Caelonna's first challenge

Caelonna

So, I used to be really good at climbing (trees, walls, fences, rocks), but having 2 kids in two years forced me out of shape.  I would love to get back into climbing, but I know it's going to take a while, especially since I'm still in the recovery stage from baby #2. 

goal 1-> get stronger: hold 9 lbs with either arm for 15 min easily. 

I just had a baby, so technically I'm not supposed to be doing any exercise at all.  But I've been told carrying my newborn is ok, so I figure to get really good at that.  I can already hold her for 6 min before my arm starts to burn, so this will about double that. (4 stamina, 1 strength)

goal 2-> get healthier: eat 3 servings of veggies a day. 

I like veggies, I just forget to eat them.  Since we have a garden, I virtually free, unlimited access to them and I still forget.  So hopefully this will help me be healthier and eat all that lettuce and spinach before it goes to seed. (4 Con, 1 Wis)

goal 3-> live better: babyproof the living room against my 1-year-old apprentice. 

We used to just put things up high that we didn't want her to have, which was fine until she discovered the climb skill.  We have a lot of stuff that we've just been "storing" on my husband's desk, so now I have to find those things a home that my toddler can't get into.   (5 Wis)

It's not really a goal, but I also want to spend the next 6 weeks assessing my strength/dex.  I used to know myself really well, but pregnancy does weird things to you, and knowing what I can do goes a long way to keeping me from getting hurt while climbing.  I climbed for about 15 years and my worst injury ever was jammed elbows.  I'd like to keep it that way.

lvl 1 elven assasin

str: 2  dex: 4  sta: 3  con: 2  wis: 3  cha: 1

Challenge #1

Eating more veggies:

Monday: I don't remember what I had for lunch, but we had curry for dinner with carrots, celery, bell peppers & lettuce.  I'm guessing there was 4 servings of veggies total and I ate about 1/2, so 2 servings for the day.

Tuesday: I think I managed 4 servings of greens.  For lunch I pulled up a lettuce plant (approx 20 leaves) and put it in two wraps.  I think that was about 2 servings.  Then we had spinach (& lettuce & radish greens) chicken alfredo for dinner that probably contained 8 cups of green stuff and I ate about 1/4 of it so that was another two servings.

I need to find a good way to measure veggies.  I'm not very good at figuring out what a serving actually is.

lvl 1 elven assasin

Challenge #1

Congratulations! My training buddy gave birth 2 weeks ago, walking around with a newborn is actually heavier than i expected! I'm impressed you're starting now instead of using that excellent excuse to put it off. You've got great goals and a solid attainable plan. Good luck! :)

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

I've been out of the loop exercise-wise since I got pregnant with my first.  I was too sick then too tired, then recovering from childbirth, then I got pregnant again was the cycle repeated.  This time I'd like to try to get at least some climbing in before getting pregnant again. 

For veggies:

wednesday went well, I had 2 servings of lettuce at lunch and frozen green beans at dinner since I was too tired to bother washing greens for a salad.

Thursday went badly,  I had 1 serving of snow peas for lunch, but we went out for dinner and I picked good PA Dutch cooking over veggies :P

I've found that holding my newborn in my arms is more dangerous than I realised since it causes my toddler to not differentiate between the two of us and just try to climb us both.  So I have to figure out a way to hold her such that she doesn't get stepped on/used as a grab bar.  It probably means doing more chores one-handed rather than just leaving her on the couch.

lvl 1 elven assasin

Challenge #1

Congrats on the new baby!  I'm amazed that you're even looking into fitness and diet at this point.  It took me months after each kid to start getting enough sleep to feel even slightly human again.

Do you have a wrap or other baby carrier?  That might be a good way to be hands-free while still holding the newborn.  For exercises, you might want to look into some of the playground workout resources on the main nerdfitness site.  As soon as your newborn is ready to camp out in the stroller for a bit, it might not be so hard to get a mini-workout in while you play with your toddler at the playground. 

Good luck with your goals (and with handling two very young kids).  :)

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

weekends aren't so good for me.  Also, my memory is horrible.

I can't remember what I ate on friday, but I think there were at least 2 helpings of lettuce.  I know we went out for dinner Saturday night, but I don't think the one piece of lettuce and slice of tomato really count as a serving of veggies.  Sunday was better, I had 2 1/2 servings of veggies at dinner, we made burritos with and spinach, snow peas.  I think I used 2 cups of spinach and 1/2 cup  of snap peas, but I didn't actually measure.

My newborn has passed the 10lb mark, so that makes holding her harder too.  I haven't even started babyproofing, since I need my husband to help figure out where to put things, and somehow other things keep happening instead.  :P

Nymeria: I actually have 2 wraps and 2 baby carriers which I use them a bit for both kids.  I don't think I could survive without them :)  Unfortunately, I probably won't have transportation for several months(until we can buy a minivan), and we live too far away from the playground to walk.  So it will be a while before I can do playground-based exercises.

lvl 1 elven assasin

Challenge #1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines