"Name's Knightwatch, with a K, like the ballteam. I'm in the Boston book. Under "tough"."

OK, so this Challenge is gonna start a multi-part theme.  Long story short, there will be a badass to draw inspiration from, each and every Challenge for the rest of the year.  Hey, I said back in January that 2013 was gonna be the Year of the Badass!

...it's just taken me half the year to get my life even mildly back under control.   :D

So to kick things off, it's an absolute no-brainer.  Going back to my roots here, to good ol' Spenser.

(OK, OK, I'll be the first to admit that the show reallllllllllllly never quite captured much of what Spenser is about, but hey, y'always need a video embed to start things off, amirite?)

Anyway, to make an even longer story less ridiculously long, I've often credited Robert B. Parker's fictional Bostonian PI for giving me direction in life when I needed it most.  I discovered the books as a completely rudderless college kid, and return to them whenever I start feeling lost again.  Like now, for instance.  So it's back to basics, and asking myself, What Would Spenser Do?  

(sidenote: Spenser's creator, Robert Parker, died a few years ago.  The Parker estate decided to continue the series under a new writer, Ace Adkins.  At first I was really nervous about this because Dr Parker had a certain voice, and the Spenser books were sacred.  But, I tried to remain optimistic right till I read an essay about Spenser by Adkins a few months before his the release of his first go at it.  Said essay eased alllllll concerns I had.  It proved that he got it; he was a fan himself, and found direction under the character in nearly the same way as I did.  And sure enough, he's now writing better Spenser than Parker himself did in his last years.  For a bit of insight into how ol' Knightwatch ticks, take a gander at the essay, found here as "Songs Spenser Taught Me".   :) )

For those not familiar with the series, what he would most likely do is punch a badguy in a bazoo, kiss his sweetheart, work a heavybag, roast a chicken, eat a donut, benchpress a barbell, listen to some jazz standards, run along the Charles, sip some whiskey, listen to the ballgame, read some Frost, eschew the system, and save the day.  

That'd all probably be before lunch, and I'm already behind.  Shoot.

Anyway, what makes Spenser who he is?  Well, here are a few things to start with:

SPENSER LIFTS

Time and time again throughout the series, it's made clear that Spenser is a big, strong guy.  He lifts weights on the reg's (for a stretch though, when universal machines were all the rage, Parker had him using those.  Ow, my soul!) and at one point it was mentioend he could bench somewhere in the mid-300's.  That's decidedly more than I can do.  :D

His weight over the series has gone up and down between like 195 and 210, which, if I got rid of a good portion of my chub, would probbbbbably be right around where I'd be.  So the goal is to get closer to that weight range (not gonna do it this Challenge, but I can make good progress!), while still maintaining or increasing strength.

So, goal: lose bodyfat but not  a lot of strength.  I can take a small hit, but I really believe that most of these excess pounds are pretty useless, and I can maintain or even get stronger as they drop off.  I'll consider this goal a success if my max numbers remain the same, and get some bonus points if I can add to them while dropping 10 or more pounds!

SPENSER RUNS

Some of the most iconic images of Spenser for his fans are his runs along the Charles River.  Now, at a few points in the series he claims to run 5 miles a day and sometimes "stretches out" to a ten miler once a week..  In the most recent books, he's been mixing in slightly more "updated" training (stadium bleacher runs, sprints, and slightly less frequent long runs).  I'm never gonna be a "runner" runner.  It's not my build or my inclination, but I sure do miss going on nice runs when the weather is nice, or doing a road race once in a while.  And I can't possibly call myself at all Spenser-esque if I can't go an easy three miles.

So, there's the goal.  Run 3 miles unbroken.

I'll be using the Zombies, Run! 5k Trainer app.  So far it's been a lot of fun!  Granted, zombies and Spenser do not exactly mix, but whatever.  :D

SPENSER COOKS

One of Spenser's other most defining characteristics is that he's pretty much a gourmet.   It wasn't as emphasized in Parker's last works, but Ace Adkins has started to work in more of those classic Spenser-cooking-at-home scenes since taking over the series.  He doesn't follow any particular "diet" or anything, but he just generally eats well with freshly made meals.

If anyone ever wants to get to be more like Spenser, they've gotta cook.

I can generally cook the basic things, but I rarely ever branch out.

So, goal: At least two new  meals every week, from a cookbook or whatever.  i'll do my best to post what I did with pics!

SPENSER IS CULTURED

Though he usually jokes that he's just a professional thug, Spenser is one cultured dude.  He's ridiculously well-read, quotes poetry, visits museums, and takes Susan Silverman to shows and nice restaurants, and galas and the like.

I used to go to things too.  Now it's just work, eat, sleep, rinse and repeat.  Unacceptable.

So.  Three events during this Challenge.  It can be anything.  A museum, an exhibit somewhere, and rock and roll show, a jazz club, an open air arts festival, whatever.  It doesn't have to be strictly Spenserian, but it has to be something out of my routine, as a way to get out and about again.

(BONUS: SPENSER BOXES)

At least once, and hopefully twice, do a full "boxing" routine. Skipping rope, shadowboxing, heavybag.  I used to do this all the time when I boxed, now it just kills me.  It won't be pretty, and I may be slow, but I'm looking to get back into it.

BONUS: SPENSER GOES HIS OWN WAY)

Once again, a defining characteristic.  When asked why he does what he does for a living, he usually says it's because he's good at it, and it allows him to live by hos own rules.  That's always appealed to me.  Now, I'm not gonna become a PI in my lifetime, but I also feel that I'm coming to the end of my time where I'm able to work within systems.  Eventually, I want to work for myself, in some capacity.  I wanna live by my own rules, and escape busywork and bureaucracy.

So, I will read at least one of Chris Guillebeau's books, and will get the ball rolling on my Personal Trainer cert.  Not sure exactly what form this will take, and I doubt that PTism will be the endgame, but any progress at all will be a positive step forward.

Hope everyone is off to a great start!  Let me know if I can help at all!

:)

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Hey, glad to see this up! You'll have to update more so Laura doesn't claim it in the name of gifs again! And hopefully things will be more calm than last go-around.

Definitely this! The memes might take over again. Although, it was a damn funny thread with lots of showerbeer goodness. Can't wait to see the details!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

First off, I thought this was the fun hijacked thread of memes and shower beers. Boo.

Second, I tried this in another thread entitled "hawk" and boy was I wrong. So I try it here

Hawk is one bad mother.

(Pssst. Can I be hawk?)

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

First off, I thought this was the fun hijacked thread of memes and shower beers. Boo. Second, I tried this in another thread entitled "hawk" and boy was I wrong. So I try it here Hawk is one bad mother. (Pssst. Can I be hawk?)

You don't want to be Captian Sisko? :D

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

You don't want to be Captian Sisko? :D

OMG I have to choose?????  Sisko was smart but Hawk was one bad mother

Then again, Sisko didn't need no Spenser....  But Hawk didn't have his own space station....

GAH!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Welp, four hours into the forty hour training thing, and my eyes are gonna bleed out of my face and my butt has taken the shape of the unfortunate plastic chair I was perched upon.  Holy crap, this is gonna be wretched.

Gonna go see if I can find something halfway decent to nom upon on our break here.  Then back to training session till 5, upon which time I can start what's usually the hour commute home, which I'm sure  will be shorter than usual during rush hour on the Longwood to Huntington to 95 to Pike route, right?

....right?

ANYWAY, hopefully I'll be home by like 7, and then I gotta try getting to the gym, cooking up something for dinner, and hitting the hay so I can leave my house for day two at 0500ish tomorrow.  Yay!

Hope everyone's staying strong!

:)

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

So glad to see you here for another round!!! Great goals!

Goddess Scout Level 5

STR: 11 | DEX: 3 | CON: 13 | STA: 8 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 10

All it takes for evil to triumph in this world is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

"Make yourself happy without hurting others, then help others to be happy without hurting yourself.

The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~Bertrand Russell

Previous Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Talia's Quest to run the TC Marathon v2.0

Run Tracking

Training?  Man, you got this.

I AM going the distance

Back on line!

Man.  Last week was brutal.  Four 10-hour days of straight lecture.  I think my ass took on the shape of the unfortunate plastic chair upon which is was planted.  But, managed to get in a random lift or two and a couple runs, so, not too bad all in all!

Today, we get to work.

Already started things off with some bacon and eggs, and I'm about to have some chicken/guac salad and nuts and stuff.  Tonight will be a salad loaded  with steak, and I'll make extra for tomorrow's lunch.

Training tonight will be presses, chins, and some other stuff.  Maybe hit the heavybag some in Spenserian fashion.  Tomorrow, deadifts and another running session.

OK, gonna go back and fill in some details for my Challenge goals.

Proper workout and food log for the day to come!

Hope everyone is off to a strong start in week 2!  Y'all got this!

:D

Just remember - Doesn't have to be pretty - just has to get done :)

Goddess Scout Level 5

STR: 11 | DEX: 3 | CON: 13 | STA: 8 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 10

All it takes for evil to triumph in this world is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

"Make yourself happy without hurting others, then help others to be happy without hurting yourself.

The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~Bertrand Russell

Previous Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Talia's Quest to run the TC Marathon v2.0

Run Tracking

Hey, glad to see this up! You'll have to update more so Laura doesn't claim it in the name of gifs again! And hopefully things will be more calm than last go-around.

soon_honey_beer_bottle.jpg

Where there is a Kdub thread, there is a Laura.  Mostly waiting to cheer you on in all your greatness :)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Already started things off with some bacon and eggs, and I'm about to have some chicken/guac salad and nuts and stuff.  Tonight will be a salad loaded  with steak, and I'll make extra for tomorrow's lunch.

Meat makes salad taste sooooo much better! Especially when it's leftovers!!

OK, initial goals have been updated on the first post!  As a quick review:

1. lose 10 pounds while maintaining or adding to strength numbers

2. be able to run 3 miles

3. cook at least two new meals a week

4. go to at least 3 cultural events

5. boxing workouts 1-2 times a week

6. read a Chris Guillebeau book and get the ball rolling on my PT cert.

It's on!

OK, initial goals have been updated on the first post! As a quick review:

1. lose 10 pounds while maintaining or adding to strength numbers

2. be able to run 3 miles

3. cook at least two new meals a week

4. go to at least 3 cultural events

5. boxing workouts 1-2 times a week

6. read a Chris Guillebeau book and get the ball rolling on my PT cert.

It's on!

Getttttt it.

I sense a disturbing lack of shower beers in this thread. This cannot stand......

oh the disappointment

utter disappointment

I AM going the distance

So, today's workout:

WARMUP

2 rounds of:

* 10 pushups

* 10 PVC pass throughs

PRESS, STANDING STRICT

45 x 5

95 x 4

115 x 3

135 x 2

180 x 3

180 x 3

180 x 3

180 x max (got 5, plus 4 pushpresses)

HANG POWER CLEANS

135 x 5

155 x 4

175 x 3

185 x 2

PULLUPS

DIPS

BAND PULL APARTS, GREEN

Followed all that up with some real light heavy bag work.  They just installed a 2 bag stand, but haven't weighted it down yet.  Pretty light combos were allllmost tipping it, so I'll help off till they get it all set.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines