the heaviest we are going is the PVC pipe

2. “Ron Burgundy”

3 rounds

20 sdhp 95/65

20 wall ball

20 box jumps 24/20

20 hand release push-ups

came in at 14:55

pushups were the hardest, then wall balls, then box jumps.

for the pushups and wall balls, i tried doing 5 reps, then 5 seconds rest, then 5 reps... etc. instead of going to failure at first.

ive decided on the box jumps to instead of trying to go really fast, to just do them all without rest. so slower, but no rest. then i can speed it up later as i get better.

no extra lifting for today - still catching up on sleep from the move.

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Congratulations on getting back to size 1!

Why is that WOD called Ron Burgundy? It sounds like a lot of fun - I want to try it.

ive decided on the box jumps to instead of trying to go really fast, to just do them all without rest. so slower, but no rest. then i can speed it up later as i get better.

That's been my new technique with box jumps, and it's been working pretty well getting me through WODs. I'm hoping that I'll be able to speed up a bit soon but for now I'm just trying to stay steady.

Congratulations on getting back to size 1!

Why is that WOD called Ron Burgundy? It sounds like a lot of fun - I want to try it.

That's been my new technique with box jumps, and it's been working pretty well getting me through WODs. I'm hoping that I'll be able to speed up a bit soon but for now I'm just trying to stay steady.

thanks! im excited to have part of my wardrobe back, ive been living out of 1 pair of jeans the last month or so :)

and i have NO IDEA why its called that but it was awesome. anything with pushups/box jumps KILLS me.

and yeah, i figure if i stay steady, then just go steady... faster next time, its an improvement, right?

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

OK SO.

first of all, i get up, i go to crossfit. see people running out in the sun and laugh, thinking "oh, those poor, unfortunate souls".

Team WOD

2 people per team

run 400 as a team

wheel barrow 200 feet each

20 foot 2 bar each

run 600 as a team

30 foot 2 bar each

run 800 as a team

40 foot 2 bar each

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

SO, first of all, not only is it a running workout, but its ridiculously hot and polleny out, AND ITS A TEAM WORKOUT so I was totally holding someone else back.

It took like 32 minutes, roughly?

i ended up doing knee to elbows starting at about 20 on the second set of foot to bars.

and i suck at running.

so then, i went over to my other gym to do some heavy squats.

because thats exactly what someone should do after that wod.

so i did hit a PR, but its like, been 3 months after i last squatted heavy, so im not happy with that number.

going to do a light day later in the week, and then attempt a heavy day again next weekend that is NOT RIGHT AFTER cf.

squat

45x5

95x5

135x5

165x5

190x3

205x1

then i scaled it down to 135, ATG squats, and at the bottom of every squat counted to anywhere between 2 and 5, and then got up.

135x5x5

press

45x5

75x5

hang clean

65x5

&jerk

85x5

power clean & jerk

95x5

powerclean, no jerk

105x3

115x1

got lightheaded at the top of that 115powerclean, so decided it was time to stretch and go home.

BUT MORE IMPORTANT THAN MY STUPID NUMBERS!

about halfway through my squatting, i had the pleasure of meeting a NF reader and we got to talk a bit in between sets before she had to go back to the fencing competition she was at. (that was going on in the next room)

totally awesome.

(Katie, if you're reading this, I was serious about how awesome it would be for you to join in next challenge! we would all LOVE TO learn about fencing. I wish I had more time to stay and actually watch it, it looked like such a good time!

also, im sorry to disappoint you that i was not wearing the viking helmet at the gym. it wont happen again, i promise ;))

and yeah, i figure if i stay steady, then just go steady... faster next time, its an improvement, right?

Definitely an improvement. Something I tried out today was a bunch of box jumps at 24". Since women do 20" box jumps for the WODs at my gym, I figured if I can get not-terrible at 24" box jumps, I'll improve my WOD times. I have a nasty cut/bruise on my shin for one overly ambitious jump, but I'm going to try incorporating this when I'm at the gym.

ok, so fyi everyone = im terribly allergic to grass.

after yesterday's yardwork, i woke up this morning with a total disasterous stuffed up face.

today's workout:

5 @ 65% of 90% 1 rm

5@ 75% of 90% 1 rm

amrap @ 85% of 90% 1rm

based off of a 1rm of 115, I did:

5x70

5x80

10x90

then, the wod: regional wod 1

1000m run

30 handstand pushups

1000m row

this was miserable.

the run took like over 6 minutes.

the 30 handstand pushups were fine, i did that with an abmat and another thing that's like an inch under it.

then the row took FOREVER. something hurt in my side and i had to stop like, every 250 meters.

i finished in like 18 minutes total.

could have done better my first day at crossfit (cardiowise, not handstandpushup wise)

today was not my day.

the good news is that my rings and jump rope came in the mail!

also, my boss said I can change my hours, so that means ive got to change my ENTIRE training schedule.

working on figuring that out now :)

ok so today was the first day of splitting my workouts into two.

first up was crossfit:

1. Skill

Power clean

did... 45x5,65x5,85x5,95x5

then!

2. “Sex Panther”

3 rounds

10 power cleans 155/105 (scaled down to 95lbs)

15 kb swings 1.5/1

20 box jumps 26/22

25 wall balls 20/15

30 double unders (scaled down to 90 singleunders and many doubleunder attempts)

finished in 18:17.

So then work, work work work... work work....

and more gym!

first lesson of splitting up workouts: i need to eat more throughout the day. i was pretty hungry at the gym, not used to lifting at this time.

squat

45 3x10

95x5

135x5

165x5

190x1

hang squat clean

45x5

75x5

95x5

squat clean

95x1

115x3

95x3

95x a bunch

front squat

95x5

sl deadlift single leg

95x5 each leg

at that point my side started hurting again, and i was starving.

now im attempting to make apple and cinnamon stuffed pork chops. they currently look like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]362[/ATTACH]

post-335-135672429768_thumb.jpg

gijane

100 burpee pullups for time

at first i think, "i totally need to do crossfit just for the ridiculous workout names." and then i think, "you don't know what a burpee pullup is, but you could do neither 100 burpees nor 100 pullups, so let's not get ahead of ourselves."

either way, you're dominating! is there any prescribed "intro to crossfit" sort of routine? occasionally i check out the WODs and just think, "okay, i could maybe do 1/4 of these lifts, and 1/8 of the Rxed reps. is there any benefit to me even attempting this?" just wondering if there's a good way to ease into things.

"Did you go to the gym when you were alive?"
"I died in 1938. For exercise, we drank sloe gin and smoked Lucky Strikes."
- Dead Like Me

at first i think, "i totally need to do crossfit just for the ridiculous workout names." and then i think, "you don't know what a burpee pullup is, but you could do neither 100 burpees nor 100 pullups, so let's not get ahead of ourselves."

Don't say that! You can totally do 100 burpees, it just might take you way longer than 17 minutes to start out. You break it up into, say, 10 rounds of 10 each. Then tomorrow you do it in 9 rounds of 11 (plus 1 last one), and you work your way up to 100 unbroken.

If you can't fix it with squats and fish oil, you are probably going to die.

My 6-week Challenge

either way, you're dominating! is there any prescribed "intro to crossfit" sort of routine? occasionally i check out the WODs and just think, "okay, i could maybe do 1/4 of these lifts, and 1/8 of the Rxed reps. is there any benefit to me even attempting this?" just wondering if there's a good way to ease into things.

Don't say that! You can totally do 100 burpees, it just might take you way longer than 17 minutes to start out. You break it up into, say, 10 rounds of 10 each. Then tomorrow you do it in 9 rounds of 11 (plus 1 last one), and you work your way up to 100 unbroken.

exactly, you CAN TOO do 100 burpees, and you CAN TOO do 100 pullups.

there's no time limit!

I'm thinking of doing 1000 burpees over July 4th weekend...

And a burpee pullup is when you do a burpee, and then on your jump up, instead of clapping, you do a pullup.

You can absolutely scale the WOD's the way you want. I don't do the Rx'ed weight sometimes, because I'm not strong enough for it or I don't have the move down completely.

For example, they had this one up the other day:

"Nate"

Complete as many rounds in twenty minutes as you can of:

2 Muscle-ups

4 Handstand Push-ups

8 2-Pood Kettlebell swings

For this, if you can't do all of the movements, you do:

3 pullups (which you can use a band for if you dont have pullups yet), 3 ring dips (also can use a band)

4 Wall Climbs, or partial HSPU

8 Kettlebell swings at whatever weight you can.

The idea is that the weight should be heavy enough to be challenging, but not so heavy that you're pulling singles or doubles. You want to be able to perform them quickly.

The Rx'ed weight is really just a guideline, and not necessary. I scale up and down depending on that lift and how I feel about it.

If you were actually to go TO a crossfit gym, there is usually an onramp course where they teach you the lifts. Could be worth even just going for one or two sessions to have them teach you the movements even if you don't plan on staying!

ok, getting behind on updating.

THURSDAY:

1. Deadlift

5 @ 65% of 90% 1rm

5 @ 75% of 90% 1rm

amrap @ 85% of 90% 1rm

So I ended up doing:

45x5

135x5

185x5

215x5

245x14 (but broken into smaller sets of anywhere from 2-5 with about 30 seconds rest in between each. my hands are a disaster from the 100 burpee pullups)

2. WOD

row 300 meters

21 push-press @ 60-65% 1rm

row 300 meters

15 push-press

row 300 meters

9 push-press @

row 300 meters

So with 75lbs I finished in 11:20.

I then did an hour of yoga at lunch. No additional lifting after.

FRIDAY SO FAR:

Today was a choose your own adventure day (well, he gave 3 options for strength and 3 options for the WOD)

I chose:

Work to a heavy 1 for Overhead Squat

so:

45x5

75x5

95x5

115x3

125 - failed

120x1

then:

“Nancy”

5 rounds

run 400 meters

15 overhead squats 95/65

21:50... running was my downfall, was able to do the 15OHS without putting the bar down at all all 5 rounds.

I've been lurking on your thread for a while, and just want to say that I SO enjoy reading about your progress! You are kicking this challenge's ass, and you are my hero (well, you and Knightwatch).

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

nicely done on the OHS. Nancy was the WOD they were doing on my very first day at my gym, when I took the "fundamentals" class before jumping in for real WODs. I remember being in awe of this one girl who was pretty slim and was just killing her squats - she probably looked something like you doing the WOD!

haha or a million times more awkward, overhead squats are always lots of fun.

I've been lurking on your thread for a while, and just want to say that I SO enjoy reading about your progress! You are kicking this challenge's ass, and you are my hero (well, you and Knightwatch).

hey, thanks so much! :) and knightwatch is most definitely one of my heroes too. one day i'd like to be able to lift like he does!

i am doing nate tonight.

i have a lot of frustration to get out, so hopefully it will help me!

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

so its been since friday since ive really updated this.

SO.

Friday Night I went after work and practiced snatch push presses and snatch balances. I didn't write it down.

Then Saturday was Warrior Dash!

It rained for like 3 days before, and the mud was definitely an issue.

However! We succeeded.

PROOF:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA99C3pgTTk

(I'm the taller/paler/first one the video is focusing on)

and i only came out with a few bruises. and by bruises, i mean gashes.

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg610/scaled.php?tn=0&server=610&filename=18cze.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

so that was fun!

Sunday I unintentionally took off from working out by sleeping until 12:30. My gym = only open 9-1030 on Sundays.

oops.

But instead, I worked on other life goals, like working on cleaning and organizing my apartment (still not done, but got a huge dent).

I got rid of a few things. I worked on creating a budget. I answered emails.

And then I met up with mister Kamb himself!

I then closed out the evening continuing to organize/clean and watching revenge of the nerds. (after talking nerd world domination, i felt it was only appropriate) and MASSIVE amounts of stretching.

So all in all a very productive Sunday :)

ok, now. off to go squat before the gym gets too crowded. Will update with this morning's workout/tonights workout when i get back!

TWO AMAZING THINGS HAPPENED TODAY

ONE:

THREE DEADHANG PULLUPS IN A ROW.

TWO:

HEELS ON THE GROUND DURING DOWNWARD DOG.

ok so.

lets back up to this morning:

1. Thruster

3@70% of 90% 1rm

3@80% of 90% 1rm

amrap@90% of 90% 1rm x 2 rest 2 min between rounds

sooooo i did:

45x5

65x5

75x3

85x3

95x8

95x8

for the record (not like you guys asked), i do not like thrusters.

2. “Jim Dandy”

50 box jumps 24/20 (used 20)

15 clean and jerks 135/95 (used 95)

75 dbl unders (did 225 singleunders)

25 box jumps

10 clean and jerks

50 dbl unders (150 singleunders)

15 box jumps

5 clean and jerks

25 dbl unders (75 singleunders)

will get doubleunders soon, jump rope came in mail. would have probably attempted them for this workout if it wasnt so many.

OH. and i also did 500m row x 1 and 300m row x 3.

you know, as a nice cool down.

THEN i went to work.

workworkworkworkwork.

then! to the gym.

and let me tell you, the dynamic is so different going in the afternoon.

i have to wait for things.

and we're learning how to share.

pullup

3 (last one on this set needed a tiny kip)

deadlift

45x5

135x5

185x5

225x5

275x1 (x7)

snatch grip deadlift

135x5x2

165x5x3

squat

45x10x2

95x5

135x5x5

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines