Gamer's Guild

Welcome, fellow gamers! If you love playing games, are they video games, card games, role playing games or something else, you're welcome to join, just sign up! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnL943o3CTUvdEJDT3Vvdkc5Rzk4VUdRbXFWcHNvQXc#gid=4

This group is for us who love games, to keep each others accountable for progress in the fitnessy things, be it food/diet, exercise or something else. Let's enjoy the world of fitness as we do the games we play!

Aw, I wish this group existed before I signed up for mine (although I am very happy with my current group!). I might have to sneak in here if you guys start talking about games.

*Posy*

Current Challenge

Consulting Knights in the TARDIS

Previous Challenges: One

True Neutral Human Adventurer with Ranger-Druid aspirationsCurrent Stats: LVL 2 || (STR) 6 || (DEX) 4 || (STA) 5 || (CON) 3.5 || (WIS) 9.5 || (CHA) 4.5

Yay! I found one that is still open :D And it involves GAMES. 

Although I admit, my gamer badge is a bit dusty at the moment. Last proper game I played was Bioshock, though I have been sneaking in some classic Harvest Moon on my phone here and there.

Level 2 Human AdventurerStrength: 2.5 / Dexterity: 4 / Stamina: 2.5 / Constitution: 3.5 / Wisdom: 8 / Charisma: 3

CURRENT challenge thread

First challenge thread

Very glad to see this on the list when I checked today!

I don't have a lot of time for video games lately, so my main focus is honing my Halo skills with the husband when we're home together.

Other than that (in recent history): Rock Band with the kiddo and Skyrim (I finally let myself play it... not very far along tho.)

Level 3 Adventurer with her eyes set on becoming an Assassin.

STR 7 DEX 5  +  STA 3  +  CON 5  +  WIS 7  +  CHA 6

Current Challenge! | Member of RPG Fanatics!

Hello and welcome, fellow gamers! As some kind of introduction, we could all answer some questions. Feel free to add your own! 

1. What are the games you're playing now/have been playing lately?

2. Any hints of how you've gamified your exercising, or got exercising to give the same kind of thrills you get from playing games? Hints of what you've thought to do are welcome aswell :)

For my answers: 

1. I've been playing a lot of Skyrim lately, which has been really awesome! I'm a bit in a "what should i play" situation with games at the moment, as I've mainly enjoyed playing multiplayer games with the thought of improvement as video- and trading card games (WoW, Sc2, Pokemon TCG, Magic TCG), but for the moment I don't have any of those things. If you know some competitive games (video, board, tcg, whatever) that you would recommend, I'd be happy to know! But even though I know that I will only be playing Skyrim for a "short" while (another 100 hours maybe :D), i really enjoy it right now! 

2. I've been thinking about going to do some parkour while roleplaying my Skyrim character, though i think my skills are not really great enough to keep in character yet. Also, I've been doing some geocaching, and I could do some more! After all, who doesn't love finding treasures?

Sadly, very little. I moved recently, and a combination of crazy long commute and added responsibilities at work has left me with so little time. I really WANT to play Journey on the PS3 and also the newest SimCity...

2. Any hints of how you've gamified your exercising, or got exercising to give the same kind of thrills you get from playing games? Hints of what you've thought to do are welcome aswell

Well, I am using the Nike App on my smartphone, and it gives me meaningless trophy badges WHICH I LOVE I MUST EARN ALL THE BADGES ALL THE BADGES RIGHT NOW ARGH which help motivate me to workout :D

I also used to play DDR ... like, a whole lot o.o 

Level 2 Human AdventurerStrength: 2.5 / Dexterity: 4 / Stamina: 2.5 / Constitution: 3.5 / Wisdom: 8 / Charisma: 3

CURRENT challenge thread

First challenge thread

2. Any hints of how you've gamified your exercising, or got exercising to give the same kind of thrills you get from playing games? Hints of what you've thought to do are welcome aswell :)

1) I was playing Painkiller last week and the stake-gun in that game.... it's glorious.  Nothing cooler than ragdoll physics and spiking monsters in the head and having them stick to the walls.  Was playing dead island-riptide rush (I think it's a bit underrated) last week as well.  I was GOING to get skyrim last 6-week challenge as a reward, but I feel it would distract me too much so I refrained.  Instead, I'm putting that money into making my home-gym which will consist of heavy duty sandbags, tires, a sledgehammer, and a 250 pound tractor tire for destroying/flipping. 

2) how i've gamefied.... well; I think what I'm planning on doing for a workout is kind of like how a warrior would train.  I do shovelglove; which is a workout were you weild a sledgehammer.  It's been very fun- and if the activity is fun then you're more likely to stick with it right?   Also, when you think 'warrior' what kind of training comes to mind besides wielding a weapon?  I think of lifting heavy stuff to bulk up; so the tire workout I'm going to be trying this week also fits into that.  whacking a tire with a sledgehammer is not only tiring, and fun, it's also pretty badass. 

Also; hint hint wink whink- tire training is how the spartans got jacked in the movie 300.  So as I drop the weight; in a few months I may very well be leonidas-esk.

btw, Subscribed to all your threads and I hope you do the same.  Accountability for the Gamer's Guild: GG.

1. What are the games you're playing now/have been playing lately? Halo 4/Rock Band 3. Skyrim has been collecting dust due to lack of time. :/

2. Any hints of how you've gamified your exercising, or got exercising to give the same kind of thrills you get from playing games? Hints of what you've thought to do are welcome aswell. I've seen some awesome game-related workouts that look fun, but I can't do any of them yet. I'm looking forward to that! Would like to do more to train for long treks--long treks one might have to take if one had to vacate their home for some reason (zombies?) with no real plans to return! ;)

I was just reading the article on Nerd Fitness about leveling up your life, and there Steve had a really good point that I've been thinking about myself aswell. He said:

"In the game of life, reward yourself with stuff that will reward you back".

At least for me this is a huge one; I'm used to reward myself with food, and that just backtracks the progress! So I'm asking you, fellow gamers, in the game of life, what are your quest rewards and equivalents to new shiny armour or achievements? What are your rewards that will reward you back? I'm looking towards your answers, and great hints!

Hello All!! 

I am excited about our group, i've been checking out a few of your posts, all the goals seem awesome.  

1 - sadly, it's been a while since i've played anything. i got Halo 4, and have barely played a few times since getting it.  My xbox live is now used mostly for netflix! but i do want to start up again.. what are good recommendations? 

2 - I agree with tamzilla, i wanna try the cool game-workouts but not at that level with my knee yet.  although i travelled to seattle/vancouver recently and pretended we were in a game as we were hiking through the mountains lol . since i am eternally 11 yrs old in my head, i actually play games like at parks like a little kid. 

I don't think I usually reward myself with rewards that will give back.  Food, electronics, etc come to mind lol

but recently there have been a few new toys i want to get - a new bike, thai pads.. and i refuse to get them until i get to a certain level in my rehab for my knee.  those will def give back.

i don't do this, but here's an idea - everytime you finish some small level (move from 2 sets to 3 sets, etc), put a small amount of money aside.  at the end of the quarter (or 6 week challenge), reward yourself with a trip or put the money toward a life goal! 

2 - although i travelled to seattle/vancouver recently and pretended we were in a game as we were hiking through the mountains lol . since i am eternally 11 yrs old in my head, i actually play games like at parks like a little kid. 

Love it! I see myself as a member of the Fellowship when I go hiking, sometimes! ;) Nice to meet you!

I was just reading the article on Nerd Fitness about leveling up your life, and there Steve had a really good point that I've been thinking about myself aswell. He said:

"In the game of life, reward yourself with stuff that will reward you back".

At least for me this is a huge one; I'm used to reward myself with food, and that just backtracks the progress! So I'm asking you, fellow gamers, in the game of life, what are your quest rewards and equivalents to new shiny armour or achievements? What are your rewards that will reward you back? I'm looking towards your answers, and great hints!

I have only given a few moments of thought on how to reward myself... food was a reward in the past, for sure. "Oh, I lost 3 pounds this week! I can now have ice cream!" Oy! I'm thinking a new shirt or something... maybe a piece of gear that will make hiking easier, for when the weather isn't 100+! :)

well as a reward, you can't get better than clothes.  I mean; you're seriously WEARING the proof that you're awesome.  Everytime you put a shirt or pants that are a size smaller; it's like "Yeah, I did that". 

I just recently got myself 2 t-shirts and I got 1 that is a size smaller.  Now I have a new goal to work towards. 

Another option is exercise equipment.  maybe your shoes are starting to wear out pretty bad from all the pavement hitting that's been done.  New sneakers are the same as clothes- always a constant reminder that you're doing great. 

I think a bit of a weird one would also be kitchen tools.  I mean; if you're cooking new dishes and trying to be healthy, then a stick blender or a crockpot or one of those tiny 10 dollar charcoal grills add a new dimension to your cooking.  It motivates you to try using it and looking at recipes. it broadens your culinary horizons. 

well as a reward, you can't get better than clothes.  I mean; you're seriously WEARING the proof that you're awesome.  Everytime you put a shirt or pants that are a size smaller; it's like "Yeah, I did that". 

I just recently got myself 2 t-shirts and I got 1 that is a size smaller.  Now I have a new goal to work towards. 

Another option is exercise equipment.  

I think a bit of a weird one would also be kitchen tools.  I mean; if you're cooking new dishes and trying to be healthy, then a stick blender or a crockpot or one of those tiny 10 dollar charcoal grills add a new dimension to your cooking.  It motivates you to try using it and looking at recipes. it broadens your culinary horizons. 

Agree! For me, part of my reward for all of this will be getting back to those cool pairs of jeans I have... they're not the old clothes I want to fit back into sort of thing, just a few pounds to much for them to fit comfortably right now! After that, on to all new clothes for me!

I need to get a new exercise mat, and I would love to get a stick blender! All excellent ideas.

So I know I am not officially a part of this guild, but I thought you guys could appreciate this:

I REALLY need to meditate today. I had a bit of a tragedy. After 5 wonderful years of companionship my PS3 broke (for good) today. I'm still moping and stressing out about it. I ran through all of my options and it looks like the best thing to do is drive 60 miles tomorrow after work to pick up a new one for $300 (which I was saving towards getting a PS4 when it comes out, which I actually need to use to fix my car that is not running at the moment, which I also need to use to pay doctors' bills/rent/tuition). So hopefully that will work out and I will be a little less upset tomorrow. I'm going to be stressed about the money for awhile, though. So many money things going on right now. It seems a little absurd to put anything towards a new video game console, but hopefully some of my fellow nerds here will understand. I feel a little silly even admitting how much this is bothering me haha, but whatever. It's a good thing I'm doing this challenge, which is motivating me not to get all emotional and binge, and I think eating well and meditating and exercising and all that jazz is make me handle this better than I normally would.

*Posy*

Current Challenge

Consulting Knights in the TARDIS

Previous Challenges: One

True Neutral Human Adventurer with Ranger-Druid aspirationsCurrent Stats: LVL 2 || (STR) 6 || (DEX) 4 || (STA) 5 || (CON) 3.5 || (WIS) 9.5 || (CHA) 4.5

You know, I think I can relate. We've had an xbox go out on us, and the moment we had the funds, we got a new one! It was like, the one thing my husband and I could do together at the time, and it seemed the right call! ;)

Figured I would bump our thread since the new week's mini-challenge is out.  We're supposed to eat a certain amount of grams of protein.  I did some rough estimates, and I'm having between 57-74 grams of protein.  I should be having 75 normally and 85 on workout days.  I'm not really hungry though so I'm not sure what to do to boost up protein; besides just chugging some milk which I would like to avoid (drank half gallons for years and it's a big reason why I'm so overweight).

How about all of you guys and gals?  How many grams are you having roughly?  Are you going to be doing the mini-challenge?  I'd like to starting tomorrow.

I'm still not where I need to be in the protein department, so this is an excellent challenge. I'm not going to reach that amount today, so I'll start counting the five days tomorrow!

I've had maybe 20 grams of protein from healthy sources today... but chicken is on the menu for dinner, so that'll bump it up!

I'm still stuck on eating carbs for breakfast (usually oatmeal)... so that's where my biggest change will lie!

We've made those, and really like them! My issue is the mornings I have to get up at 3:30. I don't want to cook at that hour of the morning, so I do the lazy thing and make oatmeal... all the while thinking it's not really good for me!

So, this morning I quit being a lazy baby and made myself an egg, slice of toast (I know, I know!), and had a small Greek yogurt. I know it's not Paleo, but it's a huge step up from the other yogurt I was eating, and it packs 8 grams of protein in one tiny cup! So, for breakfast I was around 20 grams! Yay!

they're perfectly fine when reheated.  I had them for weeks on the last challenge.  As long as you cook them for about 40 seconds they're fine.  If you overcook them, they can get a little rubbery and dry.  I hit my protein target today as well.  It's harder than I thought but when I reevaluated what I've been eating; I'm probably a little too under in calories.  The protein challenge is a good idea. I feel....clearer today having done the challenge today and yesterday.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines