Martinpanduh's 6 week challenge!

Hi guys! Couldn't put in some time the past few days, I had overtime at work. We had a shoot for our Transition 2011 collection, it was hella fun but took the most of my day. Can't wait for the pictures but anyway, back to the grind today.

Heavy day for me! Pulled out 5x5 of 235lbs + bar squats, 135lbs + bar chest press (Oh my gosh, this must be a 5rm record for me or something! Really getting the technique down) and then 235lbs + bar deadlift (1x5 that is). After I ran for 20 minutes at 10kph/12kph for the last minute sprint. Pretty intense, went home and ate back my bodyweight in meat hahaha. Bad, but yeah.

At this point in time, I feel really really fit. Which is something right? I don't feel fat, but I can still see the tire around my stomach. I think for me to completely eliminate this at this point is to really clean up my diet. Right now, I'm eating 95% Paleo and when I say "clean it up" I really just mean eat less of everything. I eat a lot and the calories just seem to be catching up with me still.

I'll take pictures again by this week's end and we'll see if I'm any "fitter", but yeah in a nutshell. I like how I look/feel right now and any more progress would just be icing on the cake. Literally! See y'all tomorrow.

Great workout today! I completely empathize with you on feeling fit, but not necessarily seeing it reflected in your body. The mirror can be really frustrating because of that disconnect, but if you're liking how you look and feel, that's the most important thing.

"Did you go to the gym when you were alive?"
"I died in 1938. For exercise, we drank sloe gin and smoked Lucky Strikes."
- Dead Like Me

Great workout today! I completely empathize with you on feeling fit, but not necessarily seeing it reflected in your body. The mirror can be really frustrating because of that disconnect, but if you're liking how you look and feel, that's the most important thing.

You know what's funny though, I can definitely see myself bulking up in some right places. Some = my traps are huge, my delts are getting there etc. But yeah the uphill climb towards a smaller stomach really is taking a while. I can attest, to some extent, that it is flatter in profile (it definitely is) but yeah, I feel it's going to take a lot more for me to lose all this excess baggage. The good thing is, I feel if we all stick together, we'll all make it.

Anyway, "light" day again today! Things are getting heavier and heavier. Today, I did 5x5 of 80lbs + bar Overhead Press! It wasn't as hard as I imagined it to be, powered through and made it with perfect form. Then I did 90lbs + bar Bentover Row. Then I did 5x5 50lbs + bar Bicep Curls on the EZ bar. In between each exercise, I did 3x5 reps of Chin Ups. Getting there, I must say.

At the end for some "MetCon", I did 60lbs + bar 5x5 of the Bear Complex. Took graduating rests in between each set, from 1 minute to 2:30 minutes before final set. Pretty tiring, but not as bad as yesterday.

Diet today could have been better, was at a shoot all day for our Childrenswear and the only food on set was brownies and KFC. I ate one brownie FML but it's okay. I felt coerced, but whatever. Tomorrow's another day! Goodluck to everyone.

Hey guys! How was your weekend? Penultimate for us before the challenge ends right? Let's make the best of it. Let's see, all in all I only got to put in 3 workouts this week. Including today, I had a busy past work-week: had several shoots for our upcoming collection (stayed late in the office) and some store construction to oversee. Friday, took a mental hit at work and was pretty much too lazy to go to the gym. Saturday, went to my friend's despedida (going away party) and drank three bottles of beer. Could've been worse but I literally felt like I took two steps back, at any rate. Diet could've been better too.

Okay okay so here we go! I took pictures again, be warned though--not much has changed from my pictures at the start of the challenge. Felt pretty bummed about that, but I took measurements again. As of last time: my chest was 41 inches and my stomach was 40. Today, both are still the same at each widest part. Bummer but at least I'm stronger and can run faster now. Here are the pictures: excuse my swimming shorts, rowing shorts were in the wash so--

Posted ImagePosted Image

Not anywhere near I'd like to be right now but like I said, I feel good about myself. It's definitely the diet that is hindering my progress. In terms of Strength though, I'm progressing like crazy but in terms of weight loss, I'm at a standstill. Crap. Bonus, here's a picture of my flexed ~muscles~ to just show that at least I am doing something right.

Anyway here's my workout today:

20 minute interval run on the treadmill, 3 minutes/2/1 of 8kph/10/12. Sprinted the last minute!

5x7 reps of The Bear Complex. The first rep at 55lbs + bar/60/65/70/75lbs + bar at the final set.

Oh my gosh, I have to say it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I'd say the sense of dread and "hardship" that goes into each mental prep (for each set) is similar to my 270lbs+++ squats. Coming into each set after the 65lbs + bar mark, by the second rep I'd be tired as hell. My grip would be giving and it's a mental challenge to pull through. But pull through I did (except I dropped the bar on my final final rep, but no biggie).

It's just like they say, no pain, no gain. Hoping to do a better job this week! Yowza I'm tired! Good luck to everyone!

Hey guys! Just checking in! Had an okay day today, diet-wise but at one point I ate a slice of cake. OMFG, okay maybe half a slice. It was funny because I hadn't eaten cake in a long time, and I thought to myself it was high time (lol when is it ever high time to eat a piece of simple sugar and chocolate?!) I ought to try it again. The minute I finished putting the last bite into my mouth, I look down at my plate and I heard myself say (albeit loud and a bit brokenly) "Oh my god, I just ate... CAKE" and my office mates couldn't help but laugh hahaha. It's all good though.

Heavy day today!

5x5 (with 5 sets of graduated warm ups) of 240lbs + bar Squats.

5x5 (with 2 sets of warm ups) of 140lbs + bar Chest Press. STALL! I ended up doing 5/5/5/3/3 but I'm sure to conquer this next workout, you have my word.

1x5 of 240lbs + bar Deadlifts. Grip is an issue but nothing I can't power through.

After everything, put in a 20 minute run at 10kph with the final minute at a 12kph sprint. Pretty intense, felt super winded after. Great workout. Looking forward to accomplishing more the rest of this week! The final week, as it is!

Good luck with everyone and make it count!

Hahaha thanks for the advice guys! Realistically speaking, I just find it so hard to resist the occasional nibble when there's sweets all around me 24/7. You know how you have a lull in the office and you walk around, lo and behold there's a motha effing cake in the pantry from one of our clients. But yeah anyway, I'll try harder. Today the only bad things I ate were these bananas coated in sugar (Filipino snack) and I can't say I don't regret it. Whatever.

Light day today! "Light", I should say.

5x5 (with 2 warm up sets) of 85lbs + bar Overhead Press. Starting to be insanely difficult, had to take graduated rests in between sets.

5x5 (with 2 warm up sets) of 95lbs + bar Bent Over Row. Difficult, but okay.

5x5 55lbs + ez bar Bicep Curl. Moved up 5lbs in this exercise but will definitely need to train more this level before moving on.

In between each rep, I did 5 reps of chin ups (total of 3 sets). After everything, I did 5x5 of Bear Complex at 65lbs + bar. Super tiring but not as difficult as the 5x7 (graduating weights) I do every Sunday. Pretty awesome.

Heavy day tomorrow! See y'all!

P.S

I got on the scale today, just for kicks and it read I was 218lbs or something. Curious, at this point I really am starting to believe that my muscle mass is gaining like crazy. Who knows. Cheers!

Good day today, diet-wise! Didn't succumb to any evil sweets lying around in the office.

Heavy workout today:

5x5 Squat of 245lbs + bar. Manageable, took 1 minute rests between each set.

5x5 Chest Press of 140lbs + bar. Finally finished this off, it was difficult but I powered through it.

1x5 of Deadlifts 245lbs + bar. Grip is a bitch but I can stomach it for 5 reps.

Afterwards, ran for 20 minutes at 10kph (12kph at the final minute sprint) and wow, it really is getting easier and easier. Not much courage to go beyond 20 minutes for now since I'm so winded after that last minute sprint. I really hate running, but I know I'm good at sprints so this is my compromise. The shorter the better.

Goodluck guys! No workout for me tomorrow, I have to attend this ball(!) for work. Cheers!

Hey guys! Last two days of the challenge, I didn't get to go to the gym the past three days. Terrible, and I went to a party both Friday and Saturday night--the usual rounds of soda and alcohol. Two steps back but tried to make up for it today. Light day at the gym:

3x5 Chin Ups. Got easier today, I must say. I got my chin up over the bar for all 15 reps.

5x5 85lbs + bar Overhead Press. Got to finish one set for 90lbs + bar but coming into the second set, I couldn't even lift it. So I scaled it back to 85lbs + bar--also for the next couple of workouts so I can bring myself up to 90.

5x5 100lbs + bar Bent Over Row. Getting difficult.

5x5 55lbs + bar Bicep Curl. Still having a hard time but completed all sets.

After everything, pulled out 5x5 70lbs + bar Bear Complex for cardio/metcon. It was brutal on the grips, but powered through. Good workout, can't say the same about diet.

More on my recap tomorrow! Cheers everyone!

End of challenge report! Before anything else, I'm just going to put it on here. I had a light LIGHT day today.

3x5 Chin Ups.

5x5 Overhead Press at 85lbs + bar.

5x5 Bent Over Row at 105lbs + bar

5x5 Bicep Curls at 55lbs + EZ bar.

Was supposed to do 70lbs + bar 5x5 of Bear Complex but my legs still hurt from yesterday so I figured I should give myself a break. No regrets. Okay, now on the assessment.

Looking back, I realize now that I didn't set myself any concrete goals (bad) at the start of the challenge. I blindly put my goals to losing 2lbs/week and exercising a whole lot more. Needless to say, I didn't crush my goals but I worked at it. I could've just been a little smarter about things.

To sum things up, no I am still at 213lbs more or less. 215lbs on bad days even. But at the start of the challenge, I measured (and took pictures) of my body and my waist came in at 40 inches. I checked again today and it's a whopping 39! Wuhoo, I'll take it. In terms of my workouts, I've steadily progressed:

I got my running stamina back. At the start of the challenge, I could not run 20 minutes straight for 10kph, I would get winded finishing it at 8kph. Now I'm running regular 20 minute sprints at 10kph and looking to increase my mileage. I used to be able to run a mean 5k (peak was at 21 minutes) and I'm looking to edge my way back.

In terms of the weights, after a long hiatus, I got my Squat back to 250lbs + bar at 5x5--I feel stronger about this now, I remember at that point a few challenges ago, it took me 5 minutes to rest in between each set. Now I just take a minute. At this point, I will take longer amounts of time (a week) at each weight point so as to let my body adjust before I surge forward, hoping to break 300 pounds eventually without resting too much. Chest Press also took a significant gain, an all-time high of 140lbs + bar 5x5. Overhead press as well at 85lbs + bar. I'm looking forward to increase gradually all of these working weights, all these goals I will outline in our next challenge.

The largest part of my failure this challenge (in not losing enough fat) is mainly diet. Just today, I let myself mindlessly eat 5 pieces of this Chinese pastry made out of beans. Not entirely carbohydrates but not exactly paleo either, it's these little things that bog my progress down. Next challenge, I resolve to make a log for all of my food intake as to get a handle on this baby.

To sum it all up, Fitness wise--I give myself a resounding A for getting back on the horse and edging my way back to my varsity self (or even stronger, at that). Weight Loss/Diet wise, I give myself a C. Props for maintaining the Paleo diet (which is second nature to me at this point) but the lower grade for consuming way too much calories to null all that exercise. It's a shame, but oh well--at least I feel fit!

Looking forward to the next challenge, I'll see you guys there!

To sum things up, no I am still at 213lbs more or less. 215lbs on bad days even. But at the start of the challenge, I measured (and took pictures) of my body and my waist came in at 40 inches. I checked again today and it's a whopping 39! Wuhoo, I'll take it. In terms of my workouts, I've steadily progressed.

I know you would've liked to have lost more weight in terms of sheer pounds, but as long as your lifts were progressing, I don't see anything inherently bad in those numbers. It's when you stall out with your lifts, but are still gaining (or not losing) weight that it might be a problematic sign. Good go around this time, especially with your strength training...I will catch you yet!

"Did you go to the gym when you were alive?"
"I died in 1938. For exercise, we drank sloe gin and smoked Lucky Strikes."
- Dead Like Me

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines