so everyone understands my motivation, here it is. I have a friend who lives in NZ, I've known her quite a while, and I've been in love with her for oh lets see... going on 7 years now. Some might ask why it took my 7 years to do something about it, and to that I would say she was in a relationship when I met her, and they eventually got married, and me being the guy that I am would never do anything to screw with something that was making her happy. And yes, that totally had me tied up in knots, trying to move on, because I never trusted the guy. Long story short, they got divorved a few months back. I had planned on giving her more time to herself, but I found out about a week ago that she started dating again, so the waiting is over, I'm doing something NOW. Also it's going to be almost another 2 months before I can actually get there.

So that all being said, it's do or die time.

And this is how I'm going to afford that blasted $1500-2000 plane ticket that is between me and the woman I've been dreaming about for almost 7 years:

Goal 1: Get my mobile game to a Beta stage.

This means the game should be almost ready for release, and it should be at a playable state, and all main features complete.

I get paid several hundred for this milestone, not a whole ton unfortunately, as I get a large portion of sale profits.

(+1 WIS, +1 CHA)

Goal 2: Complete the arcade style flash game I'm currently working on.

Most of it is already designed and I have someone working on the art already, all that's left is to build it.

I'm going to be selling this, and on average I could expect anything upwards of $2000 - 7000 for it, depending on how well it's recieved and judged by the buyer.

(+1 WIS, +2 CHA)

Goal 3: Complete the wave style flash game I'm designing.

I enlisted an artist friend's help this morning for this one. As I'm a programmer, my art skills are... sub-standard to say the least lol. So I already have a pretty good idea of where this is going, but we'll need to get all the specifics hammered out and then start building it. So this one probably envolves the most work.

Again I'm going to be selling this one, and the deal is the same as the other. $2000 - 7000, ideally we're shooting for higher quality, so hopefully on the higher end.

(+1 WIS, +3 CHA)

Fitness goals

Goal 1: Get up to a set of 50 pull- ups.(+1 STR)

Goal 2: Get up to a set of 50 push-ups.(+1 STR)

Goal 3: Work-out a minimum of 3x/week.(+1 STA, +1 CON, +2 DEX)

My fitness goals are a bit less ambitious than the last challenge, but I'm going to have much less time for them. But I've got to keep myself lookin good for when I get to New Zealand :rapture:

LV 3 - Lawful Good - Spartan - Ranger Current Challenge: One Momentous Word

Previous Challenge: #1 #2 #3

Battle Log - Epic Quest: To become a Spartan

Current Attributes:

STR - 6.75   DEX - 8   STA - 7

CON - 6   WIS - 9   CHA - 7

Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.

Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying, get the hell out of my way, I've got things to do.

Its not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not.

subbed! Can't wait to hear how the goals go. Also, I hope everything goes good down in New Zealand! Go get the girl!

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Thanks man. Yea I worked on the design portion of the 2nd flash game yesterday, shooting to have both designs complete today. Also going to really see where I'm at with push-ups/pull-ups now that my shoulder is feeling better, as it was hindering me the last couple days, though I still managed 30 pull-ups, but I'm not counting that little mini-workout for the week. I need to stop by my gym to really have a look to see if they have everything I need to start doing the spartan warrior workout too (great book btw, thanks for bringing it to my attention), but they should. I'm probably going to do the program 1, on the advanced level for pull-ups/push-ups.

Current Attributes:

Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.

Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying, get the hell out of my way, I've got things to do.

Thanks leslaz :rapture: and yea, I know, gotta work for those 50 lol.

So, I didn't get to my workout today because I just finished doing a bunch of yard work and I can barely lift my arms now. I think it was using the weed wacker to mow the whole fricken lawn because the mower is broken is what really did them in. But that's alright because it was a pretty good workout anyways. Seems ligit, I'm gonna count it.

I'm also looking to get a barbell and plates on craiglist right now, plus a used tractor tire from a heavy machine supply or repair place hopefully for free. AND I'm going to probably build my own pull up bar in my back-yard since I can't find an adequate bar at any of the play grounds or parks in the area, and I'm kind of sick of my door-frame mounted one. It has one big flaw... I can't do muscle-ups on it.

That's probably it for today, I'm starting to work on my designs now, likely until I fall asleep.

Current Attributes:

50 consecutive pull ups?!  That's amazing.  How many are you at now?  One thing I swear by: my DL helps my pull ups and my pull ups help my DL.  I hope you have someone who knows the proper form really well.  A bad form DL can make for a discouraging workout session or little to no progression in weights.  I hope to hear all about it!

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  Anais Nin 

26yo Female Ranger.  First Challenge titled Rhea Recruited Me because she did.

Haha. thanks doc. And yea, I think my pull-ups definately helped my deadlift... cause holy shit, I didnt get enough plates... I got a 30lb bar and 105lbs of plates, and I can already dead lift all of it once I had my form down, easily. And I definately prefer an alternating grip over standard... anyways... to the numbers!

Pull-ups - 5/4/3/2/1 reps - Honestly these were kind of a joke for me... as I could do them all in one set, but hey I'm following the program, taking it as it comes.

Inverted rows - 5 x 10reps - Okay these were a bit tougher, definately struggled a bit for the last couple reps, had to really fight to tough my chest to the bottom of my bed frame (my bed is almost 3 feet off the ground, fyi)

Dead-lifts - Here's where I had some fun, as these were my VERY FIRST TIME DOING DEADLIFTS - I did 2 x 5reps @ 70lbs because I just couldnt take lifting anything less seriously, so these are where i practiced my form

I then did 2 x 5 reps @ 80lbs, again still just getting my feet wet, starting to feel more comfortable with the movement, getting more confident. Last set I did 1 x 5 reps @ 100lbs.

After I did 1 rep @ 120lbs, still fairly easy, my form didn't falter, shoulders back, chest out, back flat, roughly 20 degree bend in the knees (correct me if im doing it wrong?) and then I did 2 reps @ 135lbs with good form

Push-ups - 1 x 34 reps - I feel I slacked I little bit, I probably could have fought for a few more, but that's alright, I'm still feelin pretty amped about the whole workout in general

Static lunges - 5 x 20sec/leg - lordy these killed, absolutely KILLED. I almost didn't do my last set, but I said to myself "no, this is where the champions are made, get your ass down there and hold for another 40 seconds"... so I did lol.

High planks - 5 x 30sec - I found these fairly easy, though I was definately starting to shake a bit during the last set and had to fight to keep good form.

Dead clean and press - 3 x 10 /arm @ 20lbs - Not too hard, not too easy, definately going to feel it tomorrow, 'nuf said.

Sledgehammer work - Unfortunately I have yet to procude a tire or something for my to beat upon so I could not do this portion, not to mention I can't seem to find my sledge... how you lose something like that... don't ask, idk.

Squat thrusts - 8 x 20sec, 10sec rest in high planks between sets - ok this was definately tiring after everything else, I reaaaally wanted to skip it... but yay, I did it, as it was the last thing... hoo-rah.

And pwallace, you were right, it was an awesome workout. (The spartan warrior workout, day 1, ladies and gents)

Current Attributes:

Today's workout:

Dead hang - 2 sets, 64sec and 48sec holds, 30sec rest in between

Inverted rows - 3 x 5

Half pull-ups(dead hang to 90) - 1 x 25 - I actually find these a bit harder than full pull-ups, I guess because you spend all your time at the weakest position

Static hold(chin over bar) - 1 x 35sec

Deadlifts - 5 x 10 @ 90lbs

2-hand KB swing - 5 x 30sec @ 20lbs

hip extensions - 3 x 10 - These were actually kind of awkward to do at first, and fairly difficult because my glutes were already aching from the deadlifts

Upward dog into downward dog - 5 sets, 30sec each

Jump squats - 8 x 20sec with 10sec rest

Dead clean - 3 x 10 @ 20lbs

Ab rollout - 3 x 5

Overall I was really not as energized today, especially because I was still feeling the effects of yesterday's workout. I feel like this workout plan will either make or break you in the first few days. Going to really focus on everything I can to aid and speed my recovery tomorrow: Plenty of good foods, especially post-workout. Good effective stretching, and making sure I get enough sleep, minimum 8 hours.

Current Attributes:

Day 3 workout:

1-arm supported row - 6 sets/ non-stop 30sec per arm/ 30sec rest @ 20lbs

Deadlift - 3 x 5 @ 90lbs - Light day, just keepping up with the program

Push ups - Descending ladder 10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1 reps, 30sec rest in between each set - 10 to 7 standard form - 6 to 5 wide form - 4 to 3 clapping - 2 1-handed, each arm, from toes - 1 airborn

High plank - 3 x 15sec holds - the program was a little odd for this one, because it didn't have a hold time... it had reps... for a plank? I was a bit confused haha.

Walking push-ups - 1 x 10 - I was supposed to do 3 sets, but these were aggrivating my shoulder, felt like it might be my rotator cuff, which i have injured before, so I stopped

Goblet squat - 1 x 10 @ 20lbs

Unicycle - 3 x 30sec/leg, 30sec rest - usually i dominate at ab work, but they have been working overtime supporting everything else the last 3 days, so these started to kill

Floor press: static hold - held 45lbs for 2:45

Dead clean and press - 5 x 30sec/arm, 30sec rest - these were the last exercise so I went all out felt like I really dominated them, if I took too long switching arms I took it out of my rest time. Went hard for 7min

Tire flip - Still need to try and get my hands on a tractor tire... I need to make a goal to get one before the program calls for another tire workout, because this is the only piece of equipment I still need

I help with recovery I spent a good 20min or so getting a good stretch of everything, starting from my legs and working my way all the way up to my neck.

I felt much more energized today, hopefully I can keep that up for the next few days, because I feel like the first week is probably going to be the most challenging.

Current Attributes:

you are an animal man! Glad you are loving this workout. kep at it

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Hah, thanks man! Yea it's a pretty beast workout, afterwards you just feel like "hell yea, I just did that". Oh and those deadlifts the first day... let me reach one of my long term goal milestones: deadlift 100% of bodyweight :rapture:

...yea I'm kind of a small dude lol.

And since I should probably post my starting stats:

I'm 5'7" at 125lbs, and I did take a before photo, I'm just feeling lazy about pulling it off my phone right now lol.

Current Attributes:

So interesting development today... After discussing it with my friend who is the artist for the arcade kinda game, we've decided we're going to be making a mobile game instead, or rather a series of them. Not one of those soulless micro-transaction play-for-free but pay-to-win ones that I can't stand. I don't want to get into much detail... I'll share more about it as we develop it, and also let you guys know what it's called so you can all run out and spend $0.99 on it :pride: . But I will share this one bit. that inspired it... "Choose-your-own-adventure". That's all I'm sharing... for now :tongue:

Current Attributes:

135 lb DL on your first day!  Nice job.  Since that's more than body weight (BW) for you, what do you think is your next goal--  1.5 or 2 x BW (187.5 lb or 250)???

I had to start my DL (a year ago) with 30 lb.  I had a low back injury that kept me at small weights for a long time.  I switched to sumo DL for a while to take some of my low back out.  It took me more that 6 months to get to a BW DL.  But, now that I'm coming up on the 1 year of lifting heavy (or working out at all...) I am chasing the 1.5 x BW DL.  I have been within 2 lbs of it more than once... I just have to be very cautious (like you said with your shoulder) and know when to walk away.  Another injury is not worth it!

Knee angle can be different for everyone depending on the length of your legs to torso ratio (and even length or tibia to femur ratio).  Can you get a video of you DLing?  That's the best way to have someone give you advice on form (unless you wanted to go the gym together, but I'm pretty sure that's not gonna happen. haha).

Lol, well, the only thing is I need to get more plates if I want to go for those, cause at the present moment I don't even have that much weight to load my bar with. It is in my future plans, but im not 100% sure yet. First thing is I need kettlebells or new dumbbells, I've been using the ones my dad bought for himself when he was around my age. Not in the best shape anymore... actually today one of them actually came apart on me and almost smashed my foot, and I workout in bare feet or my vibrams (barefeet today). Luckily I have pretty fast reflexes and moved my foot(quick feet are happy feet) before the 15lbs dropped on it from almost 2 meters high, because I was doing single-arm dead cleans. SO that's first on my list of new equipment, probably just get a pair of olympic dumbbells for like $25 or something, that way I can just use the same plates that I have for my barbell. ...However, more plates are definately in the future, because my ultimate deadlift goal is 300% body weight, and I'll probably increase in bodyweight by upwards of 40lbs by the time I get around to that... so yea, a lot more weight lol.

And for today's workout:

Inverted rows - 8 x non-stop for 20sec, 10sec rest

1-leg deadlift - 6 x 30sec @ 30lbs, 30sec rest - I focused more on good form and activating all my stabilizers on these rather than heavy weight, especially since balance comes into play on this one

Push-ups - 1 x 40 - single max set, I stopped at 40 because my form was starting to falter, my shoulder buckled a bit on my 40th, so I called it there

jump tucks - 8 x 20sec, 10sec rest - note to self... wait longer after eating when I need to jump up and down for a solid 4 minutes...

step ups - 5 x 30sec, 30sec rest

floor press - 3 x 5 @40lbs w/ 3sec holds at the top, 30sec rest - I had planned to do more like 100lbs on this... but my buddy keeps flakeing out on me so I didn't have a spotter, and I decided risking cracked ribs or a broken face wasn't worth it. So I picked something light enough that I knew I could manage easily, and put on dumbbells instead of my bar.

overhead press - 5 x 3/arm @30lbs

Dead clean - 2 x 5/arm @ 30lbs - aaaand that's where my bar fell apart and I decided I was done since my phone only survived the ordeal by about an inch as well...(it was on the floor where I could see the stop watch app) decided not to push my luck lol.

Burpee's - 3 x 10, 20sec rest

Followed by a nice 20min stretching session again.

Current Attributes:

Oh, and also... I'm actually certified as a personal trainer... so I know the form, but it is a bit harder to watch yourself lol. However my sister is also a PT, and she's gonna be coming to town in a few days, so I'm going to get her to make sure I'm doing them right. She's a bit wary of them herself though, because our family is pretty notorious for lower back issues... which is one reason I've always been on top of making sure mine was solid. Back when I still did those silly isolated machines I was lifting like 200lbs+ on the back extensions lol. I imagine that helped my DLs too...

Current Attributes:

OH... and I just realised... those 40 push ups got me to another milestone :rapture:

Current Attributes:

holy crap man you are powering right through! what did you think of the 1 legged deadlifts? I actually hate them. my balance isn't too good so I think that is why but still. the workout that you jsut did was the farthest I got into the series before I started over. You will have to let me know what you think as you move in more.

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

Estemated 1RM

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Well, I was actually going to do that workout yesterday... but my buddy had "something come up" so i gave him the benefit of the doubt and swapped it with the rest day that was supposed to be today. Then today he bailed again so I said screw it, I'm not waitin for em anymore lol. The one-legged deadlifts weren't bad honestly, but I can see them being alot more challenging if you don't have good balance. But my balance is pretty good, and I have a pretty strong core, so they weren't too difficult. However I think they were quite nice for my ankle (the one I broke), because I think in the chain of stabilizers and such my ankle is probably the weak link, and the 1-leg DL certainly made it work. But yea for sure dude, I'll let you know how it goes.

On a related note I'm thinking I might start working on mastering the human flag on my active rest days cause I'm recovering a lot faster now and I just want to keep pushing... But this way I'll get some extra core work, and so I can look badass while defying gravity lol. :pride:

Current Attributes:

Defy Gravity!  

Your workouts make me tired just reading them!  Very inspiring.  

Home work outs...  That's respectable.  I'm just lucky enough to have free access to a sweet gym that's not too far of a drive.  

Nice work saving your foot.... that would have made for some difficult single leg DLs.  :playful:

I have my husband film me doing DL and squats and then I watch them myself.... hahaha. As I wrote that I realized it sounds so narcissistic.  Really though, he has no idea what to look for when I lift.  I can coach him, but he can't coach me-- so he records.  It's not the best but it has worked so far. 

This is my favorite 300% body weight video (NOT me!!).  She's pretty much one of my heroes; right up there with Wonder Woman and Rosie the Riveter.  I watch this when I feel like DLing is too discouraging or too hard...

Show that gravity who's boss!

Well my main issue with the gym I would normally go to... they don't have just a normal pull-up bar. It makes me crazy, such a simple piece of equipment and they don't have one, just the assisted pull-up machine. Plus it's a really busy gym and I don't care to have people staring at me while I'm lifting, or have to wait for a particular piece of equipment. Not to mention having to explain to people why I'm wearing toed shoes lol.

I think I'll have to get a friend to tape me when I do my final test to see my progress... it's the same one they had all the guys in 300 do to see how far they'd come. Looks like this:

25 pull ups

50 deadlifts (135lbs)

50 push-ups

50 24" box jumps

50 floor wipers (135lbs)

25 dead clean and press w/ each arm (16kg)

25 pull ups

I'm sure many people have seen this already, I believe Steve has even posted it as a 300 workout on the blog as well. Some of the guys in that movie were actually able to rip through this test in less than 12 minutes, which is just insane. My goal is 15min.

And as far as my other goals go... Me and my friend have put a lot of thought into the new idea, and she has actually begun writing the storyline for it. We were discussing it for hours last night. I have also downloaded all the SDKs and APIs I need, as well as a blackberry simulator for testing (rather not load it up on my phone every single time). So I got my coding environment all set up and have started learning all the new tricks and functionality that this "Cascades" API has to offer. So that is coming along nicely. Hopefully we might even be able to release the first chapter of the series within a couple weeks, however we may hold off until we have the second chapter ready as well to release them together. Furthermore, I have to give the name of my company to register with blackberry to get signing keys and debug tokens (basicly, the keys are for publishing, and the tokens are for testing on my actual phone), so I'm going to see about applying for a start up grant for my company and actually starting and registering it, even though it will be quite small to begin with, that's ok.

I'll post my progress on my work for the day either later tonight or tomorrow.

Current Attributes:

Had a nice little workout, and a whole lot of stretching.

Some dynamic stretching while I warmed up.

3 x 5 deadlifts @ 135lbs - I was just amped up to do some dead lifts today, so I did.

2 x 10 push-ups - pretty easy for me, but I wasn't doing anything too major today

aaand then I took my dog for roughly a 5k walk, jogging for short bursts. (I'm in way better shape than my dog, and he's startin to get old, can't push em too hard)

And that was my active rest day.

I also spent about 40 minutes, just taking my time, getting a nice good stretch of my whole body, from my ankles all the way up to my neck. just layed there doing nothing for a bit afterwards, it felt so nice to be all loose.

I also contacted my career advisor today, and I'm going to be going to see her in the near future to discuss my business plan. However she wants to find some more resources or someone who has a better idea about starting a business first because it's not exactly her area of expertise. She's more about helping us find jobs in the industry... but the main advise all of us has been given is... move out east cause all the companies here that were relying too heavily on government tax breaks just went belly up, big and small alike. There are still some left, but all these veterans who just lost their jobs are trying to get jobs at those places as well. So I feel quite optimistic about my choice to start my own, especially as I won't be relying on tax breaks to make it through the day. Plus if I have some big successes in my first few releases, and start needing more staff... It's an employers market here right now.

Current Attributes:

Haha thanks. I just gotta make sure I take enough rest, and I don't push it too hard. All my numbers are going up though, except my weight... but I think that's cause I lost w/e tiny bits of fat I still had left. I noticed the other day, my shorts that fit just right before... are now almost falling down, which is kind of a pain lol. I don't want to have to wear a belt, but I think it'll be fine, because now they're sitting on rock solid muscle, so I'm fairly confident I won't be getting any smaller there. Seriously though, I was totally not aiming for that, I'm already small enough :worked_till_5am:

Current Attributes:

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines