• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Syl

Wrist pain during squats

The thing is that at some point, if you're working hard enough, things are going to go wrong. We always want to be in a position to best manage these things and minimize damage. False grip pressing doesn't (or at least shouldn't) pass this litmus for a lot of people. If you're an elite PL'er using a false grip, fine. You understand and have managed the danger to make it this far. If you aren't, take your medicine. In the long run a false grip won't put any more weight on the bar than a regular grip and a regular grip is indeed safer, feelings aside.

The bar doesn't just fall out of your hand. You can feel if it's trying to roll.  That's what I mean by feel.  Lately I have been practicing hook grip though. Just is case ^ the heroin kicks in and I nod off during.

ditto

:)

although I prefer X. Heroin is too messy for me. 

You don't really need the hookgrip for pressing as there isn't really any rotational force to overcome. The reason it works in pulls is because the bar wants to roll out of your hand and hooking your thumb helps minimize this effect, much like the alternating/switch grip, just to a lesser degree. In a press the bar is just mashed into your palms. Maintaining a hookgrip in that extended position does require mobility and will contribute to bad feelings if you don't have it.

Again, the thumb position isn't really going to affect force production either way and while I'm all about feeling on the technical lifts I just can't see the false grip providing any real benefit over a regular grip once you've developed it. We do the same sort of stuff with idiosyncrasies in the Olympic lifts. Some things feel better for certain athletes, are technical grey areas, and don't increase the risk so we explore options but let them go back if it feels better. Some things feel better at certain times but are demonstrably inferior techniques or more dangerous so we work to correct them and make new good feelings. Feeling is a big part of the game but if we never evolve our technique solely in pursuit of feeling we aren't going to make much progress.

:( I missed this whole discussion. Nevertheless here's my input.

• I grip the bar hard (thumbs around) when I squat. Agree with j's post with the fancy scientific word regarding tension.
  • I don't false grip bench press because I don't have a death wish.
  • I do false grip my overhead press because I like it and I have cat like reflexes in case the bar slips.
  • I don't do heroin because it interferes with my pre-workout.

You know, I'm cool with the false grip on the OHP because unlike the bench press and Bush 2, you have an exit strategy. We dump bars from overhead all the time. The same can not be said when you are laying on a bench between said bar and the ground.

So I decided to come back to my thread to see if there was anymore advice and now I just have more questions. Who wants to point me in the right direction for information about all these various grips that y'all are talking about because I have no clue what y'all just said.